Donuts
Art Morte
Onyx
Casciavit
15 posters

Go down

David Beckham Time in MLS Empty David Beckham Time in MLS

Post by Casciavit Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Back in January 11 2007 David Beckham announced he would be moving to L.A Galaxy to play his trade in the MLS. Some were surprised but his main reason of going to America was this:

I'm coming there not to be a superstar. I'm coming there to be part of the team, to work hard and to hopefully win things. With me, it's about football. I'm coming there to make a difference. I'm coming there to play football ... I'm not saying me coming over to the States is going to make soccer the biggest sport in America. That would be difficult to achieve. Baseball, basketball, American football, they've been around. But I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think I could make a difference.

Sep 4 2012 5 years later do you think hes made the sport bigger and more popular. I think he did what about you guys.

Last edited by Casciavit on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

David Beckham Time in MLS Empty Re: David Beckham Time in MLS

Post by Onyx Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Others are following him and it's certainly improving.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm

I think Beckham and LA Galaxy have been a perfect fit and he can be proud of his career there.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Others are joining because they see a lot of money and USA has more entertainment then the Chinese (in area)
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Most Americans didn't even know that the MLS even existed until he came over here. He definitely has made the sport more popular.

Since Beckham arrived its been the only time that the US has seemed to have a last interest in the sport. I can think of three different occasions where there stints of popularity but it only quickly died out after that

-The late 70's early 80's when Pele played with the New York Cosmos. They were a super popular team back in the day, but as soon as Pele retired the league died out and its popularity with it.

-1994 when America hosted the WC. It started a lot of interest and the MLS actually came from it and there was just enough popularity to keep the sport and a few teams alive

-2002 when America beat Mexico and went farther in the WC than they ever had before. Ratings and attendance of the MLS after that period went way way up. But after a year or so because of lack of star power, lack of competitiveness and low quality in the product it dropped back down again.

But since 2007 when he arrived here, the MLS has gotten more consistently popular every single year. Numbers and attendance continue to grow regardless of the WC. I think there has been something crazy like 5 or 6 expansion teams have been added since he arrived with a 20th team coming with in the next 2 years. Most likely the Cosmos or a Florida team. Not only have there been more teams but the teams are a lot better now then they were back then. The league is more competitive with teams that actually perform year in and year out. you can predict who is going to be good and who isn't before the season really starts, where as before it was just a crap shoot, random teams won and there was no real competitive nature to it.

Now a lot of teams have their own stadiums and more importantly almost all the teams play on legitimate football fields, not American football fields with lines going through the pitch like before. It was like a joke it was like watching kids play in the back of a highschool or something.

He has done SO much for the sport in america its crazy, and I think what he did will continue even after he retires, and the league wont' collapse like it did back when pele retired. It still has a long way to go but there have been so many strides since his arrive towards the MLS becoming a legitimite recognizable league.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 pm

+1
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 am

the mls cup final will be his last game with la galaxy.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Didn't really make much of an impact for the Galaxy until last season, but for the league and state of the sport here on a whole, he has been simply instrumental. MLS wouldn't have landed Henry, Nesta, Keane, Frings, without Beckham simply put.

That said, I think MLS will continue to get on fine without him in the spotlight. He's shown that this league isn't the retirement home that many people called it. If it had been, he'd have won 5 titles instead of 1. I think it's that challenge that will draw more stars and as the league gets better and better, the stars coming over will eventually get younger and younger.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Based on the numbers and statistics I've seen around, I'd say he certainly achieved what he set out to do. Can he do it for the A-League hmm
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Without Beckham the MLS wouldn't have been able to get former star players who are close to retiring to join the league.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 pm

All I know when Beckham came to Toronto the stadium was full of girls. Thank you David. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:45 pm

1 small pet-peeve of mine: It's just "MLS", not "the MLS." You don't say "the Major League Soccer."
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

RedOranje wrote:1 small pet-peeve of mine: It's just "MLS", not "the MLS." You don't say "the Major League Soccer."

Fixed.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 pm

the name of the league inherently makes little since in the first place.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:the name of the league inherently makes little since in the first place.

Right, a soccer league in the US using the same type of nomenclature as all of the other major US sports leagues makes little since [sic]. Rolling Eyes
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Wasn't Becks thinking of buying a MLS club a year ago?
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35 am

RedOranje wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:the name of the league inherently makes little since in the first place.

Right, a soccer league in the US using the same type of nomenclature as all of the other major US sports leagues makes little since [sic]. Rolling Eyes

having it pair with the rest of us sports makes it make sense?

nice logic.

hey we all dont make sense but sense we all dont make sense, we make sense.. Thumbs up

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 am

Nothing makes sense outside of the context where it's originally encountered. A major sports league that's very young following a century old naming system in a nation where people recognize the sports leagues based on said nomenclature makes perfect sense, really.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't fit within the context of the culture.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 am

He didn't accomplish what everyone hoped he would back in the day, i remember analysts predicting MLS would become a new super league.

And i don't know too much about what went on in his stint over here, but my kneejerk reaction is that he did exactly what he said he wouldn't do. He became a superstar and didn't carry his team to a whole bunch of trophies.

Am i wrong?
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 am

i think he has been a success when you see the growth of the league since his arrival thru expansion and such, not just in America but there are also 3 MLS teams in Canada now as well.

but so long as there is a salary cap in place, MLS will never attract the big stars to come in there prime.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 am

David Beckham Time in MLS A6nDLXeCEAAQ7y7

rofl
EL Patron
EL Patron