Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back?

+15
jibers
Art Morte
Iceman
Omniscient
RedOranje
Giovanni10
BarrileteCosmico
dostoevsky
El Chelsea Fuerte
Swanhends
Doc
Mr Nick09
McAgger
justdoit_
michael1
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Highly you rate Patrice Evra?

Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_lcap9%Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_lcap9%Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_lcap37%Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 16 ]
Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_lcap44%Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 43

Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Empty Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 am

In the world.

2 seasons ago...Cole-Evra were undisputed best LBs in the world.

Evra has massively fallen, well even according to the most biased United fans....How highly do you rate him now? Do you see him as a weak link in United's line up ?

Back to top Go down

Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Empty Re: Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back?

Post by michael1 Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 am

Not rubbish but his age is catchin up with him and he isnt the player he used to be.

Richards tore him apart last night.
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back? Empty Re: Is Patrice Evra still a top 5 left back?

Post by justdoit_ Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 am

Top five, a little bit due to the limited amount of noteworthy left backs.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 am

I know Evans will get all the blame, but if Evra didn't go AWOL for the last 5 minutes (Welbeck tracked back for him), the score line wouldn't be as embarrassing at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 am

Rubbish......With this form I'm sure there are ten other LB's better than him at the moment.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 am

It's hard to discount him given his amount of experience and how he did for Utd in the past couple of seasons, but he is aging fast and showing his wrong side at the moment.

In my opinion he can still be great, he is just wearing his donkey cape at the moment
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 am

He really isn't his dominant self and I doubt he would ever be. Maybe due to experience, he can fit into the top 10 full backs but his form does not suggest he is fit for such a title.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:42 am

Unquestionably yes
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 am

Surprised he has aged so fast..he's only 30. Same age as Cole.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 am

It's not that I particularly like Evra, however I'm struggling to name those who are more consistent than him, even if he has declined. Most of the names need another year or so of consistent performances to be declared top five left backs.

Borderline top five I'd say. I can't believe someone voted for him as the best left-back in the world though. Lahm comfortably holds that crown at the moment in my eyes.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 am

The problem with this kind of assessment is the quality of available LBs. Yes, he has declined... but I can't name 10 better players in that position.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 am

Past his prime.

The funny thing as well, don't think the responsibility of the captaincy armband is helping him either. I like a captain to be calm, but be able to rally the troops when needed.

Evra as captain has been a poor choice, he's on some sort of a mission to own the entire left side now and its actually making him suspect in positioning.
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem with this kind of assessment is the quality of available LBs. Yes, he has declined... but I can't name 10 better players in that position.

I can give you five just from the top 2 in La Liga:

Marcelo, Abidal, Coentrao, Adriano and possibly even Maxwell.

Lol, Ok maybe Maxwell is a stretch..
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 am

Hasn't Coentrao been moved to DM by Mourinho?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Omniscient Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 am

RedOranje wrote:Hasn't Coentrao been moved to DM by Mourinho?

Not really, I think Mourinho had a change of heart after realising Coentrao at DM is like Diarra playing CF.

Omniscient
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 am

Abidal
Kolarov
Lahm
Marcelo
Cashley
Baines
-------------

I rate all of these higher than him atm.
Oh, and Santos of course Cool
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 am

Iceman wrote:Abidal
Kolarov
Lahm
Marcelo
Cashley
Baines
-------------

I rate all of these higher than him atm.
Oh, and Santos of course Cool
I notice two rather interesting exclusions from your list...

Also, whatever happened to Filipe Luis? He seemed an immense talent at Deportivo but since his injury and subsequent move to Atletico he's really dropped off the radar.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 am

Red, those are the ones that just popped into my heard.

I'd add Clichy, but he has been completely overshadowed by Kolarov. No idea why City bought him tbh.
And yes, Enrique should be included in that list. All the more reason why Evra ain't no top 5 LB atm
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 am

Benoit Assout-Ekotto >> Patrice Evra

What's going on with the da Silva brothers, by the way?
Rafael's been injured, right? Anyway, I've been expecting to see more of them. They're 21 by now, so shouldn't they be ready if they just possess the quality?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:32 am

Evra has been meh since 2009. I'll point out a few things.

2009 CL final, eto cuts in from the left and scores first goal.
2nd goal from messi, xavi got the ball from a poor evra clearance

2011 final, evra gets dragged out of position by messi and xavi assists pedro
3rd goal messi causes havoc on the left again.

These are just small examples but do you see the pattern? Evra has been poor for a while now. People only consider him a top lb because he plays for us. I try to be as unbiased when I can when having a serious discussion. The guy is out of his depth. Best lb in the prem? Surely not, not on Ashley Coles previous level tbh.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthlesGangstaDef:villin Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 am

van aanolt > Evra + Enrique
RuthlesGangstaDef:villin
RuthlesGangstaDef:villin
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 am

If the likes of Cissohko and Tremoulinas had maintained consistent performances and thrown Evra out of the national team then I'd have excluded him from the discussion almost immediately, however most names that I think of are equally prone to poor games, or, like the likes of Schmelzer and Criscito, require testing at a higher level.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by uzonero Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am

no where near top 5 atm.

He has been suspect at the back and doesn't really offer much going forward.
uzonero
uzonero
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:36 am

There is something wrong with atm. Maybe lack of competition or the fact he is captain of the team when Vidic is not playing has made him become so complacent.

On his day, he is def top 5 LB. But atm, he isn't. Defensively he is very bad, positioning all over the place that he drags one of our cb's to cover for him...attacking wise he doesn't offer us nothing as he is a terrible crosser of the ball. He never seems to track runners and mainly stays up the field and jogs back (which infuriates me).

I personally think he needs to get benched and that Fabio should get that position. Evra needs to feel that his spot is not guaranteed, it might give him a much needed kick up the ass.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 pm

I have never rated him as high as most people......

Always considered him a myth just like Maicon he is considered a train going forward and a beast defensively and while its true both are trains going forward ( tho both are nowhere near the threat they once was) but both imo are nowhere near as good as defensively as people make out.....

If you look at goal's Utd concede in big games over the last 3-4 years majority have been due to mistakes by Evra or positional errors by Evra......

No he isnt a top 5 LB.......
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next