The Lizard King
McAgger
Yuri Yukuv
62 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

The Official Book Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official Book Thread

Post by Firenze Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:50 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Similar thoughts, my hype died down a little in the 2nd half as the novelty of the new POVs and world came off a bit. I liked it more than the original trilogy but less than the stand alone entries. That said I agree it's a very good foundation for the next few books and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Some specific thoughts:

Spoiler:

I'm not too concerned that I didn't love a Little Hatred, since Abercrombie literally already finished the three books in this trilogy and the wait will only be another 10 months. I remember being perplexed by the hype for the series after I first read The Blade Itself, so I'm certain this is going to be great too by the time it's over.

Spoiler:

RealGunner wrote:Do you guys just find any random epic fantasy series and read them?

Nope. I'm pretty picky, spend time looking into a series so much as possible without being spoiled and I also take into accounts recommendations from people I know that have read books. That said, I'm pretty down on reading in general lately as that approach has left me burned on a couple of occasions.

also, was reading some interview with The Witcher author about the upcoming show and at the end he said he thinks Joe ABercrombie is the best fantasy author today. :bow:

Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 am

GRRM has spoiled me so much that i can't get into any other series.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:03 am

GRRM is never finishing the series, so I'll never start it. Guy is lazy AF. His work ethic is trash and he has no respect for his readers. I've read plenty of fantasy authors that have 10x his work ethic and are just as good writers. No excuses..
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 am

No doubt there are many with 10x if not 20x more work ethic but the quality isn't the same imo. He is Tolkien level when it comes to world building.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:44 am

Firenze wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Similar thoughts, my hype died down a little in the 2nd half as the novelty of the new POVs and world came off a bit. I liked it more than the original trilogy but less than the stand alone entries. That said I agree it's a very good foundation for the next few books and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Some specific thoughts:

Spoiler:

I'm not too concerned that I didn't love a Little Hatred, since Abercrombie literally already finished the three books in this trilogy and the wait will only be another 10 months. I remember being perplexed by the hype for the series after I first read The Blade Itself, so I'm certain this is going to be great too by the time it's over.

Spoiler:

also, was reading some interview with The Witcher author about the upcoming show and at the end he said he thinks Joe ABercrombie is the best fantasy author today. :bow:

Spoiler:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:06 am

RealGunner wrote:GRRM has spoiled me so much that i can't get into any other series.
You might want to give The First Law a chance, just be aware that Abercrombie noticeably improves in every book, so the earlier stuff is weaker. It hits a lot of the same notes that GRRM does: low fantasy world, morally ambiguous characters, "subverted expectations" and inverted tropes, etc. I went through a similar post-GRRM hangover and this is one of the few that worked for me.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am

So I've read All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and thought it was pretty good. Its historical fiction set in World War 2 and won the 2014 Pulitzer. I liked it better than The Book Thief which is similar. Netflix is gonna adapt it to a miniseries too.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duronto-Roddur Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:53 am

Books, Yaay Smile. Anyone likes Erich Maria Remarque?

Duronto-Roddur
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:07 am

I am reading this and it's really interesting Proud

The Official Book Thread - Page 12 51-HDh-Uf9lg-L-1
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am

Could never get into Fantasy books, on the hand been reading many Sci-fi books lately.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:50 pm

@Kaladin

https://twitter.com/torbooks/status/1204431511631671296
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQDKEHSeWQ
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:43 pm

So what's everyone been reading lately?

I just finished Jade City by Fonda Lee and was absolutely floored by it. The book is set on an Asian-inspired small island nation where 2 rival clans fight for supremacy of the streets and of Jade, a priced natural resource that enables fighters with enhanced strength and other attributes.

I was expecting to go into a pulpy kung fu saga but it was much more than that. Everything seems to have been thought in detail, the worldbuilding is excellent, from international espionage considerations to the very lowest level of clan life in the mom & pop businesses that they 'protect'.

The characters all have their own voice and flaws, and each is interesting in their own right. Even the villains start off as a bit 2 dimensional that but once their full intent is revealed I kinda found myself agreeing with them, and neither clan has a clear moral high-ground. The fact that there are so many well drawn characters means none of them feel safe, and I was genuinely at the edge of my seat throughout the higher stake scenes.

The book is fantasy, but very low level. While Jade is prominent throughout, the book is mostly about the conflicts and interactions between clans and within family members. Jade is used mostly to create a lived-in world and drive conflict rather than resolve it. It's also set in the current time which was a nice change of pace for the genre.

The book is the first of 3 (I think) but it's self contained. It starts off a bit slow but by about 1/3 of the way in it had gripped me.

Great quarantine read, definitely recommend.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:09 am

I haven't read any books in a while. It's weird. I usually go through phases where I'll read a ton followed by periods where I'll read nothing. Book-wise, that is. I always read a lot of short and long articles.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 am

Currently going through Orwell collection (i know i know)

Animal farm atm
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:18 am

venture into David Foster Wallace next RG, you don't have to compel yourself to read Infinite Jest, just get to know him as an author, thinker and person.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:35 am

RealGunner wrote:Currently going through Orwell collection (i know i know)

Animal farm atm

There is no experience like reading a Orwell book, it makes you think infinitely. It is also like being connected to a like minded person.

“The best books are those that tell you what you know already.” It is one of the more low key quotes from 1984, but a brilliant one.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:51 am

^yea my Orwellian phase was also a big, big inspiration as i grew with my writing

a true Genius
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Going through Huxley. Finished Brave New World, reading Island now, next is Doors Of Perception.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:47 am

I'm re-reading Picture of Dorian Gray in Polish. My first read was in English.

After that I'm eyeing up 'War and Peace' by Tolstoy

Do you guys read books in your native language or English?
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:36 pm

I'm reading English books always in English these days, other languages I have to read translations.
Most contemporary English language literature is rather easy to read from a point of language. It gets difficult and exhausting once you go back in time, to the 19th century for example.
Which is why most English books I read are contemporary lol.

Just finished "My year of rest and relaxation" by Ottessa Moshdegh. Amazing book, really, really very good.
I recommend it highly, not for the faint of heart but ultimately not quite as cruel as it's to be feared at first.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 pm

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

The Way of Kings by Sanderson is free for the next day. ES and j have hyped this series before to no end. If it sounds like something you might enjoy I would recommend you guys to download it so you can always read it when you want.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue May 19, 2020 6:19 am

Libraries will open may 25th. I'll buy many famous books that are considered as must read. Feel free to suggest

I remember, long ago, some poster here, can't remember who, told me he had read The Three Kingdoms before. Apparently it's extremely long book with thousands of people but thankfully i already know all the important characters. The way it's written is it challenging to read like many classics or it's straightforward and clear as in Art of War ?
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Normal People is really good. Wasn't a big fan of the author's first novel (Conversations With Friends) but this was more my type. I don't think I ever rooted for two people to end up together and be happy more in any other book.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun May 24, 2020 11:01 pm

M99 wrote:Normal People is really good. Wasn't a big fan of the author's first novel (Conversations With Friends) but this was more my type. I don't think I ever rooted for two people to end up together and be happy more in any other book.

Why didn't you like the first one?
I'm not sure which I like better, Normal People is a more gentle coming-of-age story, maybe less arty despite the slightly mannerist thing with the time stuff in the chapters ("3 days later", "15 minutes later" etc)
But I thought the first one, in its laconic, dry tone, was very good too. Harsher. Both hit pretty close to home tbh.

Funnily, Normal People strikes me almost like a real girly Romance novel, but with ALL aspects of what determines love involved -class, money, psychoanalysis, depression, violence, miscommunication

I loved that sentence where he is quasi sexually assaulted by his old high school teacher and she says "oh you're so hard" which strikes him as thoroughly absurd as he isn't at all Laughing

Last edited by Hapless_Hans on Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun May 24, 2020 11:10 pm

btw, while we're on the topic of books being turned into TV series

think I wrote it before somewhere, but I can only again strongly recommend "The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth.

It's easy to read, it's awesome, subtle, unassuming, beautiful but with a political alternate-history story that is just devastatingly eerie

The series adaptation by David Simon is surely good, looking forward to watching it, but I think you'd miss out on a great reading experience if you don't read the book first without having the fleshed out pictures appropriating your imagination
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next