Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca)

4 posters

Go down

Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca) Empty Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca)

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 pm

The previous week, Sevilla president José María Del Nido had invited 18 first division clubs -- all of them except Madrid and Barcelona -- to Seville to discuss the issues that confronted them. Del Nido's obsession was what he himself had called "A crap league -- the biggest pile of junk in Europe." In the end, 12 clubs turned up. On the agenda: the establishment of a central fund to control income, a central power to take decisions and a redistribution of TV money.
A recent proposed deal, established and prepared to come into force in 2015 sought to enshrine inequality, handing 34 percent of TV money to Madrid and Barcelona. Del Nido insisted that the balance needed to be made more equal to ensure a more comeptitive league. He was proposing Madrid and Barcelona receiving a little over €71 million ($93M) a season -- still far more than the others but a long way from the current €153 million ($209M) being proposed. But that was just one of the issues on the table and these were little more than preliminary discussions. A show of will; a show of strength.
Although concrete decisions were not made, there was a collective willingness to alter things in Spain -- an agreement that the current model could not continue. There were plans for more meetings, to which Madrid and Barcelona would be invited. "They weren't invited this time," Del Nido explained, "because their problems are so different to the rest of ours."
More discussions would be held but the first and most difficult step had been taken: they had recognized that there was a problem and vowed to so something about it.
"This cannot now be stopped," Del Nido said afterward. He even likened it to the French Revolution, adding: "and we all know how that guy ended up."
Seven days later, though, and it was Del Nido who saw the glistening blade of the Guillotene hanging over him. This revolution was crushed emphatically. When he entered the league's HQ in Madrid, Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez did not shake his hand. When he departed, four bitter and tense hours later, he did so defeated. At the moment of truth, he had been deserted. Madrid president Pérez and Barcelona president Sandro Rosell attacked him furiously. The 12 clubs that had been in Sevilla, the 12 clubs that had supposedly agreed on the need for change a week earlier, whistled and looked the other way.
"Madrid took a firm stance against Sevilla," the Sevilla vice-president José María del Cruz said afterward. "Some of the clubs even said sorry for coming to the meeting [in Seville] last week. This was a disgrace. The posture they have taken is: everyone against Sevilla. Some don't even want to hear of the possibility of a more just distribution of money. Only Espanyol and Betis stood by us. Everyone else has kept silent as if it was nothing to do with them."
Espanyol director Joan Collet -- who was unfortunate enough to be sitting between Pérez and Rosell -- described the scene. "I exposed myself [to their anger]," he said. "I said that I was part of the group of clubs [that had protested] and that Sevilla were merely the hosts. I said I hoped to be able to talk about the crap league and that I would do it again. But others backed out. The thing is, when Madrid and Barcelona stand before them, when Florentino [Pérez] starts to talk, the other clubs s--t themselves."

suprised pathetico and valencia didnt support him. They both have a lot of fans and could generate more money for the league if given a base to build from methink

Sauce
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca) Empty Re: Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca)

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 pm

LOL the way he put it was so simple "they shit themselves"
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca) Empty Re: Espanyol director: Lal Liga Clubs scared of Perez(+ Barca)

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:52 pm

There is an healthy dose of LOL factor to this whole situation, but it shouldnt be that way.

I'm sure they were more angered about the other presidents having some sort of secret meeting than anything else. Truth is, giving up half of the money Barca and Real are currently receiving isnt unreasonable for the sake of the league.

But they do need to do things properly and have a united front. The private meeting sounded a bit fantasist but in due time im sure things will be negotiate properly.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Quite possibly the 1st time I feel bad for Del Nido. In the time of need, only Betis and Espanyol stuck with him. Not surprising how it ended, not surprised at all.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

But is it over? they are not going to negotiate the new TV deals for a while anyway, this was more of a public stunt than anything else really.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 pm

The problem is that the other clubs are incapable of creating their own brand and Madrid/Barca feel little incentive to invest in them. Barca & Madrid are kings of the world in terms of world club football... why change?

The biggest problem is that the LFP is so inept and corrupt. There is no way in the world either Barca or Madrid are going to surrender power and invest in them. That's where the revolution in La Liga football needs to start. Once the league is being run by competent and smart people, you can then go to Barca and Madrid and sell them on a vision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum