Arsenal vs Southampton Empty Arsenal vs Southampton

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Arsenal vs Southampton Cazorla-arteta
El Maestro y El Sorprendente
Arsenal vs Southampton
Saturday 15:00 BST
Emirates Stadium

Home sweet Home

Believe it or not, it will be nearly a month on Saturday since we have played a game at the Emirates. Our last 2 fixtures were away to Stoke and Liverpool while the International break in between meant we would have to wait sometime till we can play at home again, so the crowd should really be buoyant. However the problem will come within the players themselves, and by this i mean we are generally lethargic after the international break. Most players return from far away places while the lack of training also kicks in. It is a good thing we are at home but we do face a team that can really punish us with their fluid attack if we show the signs of sluggishness.

Southampton have lost their last 3 games. However that is not the true reflection of their performances. They have a very good attack and and have scored 4 goals against the Manchester clubs so far despite losing both the matches. Since they are a new team, they are probably learning with experience and having 2 weeks without any football. Adkins probably have found and fixed a lot of their errors so expect an improved Southampton side.

Team news

Well the Good news is that Most of our Long term Injured players are in training. In 4 weeks they should all be in the squad ( hopefully ) so that includes Wilshere, Frimpong, Sagna and Rosicky. Szczesny is back to fitness and will be in the squad too. Theo will be tested tomorrow The bad news however is that Diaby is out for the game ( more as a pre-caution) and has a chance to be in the CL squad if not Man city for sure. Apart from that Everyone is fine

Southampton team news tomorrow

Probable Arsenal team

---------------------------------Szczesny-----------------------------------

Jenkinson------------Mertesacker---------------Vermaelen---------------Gibbs

------------------Arteta--------------------Coquelin--------------------------

Gervinho-----------------------Cazorla---------------------------Podolski------

-------------------------Giroud-------------------------------------------------

I can't really think of which team Wenger will go with. He might start Koscielny or Ramsey instead of Mert n Coquelin. Very hard to predict. Maybe Theo will start if he is fit instead of Gervinho.

Southampton Probable

----------------------------Davis----------------------------------

Clyne-------------Hooiveld-------------Fonte-----------------Fox----

----------Davis-------------Schneiderlin----------Ward-Prowse-----

Puncheon----------------Lambert------------------------Lallana-----

Match facts (from opta stats, thanks to sina )

• Southampton have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them than any other team (19).

• Arsenal have allowed their opponents the joint-fewest shots on target in the Premier League (7).

• Arsenal have kept a clean sheet in each of their opening three league games for the first time since 1924/25.

• Kelvin Davis has saved the last three penalties he has faced in the Premier League - v Man United and Man City this season, and Aston Villa (May 2006).

• Rickie Lambert has scored against both Man United and Man City this season. Only Defoe and Crouch managed this in the Premier League in 2011/12.

• Southampton have dropped the most points from winning positions this season (6).

• Arsenal recovered more points from winning positions than any other team in the 2011-12 Premier League (24).

• The Gunners have won none of their last four Premier League home games. The last time they went five without a win on home soil was in 1995 in the run up to George Graham's sacking.

• Arsenal scored a divisional high nine goals from counter attacks last season, have already had more shots following fast breaks this term (4) and scored their first goal via a counter.

• Santi Cazorla has set up the joint-most scoring chances for team-mates from open play along with Park Ji-Sung (10).

Final say

It should be a straight forward game, but Arsenal are known to help the struggling teams...after all who can forget Hull city at home or wigan. We need to play like we have been. Defend as a team and then attack as a team. Giroud needs a goal, that goes without saying. It will be a good chance for Ramsey or coquelin to make their mark in the team. Will be interesting to see How Koscielny and Vermaelen work in this system rather than mertesacker and Vermaelen. If kos starts.

Can't wait for the game really

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Southampton Empty Re: Arsenal vs Southampton

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I think this game will be difficult. I expect that most of our players, having played two international games after a tremendous effort against Liverpool, will probably not be 100%. Southampton, meanwhile, are going to be fresh after a week off and will be up for another big match.

We know they can hurt the big sides. Their midfield and front line have a lot of energy, pace and trickery that can create opportunities and score them. Lambert is a threat in the air and from distance, so it would probably be wise to stick with Mertesacker over Koscielny. Lallana and Puncheon both like to come inside, so Jenkinson and Gibbs will have to be weary.

Alternatively, Southampton may go with Guly do Prado, who's more physical, or Gaston Ramirez, who would either play centrally or allow Lallana to play centrally. Plenty their for us to be weary of and it wouldn't shock me if we didn't keep a clean sheet.

I'm pretty confident that we can dominate the midfield. Diaby would overrun this midfield on his own, but without him I'm sure Arteta and Cazorla will do the job. So long as we're mindful of Davis' tendency to make runs from deep, we'll be fine.

Southampton's weak point is their backline. Fox is suspect and should be targeted as a weak point. I don't think Hooiveld and Fonte are good enough to handle Podolski, Cazorla and Giroud if they all click.

I'm confident of a win, but expecting something like 2-1. Could easily draw or lose this one if we're not careful.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Nice work RG.

Some more interesting stats:

* Arsenal have kept a clean sheet in each of their opening three league games for the first time since 1924/25

* Arsenal haven't won in their last 4 home league games. Last time they didn't win 5 in a row was 1995 before Graham sacking.

* If Arsenal keep clean sheet against S'ton, it'll be first time they have kept 4 successive clean sheets in opening 4 league games in 109 years.

SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Very Happy

Another clean sheet would be amazing. Imagine Arsenal keeping 4 clean sheets in a row lol.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

109 years. Wow. That is one record worth aspiring for.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Nice work RG

as jay said we should target their full backs
when they try to play from the back their center backs spread and full backs push higher up our wide men should pressure them and kelvin davis can be dodgy with his distribution

they probably will come to play at high tempo with high pressure level themselves and then retreat around hour mark or sth
so important we score first goal and invite them to come in latter stages(as their physical level will drop) and our midfield stay as unit
also their zonal marking defending looked unconvincing in set piece. wise movement and we can score from set pieces -Verm come on captain bounce
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm

I think most of you would be surprised at how easy this game would be,

SOton use their midfield to build momentum, that does not work against Arsenal not even Barca could do it at Emirates

all we should worry about is finishing
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Walcott must start, Danny Fox isn't the best defender and Theo destroys any defender when he has space. Also if Diaby can't start I would prefer Coquelin over Ramsey. I wouldn't start Koscielny till we concede a goal. Other than Lambert and Lallana, Rodriguez is a fantastic finisher but as long as he plays on the wing I don't think he'll be as effective as he can be - that said I'm not Jenkinson's biggest fan.

Szczesny
Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs
Arteta Coquelin
Walcott Cazorla Podolski
Giroud

Just hope we keep a cleen-sheet and Giroud scores a goal, that's all.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Excellent job RG, I dont think it will be a easy game for both sides. A lot of pressure in this game, I would love to have another clean sheet and a win but at this point a 3 point will great.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Actually Jenkinson in defense is as safe as it can gets for a young player like him but his attacking contribution needs to be improved.

I also prefer starting Coquelin ahead of Ramsey). Discipline in midfield is a must to win these matches.

We have to use our strength and thats keeping possession as much as we can with Coquelin supporting our defense.

The big question is, whos gonna start on the flanks.

Gervinho on the right with Podolski on the left is my favorite for this match with Giroud upfront.

Gervinho will also help Jenkinson tracking back.

Also, Koscielny deserves a chance this time ahead of Per.

Opposition will play counter attack and thats why we need Kosc in there because he is fast and really disciplined.

Per is good when we defend more.

Id go with this line up:

Chesny

Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs

Coquelin Arteta

Gervinho Cazorla Podolski

Giroud

As RG said... keeping a clean sheet will boost our momentum to the roof.

Im hoping for a comfortable win here.

Cazorla and Podolski are communicating really well lately and now they waiting for Giroud to join the deadly group. Smile

Cant wait...

Btw, I just purchased a 1600k package to visit Emirates in April.

Three nights in a luxury hotel, executive seat, lunch in bufe with players and coaches (hopefully) and I get to meet a couple Arsenal players.

Probably will do one sooner, will see.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37 pm

So jealous HB, I hope I can go after Christmas to London for a game.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:10 pm

I hope Giroud scores a hat trick tomorrow so that all this critics will stop, and we can move on.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:34 pm

@RG Nice ! well i didn't mind Nice of France u know LOL but really nice job m8...however ,hope 4 a win even thought it won't be that easy..just coz they'v got 2 Davis !loool @me ! Embarassed .....
btw..@HB ..hmmmm u'r planning to visit Arsenal without asking me !!! Mad hope u'r talking about April 1... rofl (JUst Kidding)....seriously.
Ahh ..when u meet Rita Ora ...pls say to her I love U...say to her 4 me u know..not 4 u ... pirat

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chippy Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Fantastic read RL thanks.

I think he will start Ramsey instead of Diaby and will prob play Gervinho. We shall see.
Just put a fiver on Arsenal to win Giroud to score first at 20/1.
Would love it it Giroud scored as I think he needs it.

Chippy
Chippy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:05 pm

i would like to start Gervinho instead over Walcott also keeping the fitness issue in mind... Also will start the more experienced Ramsey over Coquelin..
and hoping that Giroud scores... should be a 3 pointer..
Very disappointed that there is no telecast in India.. They are showing QPR-Chelsea match.. :brickwall:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24 pm

@Chippy that bet looks neat. As long as our defense stands firm, I'm positive Giroud will score first.

How come everyone is for Gervs starting? Is Walcott injured or has some medical concerns?

Coquelin for Diaby for me. Time to back up those words with a fine performance at home. Ramsey could be subbed in a bit sooner like 55-60th minute so Cazorla stays fresh for the CL.

Can't stress how much I want that clean sheet. bounce
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Good preview RG!

They are unpredictable side and can cause lots of trouble to the opposition. Lambert is thier danger man, can score goals with his head and with his feet. He is also dominant in air. I would start Per over Kos for this one because he has been doing well so far for Arsenal and he is good at air too.

I hope we can keep clean sheet but a win would make me more than happy.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Your Kind words keep me n Sam going Smile

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Szczesny back in goal tomorrow. Coquelin in for Diaby. Via Geoff from twitter ( arsenal inside guy )
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 pm

remember when jack said he feels comfy playing with cesc that gives him time in that role and such
now Ramsey can benefit playing with cazorla
also by starting coquelin does that mean Arteta role will change then?
would have preferred Arteta kept his role and Ramsey act as a link midfielder
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 pm

RealGunner wrote:Thanks a lot guys. Your Kind words keep me n Sam going Smile

They sure do Very Happy

Interesting speculation on twitter from 'Arsenal I.T.K. Talk of Coquelin, Ramsey, Koscielny & Gervinho all starting.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Arsenal XI in last home game v Southampton (2-2, Oct 30 2004): Lehmann; Lauren Toure Cygan Cole; Ljungberg Vieira Edu Reyes; Bergkamp Henry.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 am

Nice work RG!

I don't know why Koscielny'd start over Mertesacker when he hasn't put a wrong foot in this season and I'd think Merteswagger would be suited to marking Lambert, but I digress, both are fine options for this match, I just don't want to see a great CB partnership broken up prematurely and unnecessarily.

Can't wait for the match, international break left me bored to tears. I hate it. I hate it so hard.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:56 am

Koscielny shouldn't start because if we concede a goal he'll become the scapegoat and there will be conclusions like he's overrated or even get booed in the Emirates Laughing

It could harm him.

Also Gervinho should never ever play in the right wing IMO.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 am

Apparently Podolski is starting upfront with ox and Gervinho on the wings
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin