footyfan01
BarrileteCosmico
zigra
LeVersacci
M99
38 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 8 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 33 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 8 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I wouldn't mind Jaime dying tbh.

I actually kind of secretly root for the white walkers. I somehow like them a lot. Laughing

Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 8 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 33 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 8 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by Glory Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 am

First time, a GoT trailer that didnt surprise me. Expected them to show pretty much all of those. Lol even ended with a teeny tiny shot of WW. But then again, it is war, it is the end, so yea fair enough.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Wanted to post something the Night King actor shared on EW. Spoilers.

Spoiler:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 pm

M99 wrote:Wanted to post something the Night King actor shared on EW. Spoilers.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am

RealGunner wrote:
M99 wrote:Wanted to post something the Night King actor shared on EW. Spoilers.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 am

Been binging all of GOT for the past month. Upon rewatch, it's very clear that GOT peaked in S4. Those last 4 episodes of the season where we got: Tyrion's trial by justice, trial by combat, Tywin's death, and the fight at the wall. Epic stuff.

...After that, the dialogue becomes less crisp, the character choices and arcs become more nonsensical and the show becomes more of a typical good vs evil fantasy show. We still get the occasional epic episode like Hardhome and some of the best acting in the series, but there's a definite drop in quality. Kind of a shame really. Wonder what the show could be if they never lost their raw material.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:09 am

Yep, i've always said it, S4 was peak GoT.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Been binging all of GOT for the past month. Upon rewatch, it's very clear that GOT peaked in S4. Those last 4 episodes of the season where we got: Tyrion's trial by justice, trial by combat, Tywin's death, and the fight at the wall. Epic stuff.

...After that, the dialogue becomes less crisp, the character choices and arcs become more nonsensical and the show becomes more of a typical good vs evil fantasy show. We still get the occasional epic episode like Hardhome and some of the best acting in the series, but there's a definite drop in quality. Kind of a shame really. Wonder what the show could be if they never lost their raw material.

Fully agree.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 pm

S5 was a step down but S6 for me is at the very top with S4.

rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 pm

Currently through the middle of S6. Will withhold judgement until I finish up, but the first half of the season feels very much in line with S5.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:20 am

S6 is my favourite season of all 7 although S4 is a close one. It has like 3 of my top 5 GoT episodes and a bunch of other memorable moments like Jon‘s return, The Hound‘s return, Sansa/Jon reunion, Bran visions etc...

So I can‘t agree that the quality drops altogether after S4, just that S5 is a bum compared to the masterpiece that is S4. I like S7 more than S2 as well.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 am

I also prefer S6 to S4, and maybe my favourite one. S7 had some Goat episodes, some so so and some outright ridiculous like when Jon et al decided to cross the wall expendable style.
The humongous GoT fan inside me doesn't want to subscribe to the theory that the show is getting trashy, let's hope it's not the case and we finish it on highest note. The best show in history deserves to get farewell it deserves.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 am

What!? Show went downhill after they stopped following the books. So many plotholes.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 am

silver wrote:What!? Show went downhill after they stopped following the books. So many plotholes.

Battle of the Bastards, Hardhome, The Winds of Winter, The Door are top 5 episodes in all seasons, how is that going downhill?

Books started going downhill after ASOS if anything.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:58 am

S6 had good moments but pretty bad writing. They were bending over backwards to make Ramsey invincible before Jon and Sansa heroically defeated him. Also completely shat over The North Remembers, seeing season 2 and 3 and hearing those words make me hurt.

Sapochnik's episodes were fantastic, Hold The Door was amazing as well but lets not forget Arya vs Waif.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am

M99 wrote:S6 had good moments but pretty bad writing. They were bending over backwards to make Ramsey invincible before Jon and Sansa heroically defeated him. Also completely shat over The North Remembers, seeing season 2 and 3 and hearing those words make me hurt.

Sapochnik's episodes were fantastic, Hold The Door was amazing as well but lets not forget Arya vs Waif.

The north remembers is plain BS, which is in line with the books. It'd be more unrealistic that it would always hold true. Classic GRRM.

"The north remembers" but let 90% of us betray the Starks. It is even more through in the books with more time to elaborate on each house. Like that insane chapter of Davos in White Harbor where all the Manderlys recite out of scumbagness or fear that Robb turned into a wolf and killed his own men during the red wedding. Or the Umbers with one going to each side (Lannister vs north). Or the Boltons actually carrying out the red wedding. Or the Karstarks peacing out after Rickard's death.

Ramsey, 20-good-men aside, was much better done in the shows than in the books imo. He was a bigger part in the shows and was unbelievably well played by the actor. That was a GOAT TV villain. Makes you forget about some POS like Joffrey who was still great in his time. The pay off with Battle of the Bastards is a top 3 episode for me. Not only is the battle incredible, that last scene of Jon destroying him in the courtyard is perfect.

Book Ramsey gave me a sense of disgust and it's extremely clear that he is a monster, but show Ramsey took it to next level with how they handled for me. That "invincibility" added to sense of desperation regarding everything that had to do with him. Like when he staged Theon's escape at the start only to hunt him again so Theon would break and never try to to escape again. His whole arc played like that with the viewer imo.

Last edited by rincon on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

You can nitpick any season of any show if you really want to. Like the showrunners in the beloved season 2 killing Renly by some BS ghost magic which is never used again and making all of his bannermen join Stannis just so Tyrion gets a triumphic win at the end of the season. But that would be a disservice to what actually happened.

These are really minor things which shouldn‘t affect the bigger picture. Most people agree that Ramsay was an incredible villain, which is what made Battle of the Bastards so satisfying, because if he was vanilla no one would care even if you splatter 500,000,000 on an episode.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm

rincon wrote:
M99 wrote:S6 had good moments but pretty bad writing. They were bending over backwards to make Ramsey invincible before Jon and Sansa heroically defeated him. Also completely shat over The North Remembers, seeing season 2 and 3 and hearing those words make me hurt.

The north remembers is plain BS, which is in line with the books. It'd be more unrealistic that it would always hold true. Classic GRRM.

"The north remembers" but let 90% of us betray the Starks. It is even more through in the books with more time to elaborate on each house. Like that insane chapter of Davos in White Harbor where all the Manderlys recite out of scumbagness or fear that Robb turned into a wolf and killed his own men during the red wedding. Or the Umbers with one going to each side (Lannister vs north). Or the Boltons actually carrying out the red wedding. Or the Karstarks peacing out after Rickard's death.

Ramsey, 20-good-men aside, was much better done in the shows than in the books imo. He was a bigger part in the shows and was unbelievably well played by the actor. That was a GOAT TV villain. Makes you forget about some POS like Joffrey who was still great in his time. The pay off with Battle of the Bastards is a top 3 episode for me. Not only is the battle incredible, that last scene of Jon destroying him in the courtyard is perfect.

Ummm, are you forgetting that Manderly was only putting on a show because his son was a hostage? Once his son was free he kills the three Freys and have them cooked in a pie, frees Davos, and orders him to rescue Rickon. He literally says this.

Spoiler:

That Umber uncle also sides with Boltons because of Greatjon being hostage. Not because paraphrasing "my father was a *bleep*, your father was a *bleep*, jon snow let wildlings through, heres rickon"

Karstarks have a valid reason, it makes sense in both shows and books they will side against the family that killed their lord. Boltons are opportunists who took over the Starks, the North Remembers mainly refers to the Red Wedding, why the hell would Boltons take revenge on themselves?

rincon wrote:Book Ramsey gave me a sense of disgust and it's extremely clear that he is a monster, but show Ramsey took it to next level with how they handled for me. That "invincibility" added to sense of desperation regarding everything that had to do with him. Like when he staged Theon's escape at the start only to hunt him again so Theon would break and never try to to escape again. His whole arc played like that with the viewer imo.

I never referred to the books in my post, there is nothing to compare any way because GRRM has not written Battle Of Ice yet. I agree the actors did a fantastic job but Ramsey had ludicrous levels of plot armor prior just to set up the payoff of Jon/Sansa killing him. Not just season 6 but throughout the show. Chasing off the best iron islanders shirtless, ruining the best military tactician of the series with 20 good men who "know the terrain" better, having one of the most loyal and trusted vassals of the Starks hand him Rickon on a silver platter.

urbaNRoots wrote:You can nitpick any season of any show if you really want to. Like the showrunners in the beloved season 2 killing Renly by some BS ghost magic which is never used again and making all of his bannermen join Stannis just so Tyrion gets a triumphic win at the end of the season. But that would be a disservice to what actually happened.

These are really minor things which shouldn‘t affect the bigger picture. Most people agree that Ramsay was an incredible villain, which is what made Battle of the Bastards so satisfying, because if he was vanilla no one would care even if you splatter 500,000,000 on an episode.

Renly was beloved by who exactly? He had no rightful claim to the throne, he and Stannis were very grey in season 2. Also what triumph did Tyrion get? His father got all the plaudits, Tyrion says that himself on his trial on how ungrateful the city was to him. And was the Lannisters winning really a happy ending? Tyrion survives but so does Cersei and Joffrey who were the biggest villains of the series at that point.

No one is saying Ramsay was not a good villain but he had incredible levels of plot armor and plot swords to make him seem invincible.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm

M99 wrote:
rincon wrote:

Ummm, are you forgetting that Manderly was only putting on a show because his son was a hostage? Once his son was free he kills the three Freys and have them cooked in a pie, frees Davos, and orders him to rescue Rickon. He literally says this.

Spoiler:

That Umber uncle also sides with Boltons because of Greatjon being hostage. Not because paraphrasing "my father was a *bleep*, your father was a *bleep*, jon snow let wildlings through, heres rickon"

Karstarks have a valid reason, it makes sense in both shows and books they will side against the family that killed their lord. Boltons are opportunists who took over the Starks, the North Remembers mainly refers to the Red Wedding, why the hell would Boltons take revenge on themselves?

I didn't forget, I just finished DWD last week. That was Wyman Manderly. Most of White Harbor was ready to kill Davos and carry on with their lives under the Lannisters if it weren't for him. The North Remembers is only "some of the North Remembers".

Hother Umber sides with Bolton. That he does it for the Greatjon doesn't mean so much in practical terms. In the end he had the choice to make, "Remember" as northman, like his brother Mors, or join Lannisters/Boltons/Frey. Hother takes half of the Umbers to support Bolton and co. This difference is all that matters for the war for the North that Stannis, Jon and co. are trying to win. It's why Jon even suggest that Mors "as a true northman" is the best choice for Warden of the North in Winterfell if Stannis wins. Hother might end up succeeding in both freeing the Greatjon and also having Stannis win, but that's hell of a gamble to play when he is adding forces to the opposite army in a crucial time. He chose to put the life of his nephew above the lives of everyone else.

Arnolf Karstark straight up doesn't care about anything but plotting so that he becomes the leader of his house, pledged to the Lannisters. He plots so that his brother (captive of Lannisters, head of the Karstarks) is killed as a response of Arnolf pledging the Karstarks to Stannis. While meaning to double cross Stannis the moment this is done, and go back to the Boltons/Lannisters as the big boss.

Boltons: They are northmen as well, enough said.

The North Remembers is not about the Red Wedding. That is just one example. It's about their own concept of the north, remembering old traditions, being united, "Winter is Coming", and of course not forgiving crap like the Red Wedding. If this Northern conspiracy does come to fruition, which is a big IF, then it will end with half of the north victorious, and the other half dead or defeated as they sided with the Lannisters. Because only half "remembered". An outcome that in terms of narrative is going to be the same as in the show.

It makes sense, the north (or anywhere else in GOT) is not monolithic. The Northerners are not above all the betrayal and BS that goes on everywhere else.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:57 pm

rincon wrote:
M99 wrote:
rincon wrote:

Spoiler:

I didn't forget, I just finished DWD last week. That was Wyman Manderly. Most of White Harbor was ready to kill Davos and carry on with their lives under the Lannisters if it weren't for him. The North Remembers is only "some of the North Remembers".

Hother Umber sides with Bolton. That he does it for the Greatjon doesn't mean so much in practical terms. In the end he had the choice to make, "Remember" as northman, like his brother Mors, or join Lannisters/Boltons/Frey. Hother takes half of the Umbers to support Bolton and co. This difference is all that matters for the war for the North that Stannis, Jon and co. are trying to win. It's why Jon even suggest that Mors "as a true northman" is the best choice for Warden of the North in Winterfell if Stannis wins. Hother might end up succeeding in both freeing the Greatjon and also having Stannis win, but that's hell of a gamble to play when he is adding forces to the opposite army in a crucial time. He chose to put the life of his nephew above the lives of everyone else.

Arnolf Karstark straight up doesn't care about anything but plotting so that he becomes the leader of his house, pledged to the Lannisters. He plots so that his brother (captive of Lannisters, head of the Karstarks) is killed as a response of Arnolf pledging the Karstarks to Stannis. While meaning to double cross Stannis the moment this is done, and go back to the Boltons/Lannisters as the big boss.

Boltons: They are northmen as well, enough said.

The North Remembers is not about the Red Wedding. That is just one example. It's about their own concept of the north, remembering old traditions, being united, "Winter is Coming", and of course not forgiving crap like the Red Wedding. If this Northern conspiracy does come to fruition, which is a big IF, then it will end with half of the north victorious, and the other half dead or defeated as they sided with the Lannisters. Because only half "remembered". An outcome that in terms of narrative is going to be the same as in the show.

It makes sense, the north (or anywhere else in GOT) is not monolithic. The Northerners are not above all the betrayal and BS that goes on everywhere else.

The others in White Harbor were putting on a show too. Wyman mentions it, says that one of his daughters thats engaged to one of the Freys was playing her part. Its only the maester that was supporting the Freys and he is later revealed to have been born a Lannister.

Hother supporting the Boltons is because of his nephew being being imprisoned. That does not mean he has forgotten. It does not make The North Remembers BS because he is forced to do something to protect his kin.

And Lord Wyman is not the only man who lost kin at your Red Wedding, Frey. Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the Greatjon, he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them, as Lady Hornwood ate her fingers

I don't get the point about Karstarks and the Boltons. The Karstarks and Boltons did not lose any kin at the Red Wedding. Karstarks abandoned Robb at the time, and Boltons were one of the instigators. The North Remembers in this instance refers to the Red Wedding, I know it is an old saying but in the events of the books, it applies to all the events that occured in the books.

Theon: The north remembers. The Red Wedding, Lady Hornwood's fingers, the sack of Winterfell, Deepwood Motte and Torrhen's Square, they remember all of it.

House Karstark has no reason to avenge any of these, their infantry was actually with Roose at the Red Wedding, implying they took part in it.

House Bolton has always been different. They warred with the Starks for centuries and even after being their subjects, rose up in rebellion a few times. Roose is an opportunist and the least likely guy to give a f about traditions. Once he saw Robb losing the war, he sold out to Tywin and made his family the most powerful in the North. This guy secretly flaying people, practicing the First Night, and marrying the fattest Frey girl just because Walder said the dowry will be equal to the girl's weight tells you of what type of a "Northerner" he is.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:49 pm

That's the thing, it's the North Remembers until it's not, and then it didn't count.

Boltons and Karstarks are among the biggest houses in the north and there they are. Karstark are directly related to the Starks, yet they have no problem with slaughtering Robb, Catelyn and co. Giving "Arya" to Ramsey Bolton of all people. Destroying Winterfell.

The North Remembers isn't only about the Red Wedding. Like Theon says in that quote you posted. Karstark were northerners (of course) when Ramsey tortures and starves Hornwood (a fellow northerner) to death?

Karstarks didn't lose any kin at the red wedding, yes. They did definitely lose their lord, Harrion, to Bolton and Lannister since first they tried to get him killed, and then they took him prisoner.

The response of the acting lord of the Karstarks (his brother?) to Harrion being hostage is to try to get him killed in prison, so Arnolf could be lord. Then get in closer to the Lannister by betraying Stannis and co. That's some prime Cersei planning right there for a northerner.

Its The-Cool-Guys-In-The North Remembers.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Anyway, the point was the show didn't shit over "The North Remembers" any more than the books did so far. There is just less cast and less time to go over so many details on TV than on books, but the narrative is similar. Jon had some smaller northern houses going against the Boltons, Karstarks and Umber. Close enough.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 pm

rincon wrote:Anyway, the point was the show didn't shit over "The North Remembers" any more than the books did so far. There is just less cast and less time to go over so many details on TV than on books, but the narrative is similar. Jon had some smaller northern houses going against the Boltons, Karstarks and Umber. Close enough.

I disagree on that. Just because two houses acted for their own gain does not make it BS. Nearly every other major house and even smaller houses like the mountain clans are doing their part to avenge the North. I understand why they did not do it in the show , they wanted Jon to be the underdog and Boltons to have the bigger army. They could have gone about it better rather than give Ramsay cheat codes. Battle of the Bastards was a massive spectacle but the writing leading up to I disliked.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 pm

From the first half of season 6 I can think of many things that do not work:

Entire Arya plot line

The consequences of Jon's death are never properly dealt with in depth. One would expect Jon being dead for 2 days would make him at least suffer some PTSD. Instead he comes back pretty much the same as the old Jon, the only caveat being that he deserts the Nights Watch and no one bat's an eye. S01E01 started with Ned beheading a deserter and yet there seem to be no consequences for Jon, who is also willing to use the wildlings in his own personal vendetta rather than to deal with the "true threat to the north"

Little finger flying from one end of the map to the other at an episode's notice

Every antagonist seems to have become more evil. All the guys we root for are in 1 team (Dany and Tyrion vs caricature slave owners, Sansa and Jon vs Boltons, Cersei becoming a vengeful drunkard with seemingly no redeeming qualities). In fact, when Ramsay kills his father and feeds his MIL and step brother to the dogs no one cares. When Euron kills his brother and ascends to king the first thing he says is "let's go murder my niece" and no one cares. Seems that Got lost a lot of the shades of Grey that was originally part of the appeal.

Bran storyline is just exposition with no character development except for Hold the Door. Does Meera even remember her brother died?

Edit: After finishing it my opinion has not changed. Battle of the Bastards and Sept of Baelor were GOAT. Hold the Door was an awesome moment. But these stand alone moments don't really make up for a lot of the lazy writing and nonsensical character choices that they made throughout the rest of the season.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 am

Having now finished the series, I can now confidently state...

S4 > S3 > S1 > S6 > S2 > S7 > S5

Although the beyond the wall episode of S7 was so ridiculous I'm tempted to rank it as the worst season
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:06 am

I agree. The shades of gray characters have completely disappeared in the last couple of seasons. Now its just pure good guy vs bad guy. The good guys have gotten more good, and the bad guys have gotten badder. There's a clear divide which has made it more conventional and more boring.

Furthermore its quite clear that they are rushing to close off all these storylines (which to be fair I blame the book more than the show writers). Rickon coming back and then dying straight away was one of the worst (and that's just off the top of my head).

I also really enjoyed the political aspects of Westeros and all these houses trying to gain power. Now its just round up all the good guys left vs White Walkers.

silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next