jibers
7amood11
guest7
shinigami99
BarrileteCosmico
89 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world - Page 12 Empty Re: Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world

Post by Freeza Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Kind of like how every player from the 80s and 90s are the best ever to people 10-20 years older. There'll always be a generation bias.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world - Page 12 Empty Re: Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world

Post by RealGunner Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Agreed

You'll still get some grandpas calling the likes of Eusebio, Germ Muller, Laudrup etc better than Cristiano lol

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm

no dude... there are left backs that did both attack and DEFEND at elite levels. Come on now. Marcelo can't defend his grandmother making runs on his side.

Fantastic attacking player though... although Roberto Carlos, Lizerazu, Maldini, Nilton Santos, Breitner, Cabrini, etc. were CLEARLY better fullbacks period lol. Heck, in their prime, I rated Abidal a better left back than Marcelo because he locked down his side defensively completely and was smart on the attack. Nobody beat him on his side.

Marcelo is important to the current version of Madrid because our midfield completely lacks creativity on the attack... puts him in his best light since we need him for that. But during the times that he was asked to actually play his role (when Ozil and Di Maria were here), he was awful.

lol.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Average winger played as fullback.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:25 pm

To be the best you need to rock both in defense and in attack, Marcelo only has the latter.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 pm

He certainly is in my opinion. I've seen him play live 3 times now and everytime he was among Madrid's best performers. I loved his Players Tribune article and I envy his hair. One of my favorite players in the game

What a strike.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Myesyats wrote:To be the best you need to rock both in defense and in attack, Marcelo only has the latter.
I agree. He can’t defend for shit.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I've always been of the opinion that he can defend, but he gets caught out of position partly by design and partly because he's not the most aerobic of players. He is expecting the likes of Casemiro and Ramos to cover, which tactically they should be doing.

The goal we conceded for instance, that was more Ramos' fault than Marcelo.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 am

Unique wrote:
Myesyats wrote:To be the best you need to rock both in defense and in attack, Marcelo only has the latter.

He CAN defend but he is most of the time he is too busy dribbling, assisting and scoring on the other end and naturally can't be in 2 places at the same time. Can't waste a player of this quality and talents defending in his own half when he is better than any winger out there when going forward. He's a cheat code.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:39 am

He's looked rather good in 1:1 situations from what I've seen. Tackling is generally good as well. Because he's such an attacking outlet though, his positioning can be suspect when transitioning back to defense, especially if up against a pacy/wily marker that knows how to exploit empty spaces.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
Unique wrote:

He CAN defend but he is most of the time he is too busy dribbling, assisting and scoring on the other end and naturally can't be in 2 places at the same time. Can't waste a player of this quality and talents defending in his own half when he is better than any winger out there when going forward. He's a cheat code.
you lot are giving him a blowy this week but next week when he lets guys run in behind him to score a easy goal you will be on here saying he should retire. rofl rofl
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Unique wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:
Unique wrote: I agree. He can’t defend for shit.

you lot are giving him a blowy this week but next week when he lets guys run in behind him to score a easy goal you will be on here saying he should retire. rofl rofl

no, valkyrja has always been marcelo's biggest defender for quite some time now. we (Especially sportsczy and i) have our "battles" with him on the madrid section with respect to marcelo. in fairness to him, marcelo hasn't messed up to the point where he (valkyrja) just packs his bags and quits the forum like some other chap who we hasn't welcomed us with his presence for probably the whole of 2018, cos there are no excuses for his guys subpar form.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 pm

We will see in the CL final.

All I know is Ashley Young locked down Salah this season, so I expect the same from the Brazilian Ashley Young too IMO or I'll conclude he's the second best after the Englishman.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Nishankly wrote:

A cross field ball like that, my 2nd touch would have easily been a tackle because my first touch done already bubble off my knee or some shit.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Firenze wrote:We will see in the CL final.

All I know is Ashley Young locked down Salah this season, so I expect the same from the Brazilian Ashley Young too IMO or I'll conclude he's the second best after the Englishman.

Are Ashley and Young the same person?
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 pm

He's easily the most gifted and the one with the highest technical ability in this generation.

New age full backs are absolute dire and I can't even recall 5 decent full backs in the game I'd trust, Considering defending astutely is slowly becoming an unimportant part of a full backs resume, I think Marcelo is easily the best full back out there.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Nishankly wrote:

He does this almost everygame. I dont know why this is a news now.

Probably has the best first touch of any player out there.

When real are under pressure they give the ball to Marcelo.

He was our player of season last season and this season probably top 2.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm

if only maldini could see this thread Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Feels like he is a disappearing name from football which is sad since he spent the last decade being one of the best fullbacks around.

I think he should find a new challenge. One last job. There isn't much left for him at Madrid.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:17 pm

He is so over the hill even Serie Zz might be too high intensity for him. He should just retire and join the coaching team. Still the most popular player in the squad
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:19 pm

wtf

still only 31?

he should definitely join Milan on a 5 year contract
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Yea Serie A would be great for him at this stage of his career.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:23 pm

He turns 32 this May and is a typical Brazilian player turning up overweight every summer. If he'd had Ronaldo's drive maybe he could've stayed but he doesn't take care of his body. I want him to retire a RM legend like Zidane did not like Raul. Real Madrid should be his last club. Maybe ZZ can fins him another position, perhaps on the RW where everyone is game
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I would still keep him as a backup to Mendy. He's a horror show defensively, but if you're going all in for a goal in the dying minutes of the game and you're looking to give the team that extra push, Marcelo can offer you that.

I lost count how many times his crosses gave us the winner. Of course we still had Ronaldo at the time, but still.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun May 29, 2022 10:38 pm

Walking out through the front door unlike some of our other legends. Getting all the love he deserves. Gracias Capitan
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next