McAgger
Jonathan28
zigra
urbaNRoots
BarrileteCosmico
25 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 14 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Bran

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 14 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by Eman Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 pm

I literally never hit send and my post was published before I finished it...wtf? I just hit preview halfway through.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Didn't grrm himself say the others are not just some evil force?
And what about Bran? You don't tell me he traveled all the way north and became a tree to be some support cast for shining heroes Jon (+Dany and St Tyrion).

Well as said, I don't have a good feeling and you could very well be right but as long as it hasn't happened I can still maintain hope :coffee: Cercei still got this imo :coffee:
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Well I'm going to have to eat my words about D&D not being good writers. This is the best episode to date this season, and the one that had the least amount of source material to go on. Really every scene was fantastic, and they were able to build that female elder into a rounded character in 20 minutes, sad we don't get to follow her story.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Nah, GRRM's version is completely different to the show. Others are not necessarily the evil as the show makes it out. And Dragons aren't exactly the saviours. Show makes it too balatant.

IIRC there are theories of the others existing to provide a balance in the world or something. Make things even. Can you really say that they only exist to counter the existence of the dragons?

Same reason as the faceless men exists.

GRRM writes it with considerable depth so we don't know who is right and who isn't. In comparison the show will 90% have Jon and Daenerys living happily ever after.

Re Bran. I think he will see the events of Rhaegar-Lyanna saga. Howland reed doesn't exist in the show does he?

Bran's purpose of meeting bloodraven is extremely important imo. That's why it's one of my favourite POV in the books. Hope they make at least one cameo in the show this season. Doubt it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:58 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Well I'm going to have to eat my words about D&D not being good writers. This is the best episode to date this season, and the one that had the least amount of source material to go on. Really every scene was fantastic, and they were able to build that female elder into a rounded character in 20 minutes, sad we don't get to follow her story.

Agreed.

Will we see any of this in the books though? Obviously hardhome is way past in the books. But a fight like this could happen in the future with Jon using longclaw against one of the others leaders
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:00 am

Agreed, I think a fight like this could definitely happen, although we don't even know if Jon will be on the night's watch when he comes back.

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 am

oh shit. Forgot about that.

Without making it obvious since james might read this post. After that incident. How epic would be that the others break through and Melisandre performs the ceremony. Jon gets confirmed as azor ahai and slaughters the others.

Potentiall more epic than the show version too. But GRRM hates cliches so who knows
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 am

I don't think there will be an AA, but I think if there is, its definitely Dany.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 am

The way Night's king was looking at Jon. I think he knew Jon was special IMO.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 am

Just the same way as he would look at any enemy leader though, nothing about it said AA to me.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:11 am

Another argument can be raised with Sam's line "Don't worry, Jon always comes back". That was the most compelling one imo.

One thing I didn't notice. A cat ran past Arya when she said Canal during the scene. Nice nod to the book readers Proud
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:54 am

How are you guys going to handle the imminent overtake of the tv show on the books? Will you read after watching? Do not watch until after you read? Stop reading altogether?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:29 pm

I'll watch/read whichever comes first and then read/watch the one that comes after that. At this point I just want to know what happens next. And besides not watching the show is stupid after episodes like the last 2.

Really can't wait to see the reaction to the events that are coming in the last 2 episodes, even Dorne will look cool after Doran's reveal.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:21 pm

While I do like the show I don't consider it even close to the books thus there's no way I stop reading.
I did think about not watching it tbh though not because I didn't want to get spoiled (In fact I never really cared about spoilers in any show or book) but because I kind of lose interest. I still watch it, still enjoy it but it's not like I really have to watch a new episode or something like that. I actually even missed one of the episodes this season and didn't notice when 2 years ago I stayed awake till 4am every week even though at that time I had to work on Monday.
Anyway I won't really stop watching it. I love the tldr way too much :coffee:
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Next book will 100% be out before Season 6. I am quite sure of that.

It's Season 7 which worries me.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:32 pm

To be honest that's one of the reasons why I don't really get why GRRM is so determined (seems so at least) to finish the 6th book before season 6. Even if he manages it there's absolutely no way he'd finish the series before season 7 so we get spoiled nonetheless, right? Not that I'm against him finishing the damn book Laughing just had to think about it.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:39 pm

zigra wrote:To be honest that's one of the reasons why I don't really get why GRRM is so determined (seems so at least) to finish the 6th book before season 6. Even if he manages it there's absolutely no way he'd finish the series before season 7 so we get spoiled nonetheless, right? Not that I'm against him finishing the damn book Laughing just had to think about it.

He is writing two books at once and will release A Dream Of Spring six months after The Winds Of Winter (:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Proud Even to think about it Proud
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:49 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Just the same way as he would look at any enemy leader though, nothing about it said AA to me.

agreed

free_cat wrote:How are you guys going to handle the imminent overtake of the tv show on the books? Will you read after watching? Do not watch until after you read? Stop reading altogether?

hmm , keep watching as they come and read the final books when they come out. I've been thinking about this since early s3 , when i started with the books. Watching the show first and then reading the books after , was at the very least a satisfying experience , and stayed like that for both mediums . Although , it did kinda bother me for a while , in that , #GoT is probably one of the best shows ever and i somehow spoiled it for myself by reading the books ?? Then again , ASOIAF is also some of the best fantasy written as well. It's a difficult decision in all honesty , however i do not regret anything and at least for the moment , i feel i won't regret watching / reading whatever becomes available first . (as if twow will come first Laughing )

I can tell you with all honesty , i am somewhat eager to go back to that state really. Watching the show in the dark again and experiencing once again the pure excitement of the unknown that comes along with it , like shownlies do , it is something that i do not consider unfortunate for me at all. If the price for this is some spoilers , then so be it. And then , plunge into TWOW when it finally comes out , for the real deal . Sure some things will be spoiled , but untill i read about it , i won't actually know i was being spoiled . Well , for most cases that is .

Unless it's something blatant like when major characters die , for instance , say Davos dies in TWOW . If i see show Davos die next season , then i know it's coming in the books . I already consider Mance Rayder dead tbh , despite him being dead in a plotline different to the book. But how and when ??? That's the point really. Most of these characters could die in the next chapters like at all times anyway , the only hard spoil you get is knowing that X character dies in this book .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:23 pm

zigra wrote:To be honest that's one of the reasons why I don't really get why GRRM is so determined (seems so at least) to finish the 6th book before season 6. Even if he manages it there's absolutely no way he'd finish the series before season 7 so we get spoiled nonetheless, right? Not that I'm against him finishing the damn book Laughing just had to think about it.

Let's see what the Winds of Winter brings first. Although that is pure speculation , my guess would be , GRRM believes TWOW may bring forth enough quality material to produce one more season , like s3 and s4 was in it's majority , ASOS . Then tryhard to release the final book in the supposed 8th and final season .

Yes , i've read about the 7 seasons . And i do believe it will be 7 seasons. But you never know how things will work out. If TWOW is the best book of the series yet , maybe they will decide it's worth a 2nd season . It happened with ASOS and it was a success . I wouldn't really put it past them to do the same thing again , assuming TWOW is such a big hit like everyone expects it to be . Like , first eps of s6 will be final ADWD stuff and teased TWOW stuff and then some TWOW stuff we do not know about , + shownly stuff. And then 7th would be fully TWOW stuff along with shownly stuff . It is possible , imho. Unlikely , but that's maybe where GRRM is betting at.  

So , if TWOW finally comes out before S6 ; he theoritically has 2 years to produce the final book , in a story which he always knew how it ends and has already gone throught the 'forest' , let's say . It's still a preposterous notion , to even think he is able to produce the final book in such a short time -short time when it comes to him that is- , but it is humanly possible to do so , and so in that sense , maybe that's why he's so determined to do this , despite all signs pointing out that ADOS will come after the final season is over ??

Truth be told , if HBO decided TWOW deserves 2 seasons , he will have a chance . Small , unlikely , difficult . But it will be a chance . Right now he has no chance anyway , so maybe that's why he's so determined to finish TWOW before s6 , to maybe give himself one last chance to catch up . An 8th season would give him a chance really , however small .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Dont open McAgger
Spoiler:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 pm

It is 100% happening

Sam gave Ollie the go ahead lol.

Sucks he is going to be Bowen marsh but it will still be glorious.

They think nothing can top the WW battle.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:30 pm

I just hope Edd is not among them. Hopefully seeing the stuff at Hardhome he will realize that Jon was right.

It can't just be Olly. Bowen Marsh (he had a named appearance on Ep5), Othell Yarwyck, Alliser Thorne are strong candidates. Maybe those would be rapists Sam fought off. Just not Edd pls

inb4itssam
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:35 pm

M99 wrote:Dont open McAgger
Spoiler:

Oh god that will be amazing Proud

Even E9 has the potential to top E8, depends on if they do it right.

Spoiler:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 pm

M99 wrote:I just hope Edd is not among them. Hopefully seeing the stuff at Hardhome he will realize that Jon was right.

It can't just be Olly. Bowen Marsh (he had a named appearance on Ep5), Othell Yarwyck, Alliser Thorne are strong candidates. Maybe those would be rapists Sam fought off. Just not Edd pls

inb4itssam

Nah Edd is almost certainly out of the plot, but yes it will involve other characters for sure. Bowen Marsh was also on earlier episodes. Alliser Thorne for sure, and other unnamed characters. I have faith in D&D doing this right because they seem to nail almost every big event.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next