Is Roberto Martinez tactically more gifted than Pep?

+16
Le Samourai
Adit
Khaled
donttreadonred
free_cat
guest7
The Messiah
Doc
BarrileteCosmico
The Franchise
S
Lex
the xcx
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Swanhends
Zealous
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is Roberto Martinez tactically more gifted than Pep? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Roberto Martinez tactically more gifted than Pep?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu 17 May 2012, 18:18

I am not argueing the 3-4-3 is a universal fail lol.... just that 5 games at the end of a season is'nt the best measuring stick to decide whether this can be a long term success plan for Wigan.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Is Roberto Martinez tactically more gifted than Pep? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Roberto Martinez tactically more gifted than Pep?

Post by the xcx Thu 17 May 2012, 18:19

Zealous wrote:I agree with Surag we'll have to wait whether Liverpool can succeed using this system. hmm

In any case I think anyone who actually watched Wigan can see the merits of the system it self but like Roberto said the system can never win you a game, only the players can. The merits of this style of play are clear and proven, consistency is not an issue because there are too many variables that can affect preformances. The system itself is not only sound, it kept Wigan up (i.e. it succeeded meaning nameless's it can never succeed theory is totally wrong lol).
what I meant was it can work as a tactics, but never as a strategy.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu 17 May 2012, 18:20

I hope Liverpool dont go after him..Rather bring Rafa.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 17 May 2012, 18:21

The Franchise wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Actually Dani it gave them a good 5 games...... he has switched from 3-5-2,4-3-3 and 3-4-3 in last few games.... and as i already said they had 22 points with 9 games to play.

As i already pointed out Wigan's success is more down to style of play change and having forwards hitting form.... not really a system that out does all before them.

Right, but bottom line, they have made the formation work...so its not clearly not the unworkable mess everyone seems to think 3 men at the back is.

Okay, it wasnt a hugely long period of time...but how can anyone argue Napoli's success? Udineses in the recent past...Chile...Mexico..?

Roma's Scudetto winning year, Brazil '02, Germany '90
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu 17 May 2012, 20:11

Real Madrid 2000
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu 17 May 2012, 20:24

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Actually Dani it gave them a good 5 games...... he has switched from 3-5-2,4-3-3 and 3-4-3 in last few games.... and as i already said they had 22 points with 9 games to play.

As i already pointed out Wigan's success is more down to style of play change and having forwards hitting form.... not really a system that out does all before them.

Right, but bottom line, they have made the formation work...so its not clearly not the unworkable mess everyone seems to think 3 men at the back is.

Okay, it wasnt a hugely long period of time...but how can anyone argue Napoli's success? Udineses in the recent past...Chile...Mexico..?

Roma's Scudetto winning year, Brazil '02, Germany '90

Wanted to keep it recent, but yeah...others too.

Madrid of VDB for example, Greece of the Euros, Egypt teams that won ACON 3 times.

Last edited by The Franchise on Thu 17 May 2012, 20:28; edited 1 time in total
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu 17 May 2012, 20:27

I did'nt say 3-4-3 is a monumental universal fail and is a matter of time till Wigan are found out tbf Sad

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu 17 May 2012, 20:29

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I did'nt say 3-4-3 is a monumental universal fail and is a matter of time till Wigan are found out tbf Sad

Spoiler:

Indeed you didnt, but nameless did.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Thu 17 May 2012, 20:30

No I didint. You misunderstood me
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu 17 May 2012, 20:35

You said its a temp soluation and " playing it 3 defenders is never good Idea. No matter the system or style".

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri 18 May 2012, 11:24

That's not a 343 is a 541.
Same as Napoli never plays with 3 at the back, as many have claimed. They play with 3 CB and 2 FB or WB.
Most of the teams argued in this thread didn't play with 3 at the back either, like VDB Madrid, it was 5 at the back. (since when are Roberto Carlos and Salgado midfielders?).

A 343 means you have 4 midfielder, and a midfielder, by definition, doens't constantly go back into the defensive line when defending.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Fri 18 May 2012, 11:40

Pep's was more of a 3313 cat, not a 343.

A 343 utilizes two wide midfielders, like how Wigan does.

Pep used 3 defenders, 1 DM, 2 CMs and 1 AM and then 3 attackers upfront.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 12:15

Roberto and Michel weren't midfielders but they pushed up the pitch and provided width, they did some defending and some attacking.

We played a 3-5-2. Our two strikers were mostly central.

Wigan play a 3-4-3 and really stretch the pitch.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri 18 May 2012, 12:37

Zealous wrote:Roberto and Michel weren't midfielders but they pushed up the pitch and provided width, they did some defending and some attacking.

We played a 3-5-2. Our two strikers were mostly central.

Wigan play a 3-4-3 and really stretch the pitch.

Nope, wing backs are not midfielders. Are defenders. Madrid played a 532 and Wigan a 541.

The same way, when Alves and Adriano play for Barça it's not a 253, but a 433.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 13:11

You're too rigid in how you see players.

If a player spends his time up the pitch like Carlos and Salgado did in 2000 then they are not part of the defence exclusively.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri 18 May 2012, 13:12

I find that an excuse to make a team that plays with 5 defenders pass like a super attacking team that plays with only 3 defenders.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 13:31

free_cat wrote:I find that an excuse to make a team that plays with 5 defenders pass like a super attacking team that plays with only 3 defenders.

I never said that they never defended with 5 when they had to, because they did. Defending with 5 at the back was very useful for Madrid because it meant every defender had someone covering him.

Let's not pretend that they never pushed forward and supported the attack because they did, a lot. They were in charge of providing width, Helguera would push up when Madrid had to ball, allowing Raul who played in midfield to push up as a striker.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri 18 May 2012, 14:59

How about...in attack it was 352..and in defence 532......

I think its silly to say a team plays formation X and thats it. No team really does.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 15:03

The Franchise wrote:How about...in attack it was 352..and in defence 532......

I think its silly to say a team plays formation X and thats it. No team really does.

That's what I was trying to say in a much more convoluted way lol

But seeing as how the 3-5-2 has come up I think it's interesting to compare it to Martinez's version of the 3-4-3.

Like I said before in the 3-5-2 the width is provided by the wing backs. But in the 3-4-3 there are already two wide attacking players who get supported by the wing backs pushing up. It's much harder to stop imo.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri 18 May 2012, 15:45

You're arguing semantics and player mentality here.

In practice, a 3-4-3 transitions between being a 3-4-3 and a 5-2-3 (even a 5-4-1 when the wingers drop a little deeper). The determining factors seem to be in the players selected (are they traditionally wide midfielders or fullbacks) and the amount of possession a team has (the more possession, the higher the average position of the wingbacks).

I'm going to use Juve as an example, as I am more familiar with them. It's not a 4-3-4, but for this argument the key point of wingers vs. wingbacks remains intact. They lined up with (for arguments sake, I'm laying it out as a 3-5-2):
------------------Vucinic - Matri
Giaccherini - Marchisio - Pirlo - Vidal - Lichtensteiner
-------------Chiellini - Bonucci - Barzagli
-----------------------Buffon

Giaccherini and Lichtensteiner are the two key players here. Giaccherini is typically a wide midfielder or even a wide forward (sometimes playing as the LW in a front three for Juve). Lichtensteiner is a right full-back (albeit a very attacking minded fullback). Essentially, Conte was using a combination of the approaches that have been described. However, in practice it wasn’t drastically different from the right side to the left. Lichtensteiner and Giaccherini pushed forward equally, or dropped deep when necessary (granted Giaccherini is a bit lacking in defense, resulting in Chiellini being busier than Barzagli). When chasing a game or pushing for a goal/win, They averaged a higher position, becoming part of the midfield. When defending a lead, they sat deeper, getting into advanced positions more sparingly. It’s not the formation that designated how the team played, but the role the wing-backs were playing at the time.

Effectively, there is no difference between a three-back system and a five-back. A pundit is going to describe it one way or another depending on their view of the teams tactics as being positive or negative. (If they see a team as sitting back, soaking up pressure, it’s a 5-2-3. If they are attacking, it’s a 3-4-3.)The beauty of the three-at-the-back system is that with the right personnel it’s fluid and dynamic, allowing a team to overload areas of the pitch to achieve a desired result.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri 18 May 2012, 15:57

Zealous wrote:

But seeing as how the 3-5-2 has come up I think it's interesting to compare it to Martinez's version of the 3-4-3.

Like I said before in the 3-5-2 the width is provided by the wing backs. But in the 3-4-3 there are already two wide attacking players who get supported by the wing backs pushing up. It's much harder to stop imo.
On this point, a 3-4-3 is usually played with two more central forwards supporting a more advanced striker(Moses and Maloney supporting Di Santo). Though Moses would tend to drift wide for Wigan, Maloney tended more towards the center. Because of this, the fullbacks are still required to provide width up to and in the final third. Few teams play with wingbacks and wingers, as it ends up crowing the wide areas if they control the possession.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 16:02

donttreadonred wrote:
Zealous wrote:

On this point, a 3-4-3 is usually played with two more central forwards supporting a more advanced striker(Moses and Maloney supporting Di Santo). Though Moses would tend to drift wide for Wigan, Maloney tended more towards the center. Because of this, the fullbacks are still required to provide width up to and in the final third. Few teams play with wingbacks and wingers, as it ends up crowing the wide areas if they control the possession.

Well obviously a balance needs to be set, you don't want players running into each other.

But it still allows for a wingback to overlap a wide player when needed which in a 3-4-3 is quite unique imo.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Fri 18 May 2012, 16:26

free_cat wrote:That's not a 343 is a 541.
Same as Napoli never plays with 3 at the back, as many have claimed. They play with 3 CB and 2 FB or WB.
Most of the teams argued in this thread didn't play with 3 at the back either, like VDB Madrid, it was 5 at the back. (since when are Roberto Carlos and Salgado midfielders?).

A 343 means you have 4 midfielder, and a midfielder, by definition, doens't constantly go back into the defensive line when defending.

"A midfielder, by definition, doesn't constantly go back into the defensive line when defending"

Its a two way street, though:

A defender - by definition - doesn't constantly go forward to join the forwards when attacking...

So then are they neither defenders nor midfielders, or do the rules only apply to midfielders?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Fri 18 May 2012, 17:33

Laughing
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri 18 May 2012, 18:08

Try actually reading through the thread, or should I add a hash tag to get your attention?
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri 18 May 2012, 18:10

Khaled wrote: Laughing

Martinez>>>>>titos,potatos,tatoos etc

:coffee:
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next