andiii
MaraVilla
Forza
Kick
Grooverider
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Should Nations Boycott Qatar 2022? - Page 3 Empty Re: Should Nations Boycott Qatar 2022?

Post by animal.crackers Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 am

Grooverider wrote:
animal.crackers wrote:
Grooverider wrote:one could argue that the CL has over taken the WC
LOL!
Many fans put the club they support and watch before national teams, and remain indifferent if they win or lose.

Club > country.
Let me tell you something CL doesn't even touch the World Cup, and it ain't even close.

In 99% of the world, people don't have top clubs, they have the world cup.

When the World Cup comes on, people that aren't obsessed about footy enough to go on a forum about it, want to act like that's the only subject to talk about. Non footy fans are footy fans again over night.

The world cup is fricking GRAND. The Champions League is just a "little competition" that a bunch of people in Planet Earth don't even know about.

But ask them about the World Cup, and even the non football fans will know, and will probably watch it.

715.1 million people - give or take, one in ten people alive at the time - watched the last showpiece final. If that doesn't make you chill at how a frickin SPORT can bring humanity together, I don't know what will.

animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Should Nations Boycott Qatar 2022? - Page 3 Empty Re: Should Nations Boycott Qatar 2022?

Post by animal.crackers Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am

Also, in 99% of the world, it is country before club.

In England, it's very different because of the dynamics of the sport in our country, also that England has been underwhelming for well over a generation doesn't help either.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Grooverider wrote:
MaraVilla wrote:biggest tourney, i dont think any self respecting player would boycott it tbh.
one could argue that the CL has over taken the WC, also what self respecting player/nation would participate in a tournament that was obtained buy corruption and build on slave labour?
Nah. One could argue that the CL has over taken the WC interms of quality(even Ferguson thinks so), but WC will always be the biggest torunament and the most important trophy for a player..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Peccadillo wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Laughing Laughing Nobody is going to boycott the WC.  And the Wc isn't going to be played in the winter either.  You guys need to remember that the WC in Qatar is in 2022... that's 9 years from now.  Platini is likely going to be the FIFA President then and he is very old school.  

Besides, domed stadiums are all over the place in the US, especially in Texas where it's no cooler than Qatar lol.  Canada has it because it's freakin glacial.  It's not really a problem to put retractable roofs/domes + air conditioning in the WC stadiums.  

This is just Blatter trying to keep himself in the newspapers.
+1. People are exaggerating. Ex-Pats live and work in Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc - I've been there a few times.. Sure it's insanely hot in summer and you feel like you have just showered under sweat after walking a few blocks down the street - but all the hotels/malls etc are well air conditioned - there will be plenty of taxis or air conditioned buses etc - the facilities will no doubt be fantastic and to be honest, if you stay indoors/at the beach all will be well in the world.

I think a lot of the backlash from people is their distaste for the middle-east (yes I am being serious) - people are talking about corruption? Yeah cos there isn't any corruption in South Africa, Brazil or Russia.. Is there?

But hey if you are more concerned about people breaking sweat before entering their rooftop pool in their fancy hotel over a country with a homicide rate that puts Iraq to shame then that's your prerogative. (Also don't get me wrong - I am not bothered by Brazil getting the W.C and I'm sure it'll be safe in most areas- I am in fact going and am well keen - Just making the point that people are oddly selective when it comes to morality)
Yeah you are right. I lived in the Middle East while walking outside is hot, inside malls it is much cooler. Honestly hope they get that tech they were talking about in the stadia then holding it in the summer would be good. This part of the world deserves a World Cup
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm

It is not about the weather as much as about changing the WC to winter time. Also, it is about the neo-slavery happening in Qatar more than anything else.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ball playing defender Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 pm

animal.crackers wrote:Also, in 99% of the world, it is country before club.
You are wrong Wink

I think this is probably only in this 1%.
Ball playing defender
Ball playing defender
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm

punkfusion1992 wrote:
Yeah you are right. I lived in the Middle East while walking outside is hot, inside malls it is much cooler. Honestly hope they get that tech they were talking about in the stadia then holding it in the summer would be good. This part of the world deserves a World Cup
it's a good thing nobody walks outside during the tournament then

you don't go to the world cup to get shuttled from the hotel to the stadium and back, it's about the fan experience more than anything else

also why the hell would that part of the world "deserve" a world cup? nevermind that, like i said before, hosting a world cup is a privilege not a right, on what basis would the region deserve it? great potential for football growth? sporting achievements? stellar record in advancing human rights? the distinct lack of civil wars?
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 pm

[quote="che"]
punkfusion1992 wrote:
the distinct lack of civil wars?
I resent that, the Middle East is as peaceful as Europe during the cold wars and before Laughing

I agree with the rest of your points though :coffee:
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 am

che wrote:
punkfusion1992 wrote:
it's a good thing nobody walks outside during the tournament then

you don't go to the world cup to get shuttled from the hotel to the stadium and back, it's about the fan experience more than anything else

also why the hell would that part of the world "deserve" a world cup? nevermind that, like i said before, hosting a world cup is a privilege not a right, on what basis would the region deserve it? great potential for football growth? sporting achievements? stellar record in advancing human rights? the distinct lack of civil wars?
While I agree a cooler climate would be more suitable, it doesn't mean regions with a less suitable climate should never be able to host a world cup - fair? I am sure there will be massive tents set up on the beach with some form of air conditioning. The landscape in the region is actually breathtaking - partying on a beach in doha til sunrise sounds fine to me.

Qatar has a right to the "privilege" of a world cup as much as anyone. Whilst I of course don't think corruption, breaches of human rights and certainly any human trafficking should be condoned - I think you would be narrowing down your options considerably if you seek to boycott nations based on your perception of their moral standards. You also should be questioning who in fact are responsible for the working conditions? Is it the Qatari government, the Qatari FA? or the contractors? Is Qatar simply guilty of failing to regulate the construction industry adequately - possibly turning a blind eye? Whatever it is you need to give the country the opportunity to rectify such issues as these - let them know this is NOT acceptable - allow them time to investigate it, fix it, maintain regulations to prevent it from happening again.

Anyway you can go back and forth and try to figure out whats really going on behind the scenes but at the end of the day the world cup is a sporting event - corruption is everywhere - if you choose to boycott a world cup for political reasons and want to remain morally consistent you should probably think twice about paying your taxes as an American and think twice about taking a bite out of that big mac as you are contributing to the shelling of civilians in Gaza (for example). You should probably throw out most of your electronics, half your wardrobe and some of your wife's jewelry. There aren't many clean hands out there - dare I say even the BBC who released the report, the self proclaimed Batman of British media, have a little dirt on their finger tips.

Louis C.K summed up the human condition when it comes to moral justification pretty hilariously in his 'of course, but maybe' bit, also specifically on slavery - "of course slavery is wrong, but maybe nothing astonishing would ever have been built without it".. I know that's inappropriate as it IS a serious issue, I just couldn't help but reference it.

Also.. don't want to enter into one of these arguments.. but what Qatari civil war are you referring to exactly? The only wars nations like Qatar fight are alongside the Americans. I live in Australia but am from London and have plenty of free accommodation there - both countries had failed bids when they would realistically have been more suitable hosts - I should be more annoyed than anyone! But I can understand the desire to spread it out and try to cover every continent as equitably as possible - make no mistake I am under no illusion that shady deals were not made to make it happen. Regardless of that, I find there IS something special about world cups being hosted in a wide variety of countries, cultures and climates. Football is a global game and the world cup is for everyone.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

Very wrong, club is the players main income to himself and family, national team is just for glory.
your going to tell me Tevez or just about any other footballer would give up his wages just to win a gold trophy that doesn't even go to him?
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Donuts wrote:
Very wrong, club is the players main income to himself and family, national team is just for glory.
your going to tell me Tevez or just about any other footballer would give up his wages just to win a gold trophy that doesn't even go to him?
100% correct
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3