1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?

5 posters

Go down

1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?   Empty 1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?

Post by MOYLAGH-SHERGAR Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 am

So i believe United's class of 2013 is fantastic....but are they better than the brilliance of '99?

Dwight Yorke - 29 goals
Andy Cole - 24 goals
Ole Gunner Solskjaer - 18 goals
Teddy Sheringham - 5 goals

Robin van Persie - 22 goals
Javier Hernandez - 14 goals
Wayne Rooney - 12 goals
Danny Welbeck - 2 goals

Individually I believe that RVP is the best out of all eight. He works well with Rooney, however, Cole and Yorke appeared to have some sort of telepathic connection. They worked so well together it was incredible. Of course Rooney's work rate is superior to either Cole or Yorke.

Hernandez is a brilliant goal poacher but is he as good as Solskjaer? For me Solskjaer was a more complete player while also being a clinical goal poacher. Who could forget his CL winner against Bayern, his FA cup winner against Liverpool and of course when Steve McClaren told the Norweigen (when coming off the bench in the 80th minute against Nott'm Forest) to defend and he ended up scoring 4 to seal an 8 - 0 victory for United.

Sheringham vs Welbeck - although I'm a fan of Welbeck and he is young, there is no comparison between the two. For me Sheringham had one of the best footballing brains in the game. And although he only scored 5 goals during the '99 season - 2 came in finals. One in the FA Cup against Newcastle and he also assisted Scholes for the other goal. And of course he scored the 90+1 equalizer against Bayern in the CL Final.

So for me the 1999 Strike force was/is superior to the class of 2013. And of course I know one must take into consideration the quality of ball and attack coming from midfield....and there is little doubt that Yorke, Cole and co had a big advantage over the 2013 players, having Beckham, Scholes and keane.

Winner - Yorke-Cole-Sokskjaer-Sheringham

MOYLAGH-SHERGAR
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?   Empty Re: 1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am

Individually speaking, Rooney and RVP are both better than Yorke and Cole.Also, if we take them as striking couples, I would pick Wazza and Robin, due to the fact that York and Cole had better players to give them assists.

Giggsy, Scholsey, Keano and Becks formed a more powerful midfield, due to their brilliant tactical play.Giggs and Beckham were probably the best wingers in the world, better naturally gifted with technical abilities and football intelligence than our current lateral midfielders.I like Carrick and Clevs but Scholes and Keane formed a better midfield partnership.

So, considering this...the strikers we had in 99 had an advantage.

But as you said, Shergar, Sheringham and Solskjaer seemed to be more intelligent on the pitch than Welbeck and Chicharito.Until now, for me they are better than our current young strikers.On the other hand, the point that I made above it is also available for Sheringham and Solskjaer.The overall team chemistry level was higher in 99 than it is now in 2013, fact which makes me believe that our current pair of reserve strikers (Welbs and Chicha) are better naturally gifted but they lack the maturity needed to become a topclass player and sometimes they seem to be not enough opportunists (especially Welbeck).

Stats don't prove anything at the moment, because this season isn't even finished.

My verdict:

In 1999 we won everything and this proves that the striking force was the best in the world without a doubt.In 2013, we have great talented players which still have time to improve their football skills and become more intelligent as a footballer, by gaining a vast experience.I go with the current strike force, because I am the optimistic kind of guy and I believe that our current attack can reach a higher level than our strikers did in 1999.If it is only about this season, let's see if we can win UCL and EPL and after that we can say more precisely.

Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?   Empty Re: 1999 Strike force vs 2013 Strike force...which is better?

Post by RealGunner Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Agree with Vladdy.

I think RVP and Rooney are both better than Yorke and Cole individually but collectively few partnerships in EPL history can claim to be as good as them two were.

I would go with the current one too.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by vizkosity Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 pm

didn't watch MU in 1999, i'm too young for that shit Sad
vizkosity
vizkosity
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by AlinJ92 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Vladdy, you hit the nail on the head. My thoughts exactly on the matter. Great post! Let's also keep in mind that football back in 1999 was quite different from the one today and at that moment the Serie A was considered the strongest league in Europe.
AlinJ92
AlinJ92
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by MOYLAGH-SHERGAR Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Excellent post vladdy.

I did state in my original post that the '99 crop had the back up of a world class midfield.

The current attack over the coming years may become better but based on the current season so far I don't believe they are as good.

@vizkosity....get the '99 treble DVD....the whole CL run was phenomenal and more Smile

MOYLAGH-SHERGAR
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down