This World Cup - The best in recent history?

+27
Nishankly
VivaStPauli
Hapless_Hans
CBarca
Valkyrja
Winter is Coming
M99
Casciavit
zigra
Zagadka
guest_07
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
El Gunner
S
Art Morte
titosantill
urbaNRoots
LeBéninois
Robespierre
terrance511
BarcaLearning
GRude
Cruijf
Luca
Babun
Kaladin
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best WC in recent memory?

This World Cup - The best in recent history? Vote_lcap81%This World Cup - The best in recent history? Vote_rcap 81% 
[ 17 ]
This World Cup - The best in recent history? Vote_lcap19%This World Cup - The best in recent history? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 21

This World Cup - The best in recent history? Empty This World Cup - The best in recent history?

Post by Kaladin Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 pm

I'm talking about 1994-today, so far the majority of matches have been fire, some incredible games at display, been especially fun.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

This World Cup - The best in recent history? Empty Re: This World Cup - The best in recent history?

Post by Babun Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Result and tension wise in the group stages = yes, quality wise a clear no. You should still wait the end of the tournament for full evaluation.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

This World Cup - The best in recent history? Empty Re: This World Cup - The best in recent history?

Post by Luca Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Cannot be a GOAT tournament without great knockout rounds but certainly this has been an incredible start and a wonderful group stage all in all

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Its been good but I enjoyed '14 more tbh. Other than Spain-Portugal we haven't had any really amazing games. In '14 we had Spain-Holland, France-Switzerland, Holland-Australia, South Korea-Algeria, just to name a few.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by GRude Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Short memories. 2014 group stage was better with more big name teams in the same group more high level matches more attacking play
Only thing better this year is Refs not twerking for BRA71L
GRude
GRude
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am

Im liking this WC in terms of the closeness of the games, the level of the teams, there are basically no easy games. Teams dont just PTB but have good tactical knowledge and effective plans as well as the players good enough to compete with the big teams, pressing, counter attacking, in addition to improved defending. I think all that has resulted in less easy environment for the star players and big teams to show their usual attacking play compared with the past? Quite a few upsets already, and it should get even better come the KO stages.

Add to that the new VAR, some of the dramas, the teams giving it their all, and some have been quality games in terms of chances created, and goal mouth chaos etc. Very Happy

Russia looks a little dodgy with all their reputation on the doping and their incredible showing so far, need to keep an eye on them to see how they continue Razz

Argentina v Nigeria will be huge due to the circumstances and Im sure more high stakes games left in the last group matches.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:27 pm

2002 for me. maybe because it's my 1st.
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Not even close to France ' 98 , the GOAT cup
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 pm

2002 for me because I was a kid and it was my 1st time. I barely watch more than 10 games tho but they were the best.

This WC is on par with 2014 groupe stage ( slightly better in 2014 ) . Let's see the rest

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Another cracking game :bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 pm

So far, best World Cup in my lifetime for sure!
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Still too early for this. The group stage in 06 was pretty good too matter of fact 06 I thought was a good tournament. We'll have to wait till the end to discuss. And I agree with babuns point. I liked 2014 too
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Anyway even if I don't rate it as the best WC seen from me, I rate it very good so far.
In particular if there is a thing very appreciated by me so far, those are the hours.
And who has my same time zone ( so French , German ... etc ) probably is going to agree with me.
Basically I've matches on 3 hours : 2 PM , 5 PM and 8 PM.
I love the last match at 8 PM. It begins exactly when I've dinner and it finishes on a perfect hour, not soon but not even late, considering it's summer season and you can do other things ( for example in France it finished a hour later).
Well , about the time combination, it is going to be my favorite cup.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 am

It's been very good, but 2014 group stage was probably even better. We'll see what happens in the last round of the groups. But 2014 group stage was insanely good.

www.goallegacy.net/t36120-rate-wc2014-out-of-10

52% of GL gave 2014 World Cup a score of 9 out of 10, so it's a bit premature to be calling this one the best in recent history.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks to VAR, it is imo.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Art Morte wrote:It's been very good, but 2014 group stage was probably even better. We'll see what happens in the last round of the groups. But 2014 group stage was insanely good.

www.goallegacy.net/t36120-rate-wc2014-out-of-10

52% of GL gave 2014 World Cup a score of 9 out of 10, so it's a bit premature to be calling this one the best in recent history.

52% of GL was on drugs lol
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 pm

After the abomination of a WC which 2010 was. I think WC14 felt like prime 98 and 2006 put together
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:43 pm

2014 was great, not just GL thinks that go anywhere and most will give you a similar response.

It's between that and 2006 for the best WC of the 2000s and the rest aren't close.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:45 pm

-50% for both of you
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:55 am

wherever & whenever riquelme played, that would be the best tournament

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am

98 was the best. Not even youthful goggles either...it was a great fun tournament.

This one is pretty great though. Much better than 06,10,14 so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm

What a tournament !!!!

and to think Portugal and Argentina were so close to going out too !
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Cant be definite tbh, but personally think this has been the best, at least in terms of the competitiveness and the dramas, another night of tense final games and upset.

Yet again the holder goes out in the groups, and this time Germany at bottom of their group losing to Korea looool, Sweden top, just amazing.

Dont think Germany has ever miss or exited a WC this early?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Easily the best of my lifetime

UFFFFFFFFFF
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:47 pm

I can't see this not ending up as the greatest of all time.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next