che
ChollaVille
Giovanni10
chinomaster182
rwo power
Mr Nick09
16 posters

Go down

Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League Empty Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 am

The idea of creating a European Super League is back in the minds of the leaders of major European clubs. There are several companies that predend to be behind a project that might never come to life, first because of how difficulty it is to put together, and because of the reluctance of the bigs clubs to distance themselves from the control of UEFA. There have been talks of mogul Rupert Murdoc as one of the entrepreneurs involved. What is sure is that the US firm Creative Artists Agency (CAA) -counting Peter Kenyon among its directors, in which they even talk about a possible involvement of Jorge Mendes who months ago wanted to become an Atletico shareholder- is studying the market and looking for the necessary framework for the project to be possible and profitable.

Faced to this situation, the largest European clubs led by Real Madrid, AC Milan and Manchester Utd, asked Michael Platini a total reorganization of the Champions league, during their ECA meeting (European Club Association).

They want exclusivity and more money.

The proposal is very close to creating an almost exclusive competition for the big clubs. They believe that the first phase of the CL has no future, with half emptied stadiums and no real incentives for the fans. They want the big teams to face each other more often. They want for example, to see Milan and Real Madrid playing facing each other many times during the season, eliminating games they consider non appropriate for the top level of european competition. They arent seeking a closed league, but a radical change of competition,

FLorentino Perez and other european leaders are multiplying their efforts to get more income and are looking for a formula that will bring more money than the current Champions league. They arent looking for independence, but they are reaching out for dialogue, and they communicated so to ECA president Karl Heinz Rummenigge and to Michel Platini. They do not want to get out of UEFA, but they want immediate change.

In 1998, the idea of creating a Super League came from Media Partners, headed by Silvio Berlusconi. The various meetings led to a change in design and the economic division. The clubs created the G-14 and got involved with the TV rights generated by the competition. With the Arrival of Platini at the head of the UEFA 5 years ago, the group dissolved and became part of UEFA.

Now, rumor is that they are willing to come together again, and hold meetings outside of UEFA. But at the moment, they are awaiting for a response from Platini.

http://www.elconfidencial.com/deportes/2011/09/06/florentino-y-berlusconi-encabezan-un-movimiento-para-acabar-con-la-actual-champions-83759/
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League Empty Re: Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League

Post by rwo power Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 am

I think they underestimate that people other than the strongest supporters of the teams involved very likely would find that boring pretty fast to see always the same matches too often.

I mean - look at the El Classico marathon last season - was it really so cool after the 3rd or 4th match up if you weren't a Barca/RM follower? Frankly., I didn't even bother to watch Nr.3 and and Nr.4 anymore. There is so much as an overdose after all and I like variety in the matches I watch.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League Empty Re: Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 am

Not sure what to think of this, i like the group stages. It's not like the big teams are beating the smaller ones 5-0 every game, we've seen more than a couple of surprises in the group stages.

I like the big matches, but if they take away the group stages then smaller teams will have their extremely small chance of going far taken away from them.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 am

If only as a means to threaten Uefa, then side-proceedings have my blessing at least. I wouldn't like a split though in reality. I like the current format of the Champions League. I don't think any team in the competition is irrelevant because anyone can upset anyone else on any given day. What I do feel is that the new regulations allow a few very weak clubs to sneak in under the radar while current "2nd tier clubs" from the elite leagues have to sit out.

For example, who would win in a match between BATE Borisov and Liverpool? And which of these two would neutral fans prefer to see in the world's most elite club competition? I think both of those questions are rhetorical.
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:02 am

Giovanni10 wrote:For example, who would win in a match between BATE Borisov and Liverpool? And which of these two would neutral fans prefer to see in the world's most elite club competition? I think both of those questions are rhetorical.
Actually, NEUTRAL fans wouldn't mind as they would only watch for the football played and not for any names.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:02 am

Platini will and should just scoff at them. What a bunch of arrogant pricks. The CL is fine and should not be touched. It actually shares the revenue... I know that's a novel concept, especially for Madrid.

If they even try to push this forward, lawmaker, whether local or the EU, will jump in and squash it. Nobody takes Berlusconi seriously anymore... So he carries very little weight in EU politics. I know that France and Germany will oppose this big time and they are the two biggest political forces.

Can't begin to express how disgusting this is to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 am

Only I can sugest is 4 groups with 8 teams, and 4 teams per group advancing in 1/8. That is 4 mini leagues, more games, big clubs faceing each others more times.

Groups for this season are:
Berlusconi and Perez head a movement to change to current Champions League E0f0d1683ef4e2617a8403060b7db572

So if you made 4 groups with 8 teams it gets more interesting, but still 4 the best clubs will go trough, so 1/8 will stay same as before but we could see better games in group stage.
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:35 am

ChollaVille wrote:Only I can sugest is 4 groups with 8 teams, and 4 teams per group advancing in 1/8. That is 4 mini leagues, more games, big clubs faceing each others more times.
So if you made 4 groups with 8 teams it gets more interesting, but still 4 the best clubs will go trough, so 1/8 will stay same as before but we could see better games in group stage.
Well, on the other hand that would put even more stress on the players as the amount of matches increases drastically. Moreover it takes far more time to play out these "mini leagues" - where will you put this in the normal schedules?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

exactly what madrid need, more money :facepalm:

perez and berlusconi can go *bleep* themselves, that's all i have to say on this topic
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 am

rwo power wrote:
ChollaVille wrote:Only I can sugest is 4 groups with 8 teams, and 4 teams per group advancing in 1/8. That is 4 mini leagues, more games, big clubs faceing each others more times.
Well, on the other hand that would put even more stress on the players as the amount of matches increases drastically. Moreover it takes far more time to play out these "mini leagues" - where will you put this in the normal schedules?

CL almost every week, why not?
Team has 25 players. Make rotation. It is same for everyone, but only the best will survive.
And weaker domestic teams will have more chance to beat "tired" CL teams in domesctic leagues.
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:14 am

What a stooopid idea.

Domestic competition >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> International club level competition

In other words, any suggestions that would change domestic competitions the tiniest bit should be thrown in the bin straight away.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 am

On the one hand , teams like bate borisov getting to the champions leauge every year annoy me but...........what can you do? they have to win their leauge and go through playoffs.

Don't know what to think.Wanting to see Madrid vs United for the last 7 years is corrupting my thoughts.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:20 am

Art Morte wrote:What a stooopid idea.

In other words, any suggestions that would change domestic competitions the tiniest bit should be thrown in the bin straight away.

"A magical European night at Ainfield" European club competition > Domestic competition.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 am

ragbirjosh wrote:
"A magical European night at Ainfield" European club competition > Domestic competition.

Liverpool v Everton = Liverpool v Real Madrid

Liverpool v Real Madrid >>> Liverpool v Bolton

Liverpool playing only in a domestic league (Premier League) >>>>>>>> Liverpool playing only in a European Super League.

In my opinion.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 am

ragbirjosh wrote:

Its called magical European night in the first place because its rare.We didnt call any group stage match a special its those rare knock out matches which comes twice or thrice a year.

Carling cup quater final >>>>>> Another random group game whoever its against.

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am

This is a ridiculous idea the great thing about football is that you never know what is going to happen, smaller teams should be given more of a chance to produce surprises. This would just not work out why change something that is already perfect.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 am

che wrote:
perez and berlusconi can go *bleep* themselves, that's all i have to say on this topic

+1
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:01 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
ragbirjosh wrote:

Its called magical European night in the first place because its rare.We didnt call any group stage match a special its those rare knock out matches which comes twice or thrice a year.

Carling cup quater final >>>>>> Another random group game whoever its against.

@Beautifulgame I completely agree

@Artmorte I'm not from England so the Everton rivalry dosen't mean as much to me as it does to you.That being said Having lived in Madrid for a short while.That being said , the champions leauge Knockout round is just special IMO.Even Real v Atletico wasn't as special as Real v Bayern or Real v Milan.The atmosphere is on a different level.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Why don't they just reintroduce the 2nd group phase of the CL?
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by H.A. Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 pm

I think the problem currently is that the eastern european teams are getting stronger each year which limits the more famous clubs to move in the last 16/8.

Personally I do love how the 'bigger' clubs get defeated by the 'smaller' clubs but it really is bothering the heads of the 'bigger' clubs.

I have an idea which I'm not to sure about. The Europa League should be scrapped. Introduce a group stage where you have the clubs ranked 3-7 in the leagues to fight for a place in a final 32 Knockout Stage which starts in January. I think they should also factor in the top eastern teams and somehow publicize them.

I have a second idea which I don't really support but I'm putting it out there since that's what some big clubs want. Divide the CL into east and west and scrap the Europa League. Have three group stages, one with 8 and second with 2. Then have a single group for the final 4 teams. If two teams equal in points then goal difference should be neglected in favor of a knockout styled final match.

Anyway I don't really like the idea of having a league, knockout styled tournament are always the best Very Happy
H.A.
H.A.
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm

What I ve would ve abolished is CL qualifications. Nobody watches, plus teams starting from round 1, have a low chance of getting to group stage.

Also, only 1 and 2nd places should play in CL. This will up Uefa Cup prestige and get investment.
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Omniscient Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 pm

rwo power wrote:
Giovanni10 wrote:For example, who would win in a match between BATE Borisov and Liverpool? And which of these two would neutral fans prefer to see in the world's most elite club competition? I think both of those questions are rhetorical.
Actually, NEUTRAL fans wouldn't mind as they would only watch for the football played and not for any names.

Yeah, and I would imagine that Liverpool or Juventus play better football than BATE Borisov or Trabzonspor.

Omniscient
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:What I ve would ve abolished is CL qualifications. Nobody watches, plus teams starting from round 1, have a low chance of getting to group stage.

Also, only 1 and 2nd places should play in CL. This will up Uefa Cup prestige and get investment.

Well, qualifications are boring unless it is your team in it. Thats why they're there. Without them, small teams cant get in. That might be a good idea in itself though...

Anyway, all this European reform stuff going around is rubbish. IMO they should leave it how it is.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down