El Gunner
urbaNRoots
Sina
8 posters

Go down

Official:Willian Joins Arsenal Empty Official:Willian Joins Arsenal

Post by Sina Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:33 am

Official:Willian Joins Arsenal Willian_1600x900_announcement

Brazil international Willian has signed a three-year deal to join us ahead of the 2020/21 season.

The 32-year-old forward has a wealth of experience and has made more than 600 club appearances in a career spanning 13 seasons.

Willian started at Brazilian side Corinthians, before joining Shakhtar Donetsk in August 2007. In his six years there, he won four Ukrainian Premier League titles and the Uefa Cup in 2009. Four years later, he briefly signed for Anzhi Makhachkala before joining Chelsea, winning the Premier League and League Cup in his second season in England.

Throughout his seven years at Chelsea, he won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and the Europa League. He made 339 appearances, with 63 goals and 56 assists in that time.

“I believe he’s a player that can really make a difference for us," Mikel Arteta said. "We have been monitoring him for the past few months, we had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and the winger positions [and] he is a player that gives us a lot of versatility, he can play in three or four different positions. He has the experience of everything in the football world but to still have the ambition to come here and contribute to bring the club where it belongs. I have been really impressed with all the talks I have had with him and how much he wanted to come.”

Willian has made 70 appearances and has scored nine goals for Brazil, making his international debut in 2011. He has since represented his country at the 2014 and 2018 World Cups, the 2015 Copa America, the Copa America Centenario, and the 2019 Copa America where he was a key member of the squad that lifted the trophy on home soil.

Technical director Edu said: “I know him very well, since a long time ago because we've been working together for the Brazilian national team and of course I was following him because he played for another club. He has a lot of fantastic attributes as a person, as a football player of course, his character. I'm 100 per cent sure that everybody in the dressing room, the fans, myself and Mikel will enjoy having Willian in our side.“

Willian will wear the number 12 shirt.

The deal is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Official:Willian Joins Arsenal Willian%2014

Official:Willian Joins Arsenal Willian%2015
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Official:Willian Joins Arsenal Empty Re: Official:Willian Joins Arsenal

Post by Sina Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am

Thought it deserves its own thread  Wink
Welcome to Arsenal  Cool

Looking forward to see how he will be used,im sure he will make good enough contribution
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 am

No
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 am

Welcome Willian!
Still very industrious and willing, as endurance and little bit of Brazilian flair.
I won't complain like some of our fans, and will fully support him unless he doesn't put in the effort and performances anymore.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm glad we dodged this bullet at least, was heavily linked with Barca at one point and we sure as hell don't need another 30+ year old.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm

WILLIANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Myesyats wrote:I'm glad we dodged this bullet at least, was heavily linked with Barca at one point and we sure as hell don't need another 30+ year old.

Different club, different priority. Your club is aging and Arsenal is full of youngsters that need some back up/ guidance from experienced players.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Twoism wrote:
Myesyats wrote:I'm glad we dodged this bullet at least, was heavily linked with Barca at one point and we sure as hell don't need another 30+ year old.

Different club, different priority. Your club is aging and Arsenal is full of youngsters that need some back up/ guidance from experienced players.

True.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:51 pm

I can taste the ambition in the air.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 am

Good piece by Tim Stillman.

Willian represents experience and depth we don't have up front and he brings immediate, proven ability. More likely than not, he'll improve us in the short-term.

It's a worrying gamble considering what this deal could look like in 2022 + we're literally still paying the price for this kind of recruitment strategy but it's far less than was spent on Ozil or Mkhi and given the state of the club's finances, it could be worthwhile if it allows us to spend elsewhere and push for top 4.

https://arseblog.com/2020/08/whee-theres-a-willian-theres-a-way/
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down