World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran)

+49
nasir6371
juvealbanian
Babun
zenmaster
phenom
LeBéninois
Zees
Cruijf
farfan
M99
Mr Nick09
sportsczy
Cyborg
VivaStPauli
Doc
halamadrid2
Lucifer
Unique
Winter is Coming
Bankz
McLewis
jibers
Jay29
Kaladin
Freeza
BarcaLearning
Art Morte
Luca
rincon
BarrileteCosmico
zigra
RealGunner
Nishankly
BusterLfc
Firenze
Robespierre
messixaviesta
iftikhar
Hapless_Hans
FennecFox7
Myesyats
S
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Demon of Carthage
futbol_bill
El Gunner
Sina
Zagadka
urbaNRoots
53 posters

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

Who will qualify? (Select two teams)

World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_lcap38%World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]
World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_lcap50%World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 8 ]
World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_lcap12%World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_lcap0%World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Empty World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran)

Post by urbaNRoots Sun May 13, 2018 10:57 pm

World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) TWXxm2g
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Empty Re: World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran)

Post by Zagadka Sat May 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Portugal had another groupstage exit here. I was studying patterns in international football and how lowest of lows usually follow highest of high (winning Euros) and it could very well happen here.

The group and fixture format is very similar to last WC for Portugal. They got trashed by Germany first game, GD ruined, and even 4 points from next 2 wasn't enough. Now they face Spain first, whose coach absolutely loaths Portugal following his bad stint in Porto. Nether Iran nor Morocco are pushover teams for them just like Ghana and USA last World Cup and exactly teams that Portugal struggle against (organized defense, don't give up space, pacey when countering). Their defense is so old and slow, the team is completely reliant on Ronaldo (without him, they were tying Andorra in qualifiers).

Much depends on the first game of course. If Spain beat Portugal (let's say by 2 goals at least) then things get very interesting here. Morocco especially have been excellent in friendlies and didn't let in a single goal during qualifiers.
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran) Empty Re: World Cup (2018) - Group B (Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran)

Post by Sina Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Zero expectation for Iran ,anything would be bonus

in fact if we somehow by any chance beat Morocco or get a point from other two it would be cause of celebration for people we have only one win in world cups after all

number of players who are sure of their place in the team/squad have had poor/below par season

Group winner likely face Arg in quarters wonder if Spain would want to deliberately finish 2nd hmm

Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat May 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Sina wrote:Zero expectation for Iran ,anything would be bonus

in fact if we somehow by any chance beat Morocco or get a point from other two it would be cause of celebration for people we have only one win in world cups after all

number of players who are sure of their place in the team/squad have had poor/below par season

Group winner likely face Arg in quarters wonder if Spain would want to deliberately finish 2nd hmm

I think that should be more of a concern for Argentina Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Nope Nope if you can avoid team of Argentina's attacking talent you do
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Sat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Sina wrote:Nope Nope if you can avoid team of Argentina's attacking talent you do

Argentina's attack is very over-rated.

For all the talk about their defense being a weakness and their attack being amazing, last World Cup it was their defense that carried them to the final.

Argentina's "amazing" attack scored a grand total of THREE goals vs. Iran, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, and Germany combined.

Spain also trashed Argentina 6-1 last month. Also, there is no guarantee of Argentina finishing first in their group, it's something they can easily *bleep* it up. Group D, in a way, is the strangest group for me as not a single result between teams would surprise me either way.
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 pm

FWIW i predict Spain to reach the final but still if all big teams top their group as expected Brazil can avoid all of Spa/Ger/Arg until the final and any of those aforementioned 3 would have more difficult path
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Come on, Argentina is a long shot, depending if course on what Messi can do. As usual they have a potential strong offense, but weak otherwise, although this time portero is decent. Remember they barely qualified for this.

Iran will be fortunate to get a goal let alone a point. Portugal will battle Morocco to advance.

But thanks for trying to stir up some interest / controversy in this group.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Just looked up who Argentina has in their group. You’ve got to be kidding. They will be lucky to get out of their group let alone be first,
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 pm

futbol_bill wrote:Just looked up who Argentina has in their group. You’ve got to be kidding. They will be lucky to get out of their group let alone be first,

Why? Aside from Croatia, I don't see anyone else capable of posing a threat to them. They could finish second, but I don't see how they could fail to qualify over Nigeria and Iceland.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 pm

OK Now Argentina is actually underrated then
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat May 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Laughing Argentina's group is trash, one thing I've noticed recently is people pay way too much attention to qualification performances.

It's absolutely meaningless, may I remind you that Argentina qualified on the final day with *bleep* Maradona as manager and they still made the quarter finals.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Sat May 19, 2018 4:53 pm

I think Nigeria can beat Argentina on a good day. They are due a win against them after all those matches after all. It all depends which Argentina shows up, actually. but of course, they are favourites to finish first in their group. All Nigeria, Croatia and Iceland have their obvious weaknesses as well.

Back to group B, I recently read this statistics on the internet.

In 36 matches that Spain, Portugal, Iran, and Morocco played in qualifiers (combined), all 4 teams combined only lost once (Portugal vs. Switzerland), and in total, all four teams combined conceded a grand total of 9 goals.

Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 19, 2018 4:59 pm

DoC, both Nigeria and Croatia can finish ahead of Argentina (again on how Messi performs - he isn’t exactly known for stellar performances with Argentina). And I wouldn’t think Iceland sre any pushovers with how they did in last Euros.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Yea futbol_bill you're being overdramatic Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 19, 2018 7:48 pm

I’m Spanish, what do you expect
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat May 19, 2018 7:50 pm

futbol_bill wrote:I’m Spanish, what do you expect

Laughing He's not wrong.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 pm

If there are to be any 'upsets' i think it will be in this group IMO

And Egypt's group too i suppose but i'm not sure them qualifying would count as an upset ?
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat May 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Spain to comfortably top the group, 2nd place could be an upset but I still can't see Cristiano not securing that second spot with his heroic deeds.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 am

As a half Moroccan (yup lol) I'll obviously be rooting for morroco. I wouldn't underestimate them. Their defense is very solid, and all their players are very physical. I remember Ivory Coast basically gave up trying to attack at one point in the qualifications, they couldn't even get a shot off.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 am

I'm with @futbol_bill here, and I've said it before too.
I predict Argentina might not get out of their group.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:I'm with @futbol_bill here, and I've said it before too.
I predict Argentina might not get out of their group.
Clubber
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:47 pm

A tough group. I think Portugal is being seriously underrated by some people. We must not forget they are European champions. They have a history of being very tough to beat even when they are not at their best.

I'll say something here which may not please some. There is only one thing missing from the phenomenal career of Cristiano Ronaldo. He has never performed at a world cup. It's all the more strange because he has been doing well in every single Euro he has played in and there are no less than four of them. When I say perform I do not mean he has to win the trophy but he has to at least stand up and be counted in at least one of the matches where his team faces a genuine contender for the title.

All said and done while Morocco will make things very tough neither of the Iberian neighbors should be exiting the competition so soon.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Tomorrow should be ufff

Glad we have a big game early into the world cup
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I can't wait for GOATocco to pass the group Proud
You are still on time to  hop on my bandwagon though
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next