VivaStPauli
Lucifer
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Hapless_Hans
Firenze
28 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany - Page 5 Empty Re: EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany

Post by Jay29 Tue 29 Jun - 20:26:55

CBarca wrote:
Jay29 wrote:This was only the last 16. The party in the ground is like we've made the final. Laughing

Couldn't believe my eyes when Muller missed that chance. It would have been so England to concede right after scoring. To actually go on to score a second goal? Fantasy stuff.

We won a penalty shootout at a World Cup for the first time in 2018. Now we've knocked Germany out of a tournament. wtf is happening.

This is the first time England has won a knockout tie in the Euros in 90 minutes. Ever.

Ian Darke commentating, saying that a win would kick off a night of celebrations across the nation. I thought he was joking, it's winning a RO16 game.

I'm hyped and England fans should be, but I wasn't expecting what I saw. People really will be partying tonight. You would think they should go through next round and so that's exciting but England need to do it first.

Anyway, fuck it. It's coming home let's fuckin goooo

FOOTBALLS COMING HOME

It would be very England to go out to Ukraine or Sweden in the quarter-finals.

England has so much baggage when it comes to Germany. They've been our dream killers so often. Just nothing but disappointment for so long.

The amount of fans in the ground with their hands on their heads, just staring in disbelief sums it up.

My hope now is they haven't already played their "final" and have enough focus left for the quarter-finals. Especially now as the expectation will be higher than it's ever been.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany - Page 5 Empty Re: EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany

Post by Arquitecto Tue 29 Jun - 20:28:31

To be honest for the crop of players they had and a deserved World Cup aside you would have thought the Germans would be even more dominant but one must admit they failed to use this generation. Not as bad as England's of last decade but still.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Tue 29 Jun - 20:33:35

Arquitecto wrote:To be honest for the crop of players they had and a deserved World Cup aside you would have thought the Germans would be even more dominant but one must admit they failed to use this generation. Not as bad as England's of last decade but still.

But how? They're competing with Spain's best generation ever. They won it when Spain decline. And then France's time (well, before yesterday) came. They should've won 2016? But they just lost Lahm and Klose who were influential and haven't been replaced properly then (Klose until now). Though, the decline after 2018 has been massive yeah. It's another transitional time for them now.

Last edited by Superstone Mariomintsch on Tue 29 Jun - 20:46:23; edited 1 time in total
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue 29 Jun - 20:43:25

Has Klose been replaced? Werner is a good player overall but a finisher he is not. Germany should have been ahead and Werner...pulled a Werner
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue 29 Jun - 20:53:45

As for the game itself:

England were as good as Germany were poor. Very little about England's performance was convincing. On the ball it continues to look stodgy and disconnected, and without the ball it's not as compact as I'd like it to be. Rice and Phillips were both carded today as a consequence of having to cover a lot of ground.

The good thing you can say about England is that their defending on the edge of the box and within it has been solid, especially now that Maguire has returned. Stones is replicating his City form in an England shirt and Pickford, who I don't really rate super highly, is having a good tournament. As long as they restrict the opposition chances, they've enough creative players to choose from to make at least one good chance in a game. That might be just enough to progress through the rounds.

I still think a highly technical team who uses the ball well will give this team a very hard time.

Germany were let down by their wing-backs imo. You didn't really see Goosens or Kimmich get opportunities to run onto passes and whip crosses in, so their main route to goal had to be through Havertz playing passes through to Werner or Mueller. Their third centre back ended up being redundant since neither Ginter or Rudiger broke into England's half all that often to become an extra option. Maybe they could have taken one off and put on the extra attacker at some point to stretch England.

Their squad is between generations which is always a rough time for any nation to go through. Kimmich could go into midfield to replace Kroos and Gundogan so that's something. Werner I still rate, he's just not a killer in the final third yet. Gnabry, Sane and Havertz is a good attacking midfield trio that Flick should be able to get a lot out of. I guess their main problems are at the back? Not sure who they have coming up at centre back.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue 29 Jun - 21:01:46

A very underwhelming K.O. game, there were chances on both sides. England took theirs while we missed ours. Good game and good luck!
The win was absolutely deserved. I am happy the era Löw is finally over.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue 29 Jun - 22:46:06

@hans

whats up dear neighbor

EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany - Page 5 208956337_1892565067592283_999769911222231137_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=GtMOgbvyAm8AX-NNzgV&_nc_ht=scontent.fpoz2-1
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue 29 Jun - 22:51:32

RealGunner wrote:
RealGunner wrote:We are far superior to Germany. Nearly in every position.

Comfortable 0-0 and then going out on pens

This bit was the truth.

Myesyats wrote:
Jesp wrote:

England is amongst a team rich in talents ... so much so that even bench players are crazy good ... lol if they dont take advantage now as u said it would be one of those times

England rich in talent blah blah blah but we all know which league is superior and obviously the bundesliga warriors will walk over premfrauds.

out

Babun wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
England rich in talent blah blah blah but we all know which league is superior and obviously the bundesliga warriors will walk over premfrauds.

Most goals in the tournament were scored by Serie A (25) and Bundesliga (21) players :coffee:
 EURO 2020 - R16 : England vs Germany - Page 5 5ehdui

out

I havent seen the game tbh so cant comment but i heard the game was poor and given that Germany is thoroughly uninspiring i'm not impressed hmm
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue 29 Jun - 22:54:57

England the new Portugal except more likeable supporters

I like it for the GL posters, frauding their way to the title, why not. But i'll side with the calcio bros in case of a final Italy-England, of course.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue 29 Jun - 23:41:02

So we're not gonna talk about how Phillips should have gotten sent off for his challenge on Kroos?

The power of British commentators/media. They have pin drop silence about it so no one else is talking about it.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue 29 Jun - 23:43:39

Jay29 wrote:As for the game itself:

England were as good as Germany were poor. Very little about England's performance was convincing. On the ball it continues to look stodgy and disconnected, and without the ball it's not as compact as I'd like it to be. Rice and Phillips were both carded today as a consequence of having to cover a lot of ground.

The good thing you can say about England is that their defending on the edge of the box and within it has been solid, especially now that Maguire has returned. Stones is replicating his City form in an England shirt and Pickford, who I don't really rate super highly, is having a good tournament. As long as they restrict the opposition chances, they've enough creative players to choose from to make at least one good chance in a game. That might be just enough to progress through the rounds.

I still think a highly technical team who uses the ball well will give this team a very hard time.

Germany were let down by their wing-backs imo. You didn't really see Goosens or Kimmich get opportunities to run onto passes and whip crosses in, so their main route to goal had to be through Havertz playing passes through to Werner or Mueller. Their third centre back ended up being redundant since neither Ginter or Rudiger broke into England's half all that often to become an extra option. Maybe they could have taken one off and put on the extra attacker at some point to stretch England.

Their squad is between generations which is always a rough time for any nation to go through. Kimmich could go into midfield to replace Kroos and Gundogan so that's something. Werner I still rate, he's just not a killer in the final third yet. Gnabry, Sane and Havertz is a good attacking midfield trio that Flick should be able to get a lot out of. I guess their main problems are at the back? Not sure who they have coming up at centre back.

England were unconvincing because they played 5 defenders and two holding midfielders ffs

But they keep getting results so I can't see why Southgate would change. He has to be forced to start Grealish now though, right? He's been England's best player.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue 29 Jun - 23:50:53

Imagine not starting Gnabry away in London

Joachim Löw, ladies and gentlemen
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed 30 Jun - 0:33:45

Germany just never found the right mix, they've been inefficient for a long time now. That Portugal game was more of their coach being amateur level to allow the 5v4 for so much of the game it was easy for Germany. Germany arent that bad, but just not as good as they can be I think. Lows gone and they have so many better coaches, and historic they are always strong so Im sure they will bonuce back. They have too many good players not to.

What do ppl think of Goretzka instead of Gundogun? also Werner instead of Gnabry? It seems Germany was too open towards the end when England scored the goals. When I saw the line up cant help but feel it was unbalanced as in too attacking. Kroos and Goretzka with the back 3 werent gonna be strong defensively. Gnabry have been off but Werner just cant score we all know by now Razz

Glad Sterling showing hes truly WC, he misses chances, but he creates so many in the first place and has scored all of Englands goals before Kane one Very Happy Kane needs to step up now since hes another thats underperformed.

Greahlish again was key. I guess he doesnt start cos Southgate goes for balance first? I mean if Grealish starts the formation would have to change? But he seems too effective not to be included.

Also whats the deal with Sancho? Same thing? I havent watched him for NT, but how can u leave out such a player. I imagine England would be so much more entertaining with Sancho right, Sterling left, Kane center Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed 30 Jun - 0:42:37

Btw, anyone followed Grealish's career? Just read on wiki, he was assaulted on the pitch a few years ago by a fan, what for? And then goes on to score Razz Relatively late bloomer it seems since his career was nothing impressive up until last 2-3 years?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed 30 Jun - 0:57:06

That was in a derby match between Villa and Birmingham. Grealish is basically Mr. Villa so he was an easy target, though shit like that isn't normal.

Anyway, he's always been talented, but he was held back by a party lifestyle, injuries and Villa being rubbish for a long time. It wasn't until they were relegated that he started fulfilling his talent.

At one point, he was going to represent Ireland at international level (so was Declan Rice btw) but Southgate convinced him to play for England instead. Unfortunately he had a big falling out with the U21 manager (who's one of Southgate's best mates) during a tournament and got a bad rep which is one reason it's taken so long for him to get in the team.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed 30 Jun - 1:34:46

Grealish has always been good.

He's just gotten so much stick given so many expectations were laid on to someone so far above his lower-table peers that naturally he faced scrutiny not to mention how much Birmingham City fans hated him.

He also is very frustrating to the opposition since he is nimble-footed and gets fouled a LOT as a result though dives as well.

But if anyone really knows a lot of his hate came upon his once questionable haircut to which I heard the "get a proper fucking haircut" from English men all the time.

Shame he didn't join Ireland as they needed someone in his form and haven't had a star since Robbie Keane.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed 30 Jun - 1:52:45

Agreed about the hair cut. A distraction in football imo

If i was manager it would be buzzcut for everyone. No pretty boys in my team
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed 30 Jun - 9:09:14

Nothing wrong with the haircut.

Successfully rocking the "90s Beckham on meth" look
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed 30 Jun - 10:43:52

I had to skip out at half time, but based on the first half I did think England had a chance to win it for sure. Alot of it was resting on Maguire, who was charging out to press Muller, the one time it didnt work, Rice took down Goretzka, which if not for the covering defender would have been a red.

After that, Maguire won every duel. With the wingback, inside forward plus midfield runner, you have to defend that rotational movement very well and its not easy.

I was impressed by England not sitting back in Germany's build up and instead going pretty much man v man everywhere, that I believe was the right way to go rather than what I expected, a 541 mid block with no ball pressure. Rice and Phillips had alot of ground to cover and that was tough, I think Phillips did it well and as I believed from the start, is a vastly superior player to Rice who is not convincing at all. I thought Saka was unlucky to be subbed but I didnt see the consequence of that tactical change as again I didnt watch any of the 2nd half.

They have a clear route to the final, but the 2 underdog sides they meet, cannot be underestimated at all.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 30 Jun - 13:49:03

M99 wrote:So we're not gonna talk about how Phillips should have gotten sent off for his challenge on Kroos?

The power of British commentators/media. They have pin drop silence about it so no one else is talking about it.

Crickets. Absolute crickets lol but it is what it is.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed 30 Jun - 17:56:18

Thanks Jay and everyone, well its good to have a player like Grealish, remains me of some of the more intelligent play makers types, those that always make the right pass at the right time.

Although havent seen much of him, definitely will keep an eye on him from now on.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed 30 Jun - 19:04:55

TBH I've just been relieved that clown Löw is finally gone, what a harsh 7 years (really, 9) it has been.
I'm just bummed Flick didn't take over sooner, we could've really won something at this Euros, especially in that bracket.

England deserved to go through, though if I take off my I-hate-Jogi-Löw-glasses, I have to say, Phillips should've seen a red, and England were quite lucky to not concede from Müller and Havertz, and maybe on a good day, Werner has one too.

Absolute clownery in defense for Germany though, typical Löw side, clueless on how to defend, shit at set pieces... But individually, I think our players mostly did well, this bodes well for the future.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed 30 Jun - 19:23:16

Also, we didn't talk about this, but I really liked that both teams took a knee.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Thu 1 Jul - 10:05:31

Germany were let down by their defence and slow midfield. Kroos was good when he was given space but he was slow in terms of getting into right position to stop creation of space in the middle. That is why there were so many fouls.

Also defence wise they were not properly organised. Normally it should have been 1-0 for England till the end and then Germany would have had more incentive to put pressure on England and they did have chances, it was just one of those days that German front players could not take their chances.

These things could be easily sorted though. So it is completely on Löw. Can't wait for Flick to take the reins and make us formidable again.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5