Our Horrible season under Moyes

4 posters

Go down

Our Horrible season under Moyes Empty Our Horrible season under Moyes

Post by RED Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:12 am

One of the best articles I've ever read.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new, unacceptable low:

If some United fans can’t see it now they never will. A 2-1 defeat at a quite frankly awful Stoke side, themselves in free fall, has to be the final straw. Five defeats in eight games in 2014, including deserved losses today, at home to Swansea and Spurs and at Sunderland. And none of us are surprised anymore. We’re no longer devastated by defeat. The players no longer look devastated, just resigned. The game at the Britannia was our season in microcosm: talented players in all bar the midfield, playing prehistoric, one dimensional football and, when things turn bad, a manager and coaching staff who appear totally baffled and unable to identify what to do to change things. A squad which won the title by eleven points last season, with Juan Mata, Marouane Fellaini and Adnan Januzaj, nearly £70m worth of talent and one of the finest young players in world football, have been assembled into a team which began by playing mid-table football and is now in relegation form. We can blame the players, and no doubt they should shoulder some responsibility for their performances, but the buck stops with the coaching staff. If three or four were under-performing we could point fingers at them alone, but this is squad wide. Every player bar De Gea, Rooney and Januzaj has played consistently below the level we know they can achieve and sustain.

Some claim that the manager and his staff should be given another six to twelve months. That this isn’t Moyes’ team. He hasn’t got the players he wants. He has a vision. This opinion is of course their prerogative and they are entitled to it, but to me that attitude appears to be built on nothing but blind faith, that Sir Alex took several years to succeed and that this manager will also come good. I do not believe that the current state of affairs would be tolerated at any other elite club worldwide. Persisting out of some sort of belief that our club is more special, more loyal than others is absurd. The main tenet of the optimists’ vision has been that injuries have greatly hindered us, which is partly true, but that when Carrick, Rooney and Van Persie returned from injury they would fire us to Arsenal’s fourth place trophy. Well there it is peeps. They’re back and we’re still turgid dross. You can have great players, and those three are wonderfully talented, but if your principle tactic is to get the ball wide as quickly as possible for the winger or full back to cross, against a team of giants whose entire game plan is based around aerial dominance, then you could have Lionel Messi on the pitch and he’d struggle. It’s no coincidence that our goal came from a rare attempt to play through the middle. It’s a familiar pattern. You can go back to the Spurs game at home. 99% abject and aimless crossing. Our one goal came when Januzaj tore up the rule book and slid Danny Welbeck in from a central position.

Another statistic for you. This season Manchester United’s entire complement of natural central midfielders have contributed one goal and one assist. It’s February. Now this isn’t a new issue, but the numbers are more startling that ever before. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, they are simply poor players playing badly or, in the case of Michael Carrick, a very good but ageing player upon whom we have been totally reliant in recent years, struggling with injury and being terribly out of form. But then who isn’t? Secondly, the midfielders we have simply do not get forward. Their first thought, in any circumstance, is to get the ball wide. Statistically we have crossed the ball more than any other side in the Premier League this season and rank 20th at attacking moves through the central channel. There can be no excuse that Moyes doesn’t have the players to play any other way. Stoke, Cardiff, Villa, West Brom, Allardyce’s West Ham, all play through the middle more than us.

The most dispiriting thing of all is that after six months of seeing these tactics fail nothing has changed. We just keep plugging away in the hope that, as if by magic, it will suddenly work. We could have Vidal and Gundogan in midfield and United would play the same way. There is no future vision, no slowly evolving philosophy. This is football from the 1980s. Graham Taylor, George Graham and Howard Wilkinson would most certainly approve. Few expected a title this season. Most fans were realists. We knew it would take time, that there would be a year of adjustment. A top four finish and decent showing in Europe and/or one of the domestic cups would have sufficed. This is unacceptable. And the very real fear is that the longer it goes on the more damage will be done. With Moyes as manager top four is a dream. Top six is looking like a challenge right now.

Regardless of tactics, the January transfer window was again a missed opportunity. The signing of Juan Mata was wonderful, a beautiful bonus player whose quality was obvious at the Britannia. He will help us. But without solid foundations in midfield and defence the impact of adding him will be reduced. If you don’t have the ball or don’t give it to him in the right areas he simply can’t have the impact that his ability should bring. And so we revelled, perfectly reasonably, in his signing and looked the other way as a club which claims to have a huge transfer kitty failed to strengthen in their areas of weakness. The claim that we will only buy the world’s greatest players and they aren’t available so we’ll purchase no one is absurd. Only the best are good enough for us we trumpet, as Tom Cleverley, forty-year-old Ryan Giggs, an out of position Phil Jones and Alex Buttner trot out onto the pitch. It is a ludicrous contradiction.

Sir Alex’s mantra was always to look to buy players that are better than the ones he had. If our scouting department couldn’t identify a central midfielder or left back better than those mentioned then there is something seriously amiss. You buy a higher standard than you already have, discard the poorest players you have in that position, then in the next window try to buy players even better than the ones you bought six months ago. You do this until your squad is top class. Your initial buys immediately improve the first team and then become squad players when better arrive. That way both your starting eleven and group becomes stronger. At each point you discard your weakest link. Used purely as an example, it was clear that the highly rated Porto midfielder Fernando was available for the right fee. He is a player who, whilst probably not world class, is considerably better than what we have. Some fans baulked at him as a potential signing because, apparently, we only need the very best. Yet had we signed him we would have been improved in the short term, in pursuit of our “imperative” (Moyes’ words) goal of Champions League football and when we, in theory, signed even better players in the summer he would become a squad player, replacing the weaker elements in that area. Always look to improve. Manchester City’s late bid to get him as back up or competition for Yaya Toure and Fernandinho demonstrated his potential value in this role. Chelsea, meanwhile, took our £40m, bought a high class player for a very reasonable fee to address their own midfield issue, a talented young winger to replace Mata and one of the most highly rated young centre backs (another area of medium term concern) in world football.

Moyes’ vision now appears to rely entirely on an executive group, including himself, pulling off a rash of top class signings next summer. This seems to be both his get out line and that of many fans. How can we assume that an administration with a very patchy record in this area can achieve that goal? If we miss Champions League football that task will become even harder. Secondly, even were we to pull off one or two of the above, we’ve seen nothing to suggest that we’ll do anything other than continue to pump long balls upfield and throw in aimless crosses. If you are a world class footballer with a number of options would you be enticed by an albeit historically great club who offer no top level European football and play football from the Stone Age? Mata was a fantastic coup, a moment of opportunism, signing a player desperate to play before the World Cup on huge wages. It was a unique scenario which the club exploited well. Is it a given that we can repeat that four or five times over in a World Cup summer?

What has become of our club this season was unthinkable in June. It would be delusional to pretend that Sir Alex didn’t leave Moyes a squad with significant issues, but what we have seen on the pitch all season bears no relation to the talent available. The coaching staff have, despite all of their hard work and best intentions, dismantled the standards and values that Fergie spent 28 years institutionalising at Manchester United. The team spirit, swagger, arrogance and belief has gone from the players. They are shells. Defeat is becoming standard. Two things are demanded of United teams. First and foremost they must win. Secondly they should play with some style. They should excite. Provide one of these and the fans will back you. The last two seasons under Sir Alex were hardly vintage. Style was secondary. But they won, often in the most dramatic, jaw dropping ways. David Moyes is providing neither. Results are far beyond unacceptable, performances so devoid of flair, excitement and character that it’s hard to remember a United side that I looked forward to seeing less and had so little faith in. Probably the 88/89 side and early 89/90. We simply cannot be trusted to beat anybody. It’s painful, turgid drudgery. The same players, with three very good additions, and yet the results, and performances, are just unimaginably abysmal. What’s changed? Go figure.

I tweeted as far back as the league game at the Stadium of Light that Moyes had dismantled Manchester United (the team as opposed to the club). It was a pale imitation even of the unbalanced side that he had inherited. The tactical awareness, belief, variation and just plain competence was disappearing, along with confidence, from my football team in front of my eyes. That process has continued to far greater depths than any of us could have imagined. My fear now is how low this road can lead us. The manager has no answers. If he did he would have applied them by now. I cannot believe, behind all of the briefings to journalists that Moyes’ job is not under threat and that he will have time; that the Glazers are not seriously considering their options. If they aren’t then I can only shake my head. Forget league position. In purely financial terms, the language they truly understand, their asset is depreciating before their eyes. In seven months we have gone from perpetual winners to serial losers. A laughing stock. My friends don’t take the p*ss any more. I just get disbelieving texts asking how on earth this is being allowed to go on. At full time today the first I received read, “Outwitted by Mark Hughes. Good lord.” In the context of previous discussions we have had this wasn’t an attempt to wind me up. It was simply a head shaking recognition that a new, unimaginable low had been achieved. At Cardiff, Wilfried Zaha, totally excluded at United, was ripping Norwich apart and setting up both of his new club’s goals. It summed up a terrible day. That is where we are. Without change God only knows where it will all end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:bow: :bow: 
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Our Horrible season under Moyes Empty Re: Our Horrible season under Moyes

Post by fatman123 Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 am

Very good article, couldnt believe Moyes didnt play Mata at #10 v Stoke too, hes the kind of player who can create great chances for RVP and Rooney all day if hes given the chance
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Brilliant article, I can't argue with anything :bow:

I think we might actually struggle against Olympiacos, that's how low the confidence is. Imagine we go through though, we'll get torn apart by any top side. It could get embarrassing.

fatman123 wrote:Very good article, couldnt believe Moyes didnt play Mata at #10 v Stoke too, hes the kind of player who can create great chances for RVP and Rooney all day if hes given the chance

As it was said in another thread, it was so weird that Welbeck played the majority of the game in the #10 role, when we have Kagawa, Rooney and Mata in the squad Mad Moyes is an idiot
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:16 am

Another great article by my main man Richard Cann. Perfectly summed up my feeling about the match v Bayern Munich.

Bayern: A fine result or a demonstration of United’s decline?

Our Horrible season under Moyes Nemanja-Vidic-600x400

If I was asked to use three words to describe Manchester United’s 1-1 draw with Bayern Munich on Tuesday evening they would be, “I don’t understand”. The reasons for this choice are complex, but in terms of competence, tactics, spirit, passion and individual excellence it was a match so thoroughly out of place in a wretched season that it raises questions as to where on earth it came from. In that context this was a performance to enjoy and savour, restoring some pride and fun to a campaign devoid of both. These are the positives. But in the longer term it it felt like the endgame in a half decade of relative decline, a backs-to-the-wall performance at home against one of Europe’s giants, a club with which we have equal standing off the pitch but are so far apart on it that it was a pleasant surprise not to be humiliated. How did we get here?

First the “I don’t understand” of the Bayern game in the context of this season. It has been a campaign defined by ineptitude both off the field and on it, tactics and performances against competent sides and above exposing David Moyes’ team as being naive, one-dimensional, lacking in belief, drive and guidance. This has been particularly true at Old Trafford, a fortress that has become a house of straw, blown down by the slightest breeze. The Liverpool and City games were the nadir, matches against two despised rivals, both in competition for a League title which we in effect relinquished in January, both three-nil defeats in which United were comfortably outwitted tactically and were second best in terms of technique and desire. If the manager and players couldn’t raise themselves for these two games, then could they ever? The answer, it appears, is yes, for the second successive Champions League game.

In trying to explain more positive performances this season in Europe I have previously thought that foreign sides continue to give the club far more respect than domestic teams. They, after all, don’t watch United on a weekly basis and have walked onto the pitch facing a reputation and history rather than the eleven men standing in front of them. I still believe that this holds true. Bayer Leverkusen manager Sami Hyypia admitted as much after his side succumbed to naive 4-2 and 5-0 defeats. There is still enough quality at Old Trafford, irrespective of the identity of the manager, to give a good hiding to any team who leave themselves open defensively and pay us too much respect. This theory, however, cannot be used to explain the showing against Bayern. The Germans are European champions, had their own domestic league wrapped up in March and had already won at the Emirates against Arsenal this season and at the Etihad. Both were achieved in relative comfort. They have no reason to fear United, regardless of history and reputation. They have no reason to fear anybody. Bayern totally dominated possession and territory in the first half on Tuesday and yet the home side held firm and could have gone in to half-time ahead, had the pacey and powerful Danny Welbeck not had one effort harshly ruled out for a high foot and then fluffed a glorious one-on-one opportunity. For almost the first time this season United came out of the half-time interval invigorated and what followed was the antithesis of almost everything we have witnessed so far this season domestically. The tempo was better, the passion, technique, drive, determination, pace. Nemanja Vidic scored and the Germans were, for 8 minutes, rattled, before Schweinsteiger’s brilliant equaliser restored parity. But even then United didn’t fold and the outcome of the game remained in doubt until the final whistle.

So how do we explain the performance that had us on our seat edges, a posture we’ve experienced so little of this season? Were the German’s complacent, did they have an off-night or were United simply extremely sound defensively and clinical on the break? Unquestionably David Moyes got his tactics largely right, sitting deep, soaking up pressure and countering at pace. This, in itself, has been a rarity this season. But without the application of the players it would have made little difference. There were exceptional performances all over the pitch from the men in red: Vidic and Ferdinand were at the peak of their powers, Michael Carrick was more composed than he has been all season and Danny Welbeck led the line outstandingly. Perhaps the major turning point in the game was a change that was forced on Moyes, a labouring Ryan Giggs replaced on the left at half-time by Shinji Kagawa, for whom games such as these are, in theory, made. His Willo the Wisp like performance did little to dispel that assertion. Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the night was the showing of the much maligned Alex Buttner. It was a performance from the, ahem, limited Dutchman so out of keeping with the extent of his abilities and previous contributions that it rather encapsulated the whole night. This was everything we know about our team and players this season in reverse. The one exception to the rule was Marouane Fellaini who, in keeping with his performances in big matches for United, was abject in every aspect of his game. His touch, passing, pace and work rate were all sub-standard and it was he who allowed Bastian Schweinsteiger to drift off his shoulder in the box and equalise. His defending here, as with everything else he did all night, was half-paced and half-assed. It summed up his contribution that the 6 foot 4 inch midfielder won only one of the seven headers he contested. From being relatively positive about his arrival at United I can only now look at the slow-motion Belgian, consider the £27.5m fee and confess that I really don’t understand.

One wonders why this team performance and the Olympiacos display before it were so different. Was it the magnificent atmosphere, under the lights at Old Trafford that drove the players on, or were they self-motivating in a competition that remains their only hope of silverware and a route into the Champions League next season left? Either explanation has negative connotations, exposing either a lack of effort and application domestically by pretty much the whole squad or a chronic absence of the ability to motivate his players by the manager. The scale of the problem this season suggests the latter, but the players unquestionably need to take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror. The Bayern game was perhaps the exception that proves the rule, the (almost) one-off revival that exposes the tactical paucity and lack of commitment and passion which has defined the season thus far. Where the hell has that been hiding since August? I don’t understand. After the pleasure and excitement of the ninety minutes wore off United fans could quite reasonably begin to ask quite where that verve and quality was the week before against City. I feel a little cheated and, despite his own major role in the downfall of last season’s champions, David Moyes has every right to feel a little cheated too.

And so to the bigger picture. Pre-match, some bookmakers were offering odds as long as 13/2 for United to win at home. European Champions as opponents or not, that is unprecedented. It was also probably about right for a team with significant injury problems, a limited manager and under-performing players. Quite how we have ended up in a position where expectations amongst fans, the media and punters is so low is hard to fathom. From almost the first minute every tackle, throw-in won, positive pass, tackle or clearance was cheered with gusto, as if the men in red were plucky, non-league underdogs facing Premier League giants. Despite all that has come before it and all that we know I still find this fall from grace difficult to fathom. How has it come to this? A draw with 26% possession at home is trumpeted in some quarters as a job well done, a success. I just don’t understand.

In the context of the season that has unfolded before their eyes this season, and taking into account the quality of the opposition, these responses were totally understandable. But for a club of United’s size to be taking on the role of the minnow at home against a club of similar stature, something has gone terribly wrong. It cannot simply be explained away by the use of the word “transition”. The seeds of this decline were unquestionably sown during the final few years of Sir Alex Ferguson’s quarter-century reign at Old Trafford, possibly as far back as the 2005 Glazer takeover, but certainly since the summer of 2009, when Ronaldo was sold and Tevez lost to City. Neither were replaced by players of anything like a similar quality. Fergie kept expectations artificially high by dragging a more pragmatic side to another Champions League final, but from there the decline in the standard of football, adventure and quality was pronounced. In his final three seasons United were twice losers in the Round of 16 and once eliminated in the Group Stage. Performances against stronger opponents became more and more like that which we saw on Tuesday, soaking up pressure and trying to break at speed. The odds started to tilt less in our favour.

And yet Manchester United went into their two-legged tie with Real Madrid last season top of the Premier League and with a realistic chance of defeating their equally illustrious opponents. We could and probably should have won in Madrid and, but for the ridiculous sending off of Nani at Old Trafford, were in with a shout of progressing at home. United fans knew that the Spaniards had some superior players but as a team there was still a feeling that this was a group with a realistic chance of pulling it off. Those last vestiges of perceived strength have been almost entirely wiped away by this wretched campaign and football far more pragmatic and less fluid even than Sir Alex’s final title winning team. We knew we had declined in recent years, but no one could have predicted the speed of the descent over the last few months. Over two legs against Bayern few expect qualification for the next round, most hoping simply that United give a good account of themselves and bow out with pride. As fans we all retain a glimmer of hope that something extraordinary could happen, but we know it is highly unlikely. As do the bookies. The disastrous summer, mistakes of the new manager and dramatic decline in player performances have left us completely exposed. Why it has happened can be traced back over several years, but the extent of it still amazes. In the end we were happy to come away with a 1-1 draw, a result which in the past would have left us a little frustrated and disappointed. The decline in expectations has been understandable, but dramatic.

The performance against Bayern was heart-warming, but also deeply puzzling, a night when both players and the manager lived up to their supposed potential, giving us something to purr about in a rotten season. A little pride has been restored to the team and its fans. But it was also an occasion which highlighted just how far from grace the club have fallen, a slow, slippery descent from 2009 which has become a fall at terminal velocity in the last eight months. Both the performance in the context of the season and the level of expectations in the context of United’s history were totally out of keeping with what came before and even an understanding of some of the factors at play doesn’t provide a satisfactory explanation. The performance was welcome, the rightly-lowered expectations of the United fans, not so much. As to why both have happened, I just don’t understand.

http://strettynews.com/bayern-a-fine-result-or-a-demonstration-of-uniteds-decline/
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 am

I agree, expectations have changed. Also, I said before the game I didn't think we could park the bus and get a result, but we did. However, I still think it was more Bayern being bad on the day than us being good. Our two chances came from a corner (which was awfully defended by Bayern 15 years and they still can't defend corners against us Razz) and a horrible defensive error. I've seen Boateng make mistakes like that before, but I can't help but feel at the Allianz Arena the concentration will be better from them. It was hardly brilliant counter attacking from us.

The thing that struck me the most is though, what did Moyes do against Bayern that Tony Pulis or Big Sam can't do? And that is enough to show he is not a manager for this level.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 am

Yep. I agree.

Although we showed heart and desire, which has been lost many a times in the league, I get the feeling that Bayern were complacent.

Had they played with the same intensity and respect they showed v Arsenal 1st leg and City at the Etihad, we would have been beaten comfortably.

2nd leg will be an entire different ball game.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 am

Btw, this podcast is an enjoyable listen to when ever you have the time Thumbs up

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/rant-cast/rantcast-188-moyes-parks-the-bus/
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 am

Busby Babe wrote:Btw, this podcast is an enjoyable listen to when ever you have the time Thumbs up

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/rant-cast/rantcast-188-moyes-parks-the-bus/

Will def have a listen to it.

n what was ostensibly a good week for David Moyes, Ed & Paul contrive to record their most ‘Moyes-Out’ show yet

I'm sold.  smoking 
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Angoulême Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 pm

He merited the sack half a year ago, after losing back to back home games against Everton and Newcastle when it was looking unlikely that we'd get into the top 4. Since then, it's just been ridiculous that he's still here, and it really couldn't get any worse since the City game. The Olympiacos game saved his job IMO, sadly. We have improved overall, but we'll always come up short in big games with him. We won't win titles with him, we won't win the champions league with him. We can put up a fight and get into the top 4 by spending and having a world class starting 11 all around, but put any top manager in charge of us and they'd have us competing for the title right from the start.
Angoulême
Angoulême
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down