donttreadonred
Art Morte
Le Samourai
MGNRomulus
RedOranje
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Jonjo Shelvey = Next Zidanee >>>> McEachran - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonjo Shelvey = Next Zidanee >>>> McEachran

Post by Art Morte Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Kinda sad to see Shelvey leave, he's been a very likeable player and has potential. But his career was never going to explode at LFC, I suppose, and only time will tell which club got the better deal here.

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Jonjo Shelvey = Next Zidanee >>>> McEachran - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonjo Shelvey = Next Zidanee >>>> McEachran

Post by iftikhar Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:00 pm

In four years £20 million would be like £10-12 million today. That will be the value of a squad player and he will be what 25! It's a good match, him, Ladraup & Swanse.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:56 pm

good luck to shelvey, i hope he continues his good Europa form there too!!

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:16 pm

I really, really hope he excels at Swansea. I think this is a good piece of business - he wasn't going to feature for us this year, and short of a dominant loan spell probably wouldn't next year either - but he has great potential and is very likeable, and I hope he becomes a star in the future. Best of luck, Jonjo Thumbs up
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:18 pm

undefined wrote:"Leaving a club like Liverpool is a very hard decision to make but coming to Swansea, who play similar football which Brendan and managers before him installed here, is an attraction," said the England Under-21 international. "Brendan said he wouldn't let me go to a club that wasn't right for me. He said Swansea are perfect for me with the way I play."
Shelvey added: "He couldn't guarantee me the first-team football at Liverpool, and he said if I could get the game-time at Swansea then I should definitely go.
"I could have stayed at Liverpool and fought for my place because they didn't want to get rid of me, but I felt, in the end, I needed to come and make a name for myself.
"Rather than sit on the bench every week at Liverpool I need to come and play football and get myself to the status that I once had.
"Moving here will help me in terms of the way the manager (Michael Laudrup) wants to play.
"Obviously having worked under Brendan that will stand me in good stead.
"I just want to enjoy my football, get as many games under my belt as possible and hopefully win something with Swansea."
good lad, still feeling sad

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:08 pm

He really does look miserable in those pictures, doesn't he?

I'm a little sad to see him go. He was an entertaining player to have in the squad, but last season was his big chance. Rodgers saw his talent and was in a position to give him a run of games. However, after a run of good games, he got himself sent off and his performances never reached the same level. The remainder of the season saw him take one step forward and two steps back on multiple occasions.

In the end, he simply didn't have the drive (or perhaps the end-product) to make it at LFC. I know some will say that he's only 21, but he's had his opportunities to show he's developing, and he's not taken them. I absolutely love Kristian Walsh's comment on him:
Kristian Walsh -" http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1161?cc="5901 wrote:He is a walking -- and oh, how he walked -- enigma, a player who appeared to have the world at his feet but forgot to tie his shoelaces.

I saw someone post on twitter that in three years six million will look like a great deal for either Liverpool or Swansea, and I couldn't agree more. He will either push on, or peter out as a squad player on a mid-table side. In either case, Liverpool simply could not afford to wait and see.

In any case, I'm done eulogizing over Shelvey's LFC career and missed chances. Admittedly, I am rather curious how he fits into that Swansea team, though. I would've thought he would take the place that Jonathan De Guzman occupied last season. However, the Swans confirmed the signing of De Guzman on another season long loan only a week ago. (http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/217249.html). So, where does he fit?

While Shelvey's price tag would seem to signify a starting place for him at Swansea, I simply can't see him usurping any of the current starting contingent at Swans. If I had to rank their current midfielders, I would have to go with:
Michu
De Guzman
Britton
Ki - Shelvey
Routledge
Augustien

Therefore, assuming that Michu makes the move back into midfield, Shelvey still wouldn't be starting. I suppose only time will tell, but it strikes me as a rather odd choice, especially with Crystal Palace and Ian Holloway also in the hunt for his services.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Well, Swansea may have some Europa League games, so it's good for them to have depth.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:10 am

did not get how Dalglish or Rodgers end up use Shelvey, play him of main Striker or has a Striker,

at Charlton & in are reserves i was think i am watch a young Gerrard /( not say he was as good) drop deep to get the ball, all over the pitch look for pass/ tackles /shooting , he run from deep to get in the box, i was think wow got a very raw player but with good Coach & played in best position we going have easy a top 6 Premier League Midfielder

his time at Swansea City & work with Michael Laudrup, i think we end kick are self in foot for let him go

vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:18 am

^ is right.

Rodgers didn't know his best position, I don't think. Shelvey was used as a LW, RW, SS and CF last season.

Shelvey was also better than Henderson and Allen at the age of 19/20.

You just have to look at his performance against City, and before his sending off against United where he could of played a role in the role just in front of the double pivot.

I'm aware we brought Luis Alberto in, but Shelvey is better albeit two different players. And the joke is, we spent more on Luis Alberto than what we got for Jonjo when Shelvey was more experienced, more in his "development" stages, and was arguably our best prospect under 21. I have no doubts that Luis Alberto can be a good player, but Shelvey is destined to be great. Still can't believe we let him go for so cheap, and no option to buy back especially when he could of played a role. I mean, we're stuck with Allen there now ffs.

EDIT:

He destroyed Scotland last night.

He also scored a screamer.

http://i.minus.com/iV13bI7dqcSAB.gif
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:00 am

Shelvey got several chances at CAM and CM and looked inconsistent at best. He was too direct to really fit into Rodgers' preferred style and did not show any real signs of adapting. By comparison, Alberto is versatile, more fluid and suited to the style we're attempting to create, and already showing signs of gelling within the squad in a way Shelvey only showed in spurts. I liked Shelvey. I still like Shelvey. I was sad to see him sold. But he's not objectively better than Luis Alberto, as a player and definitely not in the system we're attempting to build. He didn't offer the side what Allen and/or Henderson do. It was best for all parties to let him move on. You really ought to as well.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:12 am

Gerrard was too direct as well. He adapted just fine because he was given the time. Shelvey showed what he can do in the first 6 months where he slotted in fine. He was played in foreign positions in the second half of the season and wasn't used to the tempo of the league considering he's only ever played in the league around 10 games. (Coming off the bench for 10 mins shouldn't be considered an appearance.)

How many games did Shelvey play CAM or CM for us under Rodgers? It's hard to show what you can do if you don't play. And he was hardly inconsistent in the middle. He only really played there against the Manchester clubs and in the League Cup against Mansfield (setting up Sturridge's first LFC goal). He did fine against City, who have one of the best midfields in the league, and was sent off because of a stupid call.

He was one of the few players to stand out in the Europa league.

And what exactly does Allen offer as a CAM? I like the guy, I do. He will be good. But his best position is the one Gerrard currently plays in. He's a limited player to play in the CAM role.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:17 am

Sigh.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am

I think we can all agree that this season at Swansea will show how good Shelvey really is and did we make the right or wrong call. No point arguing it yet.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 am

RedOranje wrote:Shelvey got several chances at CAM and CM and looked inconsistent at best.  He was too direct to really fit into Rodgers' preferred style and did not show any real signs of adapting.  By comparison, Alberto is versatile, more fluid and suited to the style we're attempting to create, and already showing signs of gelling within the squad in a way Shelvey only showed in spurts.  I liked Shelvey.  I still like Shelvey.  I was sad to see him sold.  But he's not objectively better than Luis Alberto, as a player and definitely not in the system we're attempting to build.  He didn't offer the side what Allen and/or Henderson do.  It was best for all parties to let him move on.  You really ought to as well.
young players always look inconsistent it about lean the game, LFC now days do not take on boad, we boo are young then build them up, look at Emiliano Insúa & Lucas Leiva

==========================================================

tell me " He was too direct to really fit into Rodgers' preferred style" how Gerrard get in the game

yes Jonjo Shelvey is raw but people are judge him on how 2 Manager who played him out position just like Henderson,

if watch Shelvey 1st game for Swansea, he was all over the pitch get the ball of defender's, pass sort-long, run into late,

Michael Laudrup going get best out him & with 3 years or so he be 15m player

vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 am

vegfootball wrote:
RedOranje wrote:Shelvey got several chances at CAM and CM and looked inconsistent at best.  He was too direct to really fit into Rodgers' preferred style and did not show any real signs of adapting.  By comparison, Alberto is versatile, more fluid and suited to the style we're attempting to create, and already showing signs of gelling within the squad in a way Shelvey only showed in spurts.  I liked Shelvey.  I still like Shelvey.  I was sad to see him sold.  But he's not objectively better than Luis Alberto, as a player and definitely not in the system we're attempting to build.  He didn't offer the side what Allen and/or Henderson do.  It was best for all parties to let him move on.  You really ought to as well.

young players always look inconsistent it about lean the game, LFC  fans now days do not take on board, we boo are young then players then build them up, look at Emiliano Insúa & Lucas Leiva

tell me " He was too direct to really fit into Rodgers' preferred style" how Gerrard get in the game

yes Jonjo Shelvey is raw but people are judge him on how 2 Manager who played him out position just like Henderson,

if watch Shelvey 1st game for Swansea, he was all over the pitch get the ball of defender's, pass sort-long, run into late,

Michael Laudrup going get best out him & with 3 years or so he be 15m player

vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 am

Hey Vegfooty mate (sorry coulndt find another name to address you), please understand that at swansea the big thing is to be playing in EPL. We know the club's journey as well how they came from 3rd to 2nd and now in EPL. What I mean to say is that they can experiment with shelvey and sky is not going to fall down if they finish 8th or 9th in the table. You already kow the pressure we have for even to finish below everton. Shelvey had his chances and he could not perform as the current manager wanted.If hendo, kids like sterling and Ibe could impress manager and shelvy couldnt, I think we took that decision to offload him just for football reasons. I remember how highly BR used to praise shelvey but finally it didnt work out for him. So if he performs brilliantly for them, I am more than happy for the lad. Had shelvey been at the club performing average, I am sure few people including me would have said why even we have kept him. Few players who look world beaters for clubs like Swansea, will not necessarily would peform for us. In the end I could be wrong but I completely support the decision of selling him.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:Hey Vegfooty mate (sorry coulndt find another name to address you), please understand that at swansea the big thing is to be playing in EPL. We know the club's journey as well how they came from 3rd to 2nd and now in EPL. What I mean to say is that they can experiment with shelvey and sky is not going to fall down if they finish 8th or 9th in the table. You already kow the pressure we have for even to finish below everton. Shelvey had his chances and he could not perform as the current manager wanted.If hendo, kids like sterling and Ibe could impress manager and shelvy couldnt, I think we took that decision to offload him just for football reasons. I remember how highly BR used to praise shelvey but finally it didnt work out for him. So if he performs brilliantly for them, I am more than happy for the lad. Had shelvey been at the club performing average, I am sure few people including me would have said why even we have kept him. Few players who look world beaters for clubs like Swansea, will not necessarily would peform for us. In the end I could be wrong but I completely support the decision of selling him.
i get that Manager does rate Shelvey but how can do that when he been play out position, from age 16 playing for Charlton Athletic/England U16/England U17/England U19/England U21/Liverpool F.C. reserves/Hodgson time as a box-to-box midfielder, yes was raw but with right Coach & right Manager

Shelvey could end been easy top 6 Premier League player

vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 am

As Art said, we will wait and see what shelvey does at swansea

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:As Art said, we will wait and see what shelvey does at swansea
i agree also with that, i what don't get how can Rodgers wright him of with out give him a good run out in best Playing position, just how doing the same with Henderson,

Rodgers is going around like the big I am, he done bug all so far in his Manager career, i think we should went with as head Coach & ,Guus Hiddink or some like yo be left to buy & sale player & so on
vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 am

vegfootball wrote:
HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:As Art said, we will wait and see what shelvey does at swansea
i agree also with that, i  what don't get how can  Rodgers wright him of with out give him a good run out in best Playing position, just how doing the same with Henderson,
on
Sometimes you have to surrender and accept things, you can not understand everything in a single life Laughing

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:
vegfootball wrote:
i agree also with that, i  what don't get how can  Rodgers wright him of with out give him a good run out in best Playing position, just how doing the same with Henderson,
on
Sometimes you have to surrender and accept things, you can not understand everything in a single life Laughing
i know, it got bit like the what the hell going but hey, like every say let give time,

vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am

We have to , WE JUST HAVE TO let go. Shelvey isn't our player and there is nothing we can do. We can lean-on our current crop of players and wish him the best.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

iftikhar wrote:We have to , WE JUST HAVE TO let go. Shelvey isn't our player and there is nothing we can do. We can lean-on our current crop of players and wish him the best.
yep get as well, all i was saying how can Rodgers wright of Shelvey with out seem in his best Playing position

2 big name ( much name in football than Rodgers) thought Shelvey was a good player (Rafa Benítez) (Michael Laudrup) even Roy Hodgson played Shelvey right Playing position

that what can not get my head
vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 pm

:facepalm: people comparing Shelvey to Gerrard in this thread. The difference in quality is an important distinction, obviously one is going to be more capable of adjusting to new tactics than the other considering his extra 15 years of experience, not to mention that Gerrard's "direct" playing style has a much higher success rate than Shelvey gets against reserve sides... A manager like BR can work around a direct playing style - hell, even utilize it as an extra outlet and secondary approach - when it comes at the level of Steven Gerrard, while Jonjo Shelvey is simply going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, the played out of position myth is getting ridiculous, he played centrally almost every game he played last year. He was a false 9 once, and only appeared on the wing maybe once or twice aside from substitution cameos where he was expected to cut in and push on towards goal anyway.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 am

No ones comparing quality.

Gerrard is easily superior to Shelvey. No ones saying Jonjo is better.

But to say Jonjo doesn't fit our style because he's too direct and that's why he was sold is just wrong. Enrique, Skrtel, Gerrard, Reina, Sterling and Luis to an extent are all "direct", should we sell all of them too?

Let's not forget Swansea also play a similar type of football to us. So why would they be going for Shelvey if he's too direct as a player?

He was one our best "young" player even more so than Suso and Sterling in the first half of the season. And he wasn't played in the middle much so it's not a myth. He was used as a utility player in the final third by the end of it.

And also, it's also easier to work around a "direct" player if he's younger so they can get that out of their game as they progress. Gerrard and his quality was just simply too good so he could have accommodate Rodgers style at his age.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Swansea fans are soooo pissed at him. Calling him brainless and mr.hollywood.

once again, Shelvey's brainlessness cost them, and with 30 seconds to go, instead of passing the ball around and kill the match at 1-0..Shelvey decided to dribble through 4 Kuban players and lost the ball which led to their counter and penalty and equalizing goal.

Swansea play soooooo much better with JDG and Britton in his place. Be interesting if he's perma-benched now.

Mind you, that Shelvey mistake today cost me $50. I am absolutely raging !!!!

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next