Has Pique's Level Fallen A Little?

+4
CBarca
windkick
The Franchise
messixaviesta
8 posters

Go down

Has Pique's Level Fallen A Little? Empty Has Pique's Level Fallen A Little?

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I wanted to ask this since yesterday but was not too sure when to begin. Reading some comments from alex in certain threads made me decide this is probably the right time.

Let's recall Gerard Pique of the 2009-10 season. Was that the best he has ever played for us? Since then has his level fallen both in terms of consistency and excellence or at least one of them? I mean there were those times when we used to call C.Ronaldo his bunny for instance. Since then hasn't the equation between them changed at least to some extent?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Has Pique's Level Fallen A Little? Empty Re: Has Pique's Level Fallen A Little?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:29 pm

In terms of pure statistics just to make the debate harder

La Liga 09/10
1.8 tackles per game
1.6 interceptions per game
4.6 clearances per game
0.4 dribbled by other players per game
0.1 blocked shots per game
59 average passes per game
86.9% pass completion
6.4 accurate long balls per game

La Liga 2011/2012
1.8 tackles per game
1.5 interceptions per game
2.1 clearances per game
0.4 dribbled by other players per game
0.5 blocked shots per game
47.6 average passes per game
88.4% pass completion
5.7 accurate long balls per game

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Stats show he playing more or less the same, only he is clearing it less and passing it better.

To be honest, I see the same Pique this season as ever before.

Last season he was up and down,, mostly up for the big games and down for the small ones.

But for me, this season he has been great. Against Madrid in the first leg, I believe he won 18 aerial duels...far more than anyone else on either side.

To me, he is doing great.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm

I agree. I think he is "slightly" not to his top level but still amazing. Just having the random off moment here and there when I usually expect him to be perfect
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Since 08-09/09-10 I've seen Pique be more or less the same in terms of how well he is playing.

Pique can be inconsistent in his games, individually, but IMO he's always been consistent throughout the whole season with how he played and for the most part has been as good as he has been since Guardiola took over. I don't even remember any cold or hot streaks, he just occasionally will have a great or bad game. Occasionally.

I think he's pretty much stayed the same. And as pointed out, the stats seem to favor that opinion, if stats mattered.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:07 am

The Franchise wrote:Stats show he playing more or less the same, only he is clearing it less and passing it better.

Last season he was up and down,, mostly up for the big games and down for the small ones.

But for me, this season he has been great. Against Madrid in the first leg, I believe he won 18 aerial duels...far more than anyone else on either side.

I dont agree wholly.I think he has stepped up in the big games but has been far too inconsistent.
A CB having a great season doesnt go 6 consecutive games with a yellow cards and I remember even you were frustrated with his form earlier in the season.
Thats not my main problem with him at all.
The main problem is his passing.I think he considers himself a far better passer than he actually is.Too often he will take plenty of time on the ball, not go for the simple pass to Busquets or Xavi,go for the crossfield ball and invariably it goes out of play.
I think if he sticks to basics,concentrates,plays the simple passes he is a terrific CB.
But if he goes around thinking he is Beckenbauer(he is not even close) he starts playing poorly.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:32 am

I agree with alex. I don't support barca obviously but when I do watch them play Pique spends too much time on the ball and always goes for the holywood ball
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:04 am

Anybody else get the feeling he thinks he's untouchable in the squad?

I don't know might just be me.
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:32 am

Question, when did he start dating Shakira? Its gotta tire the legs sometime Loool! I think hes not been as good as b4 I agree, at that time, no bdoubt he was the best CB in the world, but atm, I cant really say that taking form into account. But ability wise, his ball playing, pace, game reading, physical presence for the team is still top, so I always forgive his occasional drop in form...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I think he has become a little inconsistent compared to how brilliant he used to be in the 2009-10 season.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:33 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Question, when did he start dating Shakira? Its gotta tire the legs sometime Loool! I think hes not been as good as b4 I agree, at that time, no bdoubt he was the best CB in the world, but atm, I cant really say that taking form into account. But ability wise, his ball playing, pace, game reading, physical presence for the team is still top, so I always forgive his occasional drop in form...

He's lost pace for sure, he used to barely keep up with CR which isn't easy.
And I still think he's overrated as a ball player.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Oh my god, what crap.

He goes for hollywood ball too much but his passing is at 88%....overrated as a ball player smh

He lost pace.....like wow.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:48 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Stats show he playing more or less the same, only he is clearing it less and passing it better.

I dont agree wholly.I think he has stepped up in the big games but has been far too inconsistent.
A CB having a great season doesnt go 6 consecutive games with a yellow cards and I remember even you were frustrated with his form earlier in the season.
Thats not my main problem with him at all.
The main problem is his passing.I think he considers himself a far better passer than he actually is.Too often he will take plenty of time on the ball, not go for the simple pass to Busquets or Xavi,go for the crossfield ball and invariably it goes out of play.
I think if he sticks to basics,concentrates,plays the simple passes he is a terrific CB.
But if he goes around thinking he is Beckenbauer(he is not even close) he starts playing poorly.

I think I was annoyed with his 6 yellow cards, but Alex, most of them were talking. Also, he gets called for the most stupid fouls which arent fouls. They call them because of his persona.

I understand your passing point, but look at the %. For all those difficult balls he plays, they are very high.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:
BarcaLearning wrote:Question, when did he start dating Shakira? Its gotta tire the legs sometime Loool! I think hes not been as good as b4 I agree, at that time, no bdoubt he was the best CB in the world, but atm, I cant really say that taking form into account. But ability wise, his ball playing, pace, game reading, physical presence for the team is still top, so I always forgive his occasional drop in form...

He's lost pace for sure, he used to barely keep up with CR which isn't easy.
And I still think he's overrated as a ball player.

So which CB's today in the world are as good as him or better?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down