Forza
10 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Official Socceroos Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Official Socceroos Thread

Post by mr-r34 Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Forza wrote:
mr-r34 wrote:
Forza wrote: That would be a national embarrassment.
As opposed the the last 2 games against France and Brazil.
You have to be a fool not to grasp the idea that a successful WC team needs a balance of youth and experience.
You have to be a fool to think i suggested that, i don't care how successful our WC is, chances are we aren't getting out of that group regardless of who is in our squad. Hiddink came out and said after the WC of 06 we needed to start developing, he said he did the best he could with what he had, the very two next coaches did none of that. They sat on their arse and hoped the aging 06 squad would deliver again. Guess what it's 2013 and we need to move on, bar maybe a few of the old boys, most need to go, give the youngsters a chance to taste pressure, so that were better set for the asian cup at home and for the next world cup.

mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57 am

In every department of the football family, there is work to be done. Youth development, grass roots football, youth teams aren't producing talented, good footballers. The cost to play local football for an average kid is quite expensive (200-300 bucks) and more as you go through the ranks. Competitive teams and representative teams are also not being taught how to do the basics (string 3 passes together, ability to make runs and provide an option, keep a good defensive line/structure etc. We have a National Football Curriculum yet we are not applying for local and particularly competitive teams to be sticking by the curriculum.
The youth teams simply don't have the hunger, mentality and spirit to win games. Too much emphasis on performance than the hunger to win games. Without winning games and qualifying to get to the World Cups or Olympics, you don't go to these tournaments.

As for the National Team, Holger simply hasn't taken on the task of letting go of the older players and bringing in the new guys. Is that due to the lack of young talent coming through the ranks? If so, FFA need to look at this problem and use the investment to fix the issue. National coaches shouldn't be relying on the older, aging players to be competing against the world's best. Saying that guys like Lowry, Spiranovic, Sainsbury, Davidson, Herd, McGowan brothers, Rhys Williams are all quality players that should have been slowly blooded through within the international friendlies we organised in order to replace the old and slower fellows like Niell, Ognenoski, Cornflakes, North, Carney, McKay and Deadwhaite (example within the defense). This is where Holger went wrong.

The new coach needs to start from scratch and set standards to the players. He needs to get our winning mentality, confidence, hunger and spirit back. Needs to implement a style of play that is going to win us matches and rejuvenate the team (not all at once but slowly). With Holger our defensive line and overall team structure was a shambles, we couldn't string 3 passes together or keep/use the ball efficiently (aimless longballs to no one ffs), hunger to win the ball back and getting into good positions to recieve a pass.

Everyone (including myself as a fan/coach/referee) need to take a look at ourselves in the mirror and understand what we are trying to achieve in Australian football!
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 am

The Sanchez wrote:The cost to play local football for an average kid is quite expensive (200-300 bucks) and more as you go through the ranks.
This is a huge issue which doesnt get nearly as much attention as it should. To sign up for your local U10s team you need a few hundred to register and then youve got to pay for your kit on top of that and then theres more expenses if you make a rep teams etc. Compare that to rugby league which is $50 to register and for your kit and theres no added costs involved when playing for rep teams etc.

If we want young kids to play football and be invovled in the game these stupid barriers need to be taken down, and in all honesty i cant see any justification for these fees other then greed which is really sad
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:21 pm

What about Neil and his comments, geez FML, kick this guy out the the squad,can't believe his our captain. The handling of the national team is a joke and has been for years, ship the old scrubs who think they deserve to be there because of 06, only keep the ones that actually add value to the squad.

How are they going to bring in the new generation when they are given one chance and shipped if they don't play their best, bring on arnie or ange, hopefully they can bring the squad together and sort shit out.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:14 pm

mr-r34 wrote:What about Neil and his comments, geez FML, kick this guy out the the squad,can't believe his our captain. The handling of the national team is a joke and has been for years, ship the old scrubs who think they deserve to be there because of 06, only keep the ones that actually add value to the squad.

How are they going to bring in the new generation when they are given one chance and shipped if they don't play their best, bring on arnie or ange, hopefully they can bring the squad together and sort shit out.
Agree completely with that first paragraph. Neill is surely out the door now. You cannot publicly insult the young players in the team, no matter what the circumstances. I think that it is he who lacks the ability to play well for his country and his so-called hunger to play is just his self-preservation instincts kicking in.

With regards to the coach, I think that it is very important for Australia to not fall into the trap that England's FA and media have with the continual debate about whether to employ a foreign coach or not. Really, the decision should be about getting a coach with the characteristics for the job, regardless of nationality. And primarily, that means having the ability to RUTHLESSLY sort a mess out, gain the respect of the players, re-establish order and discipline and build a solid tournament team in a relatively short space of time.

My only fear about Guus Hiddink is that whilst the man has it in him to cut ruthlessly, he might come down with "Marcelo Lippi syndrome" and rely on the 2006ers. Ideally, we make a clean break by getting an internationally reputable coach who can speak English (not many out there). I think Arnold has had his chance and I don't think he commands the sort of authority I'm talking about anyway. Ange, on the other hand, has spoken publicly about the Socceroos woes and he has clear tactical ideas. What concerns me about him is that his departure would weaken the A-League at a time when the league has huge momentum and also that he doesn't know how/want to park the bus. I think he will find that playing on the counter with a stacked midfield will get us much further with these players compared to attempting to play a slick passing game with a 4-3-3.

Thoughts?
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Forza wrote:
mr-r34 wrote:What about Neil and his comments, geez FML, kick this guy out the the squad,can't believe his our captain. The handling of the national team is a joke and has been for years, ship the old scrubs who think they deserve to be there because of 06, only keep the ones that actually add value to the squad.

Agree completely with that first paragraph. Neill is surely out the door now. You cannot publicly insult the young players in the team, no matter what the circumstances. I think that it is he who lacks the ability to play well for his country and his so-called hunger to play is just his self-preservation instincts kicking in.

With regards to the coach, I think that it is very important for Australia to not fall into the trap that England's FA and media have with the continual debate about whether to employ a foreign coach or not. Really, the decision should be about getting a coach with the characteristics for the job, regardless of nationality. And primarily, that means having the ability to RUTHLESSLY sort a mess out, gain the respect of the players, re-establish order and discipline and build a solid tournament team in a relatively short space of time.

My only fear about Guus Hiddink is that whilst the man has it in him to cut ruthlessly, he might come down with "Marcelo Lippi syndrome" and rely on the 2006ers. Ideally, we make a clean break by getting an internationally reputable coach who can speak English (not many out there). I think Arnold has had his chance and I don't think he commands the sort of authority I'm talking about anyway. Ange, on the other hand, has spoken publicly about the Socceroos woes and he has clear tactical ideas. What concerns me about him is that his departure would weaken the A-League at a time when the league has huge momentum and also that he doesn't know how/want to park the bus. I think he will find that playing on the counter with a stacked midfield will get us much further with these players compared to attempting to play a slick passing game with a 4-3-3.

Thoughts?
I don't think Guus Hiddink will come down with "Marcelo Lippi syndrome", if i remember correctly he suggested after 06 that we needed to build and bring youth in, if he decides to go with the 06ers his going to look like a massive dud.

I see were you are coming from on the whole if Ange leaves it will cost the a-league, but i think if we don't sort this whole Socceroos issue, we will lose more fans as we have a big tournament ahead followed by a home Asian cup we could possibly win. I honestly think what we need is someone who can come and get the team going hard mentally. I don't think any coach be it Guus, ange or arnold will come in and solve all our problems with tactical adjustments, there just isn't enough time and opportunity to get it done. Someone who can rally the troops, who can connect with them on a personal level and get them to understand what being a Socceroo is about whilst trying to establish a philosophy and culture within the sheds should be put in charge, use the WC as a stepping stone to the some what major event of the Asian cup.

Lets face it were not going to win the WC or even make the quarters, so lets use it as a stepping stone to move in the right direction. Guus coming in for 1 year and leaving after isn't going to do shit for us. I'd go with Ange everyday of the week over Arnold, i just feel Ange has the right mind for the job, at this point of time Arnold prob thinks he deserves without hesitation but i don't think his going to have what it takes to do it. I'd love to see poppa as the coach of the Socceroos one day, maybe down the line after a few more years of coaching and after a few trophy's with the wanderers Wink.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

The other thing that worries me about Ange is that Victory have honestly been fairly poor while he has been there. If he can't turn them around, then how will he cope with the Socceroos?
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Forza wrote:The other thing that worries me about Ange is that Victory have honestly been fairly poor while he has been there. If he can't turn them around, then how will he cope with the Socceroos?
Yeah that's the thing, i would of expected him to be doing wonders with the victory but he just hasn't delivered, in all honestly his still riding his roar success for me and most people.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:59 am

Watched the game this morning and was impressed by all the younger players. Davidson had a very good game and was particularly pleased with how comfortable he was in playing the ball out from the back. Rhys Williams was another bright light within the team who played at right back. Thought he contributed very well in attack and based on this game as well as Asian Cup 2011, his link up play, general passing and crossing is better than Wilkshere. If he isn't playing in the centre of defense then he really should be playing at right back. Holland had a mixed game, his passing improved than the previous few games he has played. Pressing wise, interceptions and winning the ball back was quite good and is a better distributor of the ball than Jedinak (who turned over the ball too many times for my liking). Vidosic found it hard to be involved in the game during the first half but he got more of the ball in the second and started alot of the attacks. Leckie in my opinion is a beast! Such speed, ball control, aerial threat and eye for goal. Can really play anywhere within the front three (his pace and skill is probably more suited at winger).
Ruka needed to play on the left. Good impact player we can use off the bench.
Carney had an off game and should be gone though I have a feeling he may get called up because of his beautful assist for Leckie... Hope he doesn't.
Niell got caught out too many times for a shit opponent. Needs to go and give way for the likes of McGowan, Sainsbury and Spiranvoic...
Bresciano should really be our only player over 30 that should be playing for us. Yet again our best creative player on the field and within Australia.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:17 am

I didn't see the game, but I'll comment on some of the team selections:

Leckie has always played as a winger or wide forward, even back in his Adelaide United days. His pace is incredible and he can be a threat against any team.

I'm sick of talking about Neill. People will say that he kept a clean sheet v Canada and use that as a basis to argue that he should stick around. GTFO already. It was only Canada! No offence intended, but they are probably training with hockey pucks.

Bresciano should be in the squad, but the problem is that he can't run out full games. We won't be getting out of the group stages without a younger alternative. Bresc is best used as a super-sub IMO.

Wilkshere has always been overrated. Not sure why Carney is still starting either.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:12 pm

We didn't keep a clean sheet, Canada kept a clean sheet, they are just absolutely hopeless. If Neil is in our WC squad come the next WC, ill kill myself, wasting so much opportunity for young players to get a chance with every second he is on the field.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Since the saking of Olgar ive heard nothing more then he didnt know how Australians liked to play football, he doesnt understand the Australian footballing culture and we need an Australian to play football the way Australians like it, three statements which reek of irony considering Australia a) has a nanoscopic football culture and b) most people here still call is soccer. Regardless is also reminded me of this

https://2img.net/h/oi42.tinypic.com/15eg6xc.jpg
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie_Gunner Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 am

I think we will be bringing in an Australian coach as getting a foreign one would be too expensive, I do agree though the whole 'he has to be Australian' is ridiculous as it should be down to whoever is best. If they are telling me that someone like Hiddink or Di Matteo would not be a better option then Ange and Arnold (I really hope we dont get that idiot) then who are they kidding? I would love a fellow countryman to coach us but I don't think any of them are good enough or certainly not better then the overseas options we have. There is no guarantee any of them will be anymore of a success then the over seas ones. At the end of the day, I'm sure Holger did not want to get fired so this whole 'oh he didn't care because he was a foreigner' is rubbish. Why wasn't the same said about Graham Arnold when he was fired? Probably because he was incredibly shit, the fact he is up for contention is embarassing to say the least.

I wouldn't mind Ange getting it but I'd rather we get Guus in, even if its short term so we don't get embarassed at the World Cup and then Ange take over from him.
Aussie_Gunner
Aussie_Gunner
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie_Gunner Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:34 am

mr-r34 wrote:We didn't keep a clean sheet, Canada kept a clean sheet, they are just absolutely hopeless. If Neil is in our WC squad come the next WC, ill kill myself, wasting so much opportunity for young players to get a chance with every second he is on the field.

The only players from the 'golden generation' who should be up for WC consideration are Bresciano, Cahill and Schwartzer, that is it. I agree with you, if Neil is in the WC squad then I'll do a suicide pact with you. Although if Graham Arnold is hired then that will be enough for me.
Aussie_Gunner
Aussie_Gunner
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 am

fatman123 wrote:Since the saking of Olgar ive heard nothing more then he didnt know how Australians liked to play football, he doesnt understand the Australian footballing culture and we need an Australian to play football the way Australians like it, three statements which reek of irony considering Australia a) has a nanoscopic football culture and b) most people here still call is soccer. Regardless is also reminded me of this

https://2img.net/h/oi42.tinypic.com/15eg6xc.jpg
Yes, we have to avoid falling into the hole that England's media has with the foreign v domestic coach debate. Just get the best coach. Period.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:23 am

Ange named new Socceroo's coach.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 am

Schwarzer has announced his retirement from the Socceroos.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1172637/Schwarzer-retires-from-Socceroos
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 am

Probably a good move on his part. Legendary player :bow:
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 am

In an press conference he said he no longer had the hunger to play for his country. I would love to see him as the goalkeeping mentor especially with two young keepers in Langerak and Ryan that will probably be picked in the WC squad.
Definately a legendary player and I'm sure everyone will remember him the most from those two saves he made in the Uruguay qualifier.
As for the WC squad we have the following:
Oliver BOZANIC
Mark BRESCIANO
Tim CAHILL
Jason DAVIDSON
Ivan FRANJIC
James HOLLAND
Mile JEDINAK
Josh KENNEDY
Robbie KRUSE
Mitchell LANGERAK (gk)
Matthew LECKIE
Ryan McGOWAN
Matthew McKAY
Mark MILLIGAN
Lucas NEILL
Tommy OAR
Tom ROGIC
Mat RYAN (gk)
Dario VIDOSIC
Rhys WILLIAMS
Alex WILKINSON
Michael ZULLO

I'm pleased to see a younger squad than in previous. Guys like Brosque, Thompson, Og, Carney, Cornflakes, Wilkshere (though he will probably one of the few old guards we will keep to the WC) etc. have been left out. Was hoping Niell and even McKay would go though I'm sure if they can't perform under Ange's philosophy they will be left out next time.
We need to experiment with our replacement for Bresciano. We don't have the players within this squad that are creative, dictating, passing midfielders. Guys like Vidosic, Bouzanic, McKay, Rogic are all attacking midfielders who all play higher up the field and are trained to break a defense through a killer pass, shoot etc. we don't actually have anyone (apart from Bresciano) who can dictate the ball around the pitch. I'm hoping guys like Mooy, Kilkenny, Amini, Massimo Lougano etc. are called up and see whether they can fill in Bresc's shoes after he leaves.
I feel that Rogic will get more minutes off the bench than what he would get under Holger. He will suit Ange's passing game though he needs to get more minutes with his club otherwise Ange won't select him.
Hoping Cahill won't be playing as a nine. Waste of space and practically is invisible there. I feel like Cahill may be a impact player off the bench as a box target man if we are need of a goal. Probably won't suit the 4-3-3 formation and passing game that Ange wants to play.
I like Alex Wilkinson's call up. From what I saw during his Mariners days he is exactly what we need to strengthen the defense. His leadership skills, ability to play from the back well, positioning and tactical awareness is what Niell is lacking. Also much quicker than Niell and be able to cope against quick opposition. Strong and good in the air, he is apparently one of the best centre backs in Korea and its a mystery why he hasn't been called up before.
Rhys Williams looked good at right back and hoping he starts there again against Costa Rica whilst a McGowan and Wilkinson centreback pairing with Davidson at left back (Zullo coming on in the second half). Have no clue who will be in midfield though expect players who can play to Ange's passing/movement style of play... Would like to see Kruse and Leckie on the wings. Two quick and skilful players who can cause chaos all day long with Kennedy as the target man.

Overall good first squad from Ange and I'm sure the likes of Sainsbury, Juric, Troisi, Mooy, Spiranovic, Lowry will all get call ups next friendly as they are all good, performing youngsters that should be in there. Hoping Ange can implement the same style of play as he had at the Roar and we get our national team play attractive, attacking football! It will be a slow process but we have that time.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am

The game on Tuesday may not have been a game where supporters could run butt naked around the streets but certainly the Ange era has started off brightly! There was evidence of what the side was working on at training, signs of renewed spirit and energy, the return of a good defensive structure and organised defensive line and glimpses in attack that could bury our few torrid months for the Socceroos. Tuesday's game is only a step forward and the fans/country need not to get carried away as there is alot of work to be done still.

It was great to see players having pride of their shirt and starting to remember the Hiddink days where we learn't how to pass and protect the ball. We pressed the Costa-Rican's midfield well for the majority of the game, which went a long way in winning the game.
Ange made no secrets off the way he wanted to play! Possession, mobility, ball retention, creativity and pace in the forward third of the pitch are all key elements to the setup he wants the Socceroos to play within and certainly from the game we saw, we saw glimpses of that!
A confidence returned to the side on the ball and there were more forward passes played than in a long time. Sure, Costa Rica didn't put a great deal of pressure on us but the signs of the work in progress are promising.

Matt Ryan is a keeper Ange wants as he comes off his line efficiently and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. A few communication errors with his defenders early in the first half but he gradually became more confident as the game progressed. The same with Davidson. Made a few wayward early on but as the game went on, his passing became more crisper and was getting more involved with play and defended well enough. The more game time Ange gives these guys the better the confidence levels increase!

Ivan Franjic is arguably the epitome of the type of player Postecoglou wants in his side, and he did not look out of place at this level, feeding Kruse cleanly all night, was on the money defensively at right back and often the man scrambling back to defuse dangerous situations.

The centrebacks didn't need much to do as Costa Rica didn't really threaten them much. It was good to see the back four all confidently playing out from the back and the accuracy of the passing, how well the structure was and the organisation but until we see a better attack running at us I'm not going to be making any conclusions especially with Lucas Niell. His pace isn't going to help him against quality opposition!

What an encouraging performance from Mark Milligan and Mile Jedinak playing alongside each other as the screening 'two' in a 4-2-3-1 formation. The balance was solid as Australia dominated midfield and possession. Jedinak's work-rate was outstanding, but what was particularly impressive was his distribution - after a wobbly start, it was one of his sharpest displays in green and gold. Alongside Milligan, they consistently broke down Costa Rica's attack and it's a combination that looks promising going forward.
The more we see Robbie Kruse on the ball, the better. The Bayer Leverkusen man is a menace and a vital outlet. He almost put one on a platter for Matthew Leckie in the first-half, and his pace, movement and footwork are a treat to watch. He lures an incredible amount of fouls on him, which can put Australia into valuable set-piece territory, and also makes some incisive darts through the heart of the defence.

If Tom Rogic can get game time from now to the game in March either at Celtic or on loan that will be fantastic for Australia's WC campaign as his ball control, creativity and change of pace is exactly what we need! Its sad to see Bresciano go however Rogic has shown that he could be a more effective player in Ange's setup.

Matthew Leckie looks like just the sort of bustling, direct striker who prefers the ball on the ground that Australia has lacked for some time, a good foil for the tall Josh Kennedy who always gives his coach an alternative route to goal. And Tim Cahill remains the talisman he always has been for his country, the man who seems to bob up with a goal when it's most needed.

We didn't see a lot of Cahill and Kennedy together, but there mere fact they were on together is another sign that there is a new coach in charge, prepared to try things.

The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:40 am

Thought it was necessary to talk about the World Cup draw
What are your thoughts about our opponents?
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 pm

The Sanchez wrote:Thought it was necessary to talk about the World Cup draw
What are your thoughts about our opponents?
Awful group in terms of our chances of progression. We will see some very interesting games though.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Torres to win another golden boot after he demolishes Australia :bow:
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:03 am

Kruse has apparently done his ACL. Out for season & WC.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:17 am

He has. Real shame.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue May 13, 2014 6:13 am

World Cup squad gets announced tomorrow! Alot of players injured like Williams, Kruse, Sainsbury, Good even Jedi coped a knock on the weekend though excited in which players Ange picks!
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next