Is Fernando Torres one of the worst strikers in Europe?

+29
Luca
Rev
CBarca
Le Samourai
Be/\/ceCALI
McLewis
Blue
Muzza
Onyx
Zealous
Abramovich
Red Alert
kiranr
donttreadonred
Kamikaze692
stevieg8
Highburied
Die Borussen
Swanhends
FennecFox7
baresi
DeviAngel
Dante
McAgger
Art Morte
RedOranje
The Franchise
Gil
Clockwork Orange
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Fernando Torres one of the worst strikers in Europe? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Fernando Torres one of the worst strikers in Europe?

Post by Zealous Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 pm

He had that one great season with Liverpool where he was genuinely fantastic. Aside from that season he was always good, just not super-special.

As for worst striker obviously no lol but maybe he's the worst high profile striker.

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Is Fernando Torres one of the worst strikers in Europe? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Fernando Torres one of the worst strikers in Europe?

Post by Onyx Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 pm

His primary job is to score goals. He doesn't score many currently.

However that doesn't make him a bad striker.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzza Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm

no, but nowhere near one the best.

Muzza
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Sorry chelsea fans but he suits red better Smile
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm

His bank account probably thinks he looks better in blue.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Clockwork Orange wrote:We have been hearing the word off form used for almost 3 years now, surely it is time for people to accept that he is just a bad striker. My friend is arguing that he will find his form. I don't think Chelsea pasid £50 million for a lottery.

Your friend is deluded; no fair-minded person could think that. There is no sign of Torres getting better and coming good, in fact he is getting worse and worse. Every excuse in the book has been used in defending him; after 3 managers, different tactics, complete overhaul of our squad he still sucks. Can’t see a rationale for someone to defend him or think he can come good.

11% of Torres touches result in losing possession, which is the worst in EPL among strikers. Forget the fact the man is not scoring goals and not moving into goal scoring positions, but atm he is also a complete liability to his teammates in our buildup and attacks.

Also it should be noted that Torres has played more minutes in all club competitions then Messi and Ronaldo this season. He has gotten a lot of opportunities and a lot of support from the fans and the manager. He has gotten every opportunity to succeed, but he keeps failing.

His pace is gone, but his biggest problem is confidence and a weak mentality. He just doesn’t have the strong mentality to play for Chelsea and play through intense adversity.

Last edited by Blue on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Not even gonna lie. I'm still a Torres fan.

He just doesn't have the same confidence he had and I think it's got a lot to do with the price tag Liverpool put on him and the way they offloaded him to Chelsea.

That said, his play is still good in all areas, but finishing and final ball movement. I chalk both up to a severe lack of confidence. I personally think the time has come for him to leave the PL and go somewhere where he can play under less pressure. Back home to Spain seems like the best place for that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 am

Zealous wrote:He had that one great season with Liverpool where he was genuinely fantastic. Aside from that season he was always good, just not super-special.

As for worst striker obviously no lol but maybe he's the worst high profile striker.

Before moving to Chelsea, Torres had the best goal to game ratio in the history of the PL beating the likes of RvN and Henry...

McLewis wrote:Not even gonna lie. I'm still a Torres fan.

He just doesn't have the same confidence he had and I think it's got a lot to do with the price tag Liverpool put on him and the way they offloaded him to Chelsea.

That said, his play is still good in all areas, but finishing and final ball movement. I chalk both up to a severe lack of confidence. I personally think the time has come for him to leave the PL and go somewhere where he can play under less pressure. Back home to Spain seems like the best place for that.

Don't agree with that. It's more the fact at Liverpool he was the star man. He was loved, adored, treated like a God. Then he left and the relationship with the Liverpool fans he once had was gone. He needed to be nurtured by Chelsea as he's one of those players that that play for the supporters and is a well, a confidence player.

He didn't get that support from Chelsea. Sure, he got it at the start(ish) but he was always behind Drogba as after all, Didier is a Chelsea legend. Torres is "just" another player at CFC and with his injuries bullying him into his decline he's never really found it there. I'm certain if he moves abroad Torres will come back. You can't lose quality.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 am

nowhere near one of the worst.

I still rate him, and disagree that he lost his pace. He's still very fast..it's definitely something else that's getting to him. when Torres plays well, he's unstoppable
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:57 am

Truly believe he can be a decent inside forward.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:40 am

ynwa wrote:
Zealous wrote:He had that one great season with Liverpool where he was genuinely fantastic. Aside from that season he was always good, just not super-special.

Before moving to Chelsea, Torres had the best goal to game ratio in the history of the PL beating the likes of RvN and Henry...

McLewis wrote:Not even gonna lie. I'm still a Torres fan.

Don't agree with that. It's more the fact at Liverpool he was the star man. He was loved, adored, treated like a God. Then he left and the relationship with the Liverpool fans he once had was gone. He needed to be nurtured by Chelsea as he's one of those players that that play for the supporters and is a well, a confidence player.

He didn't get that support from Chelsea. Sure, he got it at the start(ish) but he was always behind Drogba as after all, Didier is a Chelsea legend. Torres is "just" another player at CFC and with his injuries bullying him into his decline he's never really found it there. I'm certain if he moves abroad Torres will come back. You can't lose quality.

That price tag hung on his shoulders like heavy weights, that's what I mean. Some players wear that price tag well and respond to the pressure positively (CR7)...players like Torres, simply don't. You don't move to one of your club's great rivals for that type of cheddar and just seamlessly adapt. Was never going to happen like that and I think a lot of people were kidding themselves if they thought otherwise.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 am

I'm still waiting for this awful thread to float down and back a page into obscurity Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Clockwork Orange Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 am

CBarca wrote:I'm still waiting for this awful thread to float down and back a page into obscurity Laughing

Wants thread to dissapear, bumps thread up telling us how he wants thread to dissapear. I would nt say my IQ is the highest but even Forrest Gump would :facepalm: at this. Go and play with your crayons.
Clockwork Orange
Clockwork Orange
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:04 am

just send him as christmas gift to us Chelsea pls mr Abramovich What a Face
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 am

Kamikaze692 wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:Torres is average. He has never been good. All he had is explosiveness and never varied his game, just like kaka.
Gerrard was feeding him all day and people somehow were acting like he was the best striker in the world. His first touch is awful, he has average awareness, can't finish for his life, and is now not as fast as he used to be.
Spoken like a true 16 year old eco smile 30 goals in debut season in england, most prolific foreign goal scorer in a debut season in England, yet
He has never been good

Thumbs up

One good season makes him amazing? FFS all he had is speed he was useless outside of that. People weren't hyping higuain nearly as much when he scored almost as many goals.

Overrated junk. Why do you think he struggled at athletico? He only played good under rafa, because rafa knew how to bring the best out of him.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 am

Clockwork Orange wrote:
CBarca wrote:I'm still waiting for this awful thread to float down and back a page into obscurity Laughing

Wants thread to dissapear, bumps thread up telling us how he wants thread to dissapear. I would nt say my IQ is the highest but even Forrest Gump would :facepalm: at this. Go and play with your crayons.

Jog on mate I bumped it at the top of the page.

Talking about IQ is unfortunate in your position, seeing as your the OP of this thread Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:07 am

When did Torres ever struggle at Atletico? rofl

Just because he wasn't hitting 30 with a garbage team back when La Liga WASN'T a complete joke doesn't mean he struggled lol. His best teammates back then were a 16 year old Aguero and Kiki motherf**king Musampa. Laughing

I mean there's a reason Real, Barca, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Milan and Man United were ALL after him for years.

Educate yourself.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Blue wrote:His pace is gone, but his biggest problem is confidence and a weak mentality. He just doesn’t have the strong mentality to play for Chelsea and play through intense adversity.

I find it ironic how he gets "all the support" from Chelsea supporters but is only supported by Gil on here. Every other poster analyses everything he does wrong and is delighted when he gets a red card or is injured as he doesn't play. I'm not even going to discuss the majority of fans that go to SB as he's been booed more than twice since joining Chelsea. Great support that.

To the part quoted, are you taking the piss? He doesn't have the strong mentality to play for someone like Chelsea? That's cute lol.

McLewis wrote:That price tag hung on his shoulders like heavy weights, that's what I mean. Some players wear that price tag well and respond to the pressure positively (CR7)...players like Torres, simply don't. You don't move to one of your club's great rivals for that type of cheddar and just seamlessly adapt. Was never going to happen like that and I think a lot of people were kidding themselves if they thought otherwise.

Oops. It looks like I've misread your first post. I thought you meant it wasn't a confidence issue. :\

Saying that, I don't think the price tag is that much of an issue to be honest. I do agree the media milk everything and Torres is a target for them, but he's never really cared for what the media have to say. I think the issue is more the fact that the Chelsea fans [not all] believe what the media publish and don't show enough support when it comes to Torres. That's the real issue imo. I mean, like I previously said, he was the poster boy for Liverpool. In nearly every game in red, he'd have a song sang. Even when playing poorly. The fact that we showed we cared made him play for us.

He then went to Chelsea, the relationship with the fans in red was broken and this hurt him deeply. I'm sure it still effects him today. He's constantly in the media talking about us stating "Liverpool fans don't know the true story blah blah". And then the fans at Chelsea always saw him as a shadow to Drogba. The gameplan was all about Drogba too. I'm certain he came out and said something like 'I didn't care if we won' or something along those lines. It definitely is a confidence issue, like you've said.

I detest the Mancs, I really really do but you look at the way they support RvP and the way Chelsea fans support Torres and it's incomparable. RvP settled in fine as the Mancs let him fit in. I really don't think it has anything to do with fact that he's playing for a rival imo - it's more the fact that he wasn't showed the nurturing he needed to succede.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:
Kamikaze692 wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:Torres is average. He has never been good. All he had is explosiveness and never varied his game, just like kaka.
Gerrard was feeding him all day and people somehow were acting like he was the best striker in the world. His first touch is awful, he has average awareness, can't finish for his life, and is now not as fast as he used to be.
Spoken like a true 16 year old eco smile 30 goals in debut season in england, most prolific foreign goal scorer in a debut season in England, yet
He has never been good

Thumbs up

One good season makes him amazing? FFS all he had is speed he was useless outside of that. People weren't hyping higuain nearly as much when he scored almost as many goals.

Overrated junk. Why do you think he struggled at athletico? He only played good under rafa, because rafa knew how to bring the best out of him.
Err... i didnt know Torres struggled at Pathetico. Dont know your sense behind that statement - he made it to the World Cup 06 squad based on his performances for the Rojiblancos. Not scoring 30 goals a season is not the same as struggling.

Also, u conveniently forgot that his debut season for Liverpool was his only injury free campaign. He managed 30+ league games for only one season in Merseyside Smile
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 pm

RedOranje wrote:We're all aware that Torres is/was no Henry but to say he had average awareness and an awful first touch is just as much an overstatement as those saying he was the best in the world (if not moreso)

His first touch was pretty bad, to be fair. Very Happy

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:01 pm

It's a disgrace he never pushed himself to get a consistent first touch. His pace used to bail him out before but he's sadly lost that now.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Maybe because Gil isn't actually a Chelsea fan ;-) just like Kumar Singh not Spanish dun dun dunnnnnnn!

Ps another fail giggity post why do you guys bother replying to him.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:48 am

Stats aren't anything. I'd rather have someone who would contribute to the overall game then just score.

OK, I did exaggerate a bit. But he was definitely overrated in my opinion, I don't like one trick ponies. And he isn't consistent enough. To be, sure he was what could have been, but being injury prone and consistency and all that is about the player as a whole as well. I judge him with those negative qualities.

Abramovich, you sure are contributing as well with that delightful post Rolling Eyes

How you about you try refuting or debating my argument instead of talking shit behind your computer?
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:11 am

Well your points are flawed to the level in which any football fan whos watched football for a relatively long time ie 5 years or more I suppose would know that, this Torres is only pace argument in full of shite.

In context, its like pointing out that the sky is black at night that is how obvious and poor the post is hence no real reply is needed and a waste of time it is to try and post real football stuff.

- One good season

- Struggled at Althetico yet somehow manages to be a huge signing for Liverpool (maybe record at the time? not sure on that one) with Man Utd also after him. Seems legit

Am not here to teach uneducated kids, google is your friend. Research a little before posting stuff, then you won't look like such an idiot.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 am

But he only does have pace.. Name me one other outstanding quality he had as well. His passing is OK, but his technique is poor. Playing with alonso and gerrard as well is going to get you alot of chances..

FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am

Giggity5313 wrote:
How you about you try refuting or debating my argument instead of talking shit behind your computer?

There's 2798 reasons I can call you a hypocrit from this post. Smile
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next