juve_gigi
eddy
JuvenelCuore
AttacanteBG
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?  Empty Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:52 pm

It took over two years for Gigi Riva to open his scoring account for the Italian national side. Having debuted against Hungary in June 1965, the Cagliari legend had to wait until his fourth cap during a European Championship qualifier against Cyprus, in November 1967, to ripple the net.

Having come out for the second half 2-0 up in Cosenza, the striker, then six days shy of his 23rd birthday, completed a sensational 13 minute hat-trick to stake his claim to a regular place in the team. It was the beginning of a scoring streak which saw him celebrate an incredible 18 goals over a 12-game period for the Azzurri.

Today, Riva is Italy’s all time top scorer thanks to 35 strikes in just 42 games for his country – having surpassed Giuseppe Meazza’s 33 in 53 record and Silvio Piola’s tally of 30 in 34. In the modern era, Roberto Baggio and Alessandro Del Piero managed 27 – also thanks to penalty duties which saw them net seven and six spot-kicks respectively – but nobody has really threatened to surpass the great Gigi.

Now, 37 years after the owner of the Cagliari No 11 shirt last played for Italy at the 1974 World Cup, Mario Balotelli has, in theory at least, the possibility to re-write history and dethrone the Sardinian icon as the country’s most prolific goalscorer.

“There are certain similarities between us as players,” Riva, who presently works for the Italian national side, noted. “He has quality, including an eye for goal and power. He could really become a great player and I hope he could be my heir, but it all depends on him now.”

As it stands, Balotelli seemingly has all that he needs in place to score goals on the international stage for the next decade and, in doing so, edge towards that Riva achievement. He has the time, the potential and now an opportunity to cement his place in the starting XI after being on the fringes of the first team since the appointment of Cesare Prandelli in the summer of 2010.

Balotelli won his first cap in August last year aged 19 years, 11 months and 29 days. To put that into perspective, Meazza was 19 years, five months and 17 days old when he made his Italy debut back in February 1930. If he can stay injury free, unlike Riva whose career was cut short by physical problems, there is no on the field reason why he wouldn’t be in the Giro Azzurro from now until he hits 30.

In terms of ability, Balotelli is somewhat unique on the Italian footballing landscape. There are other players who know where the goal is – such as Giampaolo Pazzini, Alessandro Matri and Giuseppe Rossi – but they don’t have the Manchester City man’s combination of strength and skill.

It’s a mix which Prandelli is now starting to make use of as the last two games, where Mario has impressed, have testified. Without the injured Rossi and the recovering Antonio Cassano for the next six months, Balotelli has been handed the chance to make his claim for a starting shirt and the possibility of playing in multiple games at Euro 2012 next summer.

If the sometimes unpredictable Super Mario can continue to mature – as he has been doing in recent months for club and country – and be fortunate enough to be a part of a competitive Azzurri national side, then his maiden Italian strike in Poland on Friday, during his sixth cap, could well be the first step up a 36 rung ladder.
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?  Empty Re: Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 pm

What are you talkin about?

Balotelli just made first 2 good apearnces for Italy and already you are comparing him to one of the biggest Italian players ever

AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?  Empty Re: Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:57 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:What are you talkin about?

Balotelli just made first 2 good apearnces for Italy and already you are comparing him to one of the biggest Italian players ever

I didn't write this :facepalm:

Last edited by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I know, but it is too early for that statements.

He just managed to get two good perfromances, he isn't a regular starter yet
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Butt then again you don't realize that Balotelli is considered to be the next big thing in Italy. One comparison to Baggio, now claims of him being better than Riva. It's not about the international level alone, it's what he's doing with his club, his previous sucess and what he has won at such a young age. In Italian football it's rare to see young talents like this come out. Were talking about a player who is/was Italy's best U20 player this past decade by scoring + 20 goals with Inter at the age of 18. That being said, he has won it all. From, Champions League, to Scudetto, to the Coppa Italia, to the FA Cup. All he's missing now is an international tournament cup. He's only 21 years old and has a long way to go, imagine what he can do in three years from now? There's a reason why they say... he can become as big as Ronaldo in comparison to being one of the top strikers in the future.

His debut with the U21 speaks for itself.

Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 pm

I realize people rate him high.

And he has alot of talent.

But comparing him to Cristiano Ronaldo(i dont even want to think you meant Luis Nazario) and Baggio is laughable.

Let him have 1-2 good consistent season, and then we will see.

You said he won it all, but he almost ruined the season in Inter when they won treble.

I always said he is young player and th critisicm is maybe hars on him and it will take time for him to mature and become world class, but this is overhyping him.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo is not a legend. Mario Balotelli is better than he is. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote:Cristiano Ronaldo is not a legend. Mario Balotelli is better than he is. :coffee:

Did i say he is a legend?

And what is the purpose of your post? If you dont have anything consrtuctive to say, then dont write at all about this topic
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:Cristiano Ronaldo is not a legend. Mario Balotelli is better than he is. :coffee:

Did i say he is a legend?

And what is the purpose of your post? If you dont have anything consrtuctive to say, then dont write at all about this topic

"Comparing him [Balotelli] to Cristiano Ronaldo and Baggio..."

Baggio is a legend, ergo, if you think Cristiano Ronaldo is on the same level ["and"] then you imply he is a legend. :coffee:

It is too early to tell and I despise making assumptions like this. Hated when Milos Krasic came touted as the "next" Pavel Nedved, and hate this as well. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:26 pm

I dont think Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend and i dont think he is anywhere near Baggio(who is a legend) but that is not the topic.

However both Cristiano Ronaldo and Baggio have one thing in common-they are far ahead of Balotelli.

Dont know where Krasic-Nedved comparasions came from, only thing they have in comon is hair.

AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:I realize people rate him high.

And he has alot of talent.

But comparing him to Cristiano Ronaldo(i dont even want to think you meant Luis Nazario) and Baggio is laughable.

Let him have 1-2 good consistent season, and then we will see.

You said he won it all, but he almost ruined the season in Inter when they won treble.

I always said he is young player and th critisicm is maybe hars on him and it will take time for him to mature and become world class, but this is overhyping him.

Laughable? How so? Mancini went out and said he can be just as good, the same implies with Ranieri, even Prandelli said he can do so. These are just those regular coaches, Italian coaches... coaches like Ranieri for example never rely on youth, but yet claims things like this proves he can do it. But those just opinions from those who knows more than us fans. What is laughable is that you ignored the facts I brought out to you, and yet those facts are still laughable in which you think is funny to say he can't become just as good... If possible, please find me another player in Europe alone CURRENTLY, who has done just the same or more at Mario's age. If so, please provide me a source with those stats, if not then it goes to show how good of a player he is and the potential is just tremendous compared to others.

Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:I dont think Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend and i dont think he is anywhere near Baggio(who is a legend) but that is not the topic.

However both Cristiano Ronaldo and Baggio have one thing in common-they are far ahead of Balotelli.

Dont know where Krasic-Nedved comparasions came from, only thing they have in comon is hair.

Of course they are far away, the point is... Balotelli could be just like them or better.
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:I dont think Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend and i dont think he is anywhere near Baggio(who is a legend) but that is not the topic.

Well please specify next time, as it was quite easy to misunderstand.

Yes, Moggi said that too about the hair. That is what made it so outrageous...the fact that they play nothing alike. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Laughable? How so? Mancini went out and said he can be just as good, the same implies with Ranieri, even Prandelli said he can do so

So when Mancini's quotes became legimit fact?

And Ranieris?

Managers sometimes say things to make their players feel confident, it doesn't have to be fact.

Gerrard once said Joe Cole could do anything Messi can.

What is laughable is that you ignored the facts I brought out to you, and yet those facts are still laughable in which you think is funny to say he can't become just as good

Wich facts? Bring me one fact he can be as good as Roberto Baggio?

And find one quote where i said he can't become one of the best players. All i said it is too early for that comparasions.

If possible, please find me another player in Europe alone CURRENTLY, who has done just the same or more at Mario's age. If so, please provide me a source with those stats, if not then it goes to show how good of a player he is and the potential is just tremendous compared to others.

Pato for example has done more than him.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

AttacanteBG wrote:
So when Mancini's quotes became legimit fact?

And Ranieris?

Managers sometimes say things to make their players feel confident, it doesn't have to be fact.

Gerrard once said Joe Cole could do anything Messi can.

Wich facts? Bring me one fact he can be as good as Roberto Baggio?

And find one quote where i said he can't become one of the best players. All i said it is too early for that comparasions.

Pato for example has done more than him.

Those are prime examples of experts within Italian football who know the sport more than me and you. That being said, their opinions are more respected over ours. And it's not only me, go refer to those like Marco Verratti, prospects like him who have Puma sponsering for him before coming up with none sense like this.

Bring one fact? Being the best Italian youth product this past decade speaks for itsself. His achievement and statistics don't lie.

False answer, Pato is 22 years old, I'm asking within the same age and within their prime from U20 days.

Balotelli has won: Four Scudettos, One Coppa Italia, One Champions League, One FA Cup(Being Man of the Match). Not to mention won the award of the best Youngster in the EPL last year.

Pato: One Scudetto, One Confed. Cup... that's it?

Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Those are prime examples of experts within Italian football who know the sport more than me and you. That being said, their opinions are more respected over ours. And it's not only me, go refer to those like Marco Verratti, prospects like him who have Puma sponsering for him before coming up with none sense like this.

Mourinho is one of the best coaches in the world.

He said that Drogba is the best striker in the world, he said Ibrahimovic is the best striker in the world and then he said that Eto'o is the best striker in the world. All in space in 3 years.

So because Mourinho knows alot about football, i should belive that 1=3?

Coaches sometimes say alot of things to make player play better, deal with it. Mancini and Prandelli both coach Balotelli, ofcourse they would say it.

Bring one fact? Being the best Italian youth product this past decade speaks for itsself. His achievement and statistics don't lie.

Again, being the great youth product doesn't mean having great and sucsesfuul career. After his immature behaviour he managed to make some good performances, he is doing good for now but he is nowhere near established player.

False answer, Pato is 22 years old, I'm asking within the same age and within their prime from U20 days.

Balotelli has won: Four Scudettos, One Coppa Italia, One Champions League, One FA Cup(Being Man of the Match). Not to mention won the award of the best Youngster in the EPL last year.

Pato: One Scudetto, One Confed. Cup... that's it?

One year difference doesn't mean anything in that age.

Go check how Messi and Ronaldo played in his age and you will understand.

Also, Pato when not nijured was a big part of the team, Balotelli was kicked out from the team that won treble.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm

'Kicked out of the team', yet he celebrated with them :facepalm:
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddy Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:43 pm

sorry what was Balotelli's contribution to all things that Inter won?
almost nothing...

he did what so far absolutely nothing he manage to score and get some caps with Italy thats all.

so comparing Balotelli to Ronaldo and Messi or any Italy Legend is crazy.

he has alot of potential yes i agree he has the higher potential of all Italian players the last 10 years but this not meaning anything.
he needs really alot work to catch players like Messi and Ronaldo and they are alot guys around that have the potential to catch them too.
but the potential to catch them and really catch them is a different story.

what we see here is that soccer media probably in Italy want to create another superstar for marketing reasons etc and the best option is Balotelli.

about u21 because i watched alot games i believe Giovinco was better than Balotelli and without this bad attribute.

maybe he can catch up Ronaldo in media marketing but catch up with Messi in skills is impossible.i can see humans live on Mars more easily than Balotelli become as good as Messi.
eddy
eddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo wrote:'Kicked out of the team', yet he celebrated with them :facepalm:

You have a serious problem with logic and understanding facts.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Balotelli can be as good as he wants to be. He has the POTENTIAL to be an Italian legend. Whether he achieves that is up to Balotelli himself.

As for Messi and Ronaldo, no Balotelli isn't at their level, YET. But he could be. He has the POTENTIAL to be at least as good as Ronaldo, probably not Messi, but as good as Ronaldo or anyone else really.

Their is no hype machine on Balotelli. It is pretty obvious just watching him that he could be the 2nd best player in the world. I don't need journalists or coaches to tell me this, I can see it with my own eyes. I watched Baggio as a teenager and followed his career closely, as well as players like Zidane, Del Piero and so on. I see alot of the same type of talent in Balotelli. I'm not saying he is a direct comparison of Baggio, but I see him with similar type talent in the fact that he can control a game and dominate other players. I see a skill set that he has that can make him a world class SS, and I also see a skill set that can make him a world class CF as well. He can even be a winger or a trequartista if needed. He has an amazing skill set, he can dribble and outrun opponents and beat them one on one, he can score the wonder goals, and he can also use his size and strength to out muscle defenders and score goals with his head or his feet in the air.

Mario Balotelli is the entire package. He has the ability to become the 2nd best player in the world and can become an Azzurri legend. Yes, he does have the ability to break Gigi Riva's record, which is the original topic of this thread. The question is not whether he has the talent to become great, the question is will his attitude and personality restrict him from achieving greatness. That is the question with Balotelli. I really hope that he stays disciplined, because if he does then he has a very good chance of becoming a legend.

I want the best for Mario as I think he can truly become something special. As an Azzurri supporter I hope my wishes come true...

Last edited by juve_gigi on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 pm

juve_gigi wrote:Balotelli can be as good as he wants to be. He has the POTENTIAL to be an Italian legend. Whether he achieves that is up to Balotelli himself.

As for Messi and Ronaldo, no Balotelli isn't at their level, YET. But he could be. He has the POTENTIAL to be at least as good as Ronaldo, probably not Messi, but as good as Ronaldo or anyone else really.

Their is no hype machine on Balotelli. It is pretty obvious just watching him that he could be the 2nd best player in the world. I don't need journalists or coaches to tell me this, I can see it with my own eyes. I watched Baggio as a teenager and followed his career closely, as well as players like Zidane, Del Piero and so on. I see alot of the same type of talent in Balotelli. I'm not saying he is a direct comparison of baggio, but I see him with similar type talent in the fact that he can control a game and dominate other players. I see a skill set that he has that can make him a world class SS, and I also see a skill set that can make him a world class CF as well. He can even be a winger or a trequartista if needed. He has an amazing skill set, he can dribble and outrun opponents and beat them one on one, he can score the wonder goals, and he can also use his size and strength to out muscle defenders and score goals with his head or his feet in the air.

Mario Balotelli is the entire package. He has the ability to become the 2nd best player in the world and can become an Azzurri legend. Yes, he does have the ability to break Gigi Riva's record, which is the original topic of this thread. The question is not whether he has the talent to become great, the question is will his attitude and personality restrcit him from achieving greatness. That is the question with Balotelli. I really hope that he stays disciplined, because if he does then he has a very good chance of becoming great.

I want the best for Mario as I think he can truly become something special. As an Azzurri supporter I hope my wishes come true...

Which I'm basically saying, but ignored and in then we say I compare :facepalm:
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 am

AttacanteBG wrote:
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo wrote:'Kicked out of the team', yet he celebrated with them :facepalm:

You have a serious problem with logic and understanding facts.

I do? Gee... I didn't know someone who was kicked out of the squad was part of the line up and not to mention celebrated with them at the end :coffee:

Last edited by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:01 am

Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo wrote:
juve_gigi wrote:Balotelli can be as good as he wants to be. He has the POTENTIAL to be an Italian legend. Whether he achieves that is up to Balotelli himself.

Their is no hype machine on Balotelli. It is pretty obvious just watching him that he could be the 2nd best player in the world. I don't need journalists or coaches to tell me this, I can see it with my own eyes. I watched Baggio as a teenager and followed his career closely, as well as players like Zidane, Del Piero and so on. I see alot of the same type of talent in Balotelli. I'm not saying he is a direct comparison of baggio, but I see him with similar type talent in the fact that he can control a game and dominate other players. I see a skill set that he has that can make him a world class SS, and I also see a skill set that can make him a world class CF as well. He can even be a winger or a trequartista if needed. He has an amazing skill set, he can dribble and outrun opponents and beat them one on one, he can score the wonder goals, and he can also use his size and strength to out muscle defenders and score goals with his head or his feet in the air.

Mario Balotelli is the entire package. He has the ability to become the 2nd best player in the world and can become an Azzurri legend. Yes, he does have the ability to break Gigi Riva's record, which is the original topic of this thread. The question is not whether he has the talent to become great, the question is will his attitude and personality restrcit him from achieving greatness. That is the question with Balotelli. I really hope that he stays disciplined, because if he does then he has a very good chance of becoming great.

Which I'm basically saying, but ignored and in then we say I compare :facepalm:

Yes, you did say potential, I read your posts...
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:03 am

No no, you misunderstood, basically what you said is completely correct and I agree. What I'm trying to say is, I said that and that Milanista, thinks I'm comparing them instead. I didn't mean you ignored it, he did.
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 am

What is with this Balotelli obsession? I dont understand it... He isnt even that good. These comparisons are hilarious.

Could Balotelli Break Riva's Record?  Hamster
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum