The Madrid One
Harmonica
Firenze
Luca
Mr Nick09
37 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it - Page 4 Empty Re: Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it

Post by Doc Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm

nasir6371 wrote:

Excellent point.

It feels like Varane hasn't improve since that Classico where he had Messi in his pocket in 2012–13(?). People were projecting him to be a WC defender with all the attributes. Should be at Virgil van Dijk level by now, but Varane is a defender unable to read the game Nor properly put a tackle in Proud he will be back in Ligue 1 once Goatmos retires.

What? Do you actually follow Varane outside of the odd CL tie? Serious question because this post tells me you don't. Varane is an elite CB, no two ways about it.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it - Page 4 Empty Re: Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it

Post by M99 Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Arquitescu wrote:Wait Mole isn't a Barça fan? scratch

He's not. But between Barça and any other team not Newcastle United, he surely prefers the former.

RealGunner wrote:Ashley Cole was a better LB than Maldini. Maldini is still a top 5 CB of all time though

Need to cool off.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Mole straight up used to support Barcelona. I didn't imagine that, I know he did, mostly due to Sir Bobby's influence. Nowadays, he probably still prefers them over other Spanish sides.

Also, someone ban RG for that statement please.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:18 pm

When the lights shined brightest and he had to show he was more than Ramos' sideman, he choked. A true shame.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 pm

That's really kneejerk. This was his worst match in a decade. True that it happened when it mattered the most, but I still regard him highly.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 pm

nasir6371 wrote:A Pace Merchant disguising as a Defender, Since day 1 never rated him.

Varane Without Goatmos in CL: Madrid 1-3 Juve; CSKA 1-0 Madrid; Madrid 1-4 Ajax

Add City 2-1 Madrid to the list. Prime Lescott would look just as good next to Ramos.
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:50 pm

danyjr wrote:That's really kneejerk. This was his worst match in a decade. True that it happened when it mattered the most, but I still regard him highly.

He looked bad multiple times without (and sometimes with) Ramos. He's good but nowhere near best CB in the world.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Yea he failed the PL test tbh

OUT

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Worst performance of his career. We might've lost the match anyway, but he certainly ruled out any chance for us to win it. That said, I agree with Dany. It's not as if he has a habit of being a liability in defense, regardless of whether or not Ramos is next to him. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if people on here had been singing his praises, had he actually played well in this single match.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by AlphaBeast Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Pique without Puyol....

Varane without Ramos....

Same Story.
AlphaBeast
AlphaBeast
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 pm

The only thing this shambolic performance proves is that Ramos is the true undisputed GOAT and all Sergio haters shall gtfo.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Chad31 Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:20 am

Casciavit wrote:When the lights shined brightest and he had to show he was more than Ramos' sideman, he choked. A true shame.

This is 100% bs, what about all the big games when ramos gets destroyed or made mistakes, not trying to defend this match just the constant over the top reactions to mistakes that happens all the time in football if your having an off night, hopefully varane bounce back big next season.

Chad31
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:40 pm

Meh, he had a bad game but Ramos has had multiple of them. Laporte has been arguably the 2nd best cb in the EPL the last 2 seasons yet last season he was the main reason that City lost the tie to spurs. Laporte's performance was arguably worse than Varane's last night. It happens.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:59 pm

jibers wrote:Meh, he had a bad game but Ramos has had multiple of them. Laporte has been arguably the 2nd best cb in the EPL the last 2 seasons yet last season he was the main reason that City lost the tie to spurs. Laporte's performance was arguably worse than Varane's last night. It happens.
That's cause Varane is twice the player Laporte is.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:04 am

Puzzles me still how a defense consisting of Lloris, Varane and Umtiti did so well to win the WC? I guess Hernandez and Kante and Pogba did the work and hid these guys weaknesses Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:56 am

tbh bumped this thread more for the bait than anything else :coffee:

I rate Varane and still do, but it does need to be said he hasn't covered himself in glory when Ramos isn't around him in the CL.

Madrid lost 3-1 against Juve when he was tasked with leading the line.

They lost 4-1 against Ajax when he was tasked with leading the line.

They lost 2-1 against City with both individual errors coming from him when he was tasked with leading the line.

I'm not surprised that those losses all came from games Ramos was absent in. He really is the difference-maker for Madrid's backline. No doubt about it.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:59 am

BarcaLearning wrote:Puzzles me still how a defense consisting of Lloris, Varane and Umtiti did so well to win the WC? I guess Hernandez and Kante and Pogba did the work and hid these guys weaknesses Razz

It's because they parked the bus every game. Put 6'6 Firenze at CB alongside pre-injury Umtiti, where he's flanked by two CB's playing FB in Pavard and Hernandez, and is shielded by Matuidi, Kante, and Pogba centrally, and France probably still wins the WC. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Always been overhyped garbage just because he outrun Messi one time.

I will die on this hill.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:59 pm

I think it's a fair argument that Varane may be overrated, but this match wasn't a good indication of his quality, and the argument that Ramos is some kind of glorious white knight that Varane relies on to cover up his shortcomings, is simply a joke.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Varane is not overrated. Maybe by Real fans.
By everyone else he's rated just correctly - as a top CB, consistently among the very best in the world, yet not a generational figure like Baresi, Kohler, Puyol, Boateng
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Whether or not he's overrated, is relevant to the majority who rate him. Personally, I think some corners of the internet hyped him up to unreasonable heights after the last World Cup. I'm pretty sure some people on here jumped on that hype wagon, as well. I'm happy that we have him, but he has his strengths and weaknesses, and he does occasionally make mistakes, just like everyone else.

Needless to say, he was largely at fault for our loss to City, but as long as he doesn't make a habit of such mistakes, I don't think that performance means much in terms of gauging his quality. I certainly think he's been more defensively reliable for us than Ramos has, during the time they've played together for us. He doesn't stand out, like Ramos does with his offensive contributions, or Pepe did with his aggressive approach to defending. What he brings at his best is composure and a no nonsense wall in our backline. When he doesn't, like in the extreme example of this match, he stands out like a sore thumb.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Casciavit wrote:When the lights shined brightest and he had to show he was more than Ramos' sideman, he choked. A true shame.
best bump in months Molenation
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4