Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

+21
The_ItalianFool
Pedram
KMD
The Franchise
aford92
DuringTheWar
LeSwagg James
Error
Art Morte
billionmillion
VanDeezNuts
CBarca
Seth
VivaStPauli
FennecFox7
Mr Nick09
Lord Awesome
rwo power
stunt
Swanhends
BarrileteCosmico
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 am

Swagg_Johnson wrote:I'm talking about talent.. Dribbling past multiple defenders and scoring for example requires more talent than a slide tackle :coffee:
Nowadays defenders should better avoid stuff like slide tackles as that ends way too easily in a booking. So they should better work via immaculate positioning and trying to block the passways and the spaces where attackers can run into - and that needs a much higher game intelligence than just having the talent to dribble along. Moreover, attackers have numerous chances to do their work, while for a defender each and every challenge is crucial. So IMO defenders >> attackers Razz

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does it require more talent to be an attacking player than a defensive one?

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 am

rwo power wrote:
Swagg_Johnson wrote:I'm talking about talent.. Dribbling past multiple defenders and scoring for example requires more talent than a slide tackle :coffee:
Nowadays defenders should better avoid stuff like slide tackles as that ends way too easily in a booking. So they should better work via immaculate positioning and trying to block the passways and the spaces where attackers can run into - and that needs a much higher game intelligence than just having the talent to dribble along. Moreover, attackers have numerous chances to do their work, while for a defender each and every challenge is crucial. So IMO defenders >> attackers Razz

I guess we have different opinions on talent lol.. I consider what you just said to be more about difficulty, rather than talent
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am

Well, if you put it that way, then you could probably say that an attacking player needs more instinct/talent to get where he wants to, while a defender needs more skill and intelligence to deny goals? But IMO a defender needs talent, too - the talent to position himself and to have a certain match awareness. I'm not sure that isn't a telent as well - albeit a different one.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 am

rwo power wrote:Well, if you put it that way, then you could probably say that an attacking player needs more instinct/talent to get where he wants to, while a defender needs more skill and intelligence to deny goals? But IMO a defender needs talent, too - the talent to position himself and to have a certain match awareness. I'm not sure that isn't a telent as well - albeit a different one.

I see what you're trying to say.. There are defenders with talent though (ball playing CBs, Marcelo etc.) but the art of defending generally I don't think requires much talent, just concentration really

LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

The better attacking players express themselves with the ball. Defending is essentially stopping your opponent from expressing their talent, there is a lot to appreciate about someone who masters the art of defending, but i would just consider it high levels of focus and intelligence rather than talent
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

Swagg_Johnson wrote:I see what you're trying to say.. There are defenders with talent though (ball playing CBs, Marcelo etc.) but the art of defending generally I don't think requires much talent, just concentration really
"Just concentration" would be a bit too little, I think. I mean, you need to be able to cleanly separate the opponent from the ball (and better not separate the opponent from his feet Wink ), or you'd be booked faster than you can put on an innocent face, especially with attackers more and more adding theatrical and dramatical skills to their nonwithstanding talents. ^^

IMO with the evolution of the game itself, you can't just put the best bullies of your team at the back and hope they'll sufficiently intimidate the attackers or else kick them to the ground. The current defenders IMO need quite a set of skills and more than just a little talent, too, to match the attackers of today.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by aford92 Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am

As far as I'm concerned defending is much harder to master. I started off as a striker when I was younger, about 14/15. Played there until I was 17 for my sunday league team. I then left and joined another team and was asked to play CB.

Then I gained a new respect for defenders, it was so hard to master. You have to communicate constantly with your other defenders AND midfielders, you have to stay in line constantly. If a full back goes forward you have to watch the wings as well as the striker you're supposed to be marking. And then you have to master tackling and marking, defensive headers. I think attacking positions are much easier to master.
aford92
aford92
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes and its not that close.

Defending is a team concept, you can be an excellent defensive team without excellent individual defenders. You are not going to be a excellent attacking team without those individuals.

There is a reason lesser teams play defensively, because its easier to get a result than trying to attack.

This is not to say great defenders are talentless, nor that talent isnt important for a defender.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:21 pm

There's no harder position to play than centerback...if you don't know whats going on around you 100% of the time you'll get caught out or be played around in an instant

Put Pique at CF and he'll score some goals
Throw David Villa at CB and be prepared for lulz...

Im not sure I buy the argument that creating is more difficult than destroying either

Its much harder to play without the ball than with it
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Its much harder to play without the ball than with it

Especially when you can't take it.

Plus there's the mistake factor that looms over a Defender mind.

Mistake at the back >>> Mistake upfront (Basically what Blue said)
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 pm

True, but thats because of what kind of players they are.

Villa is 5 8, of course he will get owned.

Put Puyol up front and Ibra at the back, I am pretty sure Ibra will do better.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

The Franchise wrote:True, but thats because of what kind of players they are.

At Air balls or out Muscling smaller players but I wonder how he'll cope with a Dribbler or a Van Nistelrooy. The guy just doesn't move. Laughing
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Nick 09, is right. Talents can be broken down into different categories, but if we take an average of an overall football player, i think more footballers would prefer to play attacking positions.

Correlation with the ballon d'or is that usually best players are from best teams (most often) and best teams are more often attacking. Meaning they win by scoring and not trying to not concede.

But just like Cannavaro won world cup best player award for his defensive skills, any outstanding player is capable of winning it (kahn)
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 pm

thats debatable. personally i think puyol would be a better attacker than ibra defender.

its more than that though, it different skill sets.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm

KMD wrote:Nick 09, is right. Talents can be broken down into different categories, but if we take an average of an overall football player, i think more footballers would prefer to play attacking positions.
Prefer it because it is easier? As mentioned before, strikers can have 89 minute off and score in the remaining minute and they are still fine, while a defender who has just a seconds lapse will be the loser who gave away the match in the worst case.

I think it takes far more guts to decide to become a defender (or goalkeeper) than one of the attackers, so it is understandable that more players would go for the attacking positions.

KMD wrote:Correlation with the ballon d'or is that usually best players are from best teams (most often) and best teams are more often attacking. Meaning they win by scoring and not trying to not concede.
The question is - are they truly better or are they just more visible and their success more countable?

KMD wrote:Correlation with the ballon d'or is that usually best players But just like Cannavaro won world cup best player award for his defensive skills, any outstanding player is capable of winning it (kahn)
Well, defenders/GKs need to be doubly or even triple outstanding to get even half the recognition of the guys who score the goals. It's somewhat unfair, if you ask me!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm

It is smowhat easier, mainly to points that you talk about, less pressure, and you can be off form whiledefenders get the sticks for every goal they are at fault. So yeit is unfair, but given physical attributes if you cant be an attacker due to high competition you will be a defender a dm,fullback or cb. If you watch them play most of defenders lack ball control, some lack shooting or crossing abilities but for attacking player you have to be well rounded.
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:

thats debatable. personally i think puyol would be a better attacker than ibra defender.

its more than that though, it different skill sets.

Depends on the opponant, but for us, no doubt Ibra at the back would be better.

Puyol used to be a striker and he still would have little hope.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:

At Air balls or out Muscling smaller players but I wonder how he'll cope with a Dribbler or a Van Nistelrooy. The guy just doesn't move. Laughing

He would get raped probably.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm

KMD wrote:If you watch them play most of defenders lack ball control, some lack shooting or crossing abilities but for attacking player you have to be well rounded.
Two counter examples (as I observed them most closely recently):
Mario Gomez (ball control? Which ball control?)
Holder Badstuber (ball control - check, passing - check, shooting - check, crossing - check...)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Villa was a bad example because of the height difference, but even so my point stands

Im sure Ibra would do better in the air than Villa, but I think he would absolutely shredded if he went up against a player like Robinho (ironically) for instance...

And not because of his dribbling, necessarily...nothings worse than playing CB and trying to defend a forward who makes runs both laterally and into deep positions
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

i think nobody wants to play in defence, they play there because they didnt have enough skills to play in attack, so they decided to improve their defence skills
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm

billionmillion wrote:i think nobody wants to play in defence, they play there because they didnt have enough skills to play in attack, so they decided to improve their defence skills
I think that depends on the standing defense has in a country. I can't see no Italian players wanting to play in defense, for example.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 pm

rwo power wrote:
billionmillion wrote:i think nobody wants to play in defence, they play there because they didnt have enough skills to play in attack, so they decided to improve their defence skills
I think that depends on the standing defense has in a country. I can't see no Italian players wanting to play in defense, for example.
In italy i dont know but in most countries a player's dream is to score a goal, or to do amazing dribbling or pass. no kid wants to tackle or destroy the play
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Villa was a bad example because of the height difference, but even so my point stands

Im sure Ibra would do better in the air than Villa, but I think he would absolutely shredded if he went up against a player like Robinho (ironically) for instance...

And not because of his dribbling, necessarily...nothings worse than playing CB and trying to defend a forward who makes runs both laterally and into deep positions

Sure, but just the same, the defender going up front will be terrible.

The difference to me is, the team with the striker at the back, they can just drop deep, play defensively, put 3 holding players in front of the back 4 and as a team stand a chance of not getting destroyed. There doesnt have to be a situation where the striker goes 1 v 1 with the attacker at the back.

However, there is nothing you can do about the useless defender up front.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm

A defenders need to be intelligent to read the game and anticipate moves while for forwards technical skills is the priority although forwards also need to be intelligent as much as defenders need to have technical skills to some extent.

Both of them are talent but i consider midfielders the most talented players in football because they need both things to succeed.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Thats 1 for every 10,000 occurences.
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next