Swanhends
The Franchise
FennecFox7
Internal
rsinatra
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are the NT competitions going to get good again?

National teams... Vote_lcap30%National teams... Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 8 ]
National teams... Vote_lcap59%National teams... Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 16 ]
National teams... Vote_lcap11%National teams... Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 27

National teams... Empty National teams...

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 am

Here I am, risking to have my reputation go to -10..

But, last year, the WC was way below expectations. Just plain bad, really. With a few glimpses of quality, the small teams are simply too good defending now.

This year, look at the Copa América... look at Argentina. Not to mention Brazil, Uruguay..

I dont know how the Eurocup will be, perhaps because there are more big teams up here, there'll be a little more competitiveness.. but this...

My friend is saying that the National teams time is over. In modern football, it's getting very complicated to make them play well enough..

What do you guys think?
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

National teams... Empty Re: National teams...

Post by Internal Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:45 am

i mean, yes..?
Internal
Internal
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:46 am

No, I don't think so.
For example, in algeria the NT is EVERYTHING. People are so passionate about it that they wave flags whereever algerian players go. (ex. portsmouth, rangers, napoli, real madrid)
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:46 am

Well generally NT football for me, is quite dry and boring now compared to when I was a kid.

I also have noticed the level isnt as high as club football.

But thats not to say its totally unwatchable and coming to an end, not at all.

Its only friendlies I cant stand to watch, tournaments are fine, some games are so-so, but many still excite and entertain.

Everyone of Germany's, Ghana's, Uruguay, Chile and a few others I think I am forgetting entertained me.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 am

Too early to draw that rash of a conclusion but I do think there is some evidence to suggest that

Some of the mid-level nations no longer have defeatist mentalities, and many have them have learned how to defend (and well) and even those who aren't great at defending (USMNT, for one) run themselves into the ground and make it extremely difficult for the other team (especially when national teams get so little time together to gel)
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:49 am

people complaining because top teams arent crushing the opposition no more?

uh? i thought competitiveness was good.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 am

Oh and I think you missed the point that while these results may signal the "end" of national team football for the people of the traditional football powers, it likely has the opposite effect for the rest of the world.

The fans of Colombia, Bolivia, etc sure as hell don't think National Team football is at its end right now, thats for sure...
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 am

Bro, you missed the entire first half which was quality entertainment and yet make this thread...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 am

there will always be that certain mystique about national teams that will keep us watching.

I think for fans like me, National teams go beyond just good form, high level, low level, top notch football. It also creates subplots, backstories, etc.
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 am

Giggity5313 wrote:No, I don't think so.
For example, in algeria the NT is EVERYTHING. People are so passionate about it that they wave flags whereever algerian players go. (ex. portsmouth, rangers, napoli, real madrid)

we're talking about argentina here, they have the maradona church ffs, i dont think anyone can question how passionate they are about football.. and brazil....

it's not about that... its just that, perhaps, the defensive tactics are too good for a team that only trains a handful of times a year to really break through like a club would..
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 am

The Franchise wrote:Well generally NT football for me, is quite dry and boring now compared to when I was a kid.

I also have noticed the level isnt as high as club football.

But thats not to say its totally unwatchable and coming to an end, not at all.

Its only friendlies I cant stand to watch, tournaments are fine, some games are so-so, but many still excite and entertain.

Everyone of Germany's, Ghana's, Uruguay, Chile and a few others I think I am forgetting entertained me.

Well, definitely, there are some good matches here, there... but in general it's quite poor.

The players in general are at the same level, but the teams dont seem to work as well, and the reason is simple to explain.

I watch Brazil's friendlies, and that's been pretty painful in the past 6 months.

And when I was a kid growing up in the 90's, people already complained about NTs like Brazil not being the same anymore.. even when we wont the WC in 94...

maybe NTs should play 10x10 or 9x9 HAHA
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 am

This is a ridiculous thread.

Just because the two killer-favorites of the Copa have been underperforming, the era of NTs is over? How do you even come to such a conclusion?

Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Bro, you missed the entire first half which was quality entertainment and yet make this thread...

great, gone are the days in which football was judged by the entire 90 minutes.. is 45 minutes enough, really? i know you must be pissed off right now, but im not just talking about tonight... its what ive been seeing since last year's wc..

Catracho wrote:there will always be that certain mystique about national teams that will keep us watching.

I think for fans like me, National teams go beyond just good form, high level, low level, top notch football. It also creates subplots, backstories, etc.

i agree with you, it's the same for me.. the build-up prior to these competitions make it much more exciting than usual club competitions.. but when it comes to it, it's been disappointing nonetheless..
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 am

I for one, enjoyed this game thoroughly. Colomboa wasnt playing hide, they were defending superbly and going forward.

They had argentina looking for their tails, if it means that top NT need more than just putting together a fleet of talented player, im all for it.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 am

Guiltybystander wrote:How do you even come to such a conclusion?
Technically, he didn't, his friend did
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:55 am

Guiltybystander wrote:This is a ridiculous thread.

Just because the two killer-favorites of the Copa have been underperforming, the era of NTs is over? How do you even come to such a conclusion?

some people didn't watch last year's WC i guess..

and btw i havent come to any conclusion, i am asking questions.. read properly
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 am

rsinatra wrote:great, gone are the days in which football was judged by the entire 90 minutes.. is 45 minutes enough, really? i know you must be pissed off right now, but im not just talking about tonight... its what ive been seeing since last year's wc..
What I'm saying is that this feels like a knee-jerk judging a game solely by the 'bad half'. As a whole, I think neutrals enjoyed themselves.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:57 am

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:I for one, enjoyed this game thoroughly. Colomboa wasnt playing hide, they were defending superbly and going forward.

They had argentina looking for their tails, if it means that top NT need more than just putting together a fleet of talented player, im all for it.

contrary to what alfred mustve thought, i didnt think this second half was that bad.. colombia's chances were great, and exciting.. argentina's desperation added to the excitement...

but some years ago, no way argentina would be having this much trouble so early at a copa américa... i think. lol especially with the best player in the world on the pitch..

edit: again, ive come to no conclusions ffs
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 am

rsinatra wrote:

The World Cup wasn't that bad, it was just that some favourites really disappointed. Yet, Germany for example, played some of the most beautiful football I've seen in quite a long time.

NTs will always have that extra layer of national solidarity, heroism, excitement above club football.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 am

no its just that this copa sucks balls
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 am

rsinatra wrote:but some years ago, no way argentina would be having this much trouble so early at a copa américa... i think. lol especially with the best player in the world on the pitch..

Doesn't that mean that the quality of the competition is more competitive and thus superior?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Backspacer Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 am

Guiltybystander wrote:NTs will always have that extra layer of national solidarity, heroism, excitement above club football.
This.

The feeling in my gut when the US scores can't be touched by any other viewing experience.
Backspacer
Backspacer
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 am

Guiltybystander wrote:
rsinatra wrote:

The World Cup wasn't that bad, it was just that some favourites really disappointed. Yet, Germany for example, played some of the most beautiful football I've seen in quite a long time.

NTs will always have that extra layer of national solidarity, heroism, excitement above club football.

it wasnt that some favorites were disappointed, it was that the games in general weren't as exciting..

sure, germany did well, there were moments in the wc that were awesome.. but, again, in general, below expectations...

dont get me wrong, i put the brazilian nt above everything.. i just hope my friend is wrong!
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 am

Guiltybystander wrote:NTs will always have that extra layer of national solidarity, heroism, excitement above club football
National teams... Clash-evra-duverne-a-l-entrainement-des-bleus_55111_8598
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:01 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
rsinatra wrote:but some years ago, no way argentina would be having this much trouble so early at a copa américa... i think. lol especially with the best player in the world on the pitch..

Doesn't that mean that the quality of the competition is more competitive and thus superior?

do you call last year's WC more superior than other WC's you've seen during your life? it's that old saying that when two great teams face each other, you can get pretty bad football..
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next