RealGunner
M99
Firenze
9 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Manga and Anime  - Page 2 Empty Re: Manga and Anime

Post by Thimmy Wed May 06, 2020 6:22 am

Jonathan the GOAT still uses Hamon, I believe hmm In addition to his stand. And yes, I watched the entire show a while ago. I’ll be your roundabout!

Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 2:45 am

Struggling a bit to get into stardust crusaders. I mean it's not bad but it's not binge worthy. Jotaro is nowhere near as good as Joseph atm either. Part 2 had amazing characters.

Might give it a break and restart later.

Downloading Yu Yu Hakusho as we speak :coffee:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 am

Erased manga is decent. Art was a bit off putting at first. Has the rare distinction of having both good anime and live action adaptations.

Too happy ending though imo
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 24, 2020 2:16 am

Since we're doing it elsewhere, top 5 manga and anime?

Manga
Solanin
Fullmetal Alchemist
Crows
Onani Master Kurosawa
Oyasumi Punpun

Hon Mentions: Death Note, Mushishi, Sunny, Ping Pong, Koe No Katachi

Anime
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann
FMA Brotherhood
Clannad

Hon Mentions: Death Note, Mushishi, Paranoia Agent, Steins;Gate, Ping Pong
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun May 24, 2020 2:25 am

Manga and Anime  - Page 2 Ae0abb563875aa5d7af79794ffd51d5e
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 am

Have films seperate to series.

Princess Mononoke
Your Name
Perfect Blue
Grave Of The Fireflies
Wolf Children

Hon Mentions: Spirited Away, Nausicaa, 5cm/second, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Akira, Arietty
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun May 24, 2020 5:02 pm

RealGunner wrote:Struggling a bit to get into stardust crusaders. I mean it's not bad but it's not binge worthy. Jotaro is nowhere near as good as Joseph atm either. Part 2 had amazing characters.

Might give it a break and restart later.

Downloading Yu Yu Hakusho as we speak :coffee:

It is binge worthy. Don’t give up on it. Stardust Crusaders may not be as good as the first two seasons, but it is pretty good. It starts a bit slow, and I also found myself thinking, this doesn’t seem to be all that great, but I like the part where they travel around. It’s the Diamond something season that’s not as good as the others, in my opinion.

I can’t pick a top 5 anything in this genre, because I’ve only watched a handful of anime.  Hunter x Hunter takes the top spot for me. Other than that, I’ve watched Death Note, Jojo’s and One Punch Man. I also love Ghibli, but I don’t remember which is which in terms of movie corresponding to title. Mononoke is fantastic. Grave of the fireflies almost made me cry, and I never do.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Yea i haven't given up but just a break.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Firenze wrote:Manga and Anime  - Page 2 Ae0abb563875aa5d7af79794ffd51d5e

Your top 5 has really changed since i last saw.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 am

only new addition since 2015 in my manga is OUT, Top 5 anime has been the same except Natsume since 2017 too hmm

I don't read/watch much nowadays beyond manga I've been reading for a while (which is like 15+ atm)

I only really get around to reading 1 new manga a year now, same with anime, but I've never been much of an anime person
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon May 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Since you all seem to rate it highly, I subscribed to Amazon Prime just to watch Vinland Saga.

I’m only two episodes in. «Askeladd» sounds absolutely hilarious to me. Something must’ve been lost in translation there. Espen Askeladd is a somewhat awkward fictional character and hero from Norwegian folk tales that are typically told to young children here. There are movies and even stop-motion productions about the adventures of Askeladd, who always comes out on top through sheer luck or coincidence, despite being considered an annoyance by the people around him.

He’s usually portrayed as an always positive, but small, weak and incredibly dense little brother who always ends up the hero, despite his older brothers being both stronger, smarter and more ambitious than him. Vinland’s Askeladd seems nothing like that. I mean, the name translates to something like, «ashen lad», yet the guy in the show is an older guy Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm

Firenze wrote:only new addition since 2015 in my manga is OUT, Top 5 anime has been the same except Natsume since 2017 too hmm

I don't read/watch much nowadays beyond manga I've been reading for a while (which is like 15+ atm)

I only really get around to reading 1 new manga a year now, same with anime, but I've never been much of an anime person

I have around 50+ on currently reading but not actually read any in a year. They have shut down mangarock now because the owners wanted to go legal route or some shit. Now there is no decent app on apple store for manga.

Thimmy wrote:Since you all seem to rate it highly, I subscribed to Amazon Prime just to watch Vinland Saga.

I’m only two episodes in. «Askeladd» sounds absolutely hilarious to me. Something must’ve been lost in translation there. Espen Askeladd is a somewhat awkward fictional character and hero from Norwegian folk tales that are typically told to young children here. There are movies and even stop-motion productions about the adventures of Askeladd, who always comes out on top through sheer luck or coincidence, despite being considered an annoyance by the people around him.

He’s usually portrayed as an always positive, but small, weak and incredibly dense little brother who always ends up the hero, despite his older brothers being both stronger, smarter and more ambitious than him. Vinland’s Askeladd seems nothing like that. I mean, the name translates to something like, «ashen lad», yet the guy in the show is an older guy Razz

lol i think they just borrowed the name. Although i am sure they explain the origin of the name at some point in the show.

All the character names must be familiar to you i am guessing?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm

RealGunner wrote:

All the character names must be familiar to you i am guessing?

Somewhat. Most of the names used in the show are very rare these days, with the exception of Thors, which would be «Tor» in Norwegian, Thor in English. They’ve definitely taken a few creative liberties with the names - likely to make them easier to pronounce, or more fancy sounding.

My two year old half brother’s name is Tor. Most of the names in the show were far more common with my grandparents, or great grandparents’ generation. My grandfather’s name was Arnulf, and I’ve never heard of anyone else with a name like that. Modern, Norwegian names either sound really generic or pretentious.

There was a list of the most common names among newborn babies here recently, and names like, Sara and Adele were in the top 3. Adele ffs. And yes, that’s a reference or homage to the English artist, Adele, from what I can tell. People are stupid.

I would imagine these names sound more familiar to someone from Iceland, since Iceland is the only remaining country whose language resembles that of the vikings. Then again, the more names I see in this show, the more I’m convinced that they’ve taken a lot of creative liberties with them. Håkon has been translated to Hakon etc. Shame we don’t have any icelanders on here.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm

yeah, Askeladd (one of the all time greatest characters in manga/anime) just borrows the name of the Norwegian folklore figure or whatever. Not actually supposed to be him.

It borrows a lot of figures very loosely and just does its own thing with them. Which I like. Lot of the characters are completely original.

Anyway, Vinland has a lull early on, it's still good but it doesn't becoming fantastic until maybe like episode 14 onwards
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Are you still following the manga? is it on hiatus or still running?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon May 25, 2020 5:07 pm

I think Ylva is a pretty cool name. It’s distinctively Scandinavian, and it’s a reference to wolves. Names like those will probably become extinct in the not so distant future, and a typical Norwegian name will become something like, «Daenarys» or fucking «Instagram» rofl
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 25, 2020 6:03 pm

RealGunner wrote:
Firenze wrote:only new addition since 2015 in my manga is OUT, Top 5 anime has been the same except Natsume since 2017 too hmm

I have around 50+ on currently reading but not actually read any in a year. They have shut down mangarock now because the owners wanted to go legal route or some shit. Now there is no decent app on apple store for manga.

I've been using Mangastorm years now. Pretty good app and perfect for tablets.

But I prefer mangaseeonline which Mangastorm does not support. They prioritize having official translations available.

Can't find official translation of GTO: The Early Years anywhere though despite being translated and licensed in North America years ago.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Does Mangastorm have a big library? I'll try that.

tbh fan translations are better than official ones so you might just read that. If i find it i will let you know.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm

M99 wrote:

Can't find official translation of GTO: The Early Years anywhere though despite being translated and licensed in North America years ago.

a lot of licensed manga can be hard to find, most manga hosting sites don't host 'em

I just checked madokami though (a private tracker site) and they're all available on there
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon May 25, 2020 7:52 pm

RealGunner wrote:Does Mangastorm have a big library? I'll try that.

tbh fan translations are better than official ones so you might just read that. If i find it i will let you know.

It is an app which uses manga sites and has an interface very easy to use. Supported websites include mangareader.net and kissmanga which have pretty big libraries.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri May 29, 2020 4:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNpRThS9t8&feature=emb_title

New studio and director, but they are both great apparently.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Surprised WIT aren't doing it considering last 2 seasons.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Finished reading Dorohedoro and its bathsit. What a wild ride. It drags on toward the end but its worth it. Anime recently aired on Netflix, manga has enough material for three to four seasons. Fully translated by Viz too.

The character design of Shin has got to be one my favorites.

Manga and Anime  - Page 2 5f594a5a943a8e9f71fff273f816d17f
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 am

A lot of popular manga ending in a span of a few months. Promised Neverland, Dr Stone and Demon Slayer have ended. Attack On Titan most likely ending this fall, Haikyuu in its last arc...

Meanwhile Hunter x Hunter on hiatus (:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:40 pm

M99 wrote:Finished reading Dorohedoro and its bathsit. What a wild ride. It drags on toward the end but its worth it. Anime recently aired on Netflix, manga has enough material for three to four seasons. Fully translated by Viz too.

The character design of Shin has got to be one my favorites.

Manga and Anime  - Page 2 5f594a5a943a8e9f71fff273f816d17f

it's one of the most unique manga I ever read, hard to compare it to anything else out there, almost Tim Burton esque

that said, I soured on the last arc, especially read it month to month

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Yea it's definitely one of the weirdest thing i've ever read. Surprised they made an anime.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next