Thimmy
Pedram
The Demon of Carthage
neuro11
Warrior
15 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤ Empty ¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤

Post by Warrior Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:00 pm

First edition, Euro 2016, was won by rwo_power cheers
Second edition, World Cup 2018, was won by juvealbanian cheers
Third edition, Euro 2020, was won by Lord Awesome cheers

2 stages of the game: general predictions + day to day predictions

GENERAL
* must be completed before the start of Qatar vs Ecuador, on november 20th

World champion: Argentina
Finalist: France
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Croatia vs Morocco
Most goals in the competition (player): Mbappé
Most assists in the competition (player): Messi, Perisic, Kane, Griezmann, Bruno Fernandes

Most goals scored in the group stage (team): England, Spain
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Netherlands, USA, Tunisia, Morocco, Croatia, Brazil
Teams advancing group A: Netherlands, Senegal
Teams advancing group B: England, USA
Teams advancing group C: Argentina, Poland
Teams advancing group D: France, Australia
Teams advancing group E: Japan, Spain
Teams advancing group F: Morocco, Croatia
Teams advancing group G: Brazil, Switzerland
Teams advancing group H: Portugal, South Korea
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Qatar, Wales, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Costa Rica, Canada, Serbia, Ghana
First goal of the competition scored by: Enner Valencia
First red card: Wayne Hennessey

Finalist..... 20 pts
Bronze medal match..... 9 pts each
Most goals/assists in the competition (player)..... 12 pts each (9 if shared)
Most goals for/least goals against after group stage (team)..... 12 pts each (9 if shared)
Teams advancing in each group..… 1/2 = 3 pts ;; 2/2 = 9 pts (rank doesn't count)
Teams finishing last of their groups..... 6 pts each
First goal..... 15 pts
First red card..... 15 pts

MATCH DAYS
* must be completed before kick-off of the first match of the current day

You win points every day by predicting match results and goal scorers. Here's an example.

-Day 1-
Italy vs Belarus: 3-0
Norway vs China: 1-1
Tajikistan vs Nigeria: 0-3

Goal scorers (2 max and not from the same team): Immobile + Haaland

If you get the exact score..... 2 pts extra (so for each match you get either 0, 3 or 5 pts)
Goal scorers..... 3 pts if one correct, 7 pts if both

The best pointer wins this trophy

¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤ Duckaw10

Last edited by Warrior on Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤ Empty Re: ¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤

Post by neuro11 Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Are we allowed to edit the predictions within the deadline

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤ Empty Re: ¤¤ WORLD CUP 2022: The prediction challenge ¤¤

Post by Warrior Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Yes
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil, Belgium
Most goals in the competition (player): Mbappe
Most assists in the competition (player): Messi
Most goals scored in the group stage (team): France
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): England
Teams advancing group A: Netherlands, Ecuador
Teams advancing group C: Argentina, Mexico
Teams advancing group D: France, Denmark
Teams advancing group E: Spain, Germany
Teams advancing group F: Belgium, Croatia
Teams advancing group H: Portugal, Uruguay
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Tunisia, South Korea, Qatar, Saudi Arabia.
First red card: Pepe
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:00 pm

Finalist: Brazil
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Belgium, Netherlands
Most goals in the competition (player): Messi
Most assists in the competition (player): Kevin De Bruyne
Most goals scored in the group stage (team): Argentina
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Brazil
Teams advancing group B: England, Wales
Teams advancing group C: Argentina, Poland
Teams advancing group E: Germany, Spain
Teams advancing group F: Belgium, Canada
Teams advancing group G: Brazil, Serbia
Teams advancing group H: Uruguay, Portugal
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Australia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Morocco
First goal of the competition scored by: Jordy Caicedo
First red card: Harry Maguire
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:31 pm

I wonder how far Japan will go this year. On paper, they have a stronger team than you'd normally expect from them. France seems to have the most depth by far, but I'd probably put my money on Brazil to win it.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:16 am

Bracket is useful, you can see the big picture before predicting
https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2022/bracket-wc-2022/

Finalist: Portugal
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil vs France
Most goals in the competition (player): Benzema
Most goals scored in the group stage (team): Netherlands
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Belgium
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Saudi Arabia, Australia, Switzerland, South Korea
First goal of the competition scored by: Almoez Ali
First red card: Kamil Glik
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:37 am

Finalist: England
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil vs Germany
Golden ball (player): Messi
Most goals in the competition (player): Kane
Most assists in the competition (player): Neymar
Most goals scored in the group stage (team): Brazil
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Netherlands
Teams advancing group D: Denmark, France
Teams advancing group E: Spain, Germany
Teams advancing group H:Uruguay, Portugal
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Tunisia
First red card: Maguire? lol

Honestly I played around with the brackets a bit, and this is shaping up to be a weird knockout round. You always get a surprise in the World Cup. Usually it's a big team not making it past the group stages, or a smaller nation making it to the quarter finals.

I didn't want to spend too much time theorizing which top team will fail to make it out of the group stages. If I had to guess I think Germany have looked very poor, but they have the second best coach after Luis Enrique. So I just went with having the big nations all going through the group stages. Some of my surprise picks are France and Portugal finishing second in their groups. I think Portugal will struggle against Uruguay because Uruguay will park the bus and Fernando Santos can't coach a coherent attack. I'm not sure how I feel about France. They have the most talent, but they are always riddled with drama. Denmark has looked really good in the last few years.

I don't think England or Germany are that good, but with the way my knockout rounds shaped up, England has an easy ride to the semis. Germany would have to play against Belgium in the R16. I think Belgium are over the hill, so unless KDB carries them, I see them going out against Germany in the R16.

Argentina's side of the bracket if France finishes second is awful. Assuming they finish first, they would have to play against France, Netherlands, Spain/Brazil, and England/Germany/Belgium. Laughing

I think a South American team will win. Either Brazil or Argentina. I've gone with Argentina just because I think they have a special camaraderie within their squad, and I've been consistent with them as favorites since they've won the Copa America. Most World Cup games are gritty and tight, and they know how to sit back and defend. Messi will be extra motivated since this is his last WC and his most cohesive team ever at Argentina. I honestly think Di Maria's fitness will be the major question mark moving forward.

I added WC Golden ball to my prediction list. I think Messi will win it if Argentina win the WC, but I don't see him topping top goalscorer or top assister charts because of their likely difficult route. So I went with Kane as top goalscorer, and Neymar as top assister since England and Brazil have easier routes.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:06 am

Its really interesting that so far everyone predicted Argentina as a champion. That (Messis's legacy) emotion affects everyone. was it backed up by the 36-winning streak? I for one want it by heart but feel like they will be under tremendous pressure from Quarterfinal and on. And might not perform as expected. Also, their way to the final is the most difficult one. God knows what drama is awaiting.

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:09 am

neuro11 wrote:Its really interesting that so far everyone predicted Argentina as a champion. That (Messis's legacy) emotion affects everyone. was it backed up by the 36-winning streak? I for one want it by heart but feel like they will be under tremendous pressure from Quarterfinal and on. And might not perform as expected. Also, their way to the final is the most difficult one. God knows what drama is awaiting.

Casciavit wrote:Argentina are easily my favorites. There are some certain ingredients to World Cup winning teams and Argentina shares a lot of those.

- Newfound confidence after winning Copa America and La Finalissima. They used to play with 200KG on their backs. Winning their first international trophies since the 90s has given them a freedom to their play.

- They've been playing with the same spine since Scaloni joined. You don't get a lot of time to train automatisms in international football due to a lack of training, but they have pretty much had the same starting lineup since 2019 Copa America. Familiarity goes a long way. Compare it to the European teams who have a different lineup every match.

- The team's energy seems really positive. I don't think there's a more united-looking dressing room. Messi said it's the best team atmosphere he's ever been part of. You can really see the camaraderie among them.

- They know how to suffer. They are very organized defensively and are willing to put in those extra KM. Not only are they comfortable sitting deep, but they genuinely fight for each other. Look at how they react when Messi gets tackled its a sight to see.

- They have a reliable spine and a lot of fire in the team. Martinez is a good shot stopper and can save penalties. Romero is one of the best CB in the world. Paredes, De Paul, and Lo Celso have the technical security to hold on to the ball, so I don't expect brainfarts from them. Di Maria, Messi, and Lautaro shouldn't be missing sitters.

- Decent bench depth. If they need a better passer in the back they can play Lisandro Martinez ahead of Otamendi. If they need another technician in midfield they can bring on Enzo Fernandez. If they need another threat between the lines they can bring on Papau Gomez or Dybala. If they need another #9 they can bring on Alvarez.

- Messi's last dance. He's looked good this season, and has been great in his recent performances for Argentina. His teammates are willing to die for him. He's especially motivated since it will be his last World Cup.

I don't think there's another team who has as much going for them. Maybe Brazil? No European team seems to have as much going for them.

I was told Argentina's fullbacks might be an issue although Moniel and Tagliafico aren't that bad. They're average. Germany and France played CB's as their Fullbacks, so it's not the end of the world.

Argentina needs their stars to stay fit. Messi and Di Maria are the only guys who can create something out of nothing consistently. Dybala has that talent, but he doesn't really change the outcome of games when he comes on.

If Di Maria and the rest of their spine can stay fit, they're my favorites.

This was my post from another thread a few months ago. They have a lot going for them, but you're right. They do have the most difficult path, and they'll need a lot of luck to go their way.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:19 am

Argentina's win streak isn't that relevant to me. Looking at the past WC winners, it seems like they all underwhelmed a bit before the tournament, and had a slow start to the tournament itself. Spain lost against USA in the confederations cup in 2009, and lost the opener against Switzerland in 2010. Germany were the favorites for Euro 2012, and lost in the semis. Going into the 2014 WC Loew was busy trying to mimic Pep by playing Lahm as a DM, and Goetze as a false 9. Even France had their struggles losing the Euro final. Not many on GL predicted them to win in 2018. In fact, I remember Matuidi playing as a LW was criticized at the time too.

Since you don't get training time it's really all about being defensively stable and peaking in the knockout rounds. I think prime Spain is the only team who could be defensively stable hogging possession. Everyone else has to play transition football. Sit back, rely on your goalie to bail you out when it matters, and have your forwards take their chances when they get it.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:29 am

lol yea surprised everyone is going for Argentina, maybe this will beat the GL jinx into submission

neuro11 wrote: I for one want it by heart but feel like they will be under tremendous pressure from Quarterfinal and on. And might not perform as expected. Also, their way to the final is the most difficult one. God knows what drama is awaiting.

i have this same feeling... i really want it for Messi, but i just feel like he might be cursed not to win after how the 2014 final turned out, and you know with all the weight of GOAT discussions people always mentioning his lack of a WC.

but then on the other side i just feel like this "simulation of life" we live in has been indicating a lot lately that this will be an Argentina - Portugal final, with Messi coming up on top. Like a Hollywood drama, it is written.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:56 am

Yes i want and expect a Messi vs Ronaldo final

Have a feeling that Ronaldo still got gel to put in his hair one last trick up his sleeve and Portugal's team does not look bad
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:32 pm

I’m not making any predictions since I said in another thread, I expect a lot more surprises this time around that I feel predictions are difficult.

I agree with a lot of what Casciavit said.

ESPN did a rating on all countries based on the current team, not taking into consideration the matchups for the tournament. To my surprise they ranked my country 3rd!

The squad has several deficiencies, most notably central defenders and goal scoring forwards. There is not what I would call a true WC level player in entire squad. And yet, generally speaking Enrique has gotten results out of them. All that said, they should be able to make it out of their group in 1st place. However they should be heavily underdogs in an eventual match up against Brazil.

I not impressed with Argentina’s squad either, although they should go far in this tournament. I like Uruguay’s chances against England. I also don’t expect Portugal to go far and thus I lean towards Uruguay to make it thru to final.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:58 pm

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-world-cup-predictions/matches/
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:50 pm

I too feel there will be a lot of surprises and 'upsets' in the world cup but one of the contenders will still end up winning the world cup kinda like the 2002 WC
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:28 pm

Interesting, glad MEssi has so many fans rooting for him Very Happy Although tbh Im afraid its still very hard, Brazil n France n a couple of other teams are just so packed. Arg as usual under huge pressure but its been slightly reduced due to the Copa win n their confidence n believe as a result together with their long run in the past few yrs. So hopefully it happens, would be a dream come true for the world, but head says Brazil/France Razz

Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil vs Portugal
Most goals in the competition (player): Mbappe
Most goals scored in the group stage (team): France
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Argentina
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Iran, Costa Rica, Cameroon, South Korea
First goal of the competition scored by: nfi
First red card: nfi
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Followed my heart. Also, I think one or two big team will be out of the group stage...

Finalist: England
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil vs Belgium
Most goals in the competition (player): Kane
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): Brazil
Teams advancing group E: Spain, Japan
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Australia
First red card: Pepe

Last edited by neuro11 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:05 am

World champion: England
Bronze medal match (2 teams): Brazil, Netherlands
Most goals in the competition (player): Depay
Most assists in the competition (player): Foden
Least goals conceded in the group stage (team): England
Teams advancing group C: Poland, Mexico
Teams advancing group H: Portugal, Uraguay
4 teams that will finish last of their group: Australia, Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia
First red card: Hector Herrera
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:32 am

interesting prediction from Firenze, a repetition of the 2002 WC for Argentina? coming to the WC with lots of hype but being eliminated in the group stage.

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 am

Firenze is a known troll on this forum
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 am

Interesting indeed, Depay top scorer, DEPAY! Its true some Man U fans are still delusional in general? Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Depay has a stellar record for the NT and Netherlands have a relatively easy group, though they do tend to fail on the big stage. Not a crazy take at all.

Change ya name to FirenzeLearning, tired of schooling you.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:51 pm

-Day 1-
Qatar vs Ecuador: 1-1

Goal scorers: Ali + Valencia

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:15 pm

-Day 1-

Qatar 1-0 Ecuador

Goal scorers: Ali, Estrada

If you predict a clean sheet just name the player most likely to score a goal like i did. Must NOT come from the same team
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next