Catalan independence process

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by CBarca on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 pm

What are you in favor of, windkick?

What about Free if he's still around?

CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Posts : 16545
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by windkick on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Ummm...I mean I'm on the outside just reading about this stuff. I'm a Mexican American, living in Houston. My opinion is that if 90% something voted for independence, that's a huge % so yea, I'm all for people getting what they want in these situations as it's clear they strongly feel they should be independent for a variety of reasons. Obviously, I understand Spain isn't just going to let it happen. Would be like if the area from Texas to California that used to belong to Mexico, were to vote that they want to be independent. No way would the US let that happen. So yea, I get Spain, who's economy already isn't strong, would be strongly against just letting Catalonia and possibly the Basque county also breaking away. It would likely be a financial disaster for them or maybe everyone involved. But you know what, the way they handled it battering the voters is a total classless disrespect. So fk them I hope Catalonia breaks away, and even the Basque county. No one should be treated that way for trying to voice themselves.

_________________
Luis Suárez : "Nutmegs were my only option."
avatar
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 5933
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by Babun on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

@windkick wrote:Ummm...I mean I'm on the outside just reading about this stuff. I'm a Mexican American, living in Houston. My opinion is that if 90% something voted for independence, that's a huge % so yea, I'm all for people getting what they want in these situations as it's clear they strongly feel they should be independent for a variety of reasons. Obviously, I understand Spain isn't just going to let it happen. Would be like if the area from Texas to California that used to belong to Mexico, were to vote that they want to be independent. No way would the US let that happen. So yea, I get Spain, who's economy already isn't strong, would be strongly against just letting Catalonia and possibly the Basque county also breaking away. It would likely be a financial disaster for them or maybe everyone involved. But you know what, the way they handled it battering the voters is a total classless disrespect. So fk them I hope Catalonia breaks away, and even the Basque county. No one should be treated that way for trying to voice themselves.

43% voters participated. From the ones who voted 90% were for the Catalan independence. There were no international watchers. There were Spaniards who could vote multiple times. It can be argued that the ones who were against the idea of independence didn't go to vote because it was ruled illegal prior.
My source for the numbers:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/26/catalonia-crisis-deepens-president-carles-puigdemont-rules-out-snap-election

One misinformation out of the way, now the next one. The referendum was voted by a slight majourity of the catalan parliament as binding. Binding means, it was not an advisory act like most media portray it. Also, for the independence declaration they assumed a 50+% majourity vote would be enough (also ratified by the catalan parliament with a slight mahourity of 1%).
After the illegal voting, Puigdemont wanted to discuss independence terms only because he had the "majourity", not the real problem like money distribution. Of course, Rajoy didn't budge = stalemate.

Spain is a proper democracy. It means the legeslative, judicative and the executive are separated entities. The judicative has to pursue Puigdemont and his complicies because they broke the law in a very dangerous way, the Spanish gouvernment cannot do anything to stop them otherwise it wouldn't be a democracy.

The moral of the story is, Catalans have all of the autonomy they desire already except for a paycap on how much they have to help out the other regions of Spain. The next gouvernment has to discuss a pay cap with the Spanish gouvernment and forget the whole story.

Another interesting point, the current Spanish constitution was accepted by the Catalans with a 90% majourity in 1970. They want to breach it unilateraly. Well, how about convincing the other parties in a proper democratic way first instead of a Coup d'Etat?

_________________
avatar
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by sportsczy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

There would be more of a popular uprising imo of all this was happening and most of the people wanted independence. The Catalan strike me as pretty hot blooded.

_________________
avatar
sportsczy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 16380
Join date : 2011-12-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by Babun on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 am

@sportsczy wrote:There would be more of a popular uprising imo of all this was happening and most of the people wanted independence.  The Catalan strike me as pretty hot blooded.

I have to correct myself. He didn't get the required number of votes in the Catalan parliament for the binding referendum. 90 votes were required, he got 70. Still, he pressed forward with the referendum against the decision of the parliament = democracy eco smile

_________________
avatar
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

That's because the opposition were cowards and rather than vote against they didn't show

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 22905
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by Hapless_Hans on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Next year, Andorra wil adopt the OECD standard for automated finacial data exchange, which means it will have to share banking data with Spain.
There are close ties between Barca and Andorran banks, and between the Catalunyan leadership and Andorran banks.

Basically they've all deposited loads of money there to escape taxes, and next year Andorra will have to make it known to the Spanish tax authorities.
Probably, Barca players get money deposited there as a regular thing.

THAT is also surely one major reason why the Catalunyan leadership, and Barca, are pressing ahead with this issue so mindlessly.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23029
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalan independence process

Post by Babun on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:That's because the opposition were cowards and rather than vote against they didn't show

The opposition is afraid to vote = democracy.

_________________
avatar
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum