McLewis
39 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Racism Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Racism Thread

Post by Young Kaz Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:49 am

Vibe wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:
Vibe wrote:There is racism, and there is people looking for racism where there isn't any. The second one disgusts me almost as much as the first one.

Only thing that can make me dislike someone is their personality, nothing else. I just hate Indians. What's up with them, FFS.

But times of tolerance are long gone. If people see the slightest opportunity to get offended, they will and they will milk every last ounce and make a big deal out of it. Not just about racism, but in general.

Anyway, forgiveness is the way forward. Hate is soul poison. I've never hated anyone, and I've always forgiven everything, and life has always paid me back for this... I don't think I've ever felt bad in my life, I've never been sad, I've never been miserable. Most of it comes from within.

The sooner you forgive, the sooner you forget and lessen the impact of bad things.

It really is that simple. Forgiveness is the road to a happier life.

What do you mean times of tolerance are gone? You have never lived one second of your life outside of the 21st century son...

Forgive me, father from another century. :bow:

Do you think the 20th century was more tolerant than the world you live in now in the 21st century?

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Absolutely. 100%.

As I said, I was talking generally. The 20th century was a time of some serious misconceptions but on a human to human level, there was more tolerance, for sure.

As I said in my first post, I was talking in general, not structly racism.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Vibe wrote:There is racism, and there is people looking for racism where there isn't any. The second one disgusts me almost as much as the first one.

Only thing that can make me dislike someone is their personality, nothing else. I just hate Indians. What's up with them, FFS.

But times of tolerance are long gone. If people see the slightest opportunity to get offended, they will and they will milk every last ounce and make a big deal out of it. Not just about racism, but in general.

Anyway, forgiveness is the way forward. Hate is soul poison. I've never hated anyone, and I've always forgiven everything, and life has always paid me back for this... I don't think I've ever felt bad in my life, I've never been sad, I've never been miserable. Most of it comes from within.

The sooner you forgive, the sooner you forget and lessen the impact of bad things.

It really is that simple. Forgiveness is the road to a happier life.
its funny how people from other countries feel about other people i think people know by now where my hatred lays but i think indians are great people. tbh i dont think ive ever had a problem with any indians.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Nishankly wrote:
Vibe wrote:

Sad

Not all of us are all bad imho.

---

But then again I assume most opinions about Indians are formed from the local shop owners and the internet. Unless you tag along the Roma people with as well for the East.

We have 80% of the country in middle and poor class with 70% living in rural areas without education but free internet! Its obvious you're more likely to meet people who can't behave socially when your developed countries are handing out visas like candy to 0 skilled & minimum wage labour force.

Move to America and this negative perception about India changes majorly.

----

I have been racially profiled at Tallinn airport in Estonia. I was the only brown person in the flight and the only one that called into a room for a security check during domestic travel within EU. I had a couple of instances in Budapest as well where I was singled out in clubs by security just to confirm even though I hadn't even had my first drink Laughing

I understand about safety so I don't really have a problem with any of this. I laugh it out with the person checking me.

Everyone has prejudices, that's fair but its about giving a chance to everyone you meet before judging them. If you don't give a chance and have an opinion before meeting then you're just a waste of space right now who belongs to an era 100 years back.

FFS I kidd the Indians, I love you guys.

Only thing I hold against you is creating those soap opera's where an episode is like an hour and a half, and one hour of that time is people just giving each other looks.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Myesyats wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:She shoots because Texas police are taught to shoot by instinct.

Even so, shouldn't the instinct be to aim for the legs? That way you can't really kill anybody but you're able to efficiently stop a potential aggressor. What about back up, take cover, warning shot? This seems like cold blooded murder all around.
in america they have a saying. keep shooting till it quits moving because ammo is cheaper than health insurance. Very Happy
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 pm

futbol_bill wrote:If he’s a mate of yours, that’s enough reasonable grounds to bring him in!

i have never been convicted of any crime Wink
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Vibe wrote:
Nishankly wrote:
Vibe wrote:

Sad

Not all of us are all bad imho.

---

But then again I assume most opinions about Indians are formed from the local shop owners and the internet. Unless you tag along the Roma people with as well for the East.

We have 80% of the country in middle and poor class with 70% living in rural areas without education but free internet! Its obvious you're more likely to meet people who can't behave socially when your developed countries are handing out visas like candy to 0 skilled & minimum wage labour force.

Move to America and this negative perception about India changes majorly.

----

I have been racially profiled at Tallinn airport in Estonia. I was the only brown person in the flight and the only one that called into a room for a security check during domestic travel within EU. I had a couple of instances in Budapest as well where I was singled out in clubs by security just to confirm even though I hadn't even had my first drink Laughing

I understand about safety so I don't really have a problem with any of this. I laugh it out with the person checking me.

Everyone has prejudices, that's fair but its about giving a chance to everyone you meet before judging them. If you don't give a chance and have an opinion before meeting then you're just a waste of space right now who belongs to an era 100 years back.

FFS I kidd the Indians, I love you guys.

Only thing I hold against you is creating those soap opera's where an episode is like an hour and a half, and one hour of that time is people just giving each other looks.

No but its true regardless of you baiting me imo. The prejudice is fair. I have some prejudices against my fellow Indians but I always give them a chance.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Vibe wrote:Absolutely. 100%.

As I said, I was talking generally. The 20th century was a time of some serious misconceptions but on a human to human level, there was more tolerance, for sure.

How could you claim this to be true when you had NO interaction on a human to human level in the 20th century?

What you know to be true would only have to come from a picture painted for you by external influences. Since you are living in a rather racially homogenous country it would have come from someone living in an even more racially homogenous society of that past.

Let me tell you on a human to human level what was going on last century, during my lifetime as a guy who isnt even old yet.

Nazis were recruiting at Stamford Bridge well into the 90's. John Barnes had to deal with "Everton are white" and bananas thrown at him into the late 80's. Do you know this is the same nation which has held Bernado silva to task this week for racism? To think things were better on a people to people level back then, on your continent, is simply absurd. You need to have a long hard look in the mirror, and at the people who told you that rubbish.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:09 pm

i bet RG saw this thread and though fucking hell unique is gonna give me a headache eco smile
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Young Kaz wrote:

How could you claim this to be true when you had NO interaction on a human to human level in the 20th century?

What you know to be true would only have to come from a picture painted for you by external influences. Since you are living in a rather racially homogenous country it would have come from someone living in an even more racially homogenous society of that past.

Let me tell you on a human to human level what was going on last century, during my lifetime as a guy who isnt even old yet.

Nazis were recruiting at Stamford Bridge well into the 90's. John Barnes had to deal with "Everton are white" and bananas thrown at him into the late 80's. Do you know this is the same nation which has held Bernado silva to task this week for racism? To think things were better on a people to people level back then, on your continent, is simply absurd. You need to have a long hard look in the mirror, and at the people who told you that rubbish.

Well then we can just disregard history alltogether. I'm not having this conversation anymore, wtf... It seems the times of logic are long gone as well .
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Young Kaz wrote:That(Guyger) whole trial was terrible. From the judge, to the brother, to the sentence. A true miscarriage of justice.

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to my mind was the recent Bernardo Silva controversy in Football.

Bernardo posted this:
The Racism Thread - Page 2 584

That is horrific, and put together with him saying Mendy was naked when wearing a black shirt(when mendy's skin color isnt that black at all) says all you need to know about Bernardo. He's a racist. The tweet is one thing, but I have never met a person who makes a statement like the shirt thing who did no have racial animus in their heart. When you are a minority you can always tell specific buzwords to when a person has hatred in their heart. Its the same way when somebody(Trump,Sepi,Lester Maddox,ect) tells an ethnic minority to go back to where they came. It doesnt matter if a person was born, and raised in a location, if you are not white you are the other.

Another thing Ive noticed is I have never met a person(nonasian) with an Asian wife or significant other who didnt, at the same time, hate Asians. When I was younger I thought they just hated Asian men, but listening to the guys talk it was never about appreciating Asian-womenhood. It always came down to white women and how they are too "Feminist" or Sleep with black men too much" or something even more absurd. God help their kids.

The racist is the small(er) issue. How society reacts is the big one.

Mendy has to laugh when Bernardo likens his childhood picture to that of a racial stereotype because if he doesnt he is seen in the worse light for not taking the joke.

Sterling, who knows more than anyone the danger of racism in society, has to speak out in support of a bigot just for team unity.

Pep simply vindicated Yaya Toure through all of this. A fantastic footballing mind, perhaps, but hes proved what kind of leader he really is. Not flattering.

A generation of black Britons lose an idol in John Barnes because he cant look past the own abuse he suffered to understand what young men today go through.

At the end of the day the Bernardo story is like the Guyger and every other racist episode. No winners exist in any of this. Bernardo needs to face multiple matches with a ban, and should be forced to attend a class during this time.

So I don't know really know what the context around conguitos is beyond it being a chocolate candy from Spain. Is there a racial component to its history? It seems to me that Bernardo is comparing Mendy's skin tone to that of a chocolate candy. I can't speak to the commonality of this in European culture, but it's pretty common in African American culture. My brother and cousin used to make fun of the shape of my head when I was a kid, they said it looked like a milk dud, a candy. Now granted, both of them are black. I've never had a white friend or acquaintance say something like that to me, but if they had, it would've been just as annoying, but I probably wouldn't have considered it racist.

Again though, I think the context matters here. I took one look at conquitos and it immediately reminded me in likeness of Sambo, which does have very offensive racial connotations here in the US. So I can understand the natural reaction to this from black folks who are saying Bernardo is wrong for doing it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Vibe wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:

Well then we can just disregard history alltogether. I'm not having this conversation anymore, wtf... It seems the times of logic are long gone as well .

I'm neutral in your discussion with Kaz, but I will point out that racism is an emotional issue above all else. When someone is truly racially abused, that comes from a place of pure emotion both on the side of the abuser (hate) and the abused (pain). Logic has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you try to approach a racial issue from a position of logic, you will come away frustrated, just as you have here.

Just my 2 cents.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Yeah, despite the 2 world wars.

Countless wars and genocides.

Many countries practicing slavery.

Religion based split on many countries.

Language based fight between cultures.

It was 20th century that was more tolerant.

You need some lessons in History.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Adit wrote:

Yeah, despite the 2 world wars.

Countless wars and genocides.

Many countries practicing slavery.

Religion based split on many countries.

Language based fight between cultures.

It was 20th century that was more tolerant.

You need some lessons in History.

I usually agree with Vibe on these things, but here he is way off.

On top of all those things:

early 20th century women couldn't vote in most places.

racial, gender, and religion based discrimination was WAY higher than it is now.

It was by far the bloodiest century in history
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Mid 20th century women weren’t even allowed to wear pants. Clearly, there were more issues in the past, but I think Vibe is correct in pointing out that peoples’ tolerance was substantially higher than it is today when it comes to more nitpicky issues relating to subjective emotions.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:30 pm

People's tolerance was higher if you were the majority in a homogeneous place.

If you were a minority, people's tolerance ended the moment they saw and interacted with you.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

I said the times of tolerance are far gone, I did not divide it between the 20th and 21st century.

I was talking more in the terms of late 20th century compared to today.

The 21st century is 1/5 on it's way. A bomb could drop tomorrow and this could be the last century.

The history of humanity is a bloodbath, and I said I am not speaking on a large scale. Not wars, not global events. I was talking about respect beetween two neighbours for example. Wars are decided by 10 men in a room. Not the people.

If we don't know what are we talking about then we shouldn't even talk about it.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

rincon wrote:People's tolerance was higher if you were the majority in a homogeneous place.

If you were a minority, people's tolerance ended the moment they saw and interacted with you.

I’m pretty sure Vibe was referring to the tolerance level of the minorities, not the other way around.

Corrected: Looks like he meant tolerance in general. I think it’s extremely evident that people have become less tolerant and more sensitive to emotional harm and inconveniences caused by others, in general. I don’t believe the modern day nitpicking about what qualifies as sensitive or disrespectful behaviour has existed to such a large degree in the past.

Western societies, in particular, have become more sensitive than ever before. We live in the age of information, and our modern day, convenient, communication tools have played a great part in making us more sensitive to topics that were tolerated or considered trivial in the past - when blatant discrimination was much more socially accepted by the majority that you refer to, who weren’t as mindful about their actions being potentially hurtful or discriminatory.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 pm

McLewis wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:That(Guyger) whole trial was terrible. From the judge, to the brother, to the sentence. A true miscarriage of justice.

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to my mind was the recent Bernardo Silva controversy in Football.

Bernardo posted this:

That is horrific, and put together with him saying Mendy was naked when wearing a black shirt(when mendy's skin color isnt that black at all) says all you need to know about Bernardo. He's a racist. The tweet is one thing, but I have never met a person who makes a statement like the shirt thing who did no have racial animus in their heart. When you are a minority you can always tell specific buzwords to when a person has hatred in their heart. Its the same way when somebody(Trump,Sepi,Lester Maddox,ect) tells an ethnic minority to go back to where they came. It doesnt matter if a person was born, and raised in a location, if you are not white you are the other.

Another thing Ive noticed is I have never met a person(nonasian) with an Asian wife or significant other who didnt, at the same time, hate Asians. When I was younger I thought they just hated Asian men, but listening to the guys talk it was never about appreciating Asian-womenhood. It always came down to white women and how they are too "Feminist" or Sleep with black men too much" or something even more absurd. God help their kids.

Mendy has to laugh when Bernardo likens his childhood picture to that of a racial stereotype because if he doesnt he is seen in the worse light for not taking the joke.

Sterling, who knows more than anyone the danger of racism in society, has to speak out in support of a bigot just for team unity.

Pep simply vindicated Yaya Toure through all of this. A fantastic footballing mind, perhaps, but hes proved what kind of leader he really is. Not flattering.

A generation of black Britons lose an idol in John Barnes because he cant look past the own abuse he suffered to understand what young men today go through.

At the end of the day the Bernardo story is like the Guyger and every other racist episode. No winners exist in any of this. Bernardo needs to face multiple matches with a ban, and should be forced to attend a class during this time.

So I don't know really know what the context around conguitos is beyond it being a chocolate candy from Spain. Is there a racial component to its history? It seems to me that Bernardo is comparing Mendy's skin tone to that of a chocolate candy. I can't speak to the commonality of this in European culture, but it's pretty common in African American culture. My brother and cousin used to make fun of the shape of my head when I was a kid, they said it looked like a milk dud, a candy.  Now granted, both of them are black. I've never had a white friend or acquaintance say something like that to me, but if they had, it would've been just as annoying, but I probably wouldn't have considered it racist.

Again though, I think the context matters here. I took one look at conquitos and it immediately reminded me in likeness of Sambo, which does have very offensive racial connotations here in the US. So I can understand the natural reaction to this from black folks who are saying Bernardo is wrong for doing it.

The context is the exact same in America as it is in the Iberian peninsula.

Lets not act like spain and Portugal werent running rampant throughout Africa with these negative images, and lets not pretend like the same American culture of minstrels didnt tour and present itself in western europe. Silva is from Portugal, not Papua New Guinea. He knows what those red lips represent. He just has done it so long in private with Mendy and his other racist friends that he didnt think the public would call him out.

If your white friend said it to you in my presence he would catch a fist to the face, but just because I know how damaging it is on a generational level. It teaches a group to accept their inferiority in face of other groups. Asians have this bad, and as seen in the guyger trial Black people have it too. Do you think if it somebody who looked like you, or your sister, had killed botham jean they would have been hugging up on you? Do you think the judge would have hugged your sister? I know she wouldnt have hugged my slanted eyed sister. I know that for a fact.

Tariq Nasheed made a fabulous tweet about this:

As ethnic minorities we accept our own inferiority, and in turn it perpetuates what they think of us. Its shameful.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:24 pm

@Vibe

That tolerance between neighbors only existed if your group was on top as the majority, or if you were of the same/gender/creed/sexuality.

We are all now more sensitive because society has shifted more towards equality and now we care about things we didn't care about before. What were those things? discrimination against minority groups that used to be the norm.

So if you were a white straight man in the US or Europe, then the past sure seems more tolerant. But if you were a gay black or brown person then it sure as hell seems like 2019 is MUCH more tolerant than 1990.

Saying that the 20th century was more tolerant is something that can only be said if you were in power (in a societal context). Now we put a mirror up and see how we've been treating women. Everyone shivers at the casual sexual harassment that went on.  So women had to tolerate sexual harassment while we (men) didn't tolerate their plight. People didn't tolerate your sexuality if you were gay, or your religion if you were of a different religion than the majority.

People didn't even tolerate your existence as an equal human being if you were of a minority race, and acted accordingly. What's that story in the US about people being so outraged at a black woman sitting on the front of a bus? that's how little tolerance neighbors had.

It means that some of us are more inconvenienced now but can't continue the casual, one-way, discrimination, but other are finally able to live freely.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Vibe wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:

If you logically think the 20th century was better on a human to human level then your logic left long ago too.

What bigot told you this? Think logically. if racism is such a new thing on a people to people level why did so many people die in the past to get it to this point? You cant just listen to what people say, they have agendas. You had to think really hard about these things. If it doesnt pass the smell test then it is BS. You cant honestly think, throughout history, people were more accepting of others?

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:03 pm

We live in different times... What you guys are talking about what was socially acceptable then, and what is socially acceptable now.

The difference is, what is more socially acceptable now, is 100% more frowned upon than before. It is just not socially acceptable to express it.

Social acceptability is not naturally regulated, it is dictated. If we can't understand this then there is no point discussing, this is the underline, otherwise this is a surface level discussion, which is pointless.

Modern racism and slavery is not an obvious thing, however if you have a genuine understanding of how thing work today and how they worked throughout history, you would understand that this is as bad as it ever was.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
McLewis wrote:

Bernardo posted this:

So I don't know really know what the context around conguitos is beyond it being a chocolate candy from Spain. Is there a racial component to its history? It seems to me that Bernardo is comparing Mendy's skin tone to that of a chocolate candy. I can't speak to the commonality of this in European culture, but it's pretty common in African American culture. My brother and cousin used to make fun of the shape of my head when I was a kid, they said it looked like a milk dud, a candy.  Now granted, both of them are black. I've never had a white friend or acquaintance say something like that to me, but if they had, it would've been just as annoying, but I probably wouldn't have considered it racist.

Lets not act like spain and Portugal werent running rampant throughout Africa with these negative images, and lets not pretend like the same American culture of minstrels didnt tour and present itself in western europe. Silva is from Portugal, not Papua New Guinea. He knows what those red lips represent. He just has done it so long in private with Mendy and his other racist friends that he didnt think the public would call him out.

If your white friend said it to you in my presence he would catch a fist to the face, but just because I know how damaging it is on a generational level. It teaches a group to accept their inferiority in face of other groups. Asians have this bad, and as seen in the guyger trial Black people have it too. Do you think if it somebody who looked like you, or your sister, had killed botham jean they would have been hugging up on you? Do you think the judge would have hugged your sister? I know she wouldnt have hugged my slanted eyed sister. I know that for a fact.

As ethnic minorities we accept our own inferiority, and in turn it perpetuates what they think of us. Its shameful.

I agree entirely with what you and Tariq are saying. This isn't the first time that someone like Silva has done something like this and then hid behind ignorance or a notion that the action was harmless. I'm under no illusions, trust me. What I will tell you though is that I don't know enough about the history behind Conquitos to effectively talk about this particular topic though. It may share a commonality with Sambo, but I want to dig into that more and educate myself.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 pm

McLewis wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:
McLewis wrote:

I agree entirely with what you and Tariq are saying. This isn't the first time that someone like Silva has done something like this and then hid behind ignorance or a notion that the action was harmless. I'm under no illusions, trust me. What I will tell you though is that I don't know enough about the history behind Conquitos to effectively talk about this particular topic though. It may share a commonality with Sambo, but I want to dig into that more and educate myself.

The tshirt thing was what did it with me.

If you watch the video you can see how annoyed/hurt mendy was by what he was saying. He tried to turn it around like "Im so beautiful", but anybody who has been racially abused knows that look he had on his face. Its heartbreaking honestly.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Yup, there was definitely some pain there and that's what I mean when I say racism is a viscerally emotional act. It's pure emotion and its often hard to hide it or shield others from your emotions when it happens to you.

I feel terrible for Mendy. He didn't deserve that at all and that's regardless of what the intent was.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Feel like this belongs here:

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin