FennecFox7
AltoZ
FalcaoPunch
Grooverider
lenear1030
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter Empty Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter

Post by lenear1030 Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Sauce: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/17/sepp-blatter-says-qatar-2022-world-cup-should-be-played-in-winter-here-we-go/

Sepp Blatter says Qatar 2022 World Cup should be played in winter, here we go…
Joe Prince-Wright Jul 17, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Leave a comment
FIFA President Sepp Blatter waves to the media during his visit with Jordan's Prince Ali Bin Al Hussain, FIFA Vice President Asia, to the Al Zaatri refugee camp in the Jordanian city of Mafraq
Reuters
It’s been a while since we’ve heard from Sepp Blatter.

And FIFA’s President never disappoints.

Blatter has today reiterated his appeal to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter to avoid the searing summer heat. Temperatures in the tiny emirate state reach an average of 106 degrees in July and August.

But FIFA decided they wanted to have the World Cup there.

In the past Blatter raised massive concerns about whether or not a World Cup should take place in the summer in the Middle Eastern country and those issues have come to the fore once more.

Speaking in Austria earlier today, Blatter aired his views. “If this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can’t play football in the summer. You can cool down the stadiums but you can’t cool down the whole country.”

And Blatter also touched on if they can agree to change the league schedules in pretty much every country across the globe to accommodate a winter World Cup in Qatar. “There is still enough time. I will bring this up to the executive committee.”

You do that, Sepp.

In the original report on Qatar’s bid before they were given the World Cup in 2010, health concerns were raised about them hosting the tournament. But FIFA’s executive committee decided they would give the massive event to Qatar and fancy plans for outside air-conditioned stadiums were waved around triumphantly.

That was then, this is now.

Blatter has never publicly stated if he backed the bid. But with continued comments like this, you have to wonder whether Sepp and the committee are rethinking the decision to host the World Cup there altogether. Qatar has already been in the news this week, with its plans to buy 118 tanks to police the event already causing concern.

(MORE: Qatar set to purchase 118 tanks to prepare for 2022 World Cup)

And if the proposed air-conditioned stadiums don’t work out then there’s a huge problem. It is unsafe for anybody to watch the games and even though the venues may be okay, what about outside?

It has to be in the winter. FIFA knew that when they chose Qatar as the hosts. Surely? But expect this debate to rumble on for many months until a final decision is made.

Safe to say English Premier League, Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga bosses will not be impressed. The huge upheaval of having to change around their whole season will irritate the purists.

But when all is said and done, who can argue with having a World Cup around Christmas time and then the EPL and other European leagues running throughout the summer months? That’s soccer heaven for most people.

I’m with Sepp on this one. The 2022 World Cup in Qatar has to be in the winter. He should have nothing to discuss with FIFA’s executive committee…
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter Empty Re: Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter

Post by Grooverider Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Stupid choice of host country.
Stupid idea.
Stupid Sepp.
Stupid FIFA.
Stupid idea of moving European leagues to accommodate a stupid idea.

Evil or Very Mad 
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter Empty Re: Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Grooverider wrote:Stupid choice of host country.
Stupid idea.
Stupid Sepp.
Stupid FIFA.
Stupid idea of moving European leagues to accommodate a stupid idea.

Evil or Very Mad 

100% spot on
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by AltoZ Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes, that was a terrible choice of host country

But FIFA nailed it with U.S 1994, France 1998, Germany 2006 and even South Africa 2010.
AltoZ
AltoZ
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 pm

russia 2018 :facepalm:

smh why
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All of you doubters are just too butthurt to acknowledge that Qatar will be a great host nation.

If South Africa was considered a good host, Qatar will be out if this world come 2022.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 am

Yeah, Qatar, really enticing tourist destination there :coffee: 

Nothing like rewarding an un-democratic, close minded, and overall wasteland of human rights the flagship tournament of FIFA.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:30 am

Should have just given it to USA. ffs. Would have been great for everyone..
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:35 am

I agree, but this thread is about pointing out how stupid it is that Qatar got the bid in the first place.

Now Blatter wants to keep his bribery money and inconvenience every other club and country in the world by sneaking this in the back door.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:21 pm

I would rather Qatar have it than see a hardworking country lavishly spend money to host a tax-free event that will end up costing more than anything gained.

Look at Brazil, 100's of millions spent on stadia, some of which will go unused because they were awarded to host cities via corruption.

People should be glad that the WC is hosted at all with some of the demands FIFA places on host countries because the NL-BE bid was extremely unpopular over here.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:48 pm

You got a valid point there, lol.

I mean, the WC is a nice enough event for countries like the USA or Germany, which might even end up making money from it (even if it is in the long run, due to increased tourism - Germanys popularity has been rising steadily since 2006) - but it is a huge waste of money for countries like Brazil or South Africa, especially considering some of the cities the big stadiums are built in.

I'm sure Sao Paolo or Rio de Janeiro can always use a 80,000 seat stadium. But do mid-size cities really need them?

In the end, though, if it weren't for corruption, it'd still be a neat deal. Couple million dollars always spill over into the pockets of people who actually worked for the money. I wish they had less of a problem with corruption, this money could all enter the economy through the construction companies. Real pity.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm

7amood11 wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All of you doubters are just too butthurt to acknowledge that Qatar will be a great host nation.

If South Africa was considered a good host, Qatar will be out if this world come 2022.

It's entirely possible that the stadiums and all the amenities are going to be great there, although I doubt that too, but no extent of success will forgive it if they can't find a way around the summer heat LIKE THEY PROMISED IN THEIR BID. If they require a hiatus in the European leagues for the WC, it will be a massive failure on the part of both FIFA and the host country. Players getting fatigued or worse, injured, in the middle of the season which could impact title races, CL spots and relegation races? That season would have the biggest asterisk next to it ever.

If your country doesn't have a viable plan to mitigate its summer weather, it shouldn't bid in the first place.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BORUSSIA!! Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Sounds like a excellent idea.

BORUSSIA!!
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:30 pm

So I guess it's going to be like the AFCON, except pretty much everyone (good) leaves. League scheduling would be a mess lol.

Start season earlier? End later? Cram games within shortened timeframe? At least they have until 2022 to make adjustments...

Sepp wants WC in Qatar 2022 during winter Sepp-Blatter-caused-contr-005
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 pm

Well, in Germany some official said "Well, the FIFA publishes their schedule, then the UEFA publishes their schedule - and we have to cram the league somewhere in between." That guy stated that in that case the league probably has to be played between February and November somewhen.  (Sorry, just read that in a print paper, so no link available).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

It's fun how they went to "don't worry, we'll manage the summer heat" to "a winter WC is an awesome idea" within just 6 months.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:58 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:It's fun how they went to "don't worry, we'll manage the summer heat" to "a winter WC is an awesome idea" within just 6 months.

It's almost as though they promised something impossible in their bid and bribed prominent officials to make them look the other way... almost.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Was always a disastrous choice but hey money talks, am surprised they never gave it to someone like Australia for example.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:00 pm

The only consolation I've got is that 2022 is still quite far away so we don't have to suffer this ridiculousness in action for a while still.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:36 pm

i wonder what GL will be like in 2022 hmm 
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:i wonder what GL will be like in 2022 hmm 

That's a scary thought, don't go there.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 pm

blatter would probably be dead by 2022 , so who cares .

and qatar was a better choice of a country than australia , japan , and US ... all in far away time zones form europe , football's biggest market ..
i don't wanna watch world cup games at 2 am ( usa ) and 8 am ( japan and australia ) .

so what if it's too hot? players need to man up and stop acting like sissies
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
7amood11 wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All of you doubters are just too butthurt to acknowledge that Qatar will be a great host nation.

It's entirely possible that the stadiums and all the amenities are going to be great there, although I doubt that too, but no extent of success will forgive it if they can't find a way around the summer heat LIKE THEY PROMISED IN THEIR BID.  If they require a hiatus in the European leagues for the WC, it will be a massive failure on the part of both FIFA and the host country.  Players getting fatigued or worse, injured, in the middle of the season which could impact title races, CL spots and relegation races?  That season would have the biggest asterisk next to it ever.

If your country doesn't have a viable plan to mitigate its summer weather, it shouldn't bid in the first place.

Yeah I agree tbh. Playing in 40+ degree weather is unbelievably hard

If any arab country was to host the world cup, then morocco, algeria, or even lebanon would be the best bet in terms of temperture and resources

farfan wrote:
so what if it's too hot? players need to man up and stop acting like sissies

And you have no idea what you are talking about smh.

have you ever been in that kind of heat? because trust me it has nothing to do with being a sissy..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Blatter is the only one who wants to hold it in winter, The Qatari have said many times they want it in summr and are ready for it and will only change it to winter if Fifa asks.
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm

[quote="Giggity5313"][quote="stevieg8"]
7amood11 wrote:
And you have no idea what you are talking about smh.

have you ever been in that kind of heat? because trust me it has nothing to do with being a sissy..

of course i have, it's 43 C where i'm at right now .

they're professional athletes ,they should be able to adapt to any environement , not the other way around . just like extreme cold when you're facing a russian team ,or extreme elevation in some south american country ...it's part of the game .

compare that with boxing matches in thailand where world champions defend their belts in open arenas , in extreme heat and humidity , and in a more physically demanding sport than football .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next