Lex
Nishankly
McLewis
RealGunner
Kick
24 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:35 am

Seismic news here. Hayes is one of the best coaches in the women's game. Probably the one coach that could realistically bring the US forward after that disappointing WC.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Eugenie Le Sommer with some magic for Lyon.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:27 pm

NWSL Playoff semi-finals were great.

Gotham FC, led by USWNT legend Ali Krieger will meet OL Reign, also led by a USWNT Legend in Megan Rapinoe in the Championship game after beating Portland and San Diego respectively. This is the final game for both of their careers as both are retiring after this season. Really high stakes stuff and we're guaranteed a new champion that isn't Portland. Gonna have to go with Gotham on this one. They have more players that I like.

A banger from Katie Stengel (on loan from Liverpool) and a happy accidental worldie from Veronica Latsko were enough for both team to advance.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:19 am

Wild game between England-Netherlands today for Olympic qualifying, which is brain-numbingly confusing. Basically, they had to win this one or they'd go out. Now their fate rests out of their hands of Scotland, who need to lose in order for Team GB to make it. Just crazy stuff.

Italy took out newly minted World Champions Spain 3-2 as well. That's a huge upset. Spain hadn't lost a game since the group stage of the World Cup.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:24 pm

Good game between Arsenal and Chelsea today. Chelsea won 3-1, with Lauren James scoring a brace.

I personally don't think Jonas Eidevall is a good enough coach to do any better with Arsenal than he's currently doing. They need to upgrade their coach or they will never truly be in the title conversation with Chelsea and City.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:47 pm

Also, today is the opening day for the NWSL.

There's now 14 teams in the league:

Angel City (Representing LA)

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Fnews%2F2021%2F06%2Ffeatured-750-2

San Diego Wave

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fa.espncdn.com%2Fcombiner%2Fi%3Fimg%3D%2Fi%2Fteamlogos%2Fsoccer%2F500%2F21423

Bay FC (Represents the Bay Area of San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose)

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

Utah Royals

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.underconsideration.com%2Fbrandnew%2Fwp%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F04%2Futah_royals_logo_before_after

Seattle Reign

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oursportscentral.com%2Fgraphics%2Fteams%2Fnwsl_seattle_reign24

Portland Thorns

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2F202%2F5867%2Ffull%2Fportland_thorns_fc_logo__9736

Houston Dash

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2F202%2F5864%2Ffull%2Fhouston_dash_logo_primary_2021_sportslogosnet-7594

Kansas City Current

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oursportscentral.com%2Fgraphics%2Fteams%2Fnwsl_kansascity_current21

Chicago Red Stars

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvignette.wikia.nocookie.net%2Flogopedia%2Fimages%2F5%2F5a%2FChicago_Red_Stars_2017

Racing Louisville

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2F202%2F6770%2Ffull%2Flouisville_racing_fc_logo_primary_2021_sportslogosnet-7900

Gotham FC (Represents New York City and New Jersey)

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-7gtNegkm4N4%2FYG2FqtoyE6I%2FAAAAAAAC9Ns%2FdoHE-lUJyXUGV4QEMNy2BXNSd4cC67IIQCNcBGAsYHQ%2Fs1600%2FNJNY-Primary

North Carolina Courage

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2F202%2F6455%2Ffull%2F3244_north_carolina_courage-primary-2017

Orlando Pride

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 8 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oursportscentral.com%2Fgraphics%2Fteams%2Fnwsl_orlando_pride19

Gotham are the defending champions, having won their first title after starting last season as the worst club in the league.

San Diego are the Supporters' Shield Winners, having amassed the most points from the regular season table. This is only their 3rd season as a club.

Bay FC and Utah are the 2 newest clubs.

Tonight's match is the UKG Challenge Cup which is essentially the NWSL's version of a European Supercup. The League champion plays the Supporters' Shield winner.

That match will feature Gotham vs San Diego, who are both loaded with lots of USWNT talent. Gotham has Crystal Dunn, Midge Purce, Lynn Williams, Emily Sonnett, Rose Lavelle, and Tierna Davidson. San Diego has Naomi Girma, Alex Morgan, Jaedyn Shaw and Abby Dahlkemper.

Game will be on Amazon Prime. Kick off is in about 15 minutes. Should be a good one.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:55 pm

So San Diego won this game 1-0 off this header from Alex Morgan:

Textbook header from Morgan, who can score those in her sleep. Great delivery from recent transfer Savannah McCaskill, who will probably be among Morgan's primary providers this season. Pretty poor marking from Gotham on that one.

Today, here's the lineup for Matchday 1:

Kansas City Current v Portland Thorns (ESPN+ and ABC here in the US) - Starting now

Racing Louisville v Orlando Pride (NWSL + App) - 4 PM ET

North Carolina Courage v Houston Dash (NWSL + App) - 7 PM ET

Utah Royals v Chicago Red Stars (ION via Tubi or Plex) - 7:30 PM ET
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 pm

Results from Matchday 1:

Kansas City Current 5-4 Portland Thorns

Racing Louisville 2-2 Orlando Pride

North Carolina Courage 5-1 Houston Dash

Utah Royals 0-2 Chicago Red Stars

Seattle Reign 1-0 Washington Spirit

Angel City 0-1 Bay FC

Don't think the league could've asked for a better opening matchday. A great advert for the women's game and it showcased just why this league is the most competitive in the world.

Matchday 2:

Orlando Pride 1-1 Angel City

All I have to say on this one is leaving Marta, one of the GOATs, unmarked anywhere near the box is an absolute choice. Her goal was unsurprisingly stunning.

Utah Royals 2-1 North Carolina Courage

#1 College Draft Pick Ally Sentnor (from University of North Carolina ironically) lived up to her billing in this one. Scored a bonafide banger. NCC just didn't look at sharp, but Ashley Sanchez, their best creative player at the moment, getting a goal is pretty encouraging.

Chicago Red Stars 2-1 Seattle Reign

Chicago are my team in this league so seeing them win their 2nd game to start the season for the first time in their history has been a treat. And this is with their best player, Mal Swanson, yet to score a goal. I will say though that leaving Ji So-Yun, one of the most dangerous finishers from outside the box in the game, unmarked was a foregone conclusion to what happened next.

Washington Spirit 2-1 Bay FC

Exciting win for the Spirit and their rising rookie star Croix Bethune, who I think will get a USWNT call up at some point this year. That kid is a baller. Fellow rookie Hal Hershfelt hit a howitzer into the top left corner in this one too. As for Bay, Asisat Oshoala has been involved in both of their goals so far this season. Has proven to be as advertised: Very tough to keep up with.

Houston Dash vs. Racing Louisville FC 0-0]Houston Dash 0-0 Racing Louisville

The scoreline is misleading. This was a wild game that really should've seen Racing score at least 3 times, but were denied by USWNT's 3rd choice keeper and last year's Keeper of the Year Jane Campbell standing on her head. Racing's rookie forward Reilyn Turner is another one that I expect to get a NT call up at some point this year. She looks and plays like someone that's been doing this for 10 years.

San Diego Wave 1-2 Kansas City Current

Reigning Shield Winners and Challenge Cup holders San Diego came into their first regular season game confident, but were quickly put under foot by a KC side that is big, physical and play with lots of aggression. The forward duo of Brazil's Bia Zaneratto and Malawi striker Temwa Chawinga is terrifying and San Diego experienced that first hand.

Portland Thorns 0-1 Gotham FC

Portland are winless in their first 2 games for the first time in their history. They have been the juggernauts of this league for a very long time, but a new ownership change and roster changes have depleted them noticeably. Reigning champions Gotham were just as depleted, but really got the football god's favor by scoring almost immediately after being saved by VAR on what was arguably the best goal scored all weekend from Sophia Smith. This was balanced out by Gotham losing their star forward Midge Purce to what eventually was announced to be a torn ACL. She's out for the rest of this season and likely a large chunk of next season. Unfortunate as she's one of my favorite players in the league.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm

NWSL Matchday 3 Fixtures

Orlando Pride v Chicago Red Stars

San Diego Wave v Seattle Reign

Kansas City Current v Angel City

North Carolina Courage v Gotham FC

Portland Thorns v Racing Louisville

Bay FC v Houston Dash

Washington Spirit v Utah Royals
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm

Women's Champions League Quarterfinal Recap:

First Leg

Brann 1-2 Barcelona

Caroline Graham Hansen did virtually whatever she wanted against Brann in this one. Scored and assisted with Salma Paraluello getting Barca's second.

Hacken 1-2 PSG

I really liked Hacken in this comp, but they changed up their tactics and PSG punished them for it.

Ajax 0-3 Chelsea

Ajax have arguably been the Cinderella side in this comp given this is their first season in the UWCL and managed survive their group, which included last season's Cinderella club, Roma. They were completely outclassed in this one though as Lauren James ran all over them. Was great to see Cat Macario get an assist here as well, continuing good form post-ACL injury.

Benfica 1-2 Lyon

Really brave performance from Benfica at home to such a juggernaut of a team in this comp. They matched Lyon step for step for the majority of the match, but just couldn't maintain that all the way to the end.

Second Leg

Barcelona 3-1 Brann (5-2 aggregate)

Not much to really say about this one other than Barca was Barca here. Aitana Bonmati was everywhere and her ghost runs caused all sorts of problems for Brann.

PSG 3-0 Hacken (5-1 aggregate)

Hacken stuck to their weird tactical shift and PSG again punished them for it. Tabitha Chawinga particularly stood out.

Chelsea 1-1 Ajax (4-1 aggregate)

Better performance from Ajax, but Chelsea also looked pretty flat too, which isn't surprising as they did the needed work in the fist leg.

Lyon 4-1 Benfica (6-2 Aggregate)

Lyon proved too much for Benfica at home in this one. The worst thing about this for Benfica is Lyon never got out of 2nd gear and still won comfortably. Was great to see Delphine Cascarino get a goal after a rough time with injuries.

Semi-Final Fixtures

Barcelona v Chelsea
Lyon v PSG

Probably the fixtures everyone thought we'd get though I would've preferred the French sides not be paired together on the same side of the table, which led to this match up. I have Lyon winning that one as PSG simply can't get over the hump at the latter end of the comp when facing truly elite opponents. And I say that despite the fact that they're my favorite of these 4 sides.

Barca are going to prove to be too much for Chelsea, again. All I'm hoping for out of this one is that Chelsea make them really work for it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 pm

On National team side of things:

USA have dropped their squad for the 2024 She Believes Cup:

This is a really good squad. They're getting closer to what we need to see in Paris if they're to win gold though all 3 opponents (Japan, Canada, and Brazil) should prove stiff tests.

Positives: I'm really high on Lily Yohannes, who balled out for Ajax in the UWCL. She's probably going to end up being a generational talent for the midfield in much the same way Sophia Smith is becoming that for the forwards. Cat Macario and Mal Swanson's returns are timely as well. That whole forward line is fantastic.

Negatives: I'm not entirely sure why Eva Gaetino gets this call up when there are better defenders in NWSL who really deserve a look. Nothing against her as a player. She has looked good for PSG, but the level of competition in the NWSL is consistently higher, especially for defenders.

England have announced their squad for upcoming Euro 2025 qualifiers against Sweden and Ireland.

Great to see Khiara Keating of Man City get the call. She's been great for them this season. The return of Leah Williamson will be welcome at the back. I haven't been following her much, but interested to see Grace Clinton, if she gets time. She's being hailed at one of the next wunderkinds to watch. That forward line looks great as usual. Great to see Beth Mead back.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm

McLewis, how did you become so interested in women's football?

I've got nothing against women, I tried watching it but the downgrade in quality compared to men's football made it unwatchable for me.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Vibe wrote:McLewis, how did you become so interested in women's football?

I've got nothing against women, I tried watching it but the downgrade in quality compared to men's football made it unwatchable for me.

I took my daughter to a Chicago Red Stars game like 6 years ago and she absolutely loved it. Got autographs from the players, got to play on the pitch at half-time. All of that. That's what hooked me. Since then, I've started watching more and more of it.

I did used to notice the differences in quality, as you mentioned, but I also started actually talking with other fans and one of them asked me a real simple question: "Does it entertain you?". I answered that it did and they responded "That's all that matters then." I watch women's football for the same reason I watch college soccer or lower division football: To be entertained. I realized that I don't need the players to be the fastest, the strongest, the hardest shooters, the best tacklers, etc. in order to be entertained. Football is football.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm

Howitzer from Man City's Bunny Shaw against Liverpool:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:48 pm

This NWSL game between Kansas City and Angel City had absolutely everything.

KC went up 2-0 on ACFC, ACFC got a goal back to make it 2-1 and then scored again to make it 2-2. KC went up again to make it 3-2, ACFC tied it up again for 3-3, but VAR ruled their play offside. KC then went ahead and scored a 4th immediately after that. Game ends 4-2.

2nd game at KC's brand new stadium (built specifically for women's football) where a visiting keeper has had an absolute shocker. The place is becoming a cauldron.

Oh and the VAR screen? In a YETI cooler on the side lines. The ref opens the cooler lid and views the VAR screen, looking directly down.

Only in the NWSL.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:49 am

Week 5 in the NWSL:

Orlando up 1-0 over San Diego. Have looked incisive with the passing, but San Diego are tough to score on more than once. They haven't tested Anna Morehouse much in Orlando's goal.

Last edited by McLewis on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 am

Leg 1 of the UWCL Semis kicks off real early tomorrow for those of us in the US:

Barca-Chelsea kicks off at 7:30 AM ET
Lyon-PSG kicks off at 1 PM ET

DAZN will air both games for free on their UWCL Youtube channel.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8