Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

+21
The_ItalianFool
Pedram
KMD
The Franchise
aford92
DuringTheWar
LeSwagg James
Error
Art Morte
billionmillion
VanDeezNuts
CBarca
Seth
VivaStPauli
FennecFox7
Mr Nick09
Lord Awesome
rwo power
stunt
Swanhends
BarrileteCosmico
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one? Empty Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 am

And by extension, is the fact that individual awards go predominantly to attacking players justified?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one? Empty Re: Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

Post by Swanhends Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 am

define "talent"

I think playing defense is definitely more difficult than attacking...not sure it requires "more talent" though
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one? Empty Re: Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 am

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:define "talent"
I don't think there is a universal definition. Like beauty, the definition of talent depends on each person, at least here.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:51 am

Short answer, yes.

Correct answer? No. Both require equal amounts of (diferent) talents, but due to various circunstances the most talented players are almost always the offensive ones.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 am

I'd say you need the same amount of talent, but in slightly different fields. The drawback for the defenders is that scoring goals is much more celebrated than preventing goals.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 am

Everyone seems to confuse "Talent" with Technique these days.

Anyway, my answer's no. Would you consider Muller or Chicharito "talented"?
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:03 am

It requires more skill to be a defender, more talent to be an attacker Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 am

Hmm i try to look at talent as the array of skills a single player possesses, and how much they excel at those, but also the football brain which goes unnoticed.

People say that talent creates magic, and often links it to technique but i think a wonderfully well timed tackle can be just as beautiful, or a ridiculously placed header from a difficult angle.

It's the combination that makes it worth it, because there are a lot of technically gifted players out there who have 0 football brain. They are not talented, just gifted in technique.

So to answer the OP, I think it does require more talent to be a quality attacking player. I think the process of creation requires brain power, creating a situation out of nothing. I have a lot of respect for defenders, but it's harder to construct than to break something apart.

As for awards, it's a bit unfair to have a single ballon d'or imo, maybe it would be fairer to reward the best GK, the best DF, the best MF and the best FW.

Last edited by Mr Nick09 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:07 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:Hmm i try to look at talent as the array of skills a single player possesses, and how much they excel at those, but also the football which goes unnoticed.

People say that talent creates magic, and often links it to technique but i think a wonderfully well timed tackle can be just as beautiful, or a ridiculously placed header from a difficult angle.

It's the combination that makes it worth it, because there are a lot of technically gifted players out there who have 0 football brain. They are not talented, just gifted in technique.

So to answer the OP, I think it does require more talent to be a quality attacking player. I think the process of creation requires brain power, creating a situation out of nothing. I have a lot of respect for defenders, but it's harder to construct than to break something apart.

As for awards, it's a bit unfair to have a single ballon d'or imo, maybe it would be fairer to reward the best GK, the best DF, the best MF and the best FW.

Agree with this
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:12 am

No and no.

Defenders need talent in the departments of anticipation, decision-making and technique off the ball, attackers need talent in vision, passing, shooting and generally technique on the ball.

Both become more complete when they have a few of their opposite's attributes as well. But I actually think it's pretty even.

So in conclusion: no, in no way, shape, or form is it justified that defenders constantly get overlooked when the Ballon d'Or is being handed out.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Seth Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am

IMO, both defensive players and offensive players require talents, but in different area.

It just that, goal scoring >>> goal preventing, and it's easier to show off attacking talent compared to defensive talent. Not to mention (more often than not) you win the game by scoring a goal, not by preventing a goal.

How often can you say an attacker carries the whole team? Compare that to how often you can say when a defender carries his whole team. It's probably easier to say that an attacker can carry his whole team as often a game can be decided on a single moment of brilliance from a player to score a goal, but it takes a massive effort from the whole team to perform a defensive masterclass.

People often underline the contributions of defenders. Summed nicely by a quote from Maldini himself

"defenders generally receive so much less attention from fans and the media than goalscorers. We are more in the engine room rather than taking the glory."

Seth
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 am

Midfielders >>>

Very Happy

I would contribute but everything I would say has been said.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 am

attackers require more technical skill defenders require more tactical skill/decision making

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:As for awards, it's a bit unfair to have a single ballon d'or imo, maybe it would be fairer to reward the best GK, the best DF, the best MF and the best FW.
That's my saying for ages!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 am

In childhood years whoever is better player plays in attack. pepe considered a good defender. what skills he has? tactics, offside traps, tackles you can learn in the university. when it comes to the field attackers>>>all

but ballon dor system sucks. uefa system is better, they need to give awards for best defender and the best gk
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:55 am

billionmillion wrote:In childhood years whoever is better player plays in attack. pepe considered a good defender. what skills he has? tactics, offside traps, tackles you can learn in the university. when it comes to the field attackers>>>all

That explains a lot about your NT though. :coffee:
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
billionmillion wrote:In childhood years whoever is better player plays in attack. pepe considered a good defender. what skills he has? tactics, offside traps, tackles you can learn in the university. when it comes to the field attackers>>>all

That explains a lot about your NT though. :coffee:
it explains that in south america theres no an untalented player to play in defence
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 am

billionmillion wrote:it explains that in south america theres no an untalented player to play in defence

I don't understand that sentence.

But here (and in Italy) defenders (and goal keepers) are taken seriously, hence there's good ones. And there's defenders who have very good technique.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 am

Maybe attacking requires more "physical" or technical talent on the ball.

Whereas defending might require more "mental" talent, it's more about being clever enough to read the game, cover the right areas at the right time.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Error Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

Art Morte wrote:Maybe attacking requires more "physical" or technical talent on the ball.

Whereas defending might require more "mental" talent, it's more about being clever enough to read the game, cover the right areas at the right time.
Pretty much this. Defending requires 90 minutes concentration while it's enough for offensive player to produce magic (tricks/dribbling/shooting/passing etc.) for 0-30 seconds.

Also, nowadays I would say that defending has become harder than attacking because of divers and stricter referees.
Error
Error
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

Error wrote:
Art Morte wrote:Maybe attacking requires more "physical" or technical talent on the ball.

Pretty much this. Defending requires 90 minutes concentration while it's enough for offensive player to produce magic (tricks/dribbling/shooting/passing etc.) for 0-30 seconds.

Also, nowadays I would say that defending has become harder than attacking because of divers and stricter referees.
Signed, too.

It is a pity that defenders (and goalkeepers) rarely get the attention they deserve. An attacker can be asleep for 89 minutes of a match. If he scores then, he is a hero. A defender/GK can defend perfectly for 89 minutes, if he has a blackout for 10 seconds, he is the loser.

So for me GKs and defenders are the real heroes of the game as they have to have far more courage to play in their positions than either midfielders or strikers, where one or the other mistake can be easily ignored. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 am

but ballon dor system sucks. uefa system is better, they need to give awards for best defender and the best gk

This..

Attack > Defenders
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 am

Hm... If Attackers >> Defenders, then I wonder why there are tons of good attackers, but only a handful of really good defenders. So it can't be that easy after all. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 am

rwo power wrote:Hm... If Attackers >> Defenders, then I wonder why there are tons of good attackers, but only a handful of really good defenders. So it can't be that easy after all. ^^

I'm talking about talent.. Dribbling past multiple defenders and scoring for example requires more talent than a slide tackle :coffee:
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 am

Swagg_Johnson wrote:I'm talking about talent.. Dribbling past multiple defenders and scoring for example requires more talent than a slide tackle :coffee:
Nowadays defenders should better avoid stuff like slide tackles as that ends way too easily in a booking. So they should better work via immaculate positioning and trying to block the passways and the spaces where attackers can run into - and that needs a much higher game intelligence than just having the talent to dribble along. Moreover, attackers have numerous chances to do their work, while for a defender each and every challenge is crucial. So IMO defenders >> attackers Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next