TheRedStag
white_star
52 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Glory hunting! Empty Glory hunting!

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

I think this needs to be discussed!!!

I have an opinion on this so please no insults just thoughts and discussions! Everyone is entitle to their opinion!

If you can relate to the following then they are gloryhunting traits in my eyes. I was brought up this way so respect that!

1. will often choose a big club which is guaranteed of years at the top bracket of clubs
2. have no connection to the club
3. foreign to the country and city of the club
4. will overuse club mottos (which makes it more evident)
5. never been to many games (if not any)
6. will never go many games ever
7. will use the excuse of geography to not go to games
8. have limited merchandise before the successful years (most likely none)
9. does not know the history, chants or culture of the club
10. always in the armchair during matchdays
11. uses the talk of tactics and transfers to compensate for the lack of all round knowledge of the club (history and culture of the clubs, attendance of games, lack of knowledge or care factor about the direction of the club off field etc.)
12. will not be effected by football tragedies as much as locals
13. will often be the most biased towards to compensate for the glory hunter status
14. will show more hate for other clubs to compensate for their glory hunter status
15. have a club in their own country, don't have the guts to support them
16. will never talk about the years before the club started to become successful
17. at games (if attended) will be the quiet ones who never chant or make a noise
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Glory hunting! Empty Re: Glory hunting!

Post by TheRedStag Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

Most of those 17 points have nothing to do with "glory hunting" as I understand the term.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 am

^ why do you say that?
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 am

Because point 1 basically says what glory hunting is and then you slowly move away from that as you progress through the next 16points.

like point 17......................."at games (if attended) will be the quiet ones who never chant or make a noise"

to me, that has nothing to do with glory hunting.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 am

That one was exaggerated but the other ones are true or at least I believe they are.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 am

So in order to be a real fan you cant support a big club, you cant over use club mottos, you have to have been to many games at which you have to be loud, have a lot of merchandise- and only from before they were successful, you have to be from the area and know all the chants (but better not over use them)

am i understanding you correctly?

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

What's next? I can't listen to american music becouse I'm not american?

I listen to whatever sounds enjoyable, the same is with the club I support. I support the club I enjoy supporting the most.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am

If that's what 'glory hunting' means, then what's wrong with 'glory hunting'?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:32 am

According to you then 85% of the members on GL are glory hunters.
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

Vandeez think what you want this is a discussion thread take what you will from it.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am

Well this makes no sense.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

See 85% of GL members can't have a discussion on a topic they disagree with my point has been proven thank you.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

All im trying to do is understand, but you have yet to actually respond to either of the posts i have made (1 in this thread, and 1 in the "I suspect that Mourinho and Ronaldo are objectives of PSG" thread)

its easy to spurt out ideals, yet you havent defended them.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

Dont agree with this at all .For one I am from a country which is nowhere near the best in footballing terms even though there is a lot of grassroots popularity. Further the league and clubs are nothing great, not that that is an excuse , there are quite a few famous clubs in India specially the ones in Bengal and Goa which has many dedicated followers.( Bengal derby is as passionate as any el clasico) . But I dont live in those states , and the coverage and exposure hasnt been too great till recently either .Started following football in the 06 world cup ,was instantly taken up with zidane ,used to play fifa 2005 side by side too, used to play with zidane's team which i found were madrid .Found they had beckham ronaldo etc too , then googled a bit and started following them since the 06-07 season .Of course the matches were very late for a 12 year old but in time got used to seeing matches at those times and now stay up till 4 to see the match despite having an exam the next day .I think the above mentioned reasons do not make me a gloryhunter , and geography is a very valid excuse, I am not am ulti millionaire that i can afford to go to Spain just to watch a clasico, plus there are other obligations like school or college although it is one of my to do things in life .
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:07 pm

white_star wrote:I think this needs to be discussed!!!

I have an opinion on this so please no insults just thoughts and discussions! Everyone is entitle to their opinion!

If you can relate to the following then they are gloryhunting traits in my eyes. I was brought up this way so respect that!

1. will often choose a big club which is guaranteed of years at the top bracket of clubs Normally one isn't born with a set team. As one grows watching a team they tend to support it. Then learn about the history of the club
2. have no connection to the club Connection as in? Founding the club?
3. foreign to the country and city of the club What? Makes no sense. I speak Spanish. Madrid are Spanish. Boom. *sarcasm*
4. will overuse club mottos (which makes it more evident) overuse like how? Sentence Enhancers... HALA MADRID
5. never been to many games (if not any) Buy me a ticket? I've gone every time when it's possible here in the states
6. will never go many games ever I can guarantee someone DREAM about being able to see their club play one day
7. will use the excuse of geography to not go to games Well not much you can against an ocean.
8. have limited merchandise before the successful years (most likely none) Yeah. This I can say it's glory hunting
9. does not know the history, chants or culture of the club But willing to learn.
10. always in the armchair during matchdays The facq? Better yet why not a wheelchair?
11. uses the talk of tactics and transfers to compensate for the lack of all round knowledge of the club (history and culture of the clubs, attendance of games, lack of knowledge or care factor about the direction of the club off field etc.)
13. will often be the most biased towards to compensate for the glory hunter status
14. will show more hate for other clubs to compensate for their glory hunter status
16. will never talk about the years before the club started to become successful
17. at games (if attended) will be the quiet ones who never chant or make a noise

I'm taking a shit and can't be bothered to finish
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:All im trying to do is understand, but you have yet to actually respond to either of the posts i have made (1 in this thread, and 1 in the "I suspect that Mourinho and Ronaldo are objectives of PSG" thread)

its easy to spurt out ideals, yet you havent defended them.

I believe in what I posted. My way of thinking is a true hardcore fan wants to be at the game, where the jerseys and scarfs, chant the name of the club and players! Be close to the other fans and cheer the team together! To me that is what supporting is. Liking a club is fine but you can't call yourself a supporter in my opinion. What are your thoughts? How do you see club support. Can we discuss this or will everyone act childish and not post their views?
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Lord hades thank you for good points of discussion. Colo to an extent you tried and I respect that. I am tryi to gather different views on this subject.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm

rofl just think about the percentage of people that are either supporting Real Madrid & Barcelona and know absolutely nothing or just a little about other teams in the league or La Liga In general
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I don't define being fan of a club like you, you become fan if you've grown up with the team, cried with loses and celebrated with the wins.

Valdano says "Football is an excuse for happiness", we watch football and become fan of a team because it brings joy to us. you take being fan of something a bit seriously, you don't need to have their merchandise to prove you're the "Real" fan. football is global sport, that's why we gather here to discuss our interests with fellow fans, if everyone supported the club within their countries there would be no forum.

Last edited by Pedram on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Epoto wrote: rofl just think about the percentage of people that are either supporting Real Madrid & Barcelona and know absolutely nothing or just a little about other teams in the league or La Liga In general

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

Lord hades you can see is fan of Madrdi. Maybe I can somehow see the light with him since he's from India and well their football is not that popular. People like sportcrazy and vandeez look like their from big European countries with big teams so why choose Madrid. Sports is even saying he supports like 5 different teams that is ridiculous in my eyes.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 pm

So who made the rule that you can't support a team from another country?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I personally disagree. I try not to live in a world of black and white- or in this case ultras and glory hunters. There is more grey area in this matter.

For me, the most important thing about being a fan or supporting a club is the enjoyment you get from watching a particular club to the point where you fully understand and support the clubs philosophy.

its not realistic to say that the only people who are fans are people who can go to games all the time. Am I going to uproot my life and move to Madrid because I love to see them play? Ive certainly fantasized about it, but its not realistic because thats not where my life, family and friends are.

Ive been watching Madrid since I was a little kid, am I not a fan? does that mean I don't support them even though I have watched them for years, bought numerous kits, argued on forums about them, etc. etc.?

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Vandeez why Madrid If I may ask?

Mt there is no rule this is my opinion read please!
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Ok so what's wrong with supporting a team from another country?

From what I've heard about glory hunting, it basically means supporting a team, then when they start to decline, moving onto another team etc etc.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

white_star wrote:I think this needs to be discussed!!!

1. will often choose a big club which is guaranteed of years at the top bracket of clubs

It's perfectly normal for neutral fans or new fans of football to start following the more successfully clubs since these are the clubs that are usually more enjoyable to watch. In other cases, these are the clubs that are marketed the most. The vast majority of fans in the world begun supporting their teams for these reasons.

2. have no connection to the club

Likewise, the majority fans have no connection to their clubs. In any case, I believe this to be the other way around: support then connect.

3. foreign to the country and city of the club

This means nothing. I don't live in London, so that means I can't support Arsenal? Can't see any reasoning behind this.

4. will overuse club mottos (which makes it more evident)

Not particularly relevant.

5. never been to many games (if not any)

Logistically and financially it's just not possible for many.

6. will never go many games ever

Again, not possible to many.

I don't go to many Arsenal game despite living only a couple of hours away from the stadium. The price of the ticket and the travel makes it very difficult, not to mention it's almost impossible for non-member fans like me to even be able to buy a ticket in the first place.

7. will use the excuse of geography to not go to games

It's a damn good excuse since, funnily enough, travelling costs a lot of money and people have better and more important things to spend on than travelling to see a football match.

8. have limited merchandise before the successful years (most likely none)

Success drives sales. It's just how it is.

9. does not know the history, chants or culture of the club

Like with the connection, this is something that's learned.

10. always in the armchair during matchdays

Should I stand up when I watch Arsenal then?

Haven't really seen this.

Completely dependant on the type of person, not the type of fan.

Location alone isn't enough for fans to support clubs.

This is irrelevant in most discussions about football.

What if they paid a lot of money and travelled many miles to go watch their team? Are they still a glory hunter?

I think you have a very narrow minded view of what constitutes a supporter. A lot of this is just illogical. Imagine this scenario:

You're a new fan looking for a team to support. You decided it'd be best to support your local team. You can afford to see them every game and are willing to sing your heart out during games. You know the team's history and culture inside and out.

It just so happens that your local team is currently the most successful team in the country and are enjoying their best period to date.

Does that make you a glory hunter?

By definition of the phrase, it would.

This is why I believe the label to be stupid and ultimately meaningless. I believe that the only quality you can question supporters on is loyalty. If you are loyal and stick by your team in all situations, then you're a proper fan in my eyes.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next