Swanhends
Abramovich
Gil
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12 Empty Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12

Post by Gil Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Similar to the Sturridge watch in the old forums except McEachran will be starting for Chelsea this time around. :coffee:

I'm pretty confident he'll have a Wilshere-esque impact this season especially after Essien's long term injury and him consistently out-performing all Chelsea's other midfielders so far this pre-season. Only thing that would prevent him from starting (IMO) is if we somehow signed Modric before Aug 16.

His performance today for those that CBA
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12 Empty Re: Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12

Post by Gil Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Josh McEachran's promise gives Chelsea hope of a balanced future

• Midfielder shows the way forward for ageing squad
• 'He is an amazing British talent for the future,' says Villas-Boas

Chelsea are growing used to accusations that theirs is an ageing squad in urgent need of rejuvenation. The latest was delivered over the weekend by Sir Alex Ferguson, surveying the early days of the André Villas-Boas tenure from distant Chicago, so it felt strangely appropriate that the first hint of a riposte was promptly delivered on the other side of the world by a rising young talent in the London club's ranks.

Josh McEachran, at 18, had offered evidence last season that he could become this club's Jack Wilshere. His tidy passing impressed in cameos across the competitions, with the five-year contract signed on the eve of the team's Asian tour just reward for the progress he has made. Now integrated fully into the senior squad, and a starter again in the 4-0 defeat of a Thailand All Stars XI on Sunday, he offers constant glimpses of what awaits this team. Not all in their number are seasoned.

There was composure in possession and one neat reverse pass here that particularly caught the eye, liberating a rampaging Branislav Ivanovic to sprint into enemy territory and slide in Chelsea's third and most impressive goal. Villas-Boas described McEachran as "an amazing British talent for the future" in the aftermath, with his continued progress presumably a key part of bridging eras in the long-term reinvention of this team.

"Josh offers flexibility," said the manager. "I don't want to focus a lot on one player, but it's all in his brain. He anticipates problems and has that speed of thought, that kind of capacity to anticipate things." Wilshere boasts those same qualities at Arsenal. McEachran will still need to be physically stronger to thrive, but his raw talent is reassuring.

Ferguson had been assessing the challengers to Manchester United's title when he pinpointed Chelsea as "the most experienced team in the Premier League", praise he tempered by warning they are approaching an "evolutionary stage and the new manager hasn't signed anyone yet, so that will be a bit of a concern". But, although nine of the first-team squad are over 30, what progress Chelsea have made in the market has been in recruiting the next generation. Thibault Courtois, the goalkeeper signed from Genk, is 19, as is the midfielder Oriol Romeu, who is en route from Barcelona B. They also hope to add Romelu Lukaku, 18, from Anderlecht. Integrate these players into the first team over the next two seasons and that ageist accusation will seem less appropriate.

The United manager had said the same three years ago, when Luiz Felipe Scolari was settling into the manager's position at Stamford Bridge. That the senior personnel remain virtually identical is revealing. But, for now, Villas-Boas is unconcerned. His own policy, he claims, is "wise". The reality is that Chelsea remain no closer to securing their most lavish transfer target, Luka Modric. Should the impasse remain for much longer with Tottenham Hotspur, then Villas-Boas is likely to seek instead to return to his former club for his compatriot João Moutinho as a pedigree alternative.

There remains a lack of invention and speed in the pass to this midfield, with McEachran learning and the forward line – Fernando Torres chief among them – craving slicker service. The tempo will improve with fitness, but the thrashing of the Thailand All Stars, a concoction of players from the local Premier division hastily bundled together, revealed very little. Thrusting on eight substitutes just after the hour against the tiring home players gave the scoreline a gloss that the first-half performance had hardly merited. Their play was still stodgy at times. It said much that McEachran's poise and passing were what chiefly drew the focus.

The squad will continue their energy-sapping pre-season in Hong Kong as of Monday with the manager insistent the elder statesmen, upon whom he will still rely, will cope with the rigours ahead. "You just have to respect the recovery periods needed for those players who are older in the squad," said Villas-Boas.

"Chelsea are the second or third oldest team in the Premier League but, again, look at the trophies these players have won and how successful they have been. We are looking to find the correct balance between experience and youth, that is all. These players have a lot to offer."
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Hope he does get more game time, cos he'll always be compared with Jack but its no fair if Jack is at the best training center and Josh is just on the bench Mad
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Great speed to his play...I quite like that

Extremely quick decision making
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Ultimately, he is poor man's Henderson :coffee:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm

hopefully Josh & Jack can fit together well at the senior level or else this is Lampard & Gerrard all over again
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm

i watched your friendly today (wanted to take a look at Torres' level after the holidays Very Happy ),
But its McEachran who surprised me a lot and i must admit he was boss today.very impressed.
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 pm

If its the case he is going to start alongside Lampard then i really dont understand the need for Modric especially for the ridiculous price Tottenham are asking for.

Look to forward to seeing him, he's the type of player i like watching more than any other.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm

poor mans George Thorne

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:14 pm

One of the few young englishman to truly keep an eye on.

Will be Lamps' heir as Chelsea will indeed miss him. Yet, McEacheran seems to have more raw talent then Lampard ever did and especially in the vision category.

But Gil, personally I feel he needs to bulk up... a lot
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Wilshere<Josh<Coutinho
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Ganso wrote:Wilshere<Josh<Coutinho<Shelvey

Last edited by nj on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Sir_Psycho_Sexy91 wrote:hopefully Josh & Jack can fit together well at the senior level or else this is Lampard & Gerrard all over again

Not if we're playing with three midfielders.

Comparisons with Wilshere are going to be inevitable but I don't think they're fair. Their styles are similar yet subtly different for one, and Wilshere is further along in his development. If they were at the same point in their careers I'd take it as a valid comparison.

Anyway, for England's sake I hope McEachran does develop well.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Wilshere > Henderson > Josh > Messi

:coffee:
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 am

Poor man's Merkel Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12 2859867778

But seriously I think he along with Wilshere is the most talented English footballer out there. Great vision and eye for pass, that kid has, won't be surprised if he nails himself as a starter this season.

But still poor man's Merkel Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12 2859867778

And also a poor man's Fossati Josh McEachran Watch - 11/12 2859867778
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:24 am

JOOOSSSHHH!

I love him already, one of my favourite players.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:18 am

People say could be like Gerrard - Lamps for England

but I think it could easily be like Xavi and Ineista too, the future shall be very interesting WC 2014 would probably be the most likely time to see them starting together.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Mceachran is NOT the new Lampard. Mceachran is part of this new breed of midfielders that do not get goals or DIRECT assists, but they are crucial in the build up of play. Lampard's game is about getting goals and making direct assists, but it really isn't about creating play. Mceachran is different in that he sits in the CM position and starts play from there, just like Modric. Modric doesn't get much goals or assists but he is heavily praised nevertheless because of his ability to create play which is crucial in the build-up of goals. Mceachran is similar, just that he probably has more pace and less physicality in him. This is another reason why I said we shouldn't get Modric because we already have a player in Mceachran in him, but rather we should go for a new Lampard like Pastore, whose play is about getting goals. Ancelotti used Mceachran as a DM whenever he played last season, trying to make him the new Pirlo obviously, but he is not a defensive midfielder; he's a CM and this showed today.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm

He's always going to be a step behind Wilshere.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Disagree.

Wilshere is a fantastic talent as we all know and is probably better player at this moment in time by the virtue of having played more top-level games, but that doesn't necessarily equate to him being more talented McEachran IMO. I love Wilshere's competitive edge and his bulldog instinct in the middle of the park..on the ball however McEachran is much better.

More natural on the ball, can spot a pass much better, has a lot more skill and is deceptively quick. Iniesta like if you will.

As good as Wilshere is he's still lacking that final pass at this point in his career and he isn't really as skillful as everyone tries to make out. You rarely see him do anything amazing with the ball unlike players in his age group of similar talent eg. Erikssen, Thiago, Gotze, McEachran, Henderson Laughing etc. Josh definitely has that in his locker though.

Two of them together would make one hell of a midfield duo though. Hopefully, Capello is out of the job soon so it'll happen in the near future.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm

A bit overrated atm.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Of course he is. He's English after all. Rolling Eyes
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Gil wrote:
Two of them together would make one hell of a midfield duo though. Hopefully, Capello is out of the job soon so it'll happen in the near future.

Unfortunatly for us english lot, the FA will end up replacing Capello with Mclaren Rolling Eyes
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Magricos wrote: A bit overrated atm.

Tell me about it !!

9 appearances in top tier football (or any tier football) from which only 1-2 were starts and he is already better/more potential than players who are seasoned Premierleague players, Bundesliga, etc

I mean he is clearly a very talented player, but I gotta give it to Gil. He is the Zamprini of the forum Laughing , would make a great agent !!

Flanagan is the next Cafu then Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Sepi wrote:
Magricos wrote: A bit overrated atm.

Tell me about it !!

9 appearances in top tier football (or any tier football) from which only 1-2 were starts and he is already better/more potential than players who are seasoned Premierleague players, Bundesliga, etc

I mean he is clearly a very talented player, but I gotta give it to Gil. He is the Zamprini of the forum Laughing , would make a great agent !!

Flanagan is the next Cafu then Shocked

Tbf to Gil, what he doe's is'nt a far cry from what i did with Carroll, only i got the whole forum to agree that he was god and he won god of the week Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next