BeautifulGame
RedOranje
mr-r34
36 posters

Page 28 of 42 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35 ... 42  Next

Go down

Our Squad - Page 28 Empty Re: Our Squad

Post by Art Morte Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 pm

I haven't noticed anything unexpected in Gerrard's performances in the first games of the season. I'm 90% sure he'll play as much as possible this season, too, and I'm fine with that.

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:20 am

New game plan - pass the ball to the EYEtalians!
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:44 am

Red Alert wrote:New game plan - pass the ball to the EYEtalians!

Why?

Was our game plan to pass the ball to Sturridge every time to save us?

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 am

I take it you haven't seen the movie 'Kicking and screaming' with Will Ferrel then.

Our game plan was pretty much to get the ball to Sturridge (and Suarez) to save us yes. We've somewhat changed the SAS to Sturridge and Sterling now. Laughing
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:07 am

and that is why Sterling carried us last seasons's end and this season both important assists were by Hendo Laughing that over exaggeration lol

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:58 am

Whilst that is true, Sterling benefited a lot considering the opposition was targeting "SAS" so Raheem had more space to operate in. We're still highly depended upon the new "SAS" now. We could (and really should) be different with new personnel in the squad, but the comment was tongue in cheek...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:36 pm

i dont know if you mean that but that sounds completely wrong. Our game plan is to utilise what we have and that is how any team works. From so many interviews it is clear that BR is trying to instill that mentality into players that everyone has share the burden of scoring goals and Hendo making runs in the box is one of that, which which is a part of plan, as proved by various interviews by BR and Hendo himself. Another example is Allen making the small run in the box to win that penalty against Spurs. So our game plan is surely not simple get the ball at the feet of any particular player, but instead it is to get maximum out of the player who is available on the pitch. And I am sure we will be just fine (resultwise), when Studge is away for that time, BR knows how to handle the loss of key players.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 am

It's safe to assume once the international break is over all of our current injured players will be back. Let's keep our fingers crossed that no one else gets crocked in the international break and we should have a full squad for one of most important parts of the season.

Sturridge
Johnson
Gerrard
Allen
Balotelli
Enrique
Emre Can
Jones
Borini
Suso
Sakho
Lucas
Kolo
Flanagan

were all NOT called up for various reasons. So they should be safe and ready and some of them safely recuperating from existing injuries.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/06/glen-johnson-may-leave-liverpool

So, we've offered Johnson a 1-year extension on his current 120k/week wages, but he hasn't signed it. Says he wants to stay, but is looking for a longer contract.

I would prefer to keep him for another year, but not offer him a 2+ years contract, so I'm happy with the way we're approaching this.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:48 pm

I would prefer to never see Johnson play for Liverpool again to be honest, but it is what it is.

After the break I'd like to try this:

Johnson - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno
Henderson - Allen
Sterling - Gerrard - Lallana
Sturridge

Have Balotelli available as a sub to change formation when needed, and Coutinho if we need an extra injection of creativity from midfield over Allen or if Gerrard needs rest. Can is also another midfield pivot we could use in a pinch.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Gerrard as a CAM, does he even have the legs?
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:59 am

He certainly doesn't play well as part of a 2 man midfield. He doesn't have the intensity, legs or defensive ability. Realistically the best spot for him is as the CAM who has little defensive responsibility with the wingers tracking back to help with Henderson/Allen in midfield. Gerrard's best attributes lend him to being a CAM to be honest and I mentioned that even last year. He has an extremely good, powerful shot, his passing is good and his heading and crossing are good. He should be playing as the CAM and it showed in the last game when he spent time there.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Gerrard cannot play CAM. Key attributes there are close control, short passing, linkup and dribbling ability since it gets more crowded when you move closer to the opposing defense.

The only other position than the deep playing mid role would be the b2b for Gerrard. But he doesn't have the legs for that anymore. So it's really deep playing mid or bust imo.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:20 pm

sportsczy wrote:Gerrard cannot play CAM. Key attributes there are close control, short passing, linkup and dribbling ability since it gets more crowded when you move closer to the opposing defense.

The only other position than the deep playing mid role would be the b2b for Gerrard. But he doesn't have the legs for that anymore. So it's really deep playing mid or bust imo.

WTF are you on about? Gerrard in his prime was one of the best CAM's in the world when played there.

Sure if you mean, now then yes he probably doesn't have the legs for it for 90 mins. But for 15 minutes a match as he showed against WBA he can be very effective.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Don't call me James wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Gerrard cannot play CAM. Key attributes there are close control, short passing, linkup and dribbling ability since it gets more crowded when you move closer to the opposing defense.

WTF are you on about? Gerrard in his prime was one of the best CAM's in the world when played there.

Sure if you mean, now then yes he probably doesn't have the legs for it for 90 mins. But for 15 minutes a match as he showed against WBA he can be very effective.

Yeah, I can only second this. Gerrard has been a beast CAM. His game intelligence was already on display in that West Brom cameo. And his dribbling is perhaps a little underrated, he has the ability to avoid a challenge although you won't see him dribbling past defenders.

Gerrard can play CAM but it's another matter whether he's our best option there (probably not).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:20 pm

He's not playing CAM.... in a 433 or 352, there is no CAM.  It's a CM role.  You only play CAM in a 4231, a 442 (where it's a 10 role so it's even more advanced), or some crazy formation that Bielsa runs....  attacking mid means someone who plays right behind the striker (how close depends on the specific formation) and supports the wingers left and right as needed too.    

There's no way in the world Gerrard is or will play that role with his skillset today.  It's impossible.  But you guys are free to think he is/will.

Chelsea fans used to say that Lampard was a AM too in his later years and he was far from that. Being able to shoot, poach and spray long range passes from low positions doesn't make you a AM. CM all the way...

If you were talking about younger versions of Gerrard or Lampard, then no problem.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:38 pm

You are not even reading what we write.

Read what we're saying. GERRARD IN HIS PRIME. Meaning under Benitez was a CAM. Had the skillset and was one of the best in the world in that position.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 pm

I was responding to the suggestion that Gerrard should play CAM now.... you should read what i responded to (the post above mine and the lineup proposed 3 posts up). What are you READING???
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:42 pm

You are going about it as if it's absolutely impossible for him to play the position which funnily enough he JUST did last weekend, albeit for 15 minutes, very effectively. And he's very very experienced in the position.

We have better players to play the position of course, but if situation dictated that he needed to play AM for a match he could very well do it.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:55 am

Sure he can do it for 15 mins... but to ask him to be  a regular CAM and set up your team for Gerrard to play the position regularly is just not feasible given his profile today.  He can do it if it's an emergency i'm sure.

You have Countinho.  If you need a CAM, he's the one.  But from what i've seen of rogers, he likes to control the midfield and that means he's sticking with his 433 or 352 most games.  

PSG is like that too btw.  No CAMs.  OM is the other extreme with Payet playing as a CAM/10.  Chelsea too.  I would throw Arsenal in there...  but i'm not sure what Wenger is playing these days Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Coutihno needed some schooling which brought much more disciplined Performance out of him in the last game. He is still learning; so I liked what I saw in the previous game; Hendo in a little advanced role and Coutinho holding back a bit.

When Lucas was paired with Hendo in the last game, that midfield didnt look bad at all compared to when Lucas and Gerrard are paired together. I hope BR will never do that mistake again. I wont mind Gerrard in an advanced CM/CAM role here and there in few games.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:19 pm

sportsczy wrote:Sure he can do it for 15 mins... but to ask him to be  a regular CAM and set up your team for Gerrard to play the position regularly is just not feasible given his profile today.  He can do it if it's an emergency i'm sure.

You have Countinho.  If you need a CAM, he's the one.  But from what i've seen of rogers, he likes to control the midfield and that means he's sticking with his 433 or 352 most games.

Except you don't need to be mobile to be a CAM -- there are many different moulds of CAM that can work depending on the system they play in. Rodgers likes to play high up the pitch with a lot of pressure, and have his wingers, forwards and even deeper midfielders making runs off the ball. Having someone like Gerrard in that central attacking spot of the midfield while everyone else is moving around him could be ideal (and he looked great playing there already, much better than as a holder). Gerrard possesses all the attributes to play like this also given his intelligence, passing ability and tremendous shot. His on the ball is a bit underrated, and he can aggressively pressure the other team without having to run too much since he'll be lined up with their deeper midfield already and his tackling is not bad (it's his defensive awareness that fails him). So by removing him from a position where he has to be reactive and putting him in a position that is more proactive is a positive for Liverpool.

Also I don't think that you've been watching Liverpool play because Rodgers has been using the 4-2-3-1 more than any other formation so far this season...believe us that having Gerrard play the CAM with Can/Allen back is a better option than Gerrard/Henderson double pivot. Coutinho has been very poor and will need to fight for his position back, but can also back-up Gerrard there. This allows us for more depth anyway...

Henderson/Can - Allen/Lucas
Sterling/Borini - Gerrard/Coutinho - Lallana/Markovic
Sturridge/Balotelli

That's only for the 4-2-3-1 where Balotelli doesn't really fit in as he's much better in a two striker system (but he can be brought on for a change of pace), but I think our overall team sits better in a 4-2-3-1.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 pm

I'll just put it here that Valdes is set to train with Man United with a view for a possible move, so that's that for that speculation. Would be a pointless move, though, as De Gea doesn't need replacing.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 am

f*** valdes...we dont need him, I am going to see how Mignolet does till the end of the season and get someone like Begovic!!!

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 pm

tbh guys, I think I miss Agger and also we should give Lucas more games in place of Gerrard :coffee:

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm not going to lie I actually watched a Brondby match just to see Agger play again. I really really get pissed at Brendan for this when I think about what he's done.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 42 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35 ... 42  Next