The Madrid One
rwo power
guest7
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Points/Kudos Announcement discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Points/Kudos Announcement discussion

Post by The_ItalianFool Sun 5 Jun - 13:56

zizzle wrote:well, why would anybody abuse this ? after all what we went through together ? Razz i tust the members not to act childish on this one

You must not know a lot of the members on the forums....LOL affraid

We can always give it a try and see how it goes... I think all barca fans will do the "-" to all real fans opinions, and vice versa, and the same goes for any rivalry or troll for that matter...

The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Points/Kudos Announcement discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Points/Kudos Announcement discussion

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 13:56

The_ItalianFool wrote:
zizzle wrote:well, why would anybody abuse this ? after all what we went through together ? Razz i tust the members not to act childish on this one

We can always give it a try and see how it goes... I think all barca fans will do the "-" to all real fans opinions, and vice versa, and the same goes for any rivalry or troll for that matter...

Well if you think the '-' will be abused, do you believe we should only stick with +1's?

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun 5 Jun - 13:58

sciacca wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Well if you think the '-' will be abused, do you believe we should only stick with +1's?

thats a good suggestion, but i think we should give the "-" a chance
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by totaalvoetbal Sun 5 Jun - 13:59

I don't know if this is possible but if I can see WHO is voting - or +... we can see who is trolling and obviously nobody want to be seen that way Very Happy
totaalvoetbal
totaalvoetbal
Prospect
Prospect

http://goingusa.waarbenjij.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Sun 5 Jun - 14:00

sciacca wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Yeah, that and/or the thanks button. The main thing I loved about Kudos is that it proved when you were right or did something right... If you get a lot of kudos, people agree with you, if you dont, then people dont think it was that important...

With this system, I can go around putting negative comments on people i dont like, teams i dont like, people im arguing with even tho they havent said anything wrong or bad...

I dont think any extra negativity is needed, we bring enough of that normally lol
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Sun 5 Jun - 14:02

Kudos are fun, but they really don't prove anything
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun 5 Jun - 14:03

Well, the kudos system of a vBulletin I maintained had exactly that - open reputation and one even had to add a short line to give a reason for either the + or -

Maybe there is a hack like that for phpBB, too?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 14:05

The_ItalianFool wrote:
sciacca wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Yeah, that and/or the thanks button. The main thing I loved about Kudos is that it proved when you were right or did something right... If you get a lot of kudos, people agree with you, if you dont, then people dont think it was that important...

With this system, I can go around putting negative comments on people i dont like, teams i dont like, people im arguing with even tho they havent said anything wrong or bad...

I dont think any extra negativity is needed, we bring enough of that normally lol

I agree with you, but I don't see no harm in trying out for a while, see how things go. Who knows maybe there will be little to no abuse which means we are moving and progressing better a community. We are in a new forums, and up to this point, I myself, have not seen any trolling at this point. Let's keep it this way and hope for the best. Although, if it dosen't work and the trust of the members turn into trolls and abuse this, then we should obviously tweak the rep system in some way either in removing the '-' or limiting reps to ensure best for this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun 5 Jun - 14:07

sciacca wrote:
McLewis wrote:Thanks for the immediate feed back, guys!

I want to hear a bit more before I start making further tweaks.

Good to hear McLewis, well my biggest concern and with the majority of others.. is the abuse that some may take with these reps. Some are already claiming Kudos wars and what not, and we don't want to start off this community on a wrong note. So as I and other have previously said, we should begin by limiting the Reps which will prevent those not to abuse.

I completely agree.

Kudos wars are not going to happen if I or my fellow admins can prevent it. Simple as that. I won't allow this system to be abused in that way. That's not what it's intended for. Those who try to do that will be dealt with severely.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 14:09

McLewis wrote:
sciacca wrote:
McLewis wrote:Thanks for the immediate feed back, guys!

I want to hear a bit more before I start making further tweaks.

Good to hear McLewis, well my biggest concern and with the majority of others.. is the abuse that some may take with these reps. Some are already claiming Kudos wars and what not, and we don't want to start off this community on a wrong note. So as I and other have previously said, we should begin by limiting the Reps which will prevent those not to abuse.

I completely agree.

Kudos wars are not going to happen if I or my fellow admins can prevent it. Simple as that. I won't allow this system to be abused in that way. That's not what it's intended for. Those who try to do that will be dealt with severely.

I just hope it dosen't happen. How will the admins prevent this from happening?

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun 5 Jun - 14:11

RPG element? :lol!:
Negative points don't make sense. When someone votes positive then they mean it usually. Negative kudos could be the product of anything possible. If you guys want to introduce it then exclude the negative part.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun 5 Jun - 14:13

Just get rid of the damn reputation system. Especially considering the majority of people here are under 18, the likelihood of childish behavior is very strong.

I vote for getting rid of reputation, points and post counts. These ranking systems do nothing to add to the community. They WILL be abused.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by totaalvoetbal Sun 5 Jun - 14:14

Can admins see who is giving + or -?
totaalvoetbal
totaalvoetbal
Prospect
Prospect

http://goingusa.waarbenjij.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Sun 5 Jun - 14:14

poolsupporter wrote:Just get rid of the damn reputation system. Especially considering the majority of people here are under 18, the likelihood of childish behavior is very strong.

I vote for getting rid of reputation, points and post counts. These ranking systems do nothing to add to the community. They WILL be abused.

I disagree with getting rid of the whole reputation idea. If you post a lot, and a lot of people acknowledge that you are a good poster or like a certain post, why is it so bad to have a thanks button?

Building a good reputation should encourage better posting IMO. I think the negative aspect is just unneeded and fuels the fire.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun 5 Jun - 14:18

The_ItalianFool wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:Just get rid of the damn reputation system. Especially considering the majority of people here are under 18, the likelihood of childish behavior is very strong.

I disagree with getting rid of the whole reputation idea. If you post a lot, and a lot of people acknowledge that you are a good poster or like a certain post, why is it so bad to have a thanks button?

Building a good reputation should encourage better posting IMO. I think the negative aspect is just unneeded and fuels the fire.

Because if you've been on enough of forums with reputation, you realize that reputation DOESN'T re-enforce members to post positively. I maintain it WILL be abused. Just my opinion, though.

Even on the old forums, people would 'thank' others only because they were friends. The minute we got rid of the thanks button on the newer forums, people started competing for post counts. All the evidence is there.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun 5 Jun - 14:18

I like the "positive only" idea, simply because in all forums I've ever been registered in, negative reputation buttons led to vendettas.

Now, don't get me wrong, I thought those were fun, but it's a shitload of unnecessary work for the admins.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun 5 Jun - 14:19

Case in point. I've gotten negative reputation for pointing out an opinion.

Reputation means nothing if it's only positive.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 14:19

The_ItalianFool wrote:

I disagree as well. Sure you are right about having the fear of members of this community abusing, but let's not worry to much about it. Let's give it a try. This has been something that we've all been asking for, especially senior posters like me and Fab who use to have the Kudos system back in the old forum. If the admins have trust in our members and they are able to control any abuses, I see no problems in continuing it this way.

Fab aswell, brings up good points.

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun 5 Jun - 14:21

sciacca wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

I disagree as well. Sure you are right about having the fear of members of this community abusing, but let's not worry to much about it. Let's give it a try. This has been something that we've all been asking for, especially senior posters like me and Fab who use to have the Kudos system back in the old forum. If the admins have trust in our members and they are able to control any abuses, I see no problems in continuing it this way.

I'm already being negatively repped for posting my opinion. This forum doesn't have a classifieds section like others I visit, so it doesn't bother me as much. But the people out here are basically proving my point.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 14:22

VivaStPauli wrote:I like the "positive only" idea, simply because in all forums I've ever been registered in, negative reputation buttons led to vendettas.

Now, don't get me wrong, I thought those were fun, but it's a shitload of unnecessary work for the admins.

Exactly, that's why I asked before how McLewis would do it to prevent this to happen and also basically what you pointed out, much more work which is not needed. The '-' should be at least tested for a few days, before we can decide if it's bad or not. Infact we should have some sort of poll.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Sun 5 Jun - 14:22

poolsupporter wrote:
sciacca wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

I'm already being negatively repped for posting my opinion. This forum doesn't have a classifieds section like others I visit, so it doesn't bother me as much. But the people out here are basically proving my point.

I think they are proving my point that the negativity is unneeded. Instead of getting negative reputation like you are now, you just simply wouldnt get any kudos/thanks instead...
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by joksa Sun 5 Jun - 14:22

What if we had a limit (i.e. five + and - a day)? If we had only a few chances to give those kudos votes then we surely wouldn't just throw them around, only posts that truly deserve kudos would get it. This probably wouldn't work but it's just an idea, maybe something could be thought out of it?
joksa
joksa
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun 5 Jun - 14:24

joksa wrote:What if we had a limit (i.e. five + and - a day)? If we had only a few chances to give those kudos votes then we surely wouldn't just throw them around, only posts that truly deserve kudos would get it. This probably wouldn't work but it's just an idea, maybe something could be thought out of it?

In my experience with vBull forums where rep is limited to 10/day, it doesn't do much. Friends still rep each other once everyday.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun 5 Jun - 14:25

poolsupporter wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Because if you've been on enough of forums with reputation, you realize that reputation DOESN'T re-enforce members to post positively. I maintain it WILL be abused. Just my opinion, though.

Even on the old forums, people would 'thank' others only because they were friends. The minute we got rid of the thanks button on the newer forums, people started competing for post counts. All the evidence is there.

I completely get where you're coming from, brah.

And believe me, when I discovered that these features were available for this forum, I had serious reservations. The kudos button was a double-edged sword. It brought out the best of the forums and the worst in equal measure.

The same can be said of this current system. It may not have worked on other forums, but they don't have the mod team that this forum has. Like I said, I trust my fellow admins in that we can make this work the way it was intended to work. It will be hard work and yes it will appear at times like it's just not worth it, but I'm of a different mind.

With that said, if the results are overwhelming that this system just doesn't work well for this forum, then we'll pull the plug on it simply. We have that power now.

But we're not going to exercise that power until we're absolutely sure.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Jun - 14:26

McLewis wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

I completely get where you're coming from, brah.

And believe me, when I discovered that these features were available for this forum, I had serious reservations. The kudos button was a double-edged sword. It brought out the best of the forums and the worse in equal measure.

The same can be said of this current system. It may not have worked on other forums, but they don't have mod team that this forum has. Like I said, I trust my fellow admins in that we can make this work the way it was intended to work. It will be hard work and yes it will appear at times like it's just not worth it, but I'm of a different mind.

With that said, if the results are overwhelming that this system just doesn't work well for this forum, then we'll pull the plug on it simply. We have that power now.

But we're not going to exercise that power until we're absolutely sure.

But can we atleast remove the '-'?

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun 5 Jun - 14:28

The negative cannot be removed without the positive being removed as well unfortunately.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next