The Franchise
Abramovich
rwo power
lszanto
Amar
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy Empty John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy

Post by Amar Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:18 pm

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy due to concerns about his racism court trial.

The Chelsea defender was informed of the decision by Football Association chairman David Bernstein in a phonecall at 10am today.

It comes after Bernstein yesterday contacted all the other members of the 14-strong board to seek their views following the announcement that Terry's court case will not take place until July 9 - after Euro 2012.

The FA have refused to confirm the action but Press Association Sport understands Terry will still be eligible for the England squad for Euro 2012.

Terry denies racially abusing Anton Ferdinand in a match against QPR last year.

A spokesman for the player declined to comment this morning.

It is the second time the Chelsea captain has been stripped of the England armband having also lost it two years ago after allegations surrounding his private life came to light.

A majority of board members believed Terry should not be the England figurehead with such a serious charge hanging over him, especially given the possible scenario of England making a complaint about racist abuse from the crowd when playing matches in Ukraine this summer.

It would have been difficult for the FA to take the moral high ground if England's captain is himself facing a criminal charge for racism.

Terry's barrister on Wednesday entered a formal not guilty plea at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

England manager Fabio Capello had wanted to make the decisions over the captain and had stuck by his belief that Terry should be regarded as innocent until proven guilty but the FA board decided they had to act.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/article6348920.ece

---

Well I think most of us saw this coming. Should Gerrard and Ferdinand be the obvious candidates? Or should the FA go for someone who can actually last on the pitch for a 2 games straight? Hate to say it, but we may see Gareth Barry captaining the side this summer :facepalm:

Last edited by the_gooner on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy Empty Re: John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy

Post by lszanto Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 pm

What a joke, way to have a fair trial :facepalm:
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy Empty Re: John Terry Stripped of England Captaincy

Post by rwo power Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Why not choose Joe Hart? Fresh faces FTW.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 pm

ANYONE but Rooney.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Maybe they should just do what most countries do, give it to the guy with the most caps.

I think I have never seen a team, NT or club, much such a big deal out of a armband.

Leadership comes from players, with or without an armband.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 pm

^ Think thats Cashley, not sure about his leadership material tbh.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm with RWO give it to Hart, he's a badass.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm

give it to white pele, give him a chance to show the world who the goat is

nah, stevie g is fine imo
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Couldn't care less, last time they stripped him of the captaincy, Rio came out and said JT still leads them on the field.

He is a born leader, he is still going to be leading England armband or not.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm

for some reason i dont think rio is going to say anything in terry's favour. Shocked
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

It's sad that they didn't do it because he's bad at the football.

Because he is.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 pm

I would'nt give it to Gerrard, iam still not sure his injury troubles are over and he cant have more than 3 or 4 years tops and besides his record as England captain is awful.

I'd give to Hart aswell ( although i think Wilshere is the best candidate long term)
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I would'nt give it to Gerrard, iam still not sure his injury troubles are over and he cant have more than 3 or 4 years tops and besides his record as England captain is awful.

I'd give to Hart aswell ( although i think Wilshere is the best candidate long term)

Not really sure what only having 3 to 4 years left has on the captaincy for this summer, especially since Terry probably has less left in the tank. This tournament is obviously something of a "last hurrah" for an aging generation of England stars. I can't see Capello straying from his usual list of captaincy candidates.

In the long run, I would agree that it should be Wilshere or Hart. I just don't think it's likely to happen this tournament. Besides, Wilshere's spot is far from guaranteed given his long term injury concerns.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Wilshere's too young to be the captain, plus i wouldn't want him responsible for the shower of shit that is the England NT
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Lord Hades wrote:for some reason i dont think rio is going to say anything in terry's favour. Shocked

This has nothing to do with Rio saying it again, all I am saying is taking the aemband away does nothing, he will still captain them on the field.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Why is big man such a big scumbag ffs
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I would'nt give it to Gerrard, iam still not sure his injury troubles are over and he cant have more than 3 or 4 years tops and besides his record as England captain is awful.

So you need long term planning to appoint someone as a captain as well ? scratch

yeah he has 3-4 yrs left in him but thats still a lot..

Gerrard should be the automatic chioce imo.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:57 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:It's sad that they didn't do it because he's bad at the football.

Because he is.

No one saw this gem of a comment? I almost feel obliged to agree with it. Also, just give anyone the captain's armband, not like it makes any difference. Gone are the days of Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Tony Adams, men who players honestly respected.

Personally, I would give it to Hart, start the next generation of England NT with a new captain.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Give it to joe Hart,Keeper captains FTW..

Like Franchise said,never seen a country who is more obsessed with NT captaincy than England.I could understand if it was spain due to their strong internal political conflicts and seperatism crap but England lol?
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 pm

That's why i was talking about long term Laughing whats the point in giving Gerrard the captaincy for Euro's and him flopping ( which he will) and then give it to someone different afterwards......

Gerrard maybe be a fantastic captain for Liverpool but for England he is awful he has lost more games than he has won ffs.....

I have no idea why Gerrard should be first choice when everytime he's been captain for England he's done an awful job.

Also what Doc said, start the new generation with a new captain.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Yeah even i agree that giving someone captain's armband doesnt make that much of a difference..

Also what Doc said, start the new generation with a new captain.

Yeah this makes more sense.I would agree then.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 pm

But giving it to joe Hart while all other seniors are still playing is bit impossible no?
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Hart is a badass, he would probably be able to handle their overrated diva asses.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Why is it impossible?

There's plenty of examples of young captains leading thier countries with more experienced players in the team.....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm

is it possible in England? A country obsessed with NT captaincy hmm
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next