Bellabong
Harmonica
25 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 14 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Super Mario Odyssey.

Really impressed with the creativity of this, so much great level design either using the new mechanics and just in general hidden levels. It's giving me serious Banjo Kazooie vibes with better quality control and in general Mario stuff which is unique to it like the 2D in hidden walls designs.

I should be clear i have only played a handful of actual worlds so far so maybe i'm getting excited too early. But so far i'm really impressed with the general creativity and new things to freshen up the formula without taking away from the soul of the game like a certain Zelda game did.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:general creativity and new things to freshen up the formula without taking away from the soul of the game like a certain Zelda game did.

By all means if you're happy to be stuck in the 80s three decades on. Perhaps nostalgia?
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am

There wasn't even 3d platformers existing in the 80s so swing and a miss lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 am

My bad I thought you were talking about the Super Mario Bros U which was just released for Switch Laughing
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Lol i'd never be impressed with Mario 2d platformers and creativity in 2019.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm about to finish Dragon Quest: Echoes of an Elusive age. It's a good game. It has certain similarities to Ni No Kuni, especially in it's art style. It's well polished and a pretty solid RPG game that doesn't try to reinvent itself, or be something it's not. I had a decently good time playing through it. I don't really get the high ratings it's been getting, though. I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. My impression is that it's an above average, RPG game, but not a fantastic one. Yet, it's one of the top rated games on Metacritic of last year hmm I actually enjoyed Tales of Berseria more, and it has a much lower, overall rating. Despite inferior graphics, that game simply has more fun and engaging battle mechanics, and didn't feel repetitive as fast. Something tells me Dragon Quest has a substantial, hardcore fan following.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm about to try it today, looks like something I'd enjoy a lot from the reviews i watched.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 pm

DQXI is good. Solid RPG that gets all the basics right and is just straight up beautiful. One of the best looking games around. It's not ground breaking or overly inventive but it just gets everything right.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm about to try it today, looks like something I'd enjoy a lot from the reviews i watched.

It's a very barebones, turn-based game. It does have a few interesting features, like the weapons, armor and equipment crafting system (which I read has been present in the series for a long time). Objectively speaking, it's a very polished game, and so I find it hard to criticize it. It does get repetitive after a while, though. The story didn't really engage me much, with the exception of a few key points in the game that I feel could've introduced more original twists to the good vs evil formula. The game seems to appeal to people who grew up with turn-based, RPG games. Even the loading screen transitions have this really retro, 80s-90s dungeon crawler sound effect. I don't think I would recommend the game to someone who's not into retro RPG games. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of those, outside of the Final Fantasy series, and I thought the game was pretty good. The combat does get repetitive, so if you don't like the characters, the story and the environments, you're going to be left with very little enjoyment. Dragon Quest feels like a more classic, turn-based RPG game in a modern wrapping.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm

rincon wrote:DQXI is good. Solid RPG that gets all the basics right and is just straight up beautiful. One of the best looking games around. It's not ground breaking or overly inventive but it just gets everything right.

I think you'd like it, but I don't think it would appeal to someone like Mole, who, from what I recall, isn't a big fan of turn-based games. Persona 5 spruced things up a bit, and it had a lot going for it outside of combat. The same can't be said about Dragon Quest XI. You either like that type of game, or you don't.

edit: Nevermind. I haven't slept much lately. I read that as "DQXI looks good". I assume you've already played it?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Thimmy wrote:I'm about to finish Dragon Quest: Echoes of an Elusive age. It's a good game. It has certain similarities to Ni No Kuni, especially in it's art style. It's well polished and a pretty solid RPG game that doesn't try to reinvent itself, or be something it's not. I had a decently good time playing through it. I don't really get the high ratings it's been getting, though. I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. My impression is that it's an above average, RPG game, but not a fantastic one. Yet, it's one of the top rated games on Metacritic of last year hmm I actually enjoyed Tales of Berseria more, and it has a much lower, overall rating. Despite inferior graphics, that game simply has more fun and engaging battle mechanics, and didn't feel repetitive as fast. Something tells me Dragon Quest has a substantial, hardcore fan following.

Dragon Quest always sticks very closely to the old school RPG formula that the series itself helped establish way back in the day. I've always found it a "take it or leave it" kind of series, since I'm not really a fan of that style of RPG anymore, but I know a lot of people who grew up with the series and find it comforting to play precisely because it doesn't change much game to game. It stands out as a sort of homage to how these games used to be, and as the success of Octopath Traveller on the Switch suggests, there's a decently sized market for it.

Tales of Berseria is a great game itself (the best Tales of game in about a decade, imo), but is one I hesitate to recommend because it's aesthetic and story is so anime inspired, and that alone is something of a stigma. Dragon Quest's look carries a broader appeal.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm

I didn't give them a chance truthfully lol, from the reviews i watched it just looks a very joyful adventure in the way the old Zelda's were but with slightly better turn based mechanics than Pokemon.

Don't see why i wouldn't like it tbh, reality is the only two turn based games I've actually gave a chance to is Persona and Pokemon and i liked both so maybe i actually do like them i was just too immature to give them a chance.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Jay29 wrote:

Tales of Berseria is a great game itself (the best Tales of game in about a decade, imo), but is one I hesitate to recommend because it's aesthetic and story is so anime inspired, and that alone is something of a stigma. Dragon Quest's look carries a broader appeal.

Yeah, the anime aesthetic and all of the anime skits did not particularly appeal to me, but I liked the story, and playing around with different characters and abilities was a lot of fun. I wish there was a game out there that had a more mature character design and art style, and with the dynamic, customizable combat of Berseria. That sounds a bit like Devil May Cry Laughing

Mole: I don't know whether or not you'll like Dragon Quest XI, but both Pokemon and Persona offer a much wider range of characters and abilties to prevent the turn-based mechanic from feeling stale or repetitive. Dragon Quest doesn't. You have a handful of characters. You'll probably only focus on using four of them, and you'll likely only use a fraction of the abilities available to them. It gets stale much faster than the other two games. Dragon Quest XI is a solid game, but I get the impression that, without the nostalgia factor for these types of games, you're going to grow bored of it much faster. Just a heads up. So, keep your expectations tempered Smile
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Thimmy wrote:
rincon wrote:DQXI is good. Solid RPG that gets all the basics right and is just straight up beautiful. One of the best looking games around. It's not ground breaking or overly inventive but it just gets everything right.

I think you'd like it, but I don't think it would appeal to someone like Mole, who, from what I recall, isn't a big fan of turn-based games. Persona 5 spruced things up a bit, and it had a lot going for it outside of combat. The same can't be said about Dragon Quest XI. You either like that type of game, or you don't.

edit: Nevermind. I haven't slept much lately. I read that as "DQXI looks good". I assume you've already played it?

Yeah, im about halfway through it.

@mole if you play it; turn on some draconian quest options at the beginning (options to make the game more challenging). Makes it much more rewarding, otherwise it's too easy
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Cool, difficulty doesn't bother me that much as long as i feel like the game is giving some sort of resistance.

At least on first play through anyway, but I'll keep that in mind regardless if i feel it's too easy that's something good to know.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:20 pm

You can only turn them on at the start.

They are 6 options which make different aspects harder. I 100% recommend turning on the option which prevents you from getting experienced from enemies that are too weak, so you cant be over leveled. The other good one is the one to make enemies stronger, makes the game go from a breeze to a rewarding fight. Bosses will be hard and require more than just 'attack' and regular fights cant be underestimated.

I made the mistake of not turning on that second one and it made it get boring eventually. Worth it to start over and do it right
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 am

General Games Discussion - Page 14 DxNKW39WwAEvZz2

Jesus Christ, Disney should back the fk off and give the license to literally anyone else after the deal expires.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 pm

These Bristol accents Laughing Need away from them ASAP.

that aside I'm very much enjoying Dragon Quest atm.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:39 pm

General Games Discussion - Page 14 4rAw3i8
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:23 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:These Bristol accents Laughing Need away from them ASAP.

that aside I'm very much enjoying Dragon Quest atm.

There are a lot of different accents in the game, even Swedish Laughing

I've only done a fraction of the optional quests, and I thought I'd be done with the game at least 10 hours ago. I've reached the final boss now, with a total play time of 92 hours! Apparently, there's a lot of post-game content as well. I'm honestly tempted to just skip all of the post game stuff and move on to something else. It's not that there's anything wrong with the game, but I've really been eager to finish it for a while now. The last few hours have really dragged on, and it's mildly frustrating that you can't obtain the best equipment, or even unlock certain character's complete skill trees, until after you've completed the game hmm
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am

No development on parallel programming in the next 5 years either? Thanks console peasants. Mad
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 pm

How are you liking Dragon Quest so far, Mole? And how far have you gotten?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Thimmy wrote:How are you liking Dragon Quest so far, Mole? And how far have you gotten?

A lot, i've only played about a Dozen hours so far but it's really good IMO.

I would have played more but i'm trying to juggle finishing off the Valkyries in GoW for my 2nd playthrough, getting back into Gwent,  Super Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros and Dragon Quest all at once Laughing So some days one of those games( sometimes more) i simply don't play.

But i've probably played two seperate 6 hour sittings with the game atm, i find it really addicting. Has that feeling of when i get to next save point i'll stop and then i continue for at least two more hours Laughing

Sure the tropes the game has from mechanics and the story are very well trodden but it's so well made that i don't really care. Best thing i can say about is it genuinely feel like i'm on an adventure.

I think i needed this after my disappointment with the recent Zelda as growing up that game always provided me with similar feelings that Dragon Quest currently is. ( except for obvious one is turn based and the other isn't)

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Well, that’s good. If you like Dragon Quest, I bet you’ll like Ni No Kuni, as well (the second one, first one is super childish imo). But I suppose Metro is right around the corner now. You said you’re playing Dragon Age... Inquisition?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 pm

I edited that Razz

I got confused for some reason lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Game: Herc's Adventure.
Year: 1997.
Genre: Action Adventure.
Publisher: LucasArts.
Developer: Big Ape Productions, LucasArts.

General Games Discussion - Page 14 51E8e1ZNXmL._AC_SX215_

First things first, I am changing my rating system to a simpler 10 point system. Games that get above a 7 I fully recommend, and those that get below that are mostly a waste of time. That leaves the score of 7 to depend on your taste

In the 16bit era, LucasArts studios were known for their colorful and cartoonish graphics. Their games often looked to imitate the sort of cartoons you could find on Cartoon Network or other such channels.

With the increased capability of the Saturn, you can see why games like Herc's Adventure were made by the same studio. Expertly animated and drawn with the same style, the game was also more ambitious in its delivery compared to earlier LucasArt games, like the cult-classic" Zombies Ate my Neighbours.

While the game is not without its shortcomings, the effort mostly works.

"Seek out the help of my fellow Gods, and good luck, erm, I mean GOOD luck"

From the game's title, you could guess that it is featured in mythical Greece, with Hercules and some other companions fighting against Hades's evil plots. There is little difference in this retelling other than the Saturday-Night-Cartoon look and the fact that you can choose to play as one of two other characters: Atalanta and Jason.

With the style LucasArts is going for, the game aims to be mostly comical. From the design of Zeus, Hades, and the other gods, to the design of all other enemies and characters. Regularly, you see little funny details in the environment, like a sunbathing beach, or the anti-man city of the Amazons.

These little details work to give a more visual narrative to the story other than the occasional exposition by Zeus or Hades, and it mostly works.

"I'm sure Hera will give you some heroic tasks to prove your worth"

The story is mostly a framework to explore the world of the game, as you go from place to place to gain the favors of other Gods. It basically boils down to fetching things back, gaining some useful items, and defeating bosses.

Unique for the time, the overhead world is almost all open, with no loading screens at all. This entire map is open in theory, but you will need to get some abilities and items to go past certain areas or defeat certain bosses.

For instance, one dragon boss can be stumbled upon quite early. However, without an item that can help you withstand its fire, the fight is impossible to win.

Similar roadblocks are peppered over to gently guide you through the way, although the game never explicitly shows you the rails.

One thing that may both unique and distressing is the death mechanic. Instead of simply losing progress, you are transported to the underworld, where you get the chance to escape. This can happen for five times, with each being harder than the last, after which it is game over for good.

"So, you are the pathetic mortal who Zeus sent to defeat me. You have no chance against me. I am Hades, lord of the underworld"

As an action adventure game, the combat is an integral part of the experience and maybe its weakest point. Simply, it is more annoying than challenging and time-consuming than exciting.

You primarily attack with a melee strike (for Hercules), but this attack is of such short range that you almost always get hit by an enemy attack or two. Another option is to charge your attack to throw the club like a boomerang, but that leaves you open for other attacks.

The safer option is to use one of the game's many consumable projectile items, which are liberally handed to the player. Throwing spear, trident, laser guns, and other such things is more reliable against bosses and groups of enemies.

Regardless, the combat is mostly repetitive and dull, especially since every little enemy is a damage sponge, simply prolonging this battle of attrition.

"Bet you work for that no-good husband of mine. You will have to do some work to get it. No slacking off like that Zeus"

One of the most striking things about Herc's Adventure is its cartoony graphics and visual style. That is carried by some excellent 2D graphics and animation. Generally, the design of all characters and creatures is distinctive and fittings.

It establishes a consistent art style that tells its own story, and you can see that with the booming voice of Zeus and the nasal voice acting of Hades, which fits their graphical desing like a glove.

As for the sound design, it is mostly fine, but the soundtrack is not very memorable. It has some nice tracks, but nothing truely stand out.

In Conclusion:

Herc's Adventure is just one of those games that are not exactly great at the time, and are not at all memorable today. Apart from its lovely graphics, there is little else to attract the busy gamer.

Not exactly a Greece epic.

Final: 6/10

Pros:

• Great and unique graphics.
  • One continious overworld.

Cons:

• Repetitive and boring combat.
  • A lot of backtracking.

"Tips"
1-Revisit areas to stock-up on useful items.
2-Pick Atalanta as your character, her neutral attacks are the best.
3-Also, as Atalanta, you can get some bonus items.

"Next Game"

Initially, I thought I would like Herc's Adventure more than I ended up doing. At some point, the game just became a slog to play.

Next game in the list, at #62, iis a grid-based strategy game, Iron Storm. Which I am approaching with some caution. Usually, these types of games can be very complex, and at that time, it was often difficult to decipher the controls.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next