Wilson37
jayp
TalkingReckless
RealGunner
Jay29
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter Empty Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 pm

I had a lot of this typed out already, but my computer decided to be a bastard and crash. So you've got a shorter version of what I had already wrote:

The Game

1) Arsenal's main problem in the game was the inability to retain the ball under pressure. At the same time, the gap between defence and midfield was too large. So when Arsenal inevitably lost the ball, they were immediately suspectable to counter attacks.

2) So while Udinese countered quite often, Arsenal's backline was put on the back foot. The likes of Vermaelen and, later on, Djourou had to make last ditch interceptions and tackles too often. This was because they didn't have the time to set themselves. Had the midfield been a bit deeper and better at keeping the ball, then this wouldn't be much of an issue.

3) This leads me nicely onto the offence. We didn't keep posession very well. Rosicky, Ramsey and Song struggled with the stronger and eager Udinese midfielders and with Chamakh being completely out of form, keeping the ball high up the pitch proved difficult. Arsenal's best form of attack in this game was on the counter with the pace of Walcott and Gervinho down the flanks.

4) All in all, I think we were a bit fortunate tonight to actually come away with a clean sheet. We did dig in and defend well but at the same time there were defensive problems. The defence shouldn't have to keep making last ditch tackles and challenges to protect their goal.

Midfield needs improving
This midfield tonight was lacking a bit of toughness and composure and someone who could just control the tempo of the game. I don't think Rosicky and Ramsey are the players to do this. Ramsey is close but he can't do it alone. Rosicky just didn't do much tonight and Song is average as an attacking force.

And this is going to be the problem until we sign someone. Jack Wilshere will definitely help but depth wise we're going to struggle.

With the midfield not quite functioning, the rest of the team is going to suffer. The forwards are going to be lacking service and the defnce will be lacking cover. If we don't sort this out then we're going to struggle this season.

Injuries
The defence has been looking pretty decent recently but now we've lost Gibbs and Djourou to hamstring problems. Arsenal can now do one of two things:

1) Play Vermaelen left back and Squillaci centre back.

2) Play Jenkinson at left back.

Jenkinson did okay when he came on today but going into games aginst Liverpool, United and the second leg of this tie it's not ideal. Neither is playing Squillaci, who will drag the whole quality of the defence down.

Player Ratings
Wojceich Szczesny - 7
Laurent Koscielny - 7
Thomas Vermaelen - 7
Kieran Gibbs - 6
Bacary Sagna - 6
Alex Song - 7
Aaron Ramsey - 7
Tomas Rosicky - 6
Gervinho - 6
Theo Walcott - 7
Marouane Chamakh - 5
----------------------------
Johan Djourou - 6
Carl Jenkinson - 6
Emmanuel Frimpong - 6

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter Empty Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:48 pm

should have scored atleast 2 goals. 1-0 is a bad score to go italy with.

Lets hope we can sign a player within a week and atleast rvp will be back.

Djourou injured, Gibbs injured = bad
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter Empty Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Udinese: Early goals sees Arsenal through awkward encounter

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 pm

even though our attack was pretty poor, our Defense has improved alot and i am pleased that we kept a clean sheet,
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jayp Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 pm

RealGunner wrote:should have scored atleast 2 goals. 1-0 is a bad score to go italy with.

Really wish Walcott took that chance near the end, was a good save from the keeper though...
jayp
jayp
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/Jay_Peezzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

How do you think your defense will shape up this weekend? also is Jack expected back for sat "?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Nothing to be happy.. Fortunate that we ended with a narrow 1 goal margin..
Defence was ok.. Some fine saves by Sczeny...
No hope on Chamakh and Rosicky..
And i heard that Gervinho shoots and crosses.. Lol..
I fear the 2nd leg.. Only hope is that RVP and Wilshere should be back...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

RealGunner wrote:should have scored atleast 2 goals. 1-0 is a bad score to go italy with.

and guys.. you must be thrilled to watch Squillaci in the coming weeks..Laughing
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by tsgooner1 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Good defence, need replacement for cesc. Ramsey cant handle midfield by himself, but did well.

tsgooner1
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Sepi wrote:How do you think your defense will shape up this weekend? also is Jack expected back for sat "?
Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Traore
I think Wilshere will play but i'm not too sure.
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Sepi wrote:How do you think your defense will shape up this weekend? also is Jack expected back for sat "?

no news about jack

but this might be

Sagna-Vermaelen-Koscielny-Jenkinson
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tsgooner1 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Our defensive problems are overrated tbh. The only reason they were under pressure that much was because rosicky was playing terrible. Our midfield could get a hold of the ball really. Need replacement for cesc.

tsgooner1
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalWenger Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

If no defensive signings arrive this week:

I hope - Sagna/Koscielny/Vermaelen/Jenkinson

I think - Sagna/Koscielny/Squillaci/Vermaelen

The commentator said that Jack had a strap cast on his ankle so probably won't be back.

On the performance all I can say is that it was poor. We need signings in all departments and fast. The 2nd half was abysmal while the first was alright.
ArsenalWenger
ArsenalWenger
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 pm

song is not a good enough passer, rosciky is just not good enough. ramsey did well but is still inexp. our back four did well but our midfield covering and pressing is pathetic. we need to be more aggressive, like man utd are. oh and plus we haven't played good football for like 1 years now.........
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Defenders are sure to come in. Wenger really has no choice, given that we play Liverpool and ManU next
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

i hope jenkinson gets the starts at LB now. gibbs cant stay in position and when goes forward he stays forward even when the ball gets played back into the midfield. it's like "Dude, what the efff are you doing standing in the box?" and then bam there's a counter down our left defensive flank and he's nowhere to be found

but vermaelen brings some stability to the backline and was Motm for me. im just so sick of gibbs its ridiculous. how do you get hurt every other game anyways?
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Great Job and great win...midfield is struggling big time...rosicky might not make the cut afterall but we have to support him in the meantime

defense was on point nd verminator nd kos were great! song did good except when he got attack hungry!!

THEO IS THE ISH...chamakh needs service nd srs confidence shake up...gervinho looks more like wide midfielder than a winger not to talk of striker :S

we are the arsenal!!

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by mani88 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm

We are an LB and an AMC short and I would rather keep Bendtner and sell Chamakh based on this performance. You have to be real bad to beat Chamakh of these days!!!!Bendtner can dribble, shoot and score although inconsistently but Chamakh has been consistently bad!!!!
mani88
mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by getdarker Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm

something needs to happen to chamakh , he seems to be playing with zero confidence , as is not looking like the the who once stormed the french league
getdarker
getdarker
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm

RedEyesWhiteBeard wrote:song is not a good enough passer, rosciky is just not good enough. ramsey did well but is still inexp. our back four did well but our midfield covering and pressing is pathetic. we need to be more aggressive, like man utd are. oh and plus we haven't played good football for like 1 years now.........
yeah.. I am dying to see some goals.. What happened to us after February...??
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm

idk wt happened to the gibbs tht cam in during 09/10! he was solid!! he looks lost now but jerkinson cant be thrown in against unitd..thts sucide, btw im sure we will get atleast 3-4 points from utd nd liverpool game!

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 pm

@mani. You just got me thinkin. What would it be like if Chamakh was to go up against Squillaci? Laughing
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by tsgooner1 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 pm

We are overratting our problems, defence is good, forward line is good, its just we lack in the middle. We need to replace cesc. Thats all Im asking for!

tsgooner1
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:08 pm

can't replace cesc, maybe its time to switch style then? play to strengtha with dis new squad

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Ok Blood. What are the strengths of our squad and how would you line them up? (btw not tryin to sound rude. Being serious)
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Friends are u happy with Gervinho ?
I have only seen him play for this 2 matches..
I am not at all impressed by him..
I read that he shoots, dribbles and crosses..
I expected a lot.. And from what i see.. He has some pace.. But his last touch or pass is poor.. Cross is too weak.. Never saw 1 coming good.. And i didnt see him shooting yet...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next