What do you think the problem with England is?

+36
Swanhends
RED
free_cat
Arquitecto
donttreadonred
aleumdance
BarcaKizz
chinomaster182
M99
The Messiah
Luca
Great Leader Sprucenuce
BarrileteCosmico
Tifoso Romanista
Abramovich
rwo power
RealGunner
:{Mr.Mustachio!
Jay29
Zealous
Eman
Gil
Adit
Gemini
Eivindo
sbaggio
la bestia negra
jibers
Cookie Monster
Nishankly
MarkForrest17
Yuri Yukuv
Juveman17
Grande_Milano
Die Borussen
Onyx
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What do you think the problem with England is? - Page 3 Empty Re: What do you think the problem with England is?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 am

I can sum up England's problem for you.

The fact that 90% of English believe Glen Johnson (One of very few English players who can beat a man, and maintain possession) is the weak link in their team and ask him to be replaced by Kyle Walker (your typical fast English body builder)

Back to top Go down

What do you think the problem with England is? - Page 3 Empty Re: What do you think the problem with England is?

Post by M99 Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 am

RealGunner wrote:I don't blame Hodgson at all for this tournament. He did the best he could with the limited players he had.

I am sure we had this conversation after the WC10 about England in the previous forum. I remember Capello giving an interview where he said the youngsters need to step up etc.

It's that all over again. The problem isn't england don't have players that can play football. The problem is when you don't coach them in the right way. There will be a lot of midfielders in every single club who would love to play the barcelona way but they can't because the club's philosophy is completely different. Look at West brom for example. George Thorne is a player who can really pick a pass, but he will be turned into another james Morrison in few years.

On the contrary when Ferguson saw the potential in Scholes, he worked on him and made him into a world class CM. Wenger is doing the same with Wilshere atm.

But the good news is that the FA are eager to change all this. There have been changes made into the Under 21 Level and the Youth Football in the League with change of Rules. Also the fact PL teams are interested in sending youngsters to the Next Gen Tournament. Perhaps its a good start.

Stop living in the past, Liverpool ain't Top 4 What do you think the problem with England is? - Page 3 Le_210
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 am

There is no problem with England, they lived up to expectations going as far as usual. They do pretty much as they should considering their experience, wealth and population size.

chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Cleverley and Wilshere will hopefully be in the team when they return.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem of England is the lack of English kids playing football in the streets/parks/whatever for fun, relative to other countries.

I said this once and Nick laughed his arse off and responded with Englands weather is as good as Spains

What do you think the problem with England is? - Page 3 Smiley-rofl
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Why is there an assumption there is a problem? They did well this tournament considering expectations.

They looked organised and they looked a team (first time I've ever seen that). Every England pundit I see keeps banging on: "Aaargh why didn't we have a go? Just have a goooo lads"... They were having a go... they just suck... deal with it.

No, they don't suck, but they're clearly inferior to all the teams left in the tournament so they got as far as they should have. End of story.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Abramovich wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem of England is the lack of English kids playing football in the streets/parks/whatever for fun, relative to other countries.
I said this once and Nick laughed his arse off and responded with Englands weather is as good as Spains
Hm. The German weather is not that different from the English weather most of the time *looks out of the window where rain is pouring right now*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I don't think it's a matter of weather but of availability of spaces to do it? Or maybe just a cultural thing.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

29 - Of the 29 crosses delivered by Ashley Young and James Milner at Euro 2012, only three reached a team-mate. Disjointed.

15 - England made only 15 passes in 15 minutes in the second period of extra-time last night. Frugal.

2.75 - England managed only 2.75 shots on target per game in Euro 2012; only Ukraine, Greece & Republic of Ireland produced fewer. Reticent.

1 - England have now won only one of eight penalty shootouts they've taken part in (v Spain in Euro 96). Update.

19 - Joe Hart has now made more saves than any other goalkeeper at Euro 2012. Besieged.

33 - Glen Johnson (37) was the only England player to have more touches than goalkeeper Joe Hart in the first half. Hemmed.

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm

england does better than expected and play with tactics

people say they have problem
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 pm

I think people have high expectations for England because they're in the elite pool of teams that have a world cup title. But people should remember that it was undeserved and stolen from the Germans, so they shouldn't include them with this group What do you think the problem with England is? - Page 3 Trolldolski
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm

There is no problem. They were simply not the better team. Honestly, they were lucky to get to a penalty shoot-out with an obviously superior Italy squad.

If there is a problem with England, it's in the depressing (if effective) tactics. Here's a hint:
"I don't regard possession statics as important. It doesn't tell you which is a good team and which is bad." - Roy Hodgson as quoted by Ben Smith of the BBC

Welcome to the English version of Catenaccio.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Just because England lost to Italia now there is a HUGE problem.

There is little to worry about.

The problem actually is in Hodgson. What to challenge this opinion? I'll gladly debate this one.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Arquitecto, if the final is Spain vs. Italy... who are you going with?

I always find a bit "funny" that you support "everyone" and you are always so positive. Would you take a defined side and pest the opposition or you would be supporting both teams as usual? Very Happy

On topic, I don't think they have a problem. They reached 1/4 finals, they could have won on the penalties... you couldn't expect much more of this england team. Boring and hoofballing as hell, but almost every NT is boring and hoofballing as hell.

Last edited by free_cat on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:00 pm

JespSwe wrote:arrogance.. thats the biggest problem with england. especially with English FA, especially with english media.

with media are the biggest big mouth ever, honestly, they butcher everyone who they are playing against thinking they are always miles better than anyone thinking they are going to come out a winner, boasting all the time.

and more arrogant these media and journalist become, the more pressure and expectation they pile on the squad to perform.

unfortunately for england they never admit their own mistake and learn from it, and same thing repeat.

english FA are another biggest loser, they have all kinds of controversy with players, and the coach selection was their biggest mistake. hodgson i like him because he is humble and kind person, but unfortunately i have a feeling that surely he watched that chelsea-bayern game thinking we could play like that and survive the tournament, this wasnt even english like team-performance england didnt even play well in the group stage... france were better ukrain were better..., he was suppose to let the team express in the way they are good at, attacking from the wings, with gerrard making bursting runs in the italian defense as AM like he does at liverpool to provide some attacking threat from middle, gerrard playing soley as DM was just wasted.

i feel sorry for guys like hart, stevie g, who played with their heart. especially joe hart he is hell of a gk...

anyway its the english media arrogance and boasting that always would make me hate english football, and im glad italians won and shoved humble pie in their big mouth and buried them with their own words.

sorry for my fellow posters here who supported england though...

Good post. But...the part I highlighted- It is easier said than done, England didn't have the quality. They are an average team that reached their limit in the tournament. Wingers were poor....extremely poor, and were used more defensively than offensively. Gerrard can't do those lung busting performances he used to do, his legs are gone. He had to play deep, win the ball, pass up field and generally baby sit the truly woeful Scott Parker. Even then he was tired by the 60th min. This England team played to their abilities.

-------------------------------------

RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm

free_cat wrote:Arquitecto, if the final is Spain vs. Italy... who are you going with?

I always find a bit "funny" that you support "everyone" and you are always so positive. Would you take a defined side and pest the opposition or you would be supporting both teams as usual? Very Happy

On topic, I don't think they have a problem. They reached 1/4 finals, they could have won on the penalties... you couldn't expect much more of this england team. Boring and hoofballing as hell, but almost every NT is boring and hoofballing as hell.

lol I don't support 'everyone' Laughing

Truth is there are a lot of mixed feelings. To give you a clearer perspective, I was born in Espana but grew up in Italia (Brescia) till I was 9-10 and then moved back to Donostia. Since then I've been there (bar a studying session in Madrid). My mother is Italian but father is Basque's. But... he is one of those Basques who hopes for unity and peace within both parties and since then it has rubbed off onto me. As for teams, I grew up watching Italia yet through my father persistence I also used to watch Espana with him although not as much passion since we always were shit.

If its Italia-Espana? Don't know, although I'm hinting my heart would say Italia as despite my love for the spanish flag, I do hold some resentment to the Spanish government and monarchy as a whole due to reason you would know.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm

I just think a lot of English fans are disappointed with such a big footballing country we have to resort to playing like Greece ( no offense to any Greeks)

I mean we were dominated in general play by Ukraine and we cannot keep the ball, its not just about the end result its in the way we play.

It's a shock when we make more than 5 passes in a row without losing it.

I dont ask to be Spain, i would just like to see a team that can hold on to possession for more than 10 seconds.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
free_cat wrote:Arquitecto, if the final is Spain vs. Italy... who are you going with?

Truth is there are a lot of mixed feelings. To give you a clearer perspective, I was born in Espana but grew up in Italia (Brescia) till I was 9-10 and then moved back to Donostia. Since then I've been there (bar a studying session in Madrid). My mother is Italian but father is Basque's. But... he is one of those Basques who hopes for unity and peace within both parties and since then it has rubbed off onto me. As for teams, I grew up watching Italia yet through my father persistence I also used to watch Espana with him although not as much passion since we always were shit.

If its Italia-Espana? Don't know, although I'm hinting my heart would say Italia as despite my love for the spanish flag, I do hold some resentment to the Spanish government and monarchy as a whole due to reason you would know.

You gotta admit you support almost everyone. Very Happy

Milan, Liverpool, Italia, España (how come yout keyboards don't have the Ñ), Basque national team, Real Sociedad, Athletic... and you are never against any of these teams even when they face each other. Very Happy
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 pm

free_cat wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

You gotta admit you support almost everyone. Very Happy

Milan, Liverpool, Italia, España (how come yout keyboards don't have the Ñ), Basque national team, Real Sociedad, Athletic... and you are never against any of these teams even when they face each other. Very Happy

Milan Liverpool are my only clubs.

The Basque clubs are simply for the good of Basque country and football itself since I wasn't brought up to support one particular club aside from Milan who were my maternal sides' support. Liverpool started around 2001 when the EPL was being broadcasting by telecinco in espana. Coming back to Basque clubs, my paternal side is all sociedad but I wasn't raised in that environment enough to support one but only support Basque futbol as a whole.

As for not having Ñ, thats only in my laptob as I'm only using my phone mostly for posting.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I am going to write a long, awesome piece on that Dinasour Hodgson.

Be excited when it is published.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm

It's Hodgson's fault because he called up too many Liverpool players imo.

Spoiler:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Hodgson? he took us further than most of us thought.....

There's much deeper issues than Roy Hodgson with the England national team.

You should forgive him, he has forgiven you by picking half of the Liverpool team :coffee:

In any case...... Woy >>>>>>>>> Dogleash
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Funnily, those LFC players were among top-performing England players in Euros.

My Hodgson piece is coming out soon. Roy, will be slaughtered

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Schweini wrote:Funnily, those LFC players were among top-performing England players in Euros.

My Hodgson piece is coming out soon. Roy, will be slaughtered

Im looking forward to it.The suspense is killing me :coffee: .
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

rwo power wrote:
Abramovich wrote:
Hm. The German weather is not that different from the English weather most of the time *looks out of the window where rain is pouring right now*

I've never stepped foot in Germany aside from airports, but I've been Austria a few times and the weather >>>>>>> ours Sad.

Thats close enough to Germany right tongue

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think it's a matter of weather but of availability of spaces to do it? Or maybe just a cultural thing.

Bit of both I said, can't play in snow and soggy rain especially when the pitches are shite too. I played 11 aside til around 16 or so when them soggy days the ball just sticks to the floor, so you have to hoof silent .

Culture wise too, I posted it in the Madrid thread in the old forums how boozing binge drinking, looking for gash culture etc doesn't help yet those who shall not be named stated banana. I think I read an article about as a society we are getting fatter and lazier following the trends of America, not too long ago Sad.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Zealous wrote:It's Hodgson's fault because he called up too many Liverpool players imo.

:coffee:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next