Nishankly
donttreadonred
fatman123
Arquitecto
Red Alert
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

#1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge Empty #1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge

Post by Red Alert Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 am

It's official now, so I guess he deserves his own thread. The other thread is for rumours after all.

Daniel Sturridge's move to Liverpool FC nears after he passes his medical

By James Pearce, Liverpool Echo
Dec 24 2012

DANIEL STURRIDGE is on the brink of making a £12million move to Liverpool FC from Chelsea after passing his medical.

The 23-year-old striker was on Merseyside yesterday to undergo a series of tests after agreeing personal terms with the Reds.

There is unlikely to be any official announcement from the club about the England international’s arrival until after the transfer window has opened.

Wednesday, January 2 is the first day that the paperwork can be processed so until then no deal can be completed.

The transfer ran into trouble last week due to the cash demands of Sturridge’s agent but those issues have since been resolved.

Boss Brendan Rodgers had lined up Paris Saint Germain striker Kevin Gameiro as an alternative option, but the Northern Irishman was always confident that Sturridge would grasp the chance to kick-start his career with the Reds.

Sturridge, who has only recently recovered from a hamstring injury and hasn’t played since mid-November, leaves Chelsea after three and a half years at Stamford Bridge.

He has found his opportunities limited in the capital, but boasts a respectable scoring record of 24 goals in 49 starts. He also made a further 47 substitute appearances.

Sturridge, who has four England caps, came through the ranks at Manchester City after joining them at the age of 13.

He made his first-team debut against Reading in 2007 but frustrated by a lack of game-time he rejected a new contract and moved to Chelsea in July 2009.

The Birmingham-born frontman enjoyed a successful loan spell at Bolton in the 2010/11 season when he netted eight goals in 12 games.

Sturridge has been restricted to just one start and six substitute outings in the Premier League so far this season with his only strike in October’s 4-2 win at Tottenham.

Liverpool will now turn their attentions to wrapping up a deal for Blackpool’s Tom Ince. The Reds remain confident that an agreement will be struck.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

#1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge Empty Re: #1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge

Post by Arquitecto Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:37 am

I don't think of commented on this before. I am under the impression the signing of DS23 is quite a controversial let alone unpopular choice. I would say myself he isn't exactly my #1 choice to be our attacking signing. Yet does that mean he will not succeed? Does that mean he cannot be a valuable asset to us? Does the fact that we don't rate him that highly mean he cannot change our opinion of him? Lets start about Daniel Sturridges weak points:

-Highly selfish on the ball and almost to Mauro Zarate levels. Being selfish on the ball is one thing yet in a system which quintessentially requires the individuals to function as one possession based unit, this can be somewhat trouble some given that it can potentially hamper our final third play with his zealous and greedy play

-He hasn't shown that he is exactly strong with his weaker (right) foot. DS23 has an excellent left-foot no doubt as we have seen some of his moment with his right foot has left his fans wanting. He definitely has shown improvement yet once again one-footedness is quite detrimental to this specific possession based system.

-He isn't exactly a clinical finisher. This can be argued though as its based on his confidence which Sturridge essentially banks on.

-His want to play central just like any other young upcoming pre-Madonna who thinks he is Thierry Henry. This will have to be controlled by Rodgers. If DS23 is played central than fine as although I find him more effective out wide like Pato and Walcott (recently converted CFs). Might work as Sturridge playing central means Suarez can go out wide which in my opinion is better suited to Suarez.

Now lets talk about what he CAN do and how he CAN impress us:

-His left foot. Wonderful shot whether power, curlers, passes, free kicks and anything you can expect from a young revered talent.

-Dribbling and control: Sturridge is part of the recent crop of England youngsters who have shown near devastating close control & trickery of the ball following out in a rhythmatic coerver method of dribbles which is similar to the style of Cristiano Ronaldo and Arjen Robben. We can definitely expect him to trouble defences yet the question is can he do it centrally? Will Rodgers play him wide?

-His occasional final pass: DS isn't an individual you'd expect to have a passing vision judging by his general play yet occasionally I have seen brilliant moments of final balls from him scintillating from his left foot as we could definitely use a few better final balls within this system.

-He can carry teams when others are down. Under the 1st half of the season when Andre Villas Boas could not get the best out of his forwards, Daniel Sturridge was known to carry Chelsea well throughout the games with his game winners and excellent goals. 2nd half must be ignored since he was relatively out of favour with Roberto di Matteo.

-Has a solid tactical sense of awareness and positioning as evidenced by his impressive in box movement and excellent link up play.

Of course then there is also Bolton Wanderers in which he scored 8 goals in 12 games and saved Bolton from relegation with his vital goals for them.

-Is only 23. Same age as out-of-favour Andy Carroll.

-Selfish necessarily a bad thing? Yes it is yet it also represents the lack of confidence and swagger that we sometimes get from a very meek Stewart Downing and in some ways Jordan Henderson as surely that confidence has a certain backing behind it.

Truth be told I would have gotten many others aside from DS especially given his price yet I cannot deny his potential. I mean for his limits he used to scare the **** out of me when he played vs us as he looked dangerous on the ball all the time as its a testament to how lethal he can be towards certain sides. Yes he looked more dangerous out wide but what we have in our hands is potentially an exciting player who is at an age who can be moulded, is hungry to play and score and has potential of course.

There also was the 3 year battle of supremacy between Andy Carroll and Daniel Sturridge as putting price aside and Andy's somewhat underrated play and performances for us in certain times Sturridge in the end always was the more dangerous and effective player as I know some will not agree with me on this.

Old rule in judging transfers is how well the fans of the previous club rate the player as we all know how well Chelsea fans rate their youth product as whether he is moulded into a False 9, CF or out wide as usual I am confident he can come well into our hearts as a certain favourite. It will also allow Sterling to finally be benched whilst having a young yet experienced player to add to our depth.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

#1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge Empty Re: #1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge

Post by fatman123 Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:49 am

Will be an awesome signing for Liverpool, there were only two good things that came from AVBs regin-Mata and Sturidge getting game time, through which he proved he was Chelsea best striker.

Although he is undoubtly selfish, it is over exagurated, its not as bad as Zarate (and Stug is much better then him too) and cutting in form the right flank he was deadly last season. Plus he gives you another alternative to Suarez in the middle, which tbf you dont really have atm with Borini still unrpoven (although imo he has a higher potential then Suarez) and Sterling still pretty fresh. Also in terms of clinicity hes going to help you out so much, hes a much better finisher then Suarez (although Suarez does have the better all round game)

how reliable is that 12mil fee? it seems like alot for a player in the last 6 months of his contract with high potenital but a lot of mystery around him, remeber this time last season we got Cahill for around 6mil who was in the same situation
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Borini - Suarez - Sturridge
Sterling - Suarez - Sturridge
Sterling - Sturridge - Suarez
etc.

hmm
Could all be deadly set-ups when in form.

I am curious to see how Rodgers is able to mold and affect Sturridge's game, especially in regard to his selfishness. As I've said before, I have great faith in Rodgers's ability to control and shape a youngsters to play within his system. If there's a manager that can get the most out of Sturridge, I think it is Rodgers. That's why I am so hopeful (maybe even excited) about this transfer. The raw ability is undoubtedly there. The question is, how committed will Sturridge be to adapting to our system and methods.

We will see.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm

fatman123 wrote:Will be an awesome signing for Liverpool, there were only two good things that came from AVBs regin-Mata and Sturidge getting game time, through which he proved he was Chelsea best striker.

Although he is undoubtly selfish, it is over exagurated, its not as bad as Zarate (and Stug is much better then him too) and cutting in form the right flank he was deadly last season. Plus he gives you another alternative to Suarez in the middle, which tbf you dont really have atm with Borini still unrpoven (although imo he has a higher potential then Suarez) and Sterling still pretty fresh. Also in terms of clinicity hes going to help you out so much, hes a much better finisher then Suarez (although Suarez does have the better all round game)

how reliable is that 12mil fee? it seems like alot for a player in the last 6 months of his contract with high potenital but a lot of mystery around him, remeber this time last season we got Cahill for around 6mil who was in the same situation

Hell no, Suarez isnt even 26, We havnt seen his peak yet.
Borini will never be close to what Suarez is. But Borini has youth on his side.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:30 am

yeah Fatman as much as we all love Borini, his potential is nowhere near close to Suarez's. Like Nishy said, he hasn't peaked yet and Borini hasn't really shown anything for us to put him on such a high pedestal.

As for Sturridge agree with almost everything you guys said. Hopefully he's a hit.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:08 am

Sturridge's pace and power and movement make him a handful for any opposition. Throw his natural eye for goal on top of that and we might be signing a new Torres here :bow:

Sturridge :bow:
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:16 am

Art Morte wrote:Sturridge's pace and power and movement make him a handful for any opposition. Throw his natural eye for goal on top of that and we might be signing a new Torres here :bow:

Sturridge :bow:

And they said Santa didn't exist!!! HO HO HO this is a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! ! ! drinking
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:36 am

Suarez is 4-5 levels on top of Borini and Luis isn't even in his peak. Fabio has no chance of becoming a better player. That's no disrespect to Borini, I rate the lad but Suarez >>>>>>>>>>

You're going to cry if you genuinely believe Sturridge to be the "new Torres" - as there's no chance of that happening. Torres was one of the best strikers to ever play for the club. He had the best game to goal ratio in the PL and showed a lot of promise with A.M becoming captain at a young age. Majority of Sturridge's appereances have been off the bench...

____

Where's everyone think he'll play?

As a wide-forward on the right hand side or as the focal point as the CF?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 am

ffs, pooi, don't stop the bandwagon, don't stop it!!

What Sturridge might lack to Torres in the box he will make up with his fierce long-range shots, totally expecting him to threaten Torres's goals-per-game ratio for us :bow:
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 am

Art Morte wrote:ffs, pooi, don't stop the bandwagon, don't stop it!!

What Sturridge might lack to Torres in the box he will make up with his fierce long-range shots, totally expecting him to threaten Torres's goals-per-game ratio for us :bow:

OMG Santa gave life to my Christmas wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drinking Chaka
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

#1 signing of the winter transfer window - Daniel Sturridge Empty The Studger of Anfield - #15 Daniel Sturridge

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm

:bow: Let him make us happy for the next 8-9 years, Amen :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by HOXTYGEN Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Oh now its official "LFC sign Sturridge"....saw him holding jersey number 15; was that number crouchie or yossi?
HOXTYGEN
HOXTYGEN
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:53 pm

You are right on both occasions Hoxty. Crouch was #15 in his 3 years with us when he left us after 07-08 season, Yossi took over the number for the next two years.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Im so happy, even though i wasn't excited about the kid, im just happy we have more strikers now. Lets hope he does well for his sake and our sake. I think just because he dons the pool jersey now i like him. Anyways no one judge him untill he deserves to be judged. I know its hard for us considering the shit we have gone through for the past 5 years, but screw it let him do his thing.

IN BR WE TRUST.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm

I feel the same Mr Very Happy I was really against his signing but now seeing him holding the Pool jersey and knowing that he's our player my heart has already warmed up to him.

I'm %100 percent positive he'll get his first goal on his debut in the FA Cup on the weekend.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by HOXTYGEN Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Going into superstitious mode now.... Looking back on history,are we suppose to make anything out of that jersey number. Might help a lil bit in tuning our expectation.

P.S-- our number 9 jersey was goody great until someone came along,i guess you know the rest.
HOXTYGEN
HOXTYGEN
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm

I second what Mrrrr34 said, feeling happy and relieved that we've got another striker now. I know Sturridge divides opinions about his ability, but he hasn't been playing that much so one can be quite excited and hopeful about his potential.

Here's hoping he'll be a £20m player in a couple of years.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:I feel the same Mr Very Happy I was really against his signing but now seeing him holding the Pool jersey and knowing that he's our player my heart has already warmed up to him.

I'm %100 percent positive he'll get his first goal on his debut in the FA Cup on the weekend.

I m sure, sturridge wont disappoint you...he must have realised today that he has to be at his best to play/start every match Wink

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 am

I'm going to ignore the price here as the nature of the market in this time means players prices become inflated and it has gotten to a point where just being known in English circles adds an extra 5 million pounds to what you would expect to be a rational fee.

Arq has summed what he can and cannot do. As always there is room for improvement in all dimensions - for him to survive in this system it would be imperative for him to change his entire way of approaching the game. From working off the ball , to becoming a more dynamic outlet in terms of movement -those are the adjustments required of him.

I'll address my main issue.

Selfish necessarily a bad thing?

It's the worst thing he can possibly have in this setup. So I see cause for concern.

Suarez has found new life in this system because of the willingness of the wide players to accommodate him. They make auxiliary runs, they space the pitch well enough to give him room to operate and they match his intensity. What you want out of them more than that is production , which admittedly has been an issue.

I've never seen Sturridge as the type of player willing to do those things.

He's the type of player that drifts in and out of positions and roles as he sees fit. He won't take time to learn a system and play within it - not consistently. What will happen is he's going to drift into the centre at any given opportunity and occupy Suarez' space giving defenders the opportunity to crowd both out. Anyone other than Johnson at right back compounds that spacing issue.

I don't think it's going to come down to whether or not he's going to pass. That's a secondary point. I think it come down to whether he has it in him to play in a team not running through him.

If he can't play off the ball effectively - and he can't match the intensity of the front line then the balance the front line has forged will be lost even if some potency is gained.

If he gets the ball is in a nice spot I don't want him passing. He has everything necessary to get a nice shot for himself and he's here to score. But those are opportunities he'll have to work for and which require an "Kuytian" style that I don't know he has in him.

He puts so much effort into imposing his own vision of himself on the game that I don't know if he's flexible enough to enjoy complete success.

The bright side is no matter what occurs he's going to be a very good super-sub.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 am

Here's an interesting article written in fall 2010, profiling Sturridge. It's obviously a bit out of date, but it does a nice job of giving you a little more insight into who Daniel Sturridge is beyond his statistics and position. An interesting read, if nothing else.

Daniel Sturridge: I'm not like other players... I have only one girlfriend and I really wanted to be a wrestler
By Alex Kay UPDATED: 19:06 EST, 25 November 2010

Let's dispel a couple of myths: some footballers do like going to the theatre and Daniel Sturridge is not an overpaid brat. In fact, the Chelsea striker never wanted to be a footballer in the first place.

'When I was six or seven, I was never really into football,' says Sturridge, warming himself up after a freezing hour-and-a-half doing his bit for England's 2018 bid near Heathrow.

'I wanted to be a wrestler. It seemed so real. I used to have all the figures and a little ring and every bit of pocket money I had I used to buy new ones. I still have them now.

'I think I was about 12 when I realised I wasn't going to make it. I didn't have the skills. I used to do moves on my cousins and we had a lot of fun but then I turned up at senior school and thought, "this isn't fun - I shouldn't be doing moves on my cousins". So I focused on something more realistic.'

That was football, and Sturridge certainly has the skills for that. After spells at Aston Villa and Coventry, Sturridge arrived at Manchester City in 2006, and was a resounding success. But when his deal ran out at the end of last season, he turned down City's contract offer of around £45,000 a week - not bad for a 20-year-old - and joined Chelsea for about £25,000 a week more.

It was not looked upon well by some and sources at Chelsea suggested he was a bit big for his boots when he arrived. But despite spending more time than he would like warming the Chelsea bench, Sturridge, now 21, insists money had nothing to do with his move south.

'I had a huge ambition to play for the best club in the world - which I achieved. Nobody can say I left Manchester City for Chelsea for money because Man City is the richest club in the world. Also, City signed lots of strikers so it was difficult for me to stay. When a team like Chelsea comes knocking, you have to take the opportunity. I think I'm a better player now so the move has been beneficial. Everything's worked out as I thought - besides the fact I'm not playing as much as I would like.'

And there lies the problem for Sturridge. He's rated highly and looks bright when he plays - he was probably Chelsea's best player against MSK Zilina on Tuesday - but he spends most of his time on the bench. He has made just three Premier League starts for the club and, while he is not stupid enough to start kicking up a fuss, you can sense a degree of frustration.

'I'm at the age when I want to be starting. I'm not saying the manager needs to oust other players to get me in but I need to be playing more often. It's important at a young age to be playing regularly because that's how you learn to play the game.

'When you're coming off the bench it's difficult to get into the pace of the game and do well. I don't want to be branded a super-sub. I'd rather be branded a super-starter.

'It's quite frustrating but you have to find a way of dealing with that because you're not going to get everything your own way. The opportunities will come.

'Look at Gareth Bale. He's doing amazingly but it wasn't so long ago people were talking about how he hadn't won a game. That's from the conf idence of playing regularly.'

For the moment, Sturridge can still be classed a young player. But in a year or two, you would argue, he needs to be fulfilling his potential - even if that means doing what he doesn't want to do and leaving Chelsea. Swansea tried to take him on loan this week but Sturridge isn't interested, for now.

'If the opportunities don't come in due time, obviously I will have to look elsewhere,' he adds. 'Because it is only a matter of time until you get frustrated. But you have to be patient at a club like Chelsea. 'Going out on loan doesn't always do you good. It could be better to stay and work hard because it will then feel so much better when you do get your chance.

'I want to be a regular at Chelsea - not anywhere else. I believe I am able to start games for Chelsea. I've spoken to the manager about getting opportunities.'
With those opportunities not arising, Sturridge has to take his mind off football. That's where the theatre comes in.

'My girlfriend is a drama student so I rehearse lines with her. We go to watch a lot of shows together. I went to see War Horse recently. I didn't cry but I was quite emotional. I wanted to.

'Since I saw that, I've not been impressed by anything. You can have a fun night at Lion King or Sister Act or other musicals, but this was more serious, more intense.'

It is not the sort of activity you generally associate with footballers, but Sturridge thinks he is different, and it sounds like his girlfriend should be thankful for that.

'I'm not like everyone else. I only have one girlfriend, I don't go out to clubs and go drinking. But I don't think there is anything wrong with players doing that. People in every other job do, so it's wrong for people to say footballers can't.'

With that discipline, Sturridge could fulfil his dream of becoming a Chelsea regular and, eventually, an England player. It is with that in mind that he was at Heathrow to put his signature to the British Airways plane that will take the England bid team to Zurich for next week's vote.

'It felt great. Supporting the bid is such a big thing for me. Hopefully we can win it and win the World Cup. I'd love to score a goal in the final.'

That may be a far-off dream, but a more immediate reality is settling the odds with Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka when they meet after training today for their weekly shooting contest. Sturridge and Ashley Cole are fierce rivals of Drogba and Anelka, with the first player to score getting to pick who is kicked out of the game.

'It's last man standing. Normally I'll send Didier in. I've made a few enemies now. I've got a list in my locker of them - so does Nico. Didier scored the last time we played and I just walked because I knew what was coming.'

With so much promise, Chelsea will be hoping Sturridge does not end up walking out for good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1333077/Daniel-Sturridge-Im-like-players-.html
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 am

I never had any positive vibes regarding DS15. But that means nothing. It doesn't mean he can't prove me wrong and become a Great Kop. He always seemed errily similar to Carroll, too much hyped.

Now that he is a Liverpool player, he will have my support but also the custodian of my aspirations.

Is he and Suarez going to be in each others way! Both are potent and intent on finding the net. Our wide players had scoring chances. It's their inability that has costed both the team and the players. So if DS15 has that maturity and vision he can have all the goals he want without compromising the team.

£12 million is a bit too much for someone with 6 months left. But untill we return to CL, every team and player will squeez these extra bucks from us.

Question. Do you expect Downing to be dropped for DS15 or should Rahim come off the bench!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 am

To answer last part Ifthi, I think they both will be dropped when Borini is back from injury. Until then Downing has been in a decent form so I expect to see him in the line up against Yanited ahead of Sterling.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 am

Welcome Daniel son.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Optimistic and excited about the signing. Hoping he hits the ground running and not let the scape-goat artists get on his back undeservedly.

Daniel certainly has a lot of talent but he can be a frustrating player too at times. Imo he needs to play on a regular basis to get the best out of him.

It will be interesting to see what his normal position will be. I put normal in italics because I expect to see him change positions regularly during a game. I can see a lot of interchange in the front positions.

Last edited by Irish_Catalan_Scouser on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next