kiranr
Yuri Yukuv
BarrileteCosmico
16 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The US Economy Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The US Economy Thread

Post by I Have Mono Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:46 am

No we definitely shouldn't allow the country to default on its debt. I understand what raising the debt level does sorry I didn't make that clear.

I just feel considering the circumstances a 400-500 billion deficit per year seems reasonable and do-able and feel that since the last time we raised the debt ceiling congress should have been constantly cutting cost in order to get us there.

I'm mad at both side like you, GOP for threating to let us default on our debts, and the Dems for refusing to cut any money off our debt.

The 2011 budget resolution or whatever you want to call it is complete bullshit 1.2 Trillion over 10 years really, 120 billion, 10% of our national deficit every year. The deal should be about 5x that and we should have been working towards that for the last year, only then would I feel comfortable raising the debt ceiling.

Were caught in a shitty position we have to raise the debt ceiling but at the same time that's just enabling what is currently going on and pushing and even larger national debt onto our generations shoulders(not sure how old you are) but our parents generation of politicians are *bleep* us.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 pm

With the government shutdown, does that mean no taxes will be withheld from check? Wishful thinking I know.

But I'm seeing that everywhere
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:41 pm

FalcaoPunch wrote:With the government shutdown, does that mean no taxes will be withheld from check? Wishful thinking I know.

But I'm seeing that everywhere
No, payroll taxes are automated collections so they will continue

However, IRS telephone support, auditing, and return processing are all halted

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 pm

how come the stock market is up today scratch
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 pm

zizzle wrote:how come the stock  market is up today scratch
Probably because the market thinks the government is less likely/able to hurt the economy if it's shut down Laughing
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Stock markets aren't really part of the government
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 pm

The government is the biggest employer in the U.S. and probably in the world. Those employees are given an unpaid leave so this should reduce the purchasing power of the public and that should kill the stock market. In theory at least. plus think of all the companies that do business with the government, contractors and such, and all the businesses that do business with these companies and so on. It's an economic cycle and the US government is the biggest piece there is.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Swanhends wrote:
zizzle wrote:how come the stock  market is up today scratch
Probably because the market thinks the government is less likely/able to hurt the economy if it's shut down Laughing
Even gold is down ! if i wasnt reading the news id think that it's just a normal day.
But maybe investors are flocking away from the bond market into stocks ? (although i read somewhere that payments on the national debt will still be payed.)
or maybe because the Fed announced today that it will not scale back QE anytime soon...

sometimes i just dont get it
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 pm

people would rather have a completely uneducated opinion then no opinion at all

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 am

I think one of the more interesting things I've learned from this deal is how some states allow the congressmen to draw up their own constituencies. This has the effect that they can build entire constituencies of very conservative people and suffer no backlash at all for holding the government hostage. In fact, it might even promote extremism as they have to cater more to the more conservative sides.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm

janet yellen the GOAT got that nomination on lock banana
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Yellen :bow:

Although apparently 5 seats will become empty next year in the FOMC and if Obama's past appointees are any way to judge him for even having Yellen at the top might do no good.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 am

What are the chances that the debt crisis will return in few months?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Well, that depends on how you define "a few" I guess. The budget crisis will return in January and the debt crisis will probably return in February.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 pm

This is all posturing to get a better deal.  Happened with Bill Clinton, George Bush and now Obama.  There's zero chance of the crisis.  Every real estate deal that i closed, there were negotiations until the last second of the escrow deadlines.  Just how it works with dealmaking these days because you're trying to find out how much backbone the otherside has and squeeze him/her if there's weakness.

The proof that this is all daytime soap opera is that the stock markets in the US barely reacted to the whole thing that past 2 weeks.

Been there, done that.  I don't even pay attention anymore tbh.  Waste of my time.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Except neither of the previous presidents you mentioned had to deal with a fringe party with as much influence as the Tea Party currently has. You're underestimating how their presence has changed the US political landscape.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 pm

It will never happen... trust me on this.  Every politician involved would be committing political suicide if it did.  

And the tea party is a non factor if a deal is struck between republicans and democrats.  They're a minority the republicans need if they want to outright beat the democrats in a vote... not if they need to make a deal.  Since Obama has unilateral veto power over this issue, it has to be a deal.  Even with the tea party votes, the republicans wouldn't have a super majority (2/3 of the votes) in the house, which would be the only way to get around Obama's veto power.  Obviously, if a deal is reached between republicans and democrats, the majority is easily achieved (simple majority is 50% + 1 vote) and there would be no veto.

Zero chance.  None.  It's all political and dealmaking posturing.  The republicans and Obama are negotiating a bill that he would sign off on after it passes the house and senate.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Sigh.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

sportsczy wrote:The proof that this is all daytime soap opera is that the stock markets in the US barely reacted to the whole thing that past 2 weeks.

Been there, done that.  I don't even pay attention anymore tbh.  Waste of my time.
The market barely cares about the gov shutdown and default... yet jumped 1% when it was solved? scratch It's likely the shutdown was already priced into the market before it was officially announced on Oct 1st.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:42 pm

I doubt it.  Look at the market over the past 3 weeks.  On 9/23, the Dow Jones was at 15401.  On 10/14, it was at 15301.  It was basically on standby... nothing positive or negative.  Today, it's at 15297. Beginning of Sept, the Dow wasn't even at 15k.

Maybe the fall uptick slowed slightly as a result of this. But there was no adverse effect to speak of. Nothing....  markets stop reacting to bs at least from the institutional side.  If individuals want to be stupid, they can of course and they often are lol.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/INDU:IND
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Although i agree with RO that the Republican party doesn't wants to piss off the Tea Party extremists.  They need them united in congress obviously.  So they will influence some of the deal points the Republican Party is trying to get through.

I miss the days where most people were centrists even if they were Republican or Democrat.  Seems like there's a lot more pull the the extremes in recent times.  

Obama has disappointed me big time there although i voted for him both times... his fiscal policies are not good.  He's often times populist as opposed to pragmatic. I know a lot of wealthy people who have set up alternate citizenships in case they need to give up the US one for fiscal reasons. You never want wealthy investors to leave your country... only the french think that's a good idea Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Right, it's much better to play to their desires.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:20 pm

sportsczy wrote:I doubt it.  Look at the market over the past 3 weeks.  On 9/23, the Dow Jones was at 15401.  On 10/14, it was at 15301.  It was basically on standby... nothing positive or negative.  Today, it's at 15297.  Beginning of Sept, the Dow wasn't even at 15k.

Maybe the fall uptick slowed slightly as a result of this.  But there was no adverse effect to speak of.  Nothing....  markets stop reacting to bs at least from the institutional side.  If individuals want to be stupid, they can of course and they often are lol.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/INDU:IND
I haven't looked at the data, but I've read that if you look at short term treasury bills they did show an adverse effect. And still, even if you think they didn't care at all, then why would the market jump 1% yesterday? Markets care, but since the shutdown was expected it was not news and thus there was no "reaction".
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm not a short term market speculator.  I have a personal portfolio and there's 1 year, 5 year and 10+ year components to it.  

You're going to get the 1-2% jumps because, even if the risk of something tangible happening from such a manufactured crisis is 0.0000001%, you still don't want to get caught with your pants completely down.  So you invest a bit more in hedge positions (options) to protect yourself from the downside.  These upticks come from institutions moving the additional monies assigned to these hedge strategies back to long positions.

I bet you that the Chicago-based markets made a killing during all this since they handle most of the options trading in the US.

I invested a bit more in options too (more than what is budgeted normally) which are worthless now and will expire.  But hey, it helped me sleep at night and it still helped the US economy since i spent it on the options market.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 pm

RedOranje wrote:Right, it's much better to play to their desires.
 No.  But it's all about debate and compromise in the US.  That's not how things get done.

That's why i love it when congress is controlled by one political party and the white house by another.  Checks and balances.  Neither side can go too extreme.  Sure it's gridlock. But I'd rather government do nothing then something stupid.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next