Kaladin
32 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 7 - Page 32 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 7

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:56 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Freeza wrote:
El Gunner wrote:Maybe you should then choose your words more carefully, lad.

Because you sometimes come across as very high brow and condescending.

Condescending? You mean like you've been in every single post in this thread. You didn't even read the post you critiqued my opinion on SPR on. You just assumed it was negative and accepted that as the truth.

Calling me high brow and lad isn't condescending? hmm

You did it first by calling me clueless, that was just my defence mechanism.

You do realize we blanket is an insult? Anyways let's forget about this shit. Seems ridiculous at this point.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:00 pm

It's fine guys, I am pretty sure this is not going anywhere from now. What's been said, it's enough, we should all try to say less harsh words, watch closer how we feel inside and don't ruin ourselves for nothing. Make your day better by not giving energy to point out the bad behaviour the other one has. Look for the good things! Smile

To be on-topic. I have a list of aprox. 540 movies that I've seen and I gave a 10 on IMDB to aproximately 50 of them. So it's like 1 in 10 movies that I saw got a ten.

I am not very strict with giving a ten for a movie. Although, I am strict with my ratings, my main criterion is: what emotional impact the movie gave to me. That is the most important for me. Even though I observe a lot of mistakes and aspects that could have been much better put in the film, they don't define the movie overall for me. If at the end of the film I feel like I had a satori, it's enough for me to give it a ten. Laughing
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:04 pm

The emotion test combined with how it ages in your mind is something I usually do.

But if the emotion I get from watching a movie is extreme I won't care about anything else.

The Way Way Back kills me every time. I cry like a baby and I'm probably the only one that loves that move that much.

Personal experience is so big when getting emotional in movies.

The thing I'm harshest on is when movies are boring, which is why I didn't like Theory of Everything and Danish Girl at all.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Ava DuVernay making a +100m$ movie with A Wrinkle In Time for Disney is amazing news. First woman of colour to direct that expensive a movie.
It has to become a succes, both this and Wonder Woman need it.

Great choice for her. She could've continued lower budget movies, but I feel she has a responsibility to do this given the opportunity to create more opportunities for women out there. So happy about this news. More diversity in blockbuster storytelling hopefully can create different point of views.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Freeza wrote:The emotion test combined with how it ages in your mind is something I usually do.

But if the emotion I get from watching a movie is extreme I won't care about anything else.

The Way Way Back kills me every time. I cry like a baby and I'm probably the only one that loves that move that much.

Personal experience is so big when getting emotional in movies.

The thing I'm harshest on is when movies are boring, which is why I didn't like Theory of Everything and Danish Girl at all.

Hmm, I liked Theory of Everything and I wasn't bored at all by it, didn't see Danish Girl.

Regarding boring movies... it probably depends a lot on how was your day, how are your feelings, the vibe, how tired you are etc. It happened to me with some movies also and some other people didn't find them boring. So I believe it can be the context which influences the way we feel the tempo of a movie. It also matters a lot if you are interested in the plot, I believe... Maybe I wanted more than you to see some aspects from Hawking's life from the perspective of a Hollywood movie. It's just assumption anyway.

For example, I was with a friend with whom I watched a lot of movies and we tried last summer to watch Unbroken. We were bored as fk and we stopped watching it at half.

But an example with a low tempo action is "No country for Old Men". Even if the action was slow, the way it was filmed, the vibes that I was around the day I watched the movie and my desire to watch something "special" in the first place, made me go through it very very intense.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Just re-watched Looper. don't know how much it holds up compared to the first viewing.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 pm

For me the emotion I get out of the film has always been the most important factor. Then second would come entertainment level. And then thirdly all the filmmaking aspects. So it's a mix of those things.

I don't really sit down and write down or run down through my mind that particular criteria in order to know what rating I should give a film on a 5-scale cause that's what I've been using since Letterboxd. It's just all in my head and I guess from prior experience already. So in most cases soon after a movie ends I know what rating I would give it.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm

El Gunner wrote:For me the emotion I get out of the film has always been the most important factor. Then second would come entertainment level. And then thirdly all the filmmaking aspects. So it's a mix of those things.

I don't really sit down and write down or run down through my mind that particular criteria in order to know what rating I should give a film on a 5-scale cause that's what I've been using since Letterboxd. It's just all in my head and I guess from prior experience already. So in most cases soon after a movie ends I know what rating I would give it.

In the end, it's the same for me. Smile

PS. I remember how speechless (I was deeply impressed and emotionally touched) I was when I got out of the cinema after watching The Dark Knight Rises. Can't really explain why, but that's why movies are considered art, or at least that's what I consider them. Some people don't consider movies art, I can respect that. Smile

Most people I've asked, believe that movies are art. Therefore, we can accept that the use of imagination is very important and that differs from one man to another (implicitly the way we rate movies). But, what do you think? Are movies art?

Last edited by Vlad the Impaler on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:37 pm

I can't respect people who don't consider movies art tbh. People who uses their creativity to try to enrich other people's lives and expose themselves in such a way are artists tbh.

It shows a lack of the commitment it takes to make something that important to you and release it into the world.

Movies are basically considered art by all people at this point.

Video games are the next media and creative thing to be accepted.

I think all forms of creativity meant to show and express emotions and stuff like that are art. There's good and bad art, but saying something isn't art. I can't agree with that tbh. It usually comes from someone who hasn't had to
Make something creative.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Laughing
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:46 pm

BAH GAWD James McAvoy!!

Only worrying thing about this film is the obvious one. The director. M Night Shyamalalmalamalan Very Happy Some of his more recent movies have been utter trash. lol. This trailer look really good tho.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Glory wrote:BAH GAWD James McAvoy!!

Only worrying thing about this film is the obvious one. The director. M Night Shyamalalmalamalan Very Happy Some of his more recent movies have been utter trash. lol. This trailer look really good tho.

Thumbs up Thanks for the trailer (I hope I got this one right Freeza Laughing )

Looks good, made me curious. However, I have a bad feeling about it. You know...when the trailer is much more interesting than the movie.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm

The Visit was a huge improvement. He seems to have of a leash now. Can't wait for this one.

He seems to better off with small budgets though, so I think it'll be a good/great thriller.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Don't think Ben Hur will be anything great at all. Looks like something I could've filmed on my iPhone. Doesn't look cinematic at all.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Freeza wrote:

The Visit was a huge improvement. He seems to have of a leash now. Can't wait for this one.

He seems to better off with small budgets though, so I think it'll be a good/great thriller.

Hmm. Havent seen Visit. I was referring to After Earth and Airbender. Very Happy
And its funny in the From the director of part he only includes his better films. Laughing Even he knows After Earth and some others were wank. Thats a good start. Hope he builds from here.

BTW Has anyone seen The Village ? I think thats his best film. Very underrated. Even better than Sixth Sense.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 pm

El Gunner wrote:For me the emotion I get out of the film has always been the most important factor. Then second would come entertainment level. And then thirdly all the filmmaking aspects. So it's a mix of those things.

Pretty much same tbh

Although sometimes the rating changes after a while. Most films I watch in Cinema appear better than they are due to the cinema experience so thats why I have started to rate them a day or two after.

Sometimes the rating also changes due to the time factor. I hated Watchmen on my first viewing but after 3 years I think it was an amazing film. I loved Avengers AOU on my first viewing but after a while i realised how average that film was.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Freeza wrote:
Also I don't consider anybody on here stupid, except the usual suspects of course (check the Politics section for clarification). Maybe RG and his ratings but he's doing it on purpose using 6 decimals to rate Eurotrip Proud

Sad

Eurotrip is one of my fav films tbh. Never gave it a proper rating though. Would be somewhere around 7.5-8.06
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:16 pm

I think Unbreakable is by far his best tbh. My favourite is The Happening though Laughing

I said Th Visit was an improvement because it's his latest though. After Earth was a wake up call for anyone involved.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Also whats you guys's take on Zack Synder's massively underrated movie Sucker Punch ? Critics especially female critics ripped through it and called him anti feminist. Most people dislike that film.
But was that movie that bad ? Snyder was saying a hell lot of stuff through it. Hidden meanings and everything were really overlooked I think by many. People just got angry seeing girls portrayed in a certain manner.

Last edited by Glory on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Sixth sense is my favourite one

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Watch The Village guys. Its one of those rare Shyamalan films that is genuine. Even the concept is not some usual crap sci fi shit he puts up. Its an old movie. And therefore the special effects and everything werent that good. But the story for a change was.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by goonbrain Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Cannot wait bounce
goonbrain
goonbrain
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:41 pm

goonbrain wrote:

Cannot wait bounce

I'm pretty sure this post in unironic. But I just burst into laughter.

Also @RG I know you too well ffs. Eurotrip is amazing. Love Michelle Trachtenberg in it
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 pm

That still hurt imo

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Wanted to catch up with the 'latest' stuff so I watched Warcraft and Deadpool in a moment of free time.

I don't know much about what makes a movie good but I think these 2 were both masterpieces.

Any other titles I should get familiar with? That came out this year obviously. Thanks.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Finding Dory
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin