Post by FalcaoPunch Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:10

The headlines if he flops tho....

FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Gareth Bale Transfer Saga V.2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Gareth Bale Transfer Saga V.2

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:10

The_Badger wrote:No, I'm saying Bale isn't the global superstar you and other RM fans are desperately trying to paint him as.

You seem to think that because it worked with Ronaldo it'll work with Bale, but you seem to be ignoring the huge differences between the two prior to their arrival at the Bernabeu and the actual situation at the club.

RM will not make their money back on marketing Bale, nor will they make profit on selling should that ever happen.
You're not really giving me reasons why you think so. It's pretty clear Bale is more well known than he's ever been and that will only increase, for better or worse, as time moves on. I'm not trying to paint him as anything he isn't you're the one desperately trying to paint here lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:12

Mr Nick09 wrote:the moment we signed him, he will become of the most talked about athlete anyway. the tag "Bale becomes the most expensive signing of all time" will go everywhere.
I remember when Alan Shearer was the most expensive player, but no one talked about him because he was dull and uninteresting, just like Bale.

I remember when Lentini was, yet he was always overshadowed by other players in the game as too Denilson.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:13

I'm not convinced Bale is the global star Ronaldo was...fact is, he isn't.

I am convinced that Flo knows what he's doing in regards to Bale as a marketable product though, because that's what Flo does best. So I'm assuming Bale is going to become a pretty big character in world football pretty soon if that's what has to be done to make money off of him.

Because let's be honest, Bale isn't going to give you 93 million pounds of footballing brilliance.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:16

The_Badger wrote:No, I'm saying Bale isn't the global superstar you and other RM fans are desperately trying to paint him as.

You seem to think that because it worked with Ronaldo it'll work with Bale, but you seem to be ignoring the huge differences between the two prior to their arrival at the Bernabeu and the actual situation at the club.

RM will not make their money back on marketing Bale, nor will they make profit on selling should that ever happen.
You think? If they sell a million Bale jerseys worldwide for £80, that's already almost all the money. Not to mention that's just one way to make the money back.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:17

The_Badger wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:the moment we signed him, he will become of the most talked about athlete anyway. the tag "Bale becomes the most expensive signing of all time" will go everywhere.
I remember when Alan Shearer was the most expensive player, but no one talked about him because he was dull and uninteresting, just like Bale.
Marketing in football is completely different than what was back then so using Shearer as an example doesn't prove anything

@CSpurs

100% agreed.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:20

CBarca wrote:I'm not convinced Bale is the global star Ronaldo was...fact is, he isn't.

I am convinced that Flo knows what he's doing in regards to Bale as a marketable product though, because that's what Flo does best. So I'm assuming Bale is going to become a pretty big character in world football pretty soon if that's what has to be done to make money off of him.

Because let's be honest, Bale isn't going to give you 93 million pounds of footballing brilliance.
Obviously not on the same level. Ronaldo was already a Ballon d'Or holder before he got to Madrid.

Right now though? Bale is the closest in terms of marketability the Premier League has had since Ronaldo left. His potential in that department is really high. Keep in mind he only really burst unto the scene last season.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:25

Zealous wrote:

You're not really giving me reasons why you think so. It's pretty clear Bale is more well known than he's ever been and that will only increase, for better or worse, as time moves on. I'm not trying to paint him as anything he isn't you're the one desperately trying to paint here lol
He's dull and boring, leads an mundane uninteresting life. He isn't particularly good looking. He isn't dating/married to anyone famous. Has never been part of a team that has won the big prizes at club level. Never played in an international competition nor plays for a national side ever likely to. Never won, or placed in a major world and European individual award. Isn't already the, or one of, the top three, even five recognisable or marketed footballers. He doesn't make the front pages of the daily newspapers as well as the back on a regular basis.

Ronaldo had all these things when he moved to RM. He was arguably the best and most famous footballer around when he transferred to RM, who at the time had no one as big as he was in world football on their books.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:26

Blue Barrett wrote:
CBarca wrote:I'm not convinced Bale is the global star Ronaldo was...fact is, he isn't.

Obviously not on the same level. Ronaldo was already a Ballon d'Or holder before he got to Madrid.

Right now though? Bale is the closest in terms of marketability the Premier League has had since Ronaldo left. His potential in that department is really high. Keep in mind he only really burst unto the scene last season.
And if he, hypothetically, flops at Madrid and disappears, how marketable does that make him?
I'm not saying he will, I'm not even saying I want him to, but if it happens this investment looks poor.
Look at Kaka, Kaka was three times the player Bale is now before his move to Madrid and he was also extremely marketable- didn't work out as planned. Ronaldo, worked out exaclty as planned but he's an absolutely incredible player and showed that prior to his move to Madrid. I'm just not sure we can say the same about Bale last season for Tottenham, but in any case, last season was last season.

Really interested to see how this all plays out

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:28

The_Badger wrote:

I remember when Lentini was, yet he was always overshadowed by other players in the game as too Denilson.

nice parallel between Betis, Newcastle and Real Madrid. We really stand alike
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:29

Blue Barrett wrote:

You think? If they sell a million Bale jerseys worldwide for £80, that's already almost all the money. Not to mention that's just one way to make the money back.
Firstly, They won't sell one million "Bale" jerseys.

Secondly, where the Hell are you buying football jerseys for £80 at?!

Finally, Even if they do sell at £80, RM do not make that in profit for each shirt, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they receive less than half the price of every shirt sold.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:30

Mr Nick09 wrote:
The_Badger wrote:

nice parallel between Betis, Newcastle and Real Madrid. We really stand alike
I like how you've ignored Milan. Wink

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:31

Luca wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:

And if he, hypothetically, flops at Madrid and disappears, how marketable does that make him?
I'm not saying he will, I'm not even saying I want him to, but if it happens this investment looks poor.
Look at Kaka, Kaka was three times the player Bale is now before his move to Madrid and he was also extremely marketable- didn't work out as planned. Ronaldo, worked out exaclty as planned but he's an absolutely incredible player and showed that prior to his move to Madrid. I'm just not sure we can say the same about Bale last season for Tottenham, but in any case, last season was last season.

Really interested to see how this all plays out
Obviously on-field performance goes a long way. Look at Torres, also. He was up there in terms of marketability a couple of year ago. Ever since he's been flopping, he has dropped so low in that department. Now even Lampard is a bigger face than he is. There's a reason why Balotelli is marketable(believe it or not, he is) and Joey Barton isn't. Both are hot heads but one is class and the other is mediocre at best.

I do think this Bale transfer will turn out well though.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:33

gon be easy to market this

Gareth Bale Transfer Saga V.2 - Page 15 BOGtV9ACEAE99o-
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:34

Zealous wrote:
The_Badger wrote:
Marketing in football is completely different than what was back then so using Shearer as an example doesn't prove anything

@CSpurs

100% agreed.
Bollocks excuse as expected. The tag Bale will carry means the grand sum of sod all. He's going to be playing second fiddle to Ronaldo, who is the real superstar in RM's team. He's the one who gets the headlines and attention in Madrid.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:38

Mr Nick09 wrote:gon be easy to market this

Gareth Bale Transfer Saga V.2 - Page 15 BOGtV9ACEAE99o-
dat physique GQ magazine covers in this boy's future for sure.

The_Badger wrote:
Zealous wrote:
The_Badger wrote:I remember when Alan Shearer was the most expensive player, but no one talked about him because he was dull and uninteresting, just like Bale.

@CSpurs

100% agreed.
Bollocks excuse as expected. The tag Bale will carry means the grand sum of sod all. He's going to be playing second fiddle to Ronaldo, who is the real superstar in RM's team. He's the one who gets the headlines and attention in Madrid.
lol k if you say so.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:39

The_Badger wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:

Firstly, They won't sell one million "Bale" jerseys.

Secondly, where the Hell are you buying football jerseys for £80 at?!

Finally, Even if they do sell at £80, RM do not make that in profit for each shirt, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they receive less than half the price of every shirt sold.
I know a friend(Spurs) who got a Soldado jersey for his son prior to matchday 1 for £94. The kid wanted to get a Bale jersey but for obvious reasons he agreed to get a Soldado one instead(and luckily, Soldado scored). You'll be surprised how much they cost these days. Go on any team's web store and check the prices(with customised names). Anyway, my point is, Real Madrid are popular enough to have their fans and other fans in general buy the shirt of their marquee signing. Obviously it wouldn't happen all in one season.

Good point about the amount they could end up getting for the sales though.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:41

Shirt sales are just a part of it though. Image rights and negotiation leverage with sponsors is where the real money is.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:42

Zealous wrote:Shirt sales are just a part of it though. Image rights and negotiation leverage with sponsors is where the real money is.
This too.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:44

Where did he buy this Soldado shirt from? The price ceiling on Spurs website for an adult shirt with name and number on the back is £63.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:46

something important for madrid with regard to adidas, Bale is sponsored by Adidas, just like Madrid. It's been a torn for Adidas that CR is tied up with Nike, given that he is our n1 superstar.

I expect Adidas to milk it.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:53

The_Badger wrote:Where did he buy this Soldado shirt from? The price ceiling on Spurs website for an adult shirt with name and number on the back is £63.
Just checked on Spurs' website and the ceiling is actually £73 for a Soldado shirt. No idea where he bought it but I know its genuine because I saw it myself.

Obviously in this case, a Madrid one would cost more.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sun 25 Aug 2013, 01:59

Unless of course it's utter bullshit.

http://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/product/soldado-mens-printed-home-shirt/mppsoldh

£63.00 for a Adult home shirt with "Soldado 9" on the back and I'm supposed to believe your "mate" bought his kid one for £94.00! Laughing

EDIT: Interestingly enough, a RM home shirt with "Ronaldo 7" is £53.33!

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 02:04

No business man expects a return on investment in one year anyway. If Bale proves to be great on the football pitch then the money spent is a moot point, over the course of his contract he will pay back his value to the club just like Cristiano already has.

Expect Adidas to milk the Bale signing as well. They don't really have a true superstar face in club football atm. They promote Messi with Argentina but that can only go so far.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun 25 Aug 2013, 02:07

You really don't have to believe it, mate. That's up to you.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun 25 Aug 2013, 02:07

The_Badger wrote:Unless of course it's utter bullshit.

http://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/product/soldado-mens-printed-home-shirt/mppsoldh

£63.00 for a Adult home shirt with "Soldado 9" on the back and I'm supposed to believe your "mate" bought his kid one for £94.00! Laughing

EDIT: Interestingly enough, a RM home shirt with "Ronaldo 7" is £53.33!
Even at that price Madrid would have to sell 1,269,841 kits over the course of his contract to see a return on investment. Even if there is just a 500,000 increase in shirt sales it'll be considered a success as far as shirt sales are concerned. That is not where the real money is anyway.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 37 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 37  Next