julias
Sushi Master
Arsenalfaithfull
Jay29
RealGunner
34 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ] Empty Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ]

Post by RealGunner Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ] Zp_124368320SM003_Arsenal_Trai_1414
Gervinho returns

Venue: Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund
Date: Tuesday, 13 September
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Live on Sky sports 4 (seriously?)

Champions League Kick off

The time of the year we all love is back. Champions league Football, And at it's best as well. Arsenal travel to Iduna Park to play One of the Europe's hottest team in Borussia Dortmund. This is probably the most anticipated match of Group F, Or Even the whole CL group stage. Wenger in his press Conference Described Dortmund as the Arsenal of Germany. Obviously thats a compliment to them but The game, potentially is going to be a cracker.

Arsenal goes into the match with Hope and a New belief. The game against Swansea might not have been one of the best we have played in, but it was good enough to build up confidence, after what happened 2 weeks ago. I think players will be looking forward to the match, If we get 3 points there, then i would imagine We will be favourites to top the group as we are literally unbeatable at home.

Dortmund are quite inexperienced in Europe. This might play into our hands if we play the right tactics. But this doesnt mean they are rubbish, They have got a heck of a squad. And infront of 69k fans, they will be really hard to beat.

Team News for Arsenal

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey has been ruled out of Tuesday's Champions League match at Borussia Dortmund after injuring his ankle in training. Rosicky also Misses out.

The good news however is that Song and Gervinho returns to the squad. Theo walcott is NOT suspended and will take part in the match. Oxlade and Jenkinson didnt make the 18 man squad.

Team News for Dortmund

Lucas Barrios is yet to play this season after tearing a thigh muscle during Paraguay's Copa América final defeat by Uruguay. Marvin Bakalorz, Patrick Owomoyela and Julian Koch are all out. Bender however is fit.

Match Facts

• Dortmund's next defeat in UEFA competition will be their 50th.

• Arsenal have scored 198 goals in the UEFA Champions League, group stage to final.

• This is Arsenal's 150th European Cup match, during which they have conceded 147 goals.

• Mario Gotze has 3 assists and 1 goal in 5 App so far for Dortmund

• Arshavin Finally scored after 19 games in all competition against Swansea

• The last Time Arsenal played Dortmund was in 2002. Arsenal won 2-0 at home with Bergkamp n Ljunberg scoring. But They lose 2-1 away with Gilberto scoring an own goal and a certain tomas rosicky scoring a penalty for Dortmund.

Probable Teams

Arsenal

----------------------------Szczesny------------------------------------

sagna-------------Mertesacker----------Koscielny---------------Andre Santos

----------------------Song-----------------Frimpong-----------------------

-------------------------------Arteta---------------------------------------

Theo--------------------------Van persie------------------------Gervinho

* Not sure about theo, Maybe Benayoun might start on the left with gervinho on the right ?

Dortmund

-------------------------------Weidenfeller------------------------------------

Piszczek------------- Subotić----------- Hummels -----------------Schmelzer

-----------------------Bender-------------Gündoğan-------------------------

------------Gotze------------------Kagawa------------------------- Grosskreutz;

-------------------------------Lewandowski------------------------------------

Final say

Ideally 3 points will be the best outcome for us, but it would be understandable if we come out with a point. The team still needs few more games to gel and Dortmund away will be really hard.

Prediction: 2-1 to Arsenal

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ] Empty Re: Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ]

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Neither us nor BvB are in great form at the moment so this will certainly be an interesting match.

BvB like to play a quick passing game with lots of off-the-ball pressure applied to their opponents, so our passing is going to have to be much better than it has been recently for us to sustain any sort of pressure.

I hope we go in with a midfield of Frimpong and Song. Götze is bound to come inside more than go down the flank; likewise Grosskreutz. Having two anchors in there would really help with this.

A lot of attention will be on Mario Götze but I think Dortmund's real threat will come from Shinji Kagawa. We also must be weary of Hummels and Subotic from set-pieces. Those two are giants.

I can see both teams cancelling each other out and the game ending in a draw, but I can also see Dortmund benefitting from home-field advantage. If we are to win, it'll probably be from a goal on the counter. Given our current form it's hard to see us really performing well on the night.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ] Empty Re: Dortmund Vs Arsenal [ Champions league ]

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 pm

I will be happy if our boys put in a good show. PL, Cups, and Making the top 4 should be a priority at this point. I cannot see wenger using Theo in the starting lineup. Something tells me, we are going to play with 2 strikers, 3 mids, and 1 player with the free role.

I predict Koscielny is going to be the star of the match for us. He usually does well against teams like BVD.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I agree on putting Kos in would be best: Dortmund is extremely fast and we need all the speed we can get. Mert's not fast... but who cares, he knows all these guys and his experience is invaluable.

I wouldn't play Song - Frimpong, because their midfield is currently weak. Sure, Sven is a beast but Gundogan is a huge weak point and isn't ready to replace Sahin yet, so we might just win the midfield battle and thus possession. I would not rely on possession though, because then we'd get shot down in counters, but I know Wenger's going to be cautious here.

Gervinho is great to have back and will definitely start. Not sure if Walcott's getting some rest, Benayoun some time or maybe Arshavin starts... depends on Wenger's strategy, but we really need to be efficient if we're going to take anything out of this game. Van Persie will get bossed around by Hummels and Subotic, so he needs to use that great brain of his and orchestrate play along with tuning his finishing. Their defense is not fast at all, but defends deep so don't expect much wing play.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:50 pm

id pretty much agree with GJ this is going to be a very difficult match for us
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Nice job rg.

Will be a tough game but Dortmund just lost at home to Hertha, even if they were without Gotze.

A draw here and a win on Saturday will suit me.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd be happy with a draw, as well. This is the toughest match of the group and since we aren't in great shape, a draw would be a good result. Another clean sheet would probably do wonders for the teams confidence, too.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Really interesting to see how it turns out.. I believe we can get a narrow victory here.. Will be happy with a draw too..
I would like to give some rest to Walcott.. And it must be Benayoun over Arshavin..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Die_Roten Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I would've loved to see this game with Cesc and Nasri still at Arsenal, and Sahin still at Dortmund.

With both teams in the form they're in, I have a hard time believing this could be a great game. But I'll keep my fingers crossed Very Happy
Die_Roten
Die_Roten
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 am

Like us Dortmund ain't in good form. They also lie 11th in their league!

I expect an open game, but not with much goals. I'd be happy with a scored draw, as the team still needs to get it "right"! Though, of course, nothing gives you more relieve in the UCL group stages if you win you first match! Thumbs up

They are at home, and they'll have their fans on their side. And, of course, ya'll all know our poor away form in the Champions League. But i think we will score and might juz snatch this one 2-1! :p
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 am

For the first time in about 10 years i am feeling nervous about a Champions League group game.

The new signings have at least bolstered the squad and Mertzedker should be able to give us some in sights into the Dortmund team. But i still think we might struggle to create enough chances without Ramsey or Wilshire in the middle of the park.

Although its not good to see us struggling for form it is actually quite exciting to feel a bit of pressure for the first time in a long time, we will find out how much of the squad has the fight to get us back to where we belong !

Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 am

Mertzedker?
Mertesacker ==
I get worried before every game T__T.

Hi there, you been lurking how long?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 am

Prediction for tonights game??

Anyone seen much of the "German Messi" Goetze??
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 am

We have a prediction thread for that.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks Beatrix i have posted on there
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:12 am

Welcome Halfway !!!!!!!!

It's awesome to have a 30y poster around here for a change xD

I hope you enjoy staying here Smile
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Spider,

Jensen was one of my early Arsenal Favourites pre the Wenger Period.

First ever shirt had Merson No 10 on the back !
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:20 am

Well we better win, in celebration (:
I joined right before the Arsenal-Liverpool game when Eboue conceded that crap last minute penalty >>
And they lost on my birthday T__T.
So maybe we'll have more luck this time.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 am

Halfway wrote:Hi Spider,

Jensen was one of my early Arsenal Favourites pre the Wenger Period.

First ever shirt had Merson No 10 on the back !

Which period you prefer the most ? Wenger's or the pre wenger's

and what about now what is you fav player from this group ?
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 am

Eboue; what a player.........................

Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:31 am

The best period for me was the early Wenger years. Vieira and Petit in the middle was perhaps the finest midfield partnership in Premier League history.

Other than that the George Graham European Cup Winners Cup team was great. Going against teams that were technically much better than us but grinding out results to lift the trophy was a great achievement
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 am

Favourite player in the current squad is Sagna, consistently the best right back in the premier league and always gives 100%
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:33 am

ANFIELD '89?
Stuff of legends.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfway Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 am

Great team as well ! ! I was only 8 yrs old then so even though i watched it i couldnt really appreciate what an achievment that was until later years.

1991 was the first year i can really remember following Arsenals every move lol
Halfway
Halfway
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 am

I torrented the match, but I'm really too lazy to bother watching it yet :L

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next