Zealous
jibers
guest7
Harmonica
Vapotrini
52 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Very little doubt in my mind, Messi has peaked - Page 3 Empty Re: Very little doubt in my mind, Messi has peaked

Post by ijomer Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 am

cyberman wrote:Peaked? You expected messi to get better? Lol he's already proclaimed as the best ever...at twenty four. I'm pretty sure that's the talent ceiling for any player ever...

hahaha who the Fu** other than cules and argentinians believe that crap? LOL Pele and Maradona won't even eat him for brakefast.. not to mention he is huge time flop for national team.

anyways, next time be more precise and say, he is proclaimed by the CULES and argentinians as whatever whatever... not by other rational ppl Very Happy

ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Very little doubt in my mind, Messi has peaked - Page 3 Empty Re: Very little doubt in my mind, Messi has peaked

Post by ijomer Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 am

even a donkey knows pele and maradona are better than messi like by MILES

other players like R9, Best, Zidane, are same level if not better.
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 am

Watch games of Pele and Maradona and you will probably change your mind. They were definitely not better than Messi in a football that was played 5x slower than today.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:09 pm

free_cat wrote:Watch games of Pele and Maradona and you will probably change your mind. They were definitely not better than Messi in a football that was played 5x slower than today.
Don't bother with ijomer, he's either a troll or just mentally deficient.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

i dont think he can physically play any better than he has done in the past couple years.

so ya i think that was his peak.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 pm

free_cat wrote:Watch games of Pele and Maradona and you will probably change your mind. They were definitely not better than Messi in a football that was played 5x slower than today.

I guess you probably watched a couple of games where they didnt play at their best and think its fair to judge them based on that. I can think of some games where messi looked like we was fed sleeping pills just before the game, imagine kids like you in the future looking at those games and thinking messi was rubbish

watch the 86 world cup and you will probably laugh at what you wrote

As for the bold line, you have evidence of that or are you just recycling the rubbish you read somewhere? either way these arguments go both ways, theres lots of factors to consider such as messi playing in the best team ever, i guess that undermines everything he does right?
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:20 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:If Maradona didn't have a ceiling, coke definitely put one in him for him. He could've had a much better career, and this debate might not even be happening, if it were not for his own lack of discipline and professionalism. In his own words, he could've been 3 times as good.

Its a great shame, even sadder than R9s injuries
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Mate, the further you go back the slower everything is...its obvious.

The game is slower, more time and space, players allowed more touches before coming under pressure.

Its an unfair comparison really, because those old players probably would just adjust to the increased pace of todays game but there is no doubt the games are much much slower.

That includes WC 86.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Im not really arguing the game wasnt slower. But i suspect most people dont have clue what they are talking about and just repeat what they heard somewhere else. In this case there is a grain of truth but in others this is how BS internet myths get started
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:Im not really arguing the game wasnt slower. But i suspect most people dont have clue what they are talking about and just repeat what they heard somewhere else. In this case there is a grain of truth but in others this is how BS internet myths get started

But what freecat said was right..well not 5 times slower, but you know what he meant.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:09 pm

To show skills and dribbling are much easier in a slow football. thats why old players looks so skillfull and thats why some posters here post threads asking football is dead? not its not dead, football become faster and more tactical to show skills are getting much harder, and i doubt if old players could show same skills in todays football
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Vapotrini wrote:People are gonna say that this is knee jerk, and hopefully it is, but I really don't know anymore...

Seeing as I'm a self confessed, full fledged Diego fan boy, maybe this may be hard to read but I want to know. Can there be any truth to this...

The training is better. Their diets are better. The tactics are superior. Their opposition and pitches are better. I've heard it all before, but my eyes don't lie... I've seen this all before.

For the past few weeks/months I've been seeing something that sits poorly with me, Messi being human. Missing stuff that even I in my little imaginary world, wouldn't miss. I first said it was a one off, but one off's don't keep on happening do they? It's not (now weekly) one offs, it's simply Messi being human. He CANNOT KEEP IT UP!

I like everyone else here keeps thinking, "wow, this guy is only 24 years old... surely the greatest to play at that age. Just imagine him at 27!" Well thinking about it, I would bet just about anything in the world that he won't be any where remotely as good as he is now when he's 27. How could he be though??? Football and training have evolved to such a level that these guys are way beyond their predecessors. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but generally the norm is going to be a far earlier peak from yesteryear. It's reaching a point now where I'm asking myself if Messi at just 24 years old is actually regressing? Forget the penalties. When last has he even attempted to chip a keeper? You may say well, that not a big deal, but think about it. If you're a keeper and you know there's no chip coming, you can storm out with confidence and basically know that it's just 50/50 from there. Left or right. Such a huge weapon, why has he forsaken it? Makes him a whole lot more predictable. This is a tool in his arsenal that he should be using more with his now vast experience, however it's now non-existent in his game. Puzzling.

On to Dribbling: It may just be me, but in the past I can't recall ever seeing him lose the ball as much as he does now. He's dribbling less which is natural, cause he's getting older and using his smarts, picking when to dribble, which is all great... but the problem is (in my eyes), he's actually losing the ball more now - dribbling less, losing the ball more. No matter how you wanna justify or spin that, it's not good. Put another way, what does Messi do today that he didn't do as well or better in at least 2 years gone by? Be honest with yourselves. What is he better at? I'll give him the killer through ball but that was always going to come. Every single player gets better at passing, that's given. In my mind, he doesn't do anything other than that better. One could argue it's quite the contrary. But wait, isn't he supposed to peak at 25? Isn't he supposed to be getting clearly better? Sorry to say, from where I'm sitting, he's clearly not getting better. And don't for a second bring up stats cause all I've been seeing lately is his teammates give up GREAT opportunities to feed him the ball. Frustratingly so! Stats won't and can't show that. Stats are not going to tell the whole story the same way they didn't when CR7 broke the la liga record last year. It's shameful at times the way these guys are spoon fed.

From where I'm sitting, the simple truth is that Messi is an early bloomer. Hell, all footballers are nowadays with the training that now exists. This is why I always say, don't judge him now... judge him after he hangs up his boots. Things are entirely different now from days gone by, a player now at 24 is "probably" equivolant to a player close to 30, two decades ago. That's why comparing Messi to Pele, Platini, Zico, Maradona, insert name here, when they were 24, is utterly ridiculous. It doesn't work that way. It can't, these players simply can't continue excelling. They're gonna hit their peak a lot earlier.

Wish I was wrong but I know in my heart, we've already seen the best of Messi. A little disappointing considering his age, but training nowadays is too rigorous for these guys to keep these ridiculous levels up. No matter the player, no matter the generation, you get a really SPECIAL 4-5 years of pure genius... after that, it's more reputation than anything else that will carry you. Hope I'm wrong but deep down inside, I know I'm absolutely right. Seen it too many times before... and I'll bet quite a bit that it's happening here right before my very eyes, yet again. Sadly enough...

Nostradamus affraid
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:14 pm

It only took him 2.5 years for his predictions to become slightly less lol-worthy hmm
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:26 pm

How about the case of o phenomeno?
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:39 pm

This post was spot on with the timing too. Messi's been at the same level or less for the last 2 years.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 pm

No doubt Messi has peaked and is not as good anymore as 4 years back.
That being said, he's still head and shoulders above the rest Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:No doubt Messi has peaked and is not as good anymore as 4 years back.
That being said, he's still head and shoulders above the rest @ Barca FC Laughing

banana
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:02 pm

that's true too Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:50 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:It only took him 2.5 years for his predictions to become slightly less lol-worthy hmm

Really?

I like everyone else here keeps thinking, "wow, this guy is only 24 years old... surely the greatest to play at that age. Just imagine him at 27!" Well thinking about it, I would bet just about anything in the world that he won't be any where remotely as good as he is now when he's 27.

Looks pretty spot on to me.

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:14 pm

It was good while it lasted, maybe we can say his peak was the best we ever saw along with R9, dinho, maradona, cruyff, and pele..strictly speaking of peaks.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Bankz wrote:It was good while it lasted, maybe we can say his peak was the best we ever saw along with R9, dinho, maradona, cruyff, and pele..strictly speaking of peaks.

Up there with R9 from what I've seen. Never seen Maradona, Cruyff and Pele.

PS : I consider 10-11 his peak. He was unreal that season. He even had dat workrate Shocked
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:32 am

Even while playing sub par, his overall game is better than CR's Laughing
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Ganso wrote:Even while playing sub par, his overall game is better than CR's Laughing

How so? Laughing Normally, I'd agree, but I don't really think that's the case, based on current form. Sure, CR had a really bad game against Liverpool, but he's been performing consistently well -overall- for quite some time now.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:58 pm

LOL, this thread is so stupid.  Haters will always hate, its just a fact of life.

Claiming that Messi has peaked the year he scored over 90 goals in a calendar year with like 75 of them coming for his club team alone is supposed to be some sort of revelation?  No shit, no one with a brain expected those numbers again.

During that season the same haters were claiming he's selfish and ruins Barca's system and hasn't done anything for Argentina. (there was a ton of that going on back then).

Now he plays on a much worse team, is scoring about a goal per game and assisting almost at that rate plus he just won player of the tournament in the World Cup and dragged Argentina to the finals and to overtime of the final game while his other "world class" attacking partners shit the bed.

And now the haters want to see him be more selfish and score 90 goals again.  He just can't win.  Either way there going to hate.

It may be decades before you see something like that again or you may never see it again in our life time.  Or Ronaldo could challenge it this year.

Ronaldo gets the same sort of haters who just can't sit back and enjoy these two players who you will probably never see again in the next couple generations.

I just don't get it.

And just to put that year into context.  That year he scored 13 more club goals than Ronaldo's best year on any team.

And Ronaldo is probably the best pure goal scorer I've ever seen.

So yea, I would probably say you will not see anything like that again and if you want to call that peaking than go right ahead.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 pm

The reason there's even haters is because there's people who boast. Around the time this thread was made I kept reading how Messi was breaking records at just/only 25, for example. Or how he would win the rest of the Ballon D'Or until he retires. If some fans are gonna spew stuff like that than one can say that they had it coming. Time is certainly cruel, isn't it?
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Dnmac4 wrote:LOL, this thread is so stupid.  Haters will always hate, its just a fact of life.

I had a great cheeseburger the other day . Beef , edam , tomato , bacon , lettuce and mustard sauce , accompanied with french fries and some coke . Best thing ever.

Dnmac4 wrote:Claiming that Messi has peaked the year he scored over 90 goals in a calendar year with like 75 of them coming for his club team alone is supposed to be some sort of revelation?  No shit, no one with a brain expected those numbers again.

And where's your post from back then which says Messi had peaked and no one with a brain should expect those numbers again , Captain Obvious ? Apparently it was so obvious back then , that you never said anything? kk

Dnmac4 wrote:During that season the same haters were claiming he's selfish and ruins Barca's system and hasn't done anything for Argentina. (there was a ton of that going on back then).

He was selfish . As for Argentina , there i agree , that was mostly hatin .

Dnmac4 wrote:Now he plays on a much worse team, is scoring about a goal per game and assisting almost at that rate plus he just won player of the tournament in the World Cup and dragged Argentina to the finals and to overtime of the final game while his other "world class" attacking partners shit the bed.

And now the haters want to see him be more selfish and score 90 goals again.  He just can't win.  Either way there going to hate.

All i read is , 'i am a fanboy' . Also , people having big expectations of Messi does not necessarily translate as them wanting him to be selfish again. And certainly few to do with hate , not everyone who questions or questioned Messi is a hater.

Dnmac4 wrote:It may be decades before you see something like that again or you may never see it again in our life time.  Or Ronaldo could challenge it this year.

Ronaldo gets the same sort of haters who just can't sit back and enjoy these two players who you will probably never see again in the next couple generations.

I just don't get it.

And just to put that year into context.  That year he scored 13 more club goals than Ronaldo's best year on any team.

And Ronaldo is probably the best pure goal scorer I've ever seen.

Agreed and that's what i've personally always have been doing. I wonder when the Ronaldo peaked threads are going to start and the next captain obvious comes in and saves the day . "You irrelevant plebs , it was obvious , anyone with a brain would not expect the same numbers from Ronaldo after La Decima " . Wait for it .

Dnmac4 wrote:So yea, I would probably say you will not see anything like that again and if you want to call that peaking than go right ahead.

Basically TL;DR version: You will probably not see anything like that again , so that's when he peaked .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next