Lex
Nishankly
McLewis
RealGunner
Kick
24 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 pm

I honestly don't waste my energy debating this anymore. I'm all for pointing out the discrepancy, but I don't get into the back and forth. It's never productive.

I'm just here to support women's football.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Wed May 19, 2021 9:20 pm

NWSL thoughts from Matchday 1:

- Rough start for my Chicago Red Stars, who got waxed 5-0 by Portland, who look like championship material with ease. They have so many weapons up front that they hurt Chicago with. AD Franch in goal with a hell of an assist as well for their 3rd goal. Crystal Dunn did absolutely everything, but score. Lindsey Horan looked just unplayable. As for Chicago, only Mal Pugh and Sarah Gorden put in a true effort. There was no leadership and that's before Julie Ertz went off. They need to rethink their approach to games like this. They looked shell-shocked.

- OL Reign drew with North Carolina, but look set to reload with Rose Lavelle coming in and Sam Mewis going back to NC. OL are going to probably have the best midfield in the league with Lavelle, Le Sommer, Maroszan, Rapinoe and so many others. Cascadia Cup against Portland this weekend will be must see.

- Racing Louisville are picking up Ebony Salmon from Bristol City and it looks like they need her. They looked good against Kansas City, but she's going to improve them for sure up top.

- Trinity Rodman showed just how much of a star-in-the-making she is with a great performance for Gotham against Houston Dash. She's far stronger than she looks and was very hard to push off the ball.

- Orlando Pride will definitely be depending once again on Syd Leroux and Alex Morgan. They will probably flatter to deceive again. They drew with Washington Spirit, who don't look like they're going to be competitive this season.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 pm

Best goal of Matchday 2 so far:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:12 pm

Some quick updates as I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I've wanted to, despite watching a ton of women's football since that last post. These updates are going to be NWSL centric as the European leagues are off season and I haven't quite got into the Mexican league yet though I'm sure I will at some point.

- Chicago Red Stars have rounded into form after that Matchday 1 beatdown by Portland. They just beat the Washington Spirit 3-1 while missing the likes of Alyssa Naeher, Casey Krueger, Tierna Davidson and Julie Ertz. The biggest helper to the team has been a player called "Own goal".

- Syd Leroux has been on an absolute rampage. She needs to be a centerpiece in the US's post-Olympic roadmap.

- Trinity Rodman (yes that Rodman), Sophia Smith and Mal Pugh have all made strong claims for spots in the US team as well with super solid performances throughout the season as the NWSL has not stopped play during the Olympics.

- 15 year old Olivia Moultrie won her case against the NWSL, which did not want her to play as she was too young. She has so far made 2 appearances for the Portland Thorns.

- In the Olympics, Sweden have looked the best side in the tournament, thumping the US 3-0 in the group's opening match and going on to win all of their matches with relative ease. The Netherlands went out to the US in the QF, but they looked a real threat throughout the tournament up to that point. They're going to be favorites for the Euros for sure along with France. Sweden faces Canada, who beat the US yesterday morning, in the gold medal match. The US will face Australia in the Bronze medal match.

Last, but certainly not least, OL Reign's use of their connection with mother club Lyon are finally reaping dividends, as evidence by Eugenie Le Sommer's absolute rinsing of Louisville's Erin Simon below:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Was gonna watch the final tonight. Thursday 22:00 was the perfect time i was even a little hyped. But they change to friday 21:00 and the probability to have other plans is very high

Good luck to the canadian ladies. I read Sinclair is the GOAT or so. Thank god they are there to save soccer in Canada. The men team is struggling in concacaf, says it all.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:12 am

Sinclair is indeed the GOAT. Best striker of all time. Better than Hamm and Wambach, for me.

Sweden work really well as a unit, but if Canada learn form the mistake we made against Sweden when they thumped us, they can and will beat them. They have a far deeper team.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:16 am

USA-Australia was a spectacle, for sure. Didn't wake up for it, but recorded it on DVR and watched before work.

Sam Kerr will likely surpass Sinclair. Sinclair is the GOAT, but Kerr is her heir, I believe. There's Miedema and Morgan in that convo of course, but as a finisher, Kerr is just better than all of them.

Oh and Rapinoe pulling off an Olimpico was the swagger the US were missing throughout this whole tournament. Not great defensively, but that was the performance of team that looked a lot more loose and relaxed. I do feel bad for Australia as well. They need depth. They were decimated by injuries by the time this match came around and they still put up a solid fight. If they can grow their pool with the talent I saw out there today, they can be real force.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:58 am

Canada is champion in soccer. Let that sink in

The shoot-out was tense as hell. We were in the shits until Rose scored a stone cold penalty. Then a girl named Grosso came to finish the job Proud congrats ladies they achieve something i thought impossible
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 am

McLewis wrote:USA-Australia was a spectacle, for sure. Didn't wake up for it, but recorded it on DVR and watched before work.

Sam Kerr will likely surpass Sinclair. Sinclair is the GOAT, but Kerr is her heir, I believe. There's Miedema and Morgan in that convo of course, but as a finisher, Kerr is just better than all of them.

Oh and Rapinoe pulling off an Olimpico was the swagger the US were missing throughout this whole tournament. Not great defensively, but that was the performance of team that looked a lot more loose and relaxed. I do feel bad for Australia as well. They need depth. They were decimated by injuries by the time this match came around and they still put up a solid fight. If they can grow their pool with the talent I saw out there today, they can be real force.
I dont watch women soccer often but Marta is not considered the GOAT?

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 am

Clutch wrote:
McLewis wrote:USA-Australia was a spectacle, for sure. Didn't wake up for it, but recorded it on DVR and watched before work.

I dont watch women soccer often but Marta is not considered the GOAT?

Sorry, should've clarified.

As far as 10s go in the women's game, yeah Marta's the undisputed GOAT. As far as 9s go, it's Sinclair easily.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:41 pm

loved watching most of the Olympic games, aside from the first USA-Aus game. They were all great :bow:

I don't think I need to tell you I am a huge Sam Kerr fan, but Australia need to do a better job of supporting her, because if you stifle her, Australia have got nothing.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Agreed. Australia seem to be really struggling to find a good way to support her. She should be a superstar there yet she's far more appreciated here in the US and in the UK.

We Chicago Red Stars fans particularly still talk about her reverently.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:12 am

Man City out of the Champions League after all the moves they made and the hype. Crazy stuff.

Crashed out to a Real Madrid side making their first appearance in the comp. And after having no pre-season matches.

Wow.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:23 am

Looks like DAZN has the streaming rights for the UWCL.

Their Youtube channel will be airing all matches, group stage to final.

Pretty awesome. Even better coverage than the Conference League Laughing
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Truly incredible how wide of the mark the majority of these ratings are:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am

Good matchday in WSL.

Chelsea put a beatdown on Man United and Arsenal inflicting similar on just a really timid Man City. United and City face each other next weekend. That should be interesting. Arsenal adding Tobin Heath to an already strong side signal a clear intent. They are going to be a real threat to Chelsea. There's also Hope Powell's Brighton side, who look like the surprise packages this season along with Everton.

Over in NWSL - OL Reign finally look like the world beaters they've been threatening to be all this season. They look unstoppable going into the playoffs. They surely have to be favorites right now. My Chicago Red Stars excised some demons by beating the same Portland side that humiliated them on Matchday 1. They look like a very solid playoff side now though I don't think they're going to go all the way.

For anyone that wants to watch more Women's Football, I've found this is a great source for finding good streaming options that aren't dodgy links - https://www.womenssoccertv.info/
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am

Some shit went down in the NWSL today. This report from Meg Linehan gives a good rundown:

Reaction from the NWSL Player's Association:

Response from the NWSL Commissioner Lisa Baird:

Keep in mind, Baird new about these allegations against Riley for 6 months. She did nothing about it.

Here's the reaction from the North Carolina Courage, Riley's current team:

And the reaction from US Soccer, the governing body over the NWSL:

As the Athletic article at the top points out, the league knew about Riley's proclivities well before he became coach at North Carolina as both players who came forward played under him at Portland. At that time, Lisa Baird (NWSL Commissioner) was informed of his behavior. She did nothing about it. Merrit Paulson (owner of the Portland Thorns and MLS' Portland Timbers) not only did nothing about it, but remained on friendly terms with Riley, even after he was let go from the Thorns and was hired at North Carolina. The Courage ownership group also knew about the behavior, but made no effort to do anything about it.

As a result, there's a reckoning under way. There is a real possibility this weekend's matches may not go forward as the players could strike. Baird has been receiving pressure from fans and players to resign as commissioner. It hasn't come from the ownership groups yet, but depending on if that happens, it will decide the fate of this league. If things go badly, it could potentially fold altogether. The best way to save it is for Baird to step down and new leadership brought in to put the reforms in place needed to protect these players. A serious inquest needs to be done at every club as well to root out the others who are preying on these players in the same way Riley and Richie Burke (Washington Spirit's former coach) have been.

If I'm the exec of a European Club watching all of this, I have to be watching with great interest as we could see a mass exodus of some of the best talent in the world come to Europe should the NSWL collapse. That would be a major win for European clubs and the UWCL. It would enhance the quality of the WSL, L1 Arkana, Frauen Bundesliga, Liga Femina, Serie A Femminile and other leagues significantly. Part of me wants to see that as I do think European clubs are doing an overall better job with the women's game at this point (even if there's still a looooooooooong way to go), but part of me really hope the right changes happen in the NWSL. This is a very fun league to watch and support.  It has the best concentration of talent in the women's game right now.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:14 am

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:26 am

I kept hearing that women's team could never fill out stadiums like men's teams can, but I'm glad to see that's changing. This belief is particularly prevalent here in the US as well as in the UK.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 am

Myesyats wrote:
this tweet gave the real madrid team a catalan name, so weird to see Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:36 am

That Barca team are going to win their 2nd CL this year. No one looks capable of beating them imo outside of maybe Lyon.

They have looked absolutely unstoppable. Just a good spine of world class players too.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 am

Update:

Fabulous stuff. Barca about to smash Madrid, but this is very good for the women's game.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 am

This is the 2021 The Best XI:

This XI is a travesty honestly.

- No Barca players.
- No Canada players

Alex Morgan and Carly Lloyd have done nothing to warrant inclusion in this XI so they're there purely because of their popularity. There are literally dozens of American players who should've been considered ahead of them and none of them are named Rapinoe. Marta is legendary, but was not a big factor in Orlando Pride's season in NWSL nor was she as effective for Brazil as well. Putellas has won everything you can win individually and doesn't get in this team...it's pretty ridiculous. No Wolfsburg players either. Just nuts.

Also Canada coach Bev Priestman got snubbed for the Coach of the Year Award. Sarina Wiegman, Lluis Cortes and Emma Hayes all got nominated instead.

I don't have an issue with Cortes or Hayes getting the noms, but Wiegman? That was a real head-scratcher. She's still fresh in the England job and while she took the Netherlands into prominence over the last few years, she fell short at the Olympics. Bev Priestman won gold with Canada. That alone should've gotten her a nomination. It's really telling that the only member of the Dutch voting bloc who voted for Wiegman was the captain. Mark Parsons (current coach), their media representative and even Wiegman herself all voted Priestman. Surreal stuff.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:25 am

Yesterday was a big day for the NWSL players as the league and the Players' Association reached a collective-bargaining deal that was well over a year in the making.

Biggest takeaways:

-60% increase in salary, bringing the minimum up to $35k/yr.
-Free Agency (begins in 2023 season)
- Up to 6 months paid mental health leave
- Up to 8 weeks paid family leave on all births and adoptions.
- Players will no longer have to play on fields that require significant conversion to a regulation football pitch.

These seem like basic things that just about every league has, but the league fought hard against a lot of this as well as continually to fumble is response to the myriad of allegations of harrassment levelled at coaches from half the clubs in the league along with a truly contentious battle for ownership of the Washington Spirit, the league champion.

So yeah this is a huge win for the players. Well deserved as well. This ensures the planned strike will not occur. Today marks the 1st official day of pre-season.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:27 am

Pernille Harder showing out against Man United.

I truly don't think a goal like this gets scored if Casey Stoney was still coach at Man United, but she landed well at San Diego in the NWSL and Harder has done this to far better defenders.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 am

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next