rincon
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
26 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by RealGunner Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm

well none of those are survival games tbf.

I think TLOU had that feeling. Those clickers still haunt me ffs.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Feel like playing TLOU again tbh, dunno if i will actually bother though Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 am

Game: Blazing Heroes/Mystaria: The Realms of Lore.
Year: 1995.
Genre: Tactical RPG.
Publisher: Sega.
Developer: Sega, Microcabin.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 59972-blazing-heroes-sega-saturn-front-cover

First things first, I am changing my rating system to a simpler 10 point system. Games that get above a 7 I fully recommend, and those that get below that are mostly a waste of time. That leaves the score of 7 to depend on your taste

If anyone suggested that Sega's newest console would almost launch with a Sega developed and published Tactical RPG, everyone would have thought a new Shining Force game was on the way.

Instead, Sega, ever the intelligent decision-makers, decided to make another unrelated Tactical RPG instead, with Shining Force not being released for a couple of years still.

The resulting game, Blazing Heroes (changed due to copyright reasons from Mystaria: The Realms of Lore), is not a carbon-copy replacement, nor is it of the same caliber. However, it is a solid TRPG with a lot to offer, and its fair share of aging pains.

"A legendary battle which will change the face of history has now begun"

The most striking thing about Blazing Heroes is how it heralds the beginning of a new gaming generation in many ways other than the obvious graphical progress. It does so by offering its narrative front and center, to be parallel to the actual gameplay for the overall experience.

Beginning with CGI cutscenes and an opening narrative, but continuing with dialogue exchanges between the various characters in the story. In total, the narrative is almost twice as much as Shining Force II on the Genesis, despite being a shorter game.

Of course, the fact there is more story doesn't automatically mean its a better one. Sure enough, Blazing Heroes offers nothing new, other than a basic evil warlord with possible greater evil threat behind him. This works well initially, especially due to the deliciously evilness of Lord Bane, the most evil of warlord.

In many ways, Lord Bane could have been an iconic villain for his time. His evil lines often equal or better those with more infamy such as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI or Dracula from the Castlevania series.

However, he is proof that just as a hero is defined by his nemesis, so is a nemesis is defined by the hero. Since Prince Aragon and his motley crew are such wet napkins, the whole story starts falling flat in the end.

Initially, this didn't seem to be the case, with both the dialogue and overall narrative feeling tight and well-directed. However, the dialogue starts losing style, and obvious grammatical and translation errors start appearing regularly. By the end of the game, the quantity of dialogue starts working against the game, with the characters only losing likeability as their spoken words revels in sloppiness.

Overall, Blazing Heroes could have been a solid story built on a well-tested narrative, but early generational localization makes it sloppier than it should have been.

"You are traitorous rebels. To me, you are gnats to be swatted away"

Like Shining Force and Fire Emblem, Blazing Heroes is a Tactical RPG, with characters moving and fighting in a grind in turn-based battles. Unlike those two, the characters in this game have much more options, and there are less of them in the field. This is similar to another Tactical RPG hybrid game on the PSOne, Arc the Lad.

To explain the difference:

In Shining Force, each characters can move and either attack or defend. Maybe they have another mode of attack, but they rarely have more than three options, and the attacks rarely consider multiple enemies. In Blazing Heroes, attacks have considerably more range, magic is more heavily utilized, and each character have several choices. Overall, this makes for a game leaning more on the RPG side than the tactical one.

Generally, battles are mostly in the easy side. That's because Aragon and Raiko are always in your party, and Raiko can become a one-man army by the end. It doesn't mean that the game becomes mostly busy works, as the fights are fast enough that you keep having fun, although there is one integral issue.

"Twelve brave warriors to banish the dark lord forever"

Each battle, you can choose six characters, each with a unique class from classical brawlers to mages. In the actual fight, you finish your turn before the enemy can move. In your turn, you can move around the field and use your skills. Depending on how much you move, you may not be able to use some skills. The more you use a skill, you can unlock other more powerful skills in that category. Which means that despite standby characters gaining some experience, you must use a character in order to unlock the skills that make them viable later on.

Due to the way that characters level up their skills, there become little incentive to care about using characters equally, as it just handicaps you in fights, and keeps you away from gaining the most powerful moves for your key players.

With only 6 slots (Which may be useful for the turns not dragging on too much) per match, with two always fixed, this means that half of your team is in the wayside.

This may be a spoiler, but make sure at least three members of your standby team are halfway competent with their skills, and make sure all of them are equipped with the rest of the team. That will avoid creating an unwinnable situation at the end of the game.

As such, even when there is variety in characters and attacks, the game really boils down to using the most powerful attack and steamrolling your way to victory. Only when it surprises you with a sudden difficulty spike or a need to use underutilized characters does the game approach any level of challenge.

"How do we know we can trust him? After all, he is a Ninja (RACISTS)"

For the time, Blazing Heroes was a significant step forward in graphical design. It had CGI cut-scenes, 3D animated polygonal models, a full rotatable camera, and was a clear indication of the 5th generation as a step forward.

Therefore, it's also a clear indication of how badly the 5th generation's polygonal graphics have aged (especially early one).

It's not that the game's graphics are incompetent in any way; it is the best that could have been produced in 1995. All polygonal models are unique, animations are choppy in a way but camera changes when the attacks happen add some much needed depth an action. Backgrounds and the environment are certainly ugly, with poor textures and lighting.

Just that there are no attempts to actually distract from the ugly polygons. For instance, Final Fantasy VII had those boxy character models. However, with the excellent 2D portraits s well as 2D backgrounds, it made them more tolerable.

The fact that the character's portraits are also their same polygonal in-game models just reinforces the ugliness of the graphics.

Musically, the game does not particularly excel nor does it fail. I liked the soundtrack without getting bored with any track, which is positive for a TRPG. One thing to be thankful for is, unlike the negative comments of some reviewers in the past, that there is no voice acting. The worst parts of this game's dialogue would have been much more cringe if actually voiced.

In Conclusion:

Back in the Saturn's original launch, Blazing Heroes would have been a great game to have. I can even see some play it twice just to try out the characters they didn't use. However, that was not the case for long, as games in the fifth generation quickly outgrew it, and games from past generations aging much better.

It's simply game that occupies the early band of a console's library, where its unique selling points are no longer unique, and its shortcomings are clearer because of that.

Final: 6/10

Pros:

• Solid TRPG gameplay.
  • Variety of Characters to use.

Cons:

• Graphics have aged badly.
  • Little reason to change party members.
  • Lack of fair challenge.

"Tips"
1- At one point, when your party split up, make sure to save before you do so.
2- For latter matches, you will need your Elf archer or age to pull up a shield.
4- For near the end game, you will need a magic shield, so use a physical shield whenever possible to unlock it.
5- Using skills unlock newer stronger skills.
6- Enemies may be leveled according to your own level, but skills are important too. Make sure you have at least three competent fighters in your B team.
7- You usually can earn enough money to buy the strongest equipment as you passively play the game. The strongest equipment are in treasure chests.
8- Equipment that are strong but have side effects are not worth it at all.
9- Raiko easily becomes the strongest fighter in the game if you level up his Ninja skills.

"Next Game"

This is one game that I enjoyed, but that I think few others would have the patience to go through. It has little to add over much more accomplished games in the genre, and instead serves as a teaser of what the genre is capable off.

Next game on the list is running a little amok at #88, title Amok (get the joke). From what I have seen, I expect this would be a short and negative review.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Stalker 2 in development. hmm

:bow:
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm

I was gonna post that, 2021 though Sad

Would rather they waited to announce it tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 am

In their top 100 Saturn games, Retro Sanctuary didn't have many ringers in the last 10 in the list. From numver 100 to the 91st game, there were some unique games, and even the start of a moderately successful mascot's career. Most of all, these were early 3D games in the fifth generation, and they have suffered as a result. While Gex is probably the only one worth playing today, some of these games are intresting in their own right.

Bug! can go to hell though.

100- Bug! (1995): Check the Review

• Genre: Platformer.

• Publihser: Sega, Developer: Realtime Associates.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-Continuejpg-noscale

With no Sonic game ready for their console launch, Sega thought they could get away by aking another iconic mascot for their platform. Bug! proved that making a mascot platformer is not easy, being a game so devoid of personality or fun, making it the perfect vehicle for such a drab mascot as the titular Bug.

This is a game best forgotten, but should be remembered a little bit for the hilariously wrong Stephen Spielberg quote, where he said that this character would be the one "to do it for the Saturn". If by do it, he meant kill it clean off the gates, then he may have been on to something.

99- NBA Action! (1996):

• Genre: Sport Action.

• Publihser: Sega, Developer: Grey Matter.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-NBAActionpng-noscale

NBA Action!  was Sega's exclusive basket ball sport game, based on the show with the same name. The game had many of the teams of the time, and was generally well-regarded in some ways, but not enough to continue a successful franchise. Fro what I played, I didn't get a glimpse of the game's complexity in controls, and generally found defense to be lacking.

Still, my lack of knowledge of both basketball and sport action games in general meant this title is not for me.

98- Street Racer! (1996):

• Genre: Kart Racing.

• Publihser: Ubisoft, Developer: Vivid Image.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-StreetRacerpng-noscale

This is a game that was released on every console under the sun. Street Racer! was one of those kart racers that just happened to be made after Mario Kart. What made this one more unique was the looney tunes style brawling in the game, which involved a lot more frequent fighting and less actual racing.

I played the game and didn't like it much. The tracks were hectic and confusing, the driving wasn't fun, and everything was too chaotic for me to get a grip on anything. Mostly, I think the zoomed in camera made things worse, and the game lacked charisma.

97- Gex! (1996): Check the Review

• Publihser: Crystal Dynamics, Developer: Crystal Dynamics, Beam Software.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-GexEURDW06610004png-noscale

Ooh how did this Gecko dissapear. Before his premature demise, Gex was another one of the attitude era mascots, starting with the decent Gex! on the ill-fated 3DO. Because this game did not blindely follow the 3D craze and instead opted for a solid 2D game, it survived the ravishes of time and is a good game even now.

What it lacks in innovation or depth, it has in some attitude.

96- Hexen: Beyond Heretic (1997):

• Genre: FPS.

• Publihser: id Software, Developer: Raven Software.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-Hexenjpg-noscale

For some reason, there was a trend of porting early PC FPS games like Doom into consoles, in the process distorting them beyond any parity and producing several inferior versions of the game. Hexen: Beyond Heretic is such a game, one that has multiple better versions that should be played rather than this one.

The game itself was pretty divisive, with some really liking it and other hating its guts.

95- The Horde (1995):

• Genre: RTS.

• Publihser: Crystal Dynamics, Developer: Toys for Bop.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-TheHordejpg-noscale

I have to say that this is one game I wish I could learn how to play. It is a very interesting concept. First, you build your city and you defenses, and then have to defend them in real time action gameplay. Its a uniqe mach-up of genres that was very well-recieved back in the day. However, it lacks many of the quality-of-life features we take for granted today, and it is a serious pain trying to learn how to play it.

Also, the game is ported elsewhere, with the PC having a better version of the game.

94- High Velocity-Mountain Racing Challenge (1996):

• Genre: Arcade Racing.

• Publihser: Atlus, Developer: Cave.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-HighVelocityjpg-noscale

There are many arcade racers in the fifth generation that look very similar, but play differently with their racing mechanics. High Velocity is fast and furious, with some serious skill needed to beat the relentless computer. Of course, you can get a lot of practice in one of the only three courses available, using samey boxy cars, in a game that reuses its assets more than washed-out comedian uses their jokes.

Seriously, this game is a shell of a full game, with less content than a typical demo-disk in the day.

93- Pandemonium! (1996): Check my Review

• Publihser: Crystal Dynamics, Developer: Toys for Bob.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-PandemoniumUSADW07560005png-noscale

This is one game that I played a little back then, but never ocmpleted. As such, I remeber that it was a game that I had fun with, but not to the extent that I wanted to finish it. That perception is more justified now, as the game lacks the tightness and challenge necessary to be an attractive platformer.

It also has one level with such damn SCREEEECHING sound.

92- Madden 98' (1997):

• Genre: Sport Action.

• Publihser: EA, Developer: EA.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-Madden98png-noscale

This another game in the storied American Football (handegg) franchise, and so I know little to nothing about it, and am not intrested in playing it. One intresting thing to note about this yearly release is that it is the last one to utilize 2D sprites in a 3D playing field. All later games started using a proper 3D engine.

91- Blazing Heroes/Mystaria: The Realms of Lore (1995): Check my Review

• Genre: TRPG.

• Publihser: Sega, Developer: Sega, Microcabin.

General Games Discussion - Page 18 215528-503177-BlazingHeroesUSADW00490009png-noscale

Finally, with a game that is competent in many levels, but have aged badly without offering anything unique or special to compensate for that. Blazing Heroes was a solid TRPG back in the day, but that is not enough to intice us now, not when there are many games in the genre much worth your time.

With aging graphics, bad dialouge, and a lack of challenge, this is a game that can be enjoyed but will not be remembered. At least its core villain, Lord Bane, is something to admire.

This report is a consolidated review of the top 100 list by Retro Sanctuary. It features the reviews I made for the list, but also has a brief paragraph about each game in the list that I didn't review. For games without an official review, the opinions I express is purely based on some little playing time and general research about the game and its reception at the time.

Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 am

By the way guys, please tell me if its not fine to post these reviews and reports in the General Gaming Discussion page. I don't mean to double post stuff, but Goal Legacy is where all my review series started and that's where I like to post my stuff.

If it annoys anyone, I would gladly stop Smile
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Feel free
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm

BTW Spencer help me understand something as I'm a bit confused are they publishing your lists hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Detroit Become Human, yay or nay?

I'm not sure tbh and I've pretty much followed none of the pre-release footage and what not
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 pm

Firenze wrote:Detroit Become Human, yay or nay?

I'm not sure tbh and I've pretty much followed none of the pre-release footage and what not

I'm a nay tbh, I might one day but atm I have no interest.

Just realised that last day of E3 coincides with the start of the WC.

Can't see me needing anything new in that time tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Firenze wrote:Detroit Become Human, yay or nay?

Depends on reviews for me. Reception to the demo has been very positive but I didn't want any spoilers, probably yay for me.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:BTW Spencer help me understand something as I'm a bit confused are they publishing your lists hmm

No, I am publishing these reviews myself in Goal Legacy and in the Community Blogs at Destructoid.com.

For the reviews, I basically take a random top 100 list of a console, and then go down the list reviewing games I think I may like. For this report, I am basically going down the entire list, detailing even the games I did not play and review.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 pm

One of the best consoles ever? Rank it among

Xbox
Gamecube
X360
X1
PS2
PS3
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Only PS2 is better from that list IMO.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Sony working with AMD's Ryzen CPU tech makes sense now
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm

They also said that they are focusing and supporting PS4 until 2021. I wouldn't expect a PS5 until 2020 which is what I expected anyway.

The reality is they have 5 exclusive AAA games in development which mostly won't be out until 2019 at the earliest, it would be pretty unprecedented to bring out a new console in the middle of that.(and pretty bad business sense)

Nintendo brought out the Switch because well the Wii U was a complete failure and they only had Zelda left which isn't the case with the PS4.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Don't really see a massive need for a PS5 till 2021 anyways.

I wonder if it's worth buying a pro now?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm

If you have a 4K yes, otherwise its useless. I would wait till Black Friday.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm

M99 wrote:If you have a 4K yes, otherwise its useless. I would wait till Black Friday.

Useless part isn't true tbh, the super sampling mode on the Pro is great for 1080p screens. I would argue HDR is a bigger thing than 4K but RG might already have it on his current TV. hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
M99 wrote:If you have a 4K yes, otherwise its useless. I would wait till Black Friday.

Useless part isn't true tbh, the super sampling mode on the Pro is great for 1080p screens. I would argue HDR is a bigger thing than 4K but RG might already have it on his current TV. hmm

Its not worth spending $400 on imo.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 pm

I think the console itself isn't worth that Laughing 4K TV or not, especially for people just upgrading.

Only reason i got one was because i was sick of my fan sounding like Aeroplane starting off and i had the money to do it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 pm

looks as generic as any other battlefield

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Was that supposed to be its Fortnite mode?

:facepalm:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 23, 2018 11:41 pm

They haven't announced that, probably waiting to E3.

EA has to show something lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next