MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
Red Alert
poolsupporter
McAgger
Nishankly
19 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Do you want Aquilani at Anfield next season?

Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_lcap21%Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_lcap21%Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_lcap7%Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_lcap43%Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_lcap7%Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 14

Alberto Aquilani - Page 4 Empty Re: Alberto Aquilani

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 am

poolsupporter wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:The fact is Spearing has never played as a DM for us . Also Lucas is going to Copa America this year and needs to be managed properly . Otherwise he will suffer burnout so decent cover. Going into next season with unproven Spearing as DM is a huge risk we cant afford .

My gut feel is that we will buy Adam and a CB who can cover DM when needed . Also Meireles has played as DM for Portugal if am not mistaken . Maybe he can provide cover too when needed .

Meireles' fitness is terrible IMO. He runs out of steam by the 70th minute. And that's while playing up front. Playing as DM he'd burn out faster.

Meireles fitness is terrible is a myth . He covers more ground than anyone in the league . Also he was subbed only twice or thrice after 70 min that too because of injury .

BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 am

Nishank wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:The fact is Spearing has never played as a DM for us . Also Lucas is going to Copa America this year and needs to be managed properly . Otherwise he will suffer burnout so decent cover. Going into next season with unproven Spearing as DM is a huge risk we cant afford .

My gut feel is that we will buy Adam and a CB who can cover DM when needed . Also Meireles has played as DM for Portugal if am not mistaken . Maybe he can provide cover too when needed .

Considering Spearing played 16 games this season and has been one of the most consistent in the latter half of the season. i would call him a proven DM.

As for Meireles, I have to say Spearing is much better than him defensively .. IMO.
But offensively i think he isnt that good, But he still does the job..
I have no idea but i would keep him..

If Adam does arrive, I really don't have any idea about Spearing or Shelvey's position at Liverpool.

U are missing the point . In all those 16 matches he had Lucas next to him . He played as a CM not as DM . He is a good CM but unproven DM at this level .

Also Meireles has played as DM for Portugal against Spain and Argentina . He is excellent defensively .

I am not sure who u are referring to offensively not good either Miereles or Spearing .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:24 am

poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

I wouldn't expect DC to say anything to the contrary tbh. Henderson is not going to be starter. Unless someone is injured obviously. The thing with him is he HAS to be used in a proper position to get the best out of him. His defensive qualities are nothing like Lucas or Spearing. So playing him deeper is a big risk. As for Alonso style, not sure about that either. He definitely doesn't have the passing range nor the consistency to carry that out.

It all ultimately depends on what formation Kenny uses. I still love the 4-2-3-1, but I've seen the 4-3-3 thrown around a lot as well.

If Adam does come in, Then a 4-3-3 will be used, Considering Kenny will try to employ as many CM's as possible in the squad.

Once again this is not ideal. Adam, Gerrard and Raul will be first in the CM pecking order. None of whom are noted for their defensive abilities.

Every Adam discussion is just proving how unnecessary he really is.

Disagree. I think Lucas will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

Player of the year and Kenny loves him to the state that asked fans for a song...Lucas' place is firm....other 2 spots will be fought for in my eyes. If Adam comes, he'll know he won't be a starter, well that's how I see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

Meireles' fitness is terrible IMO. He runs out of steam by the 70th minute. And that's while playing up front. Playing as DM he'd burn out faster.

Meireles fitness is terrible is a myth . He covers more ground than anyone in the league . Also he was subbed only twice or thrice after 70 min that too because of injury .

You have to be kidding me. I'll admit his fitness has improved, but usually towards the last 15 minutes of the game he looks like he is going to die. I don't have any stats to prove it, but I'm assuming my observation is enough. Compare the last 15 minutes of Suarez and Meireles for example. Very, very different. He can play as a CM with some freedom, but as a plain old DM, doubt it would work. Well, it could work for a bit, but I seriously question his fitness and I doubt he'd be very consistent.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 am

poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

I wouldn't expect DC to say anything to the contrary tbh. Henderson is not going to be starter. Unless someone is injured obviously. The thing with him is he HAS to be used in a proper position to get the best out of him. His defensive qualities are nothing like Lucas or Spearing. So playing him deeper is a big risk. As for Alonso style, not sure about that either. He definitely doesn't have the passing range nor the consistency to carry that out.

It all ultimately depends on what formation Kenny uses. I still love the 4-2-3-1, but I've seen the 4-3-3 thrown around a lot as well.

If Adam does come in, Then a 4-3-3 will be used, Considering Kenny will try to employ as many CM's as possible in the squad.

Once again this is not ideal. Adam, Gerrard and Raul will be first in the CM pecking order. None of whom are noted for their defensive abilities.

Adam wont be starter for us . Our first choice midfield will be Gerrard Lucas and Meireles with Adam Spearing and Henderson covering . Henderson is also versatile enough to cover for Suarez on the RW .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 am

poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

Lets see what Adam brings to the squad

Positives-
1. Left foot.
2. Excellent performance in a much weaker team.

Negatives -
1. High fee as compared to championship players.
2. Wages.
3. A slot of the squad which can be filled players of different positions ex LB Smile
4. Too many CM's
5. Hinder development of Coady, Spearing, Shelvey.
6. Squad depth doesn't even come into this considering we have signed Henderson. Remember? All of us agreed in goal.com that CM is not the first position that we think requires strengthening in the summer.

IMO this 8-10 million can be utilized in a much better way.
What do you guys think?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 am

Sepi wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

Disagree. I think Lucas will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

Player of the year and Kenny loves him to the state that asked fans for a song...Lucas' place is firm....other 2 spots will be fought for in my eyes. If Adam comes, he'll know he won't be a starter, well that's how I see it.

It was a hypothetical scenario if Adam were to come and get a starting place. If he comes really cheap for very small wages, it wouldn't bother me. But it shouldn't be a priority. I think we have more than enough quality and depth currently.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
U are missing the point . In all those 16 matches he had Lucas next to him . He played as a CM not as DM . He is a good CM but unproven DM at this level .

Also Meireles has played as DM for Portugal against Spain and Argentina . He is excellent defensively .

I am not sure who u are referring to offensively not good either Miereles or Spearing .

So i am guessing you mean playing Spearing at DM alone?
Then i agree he can't do it. But with Lucas or someone else at his side, He will certainly do the job.

And duh!
Spearing is not good offensively!!!!
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 am

Adam's Positives:

-Left foot (Offers Balance)
- Excellent delivery
- A Matchwinner on the bench
- Low wages

Negatives:
- Defensively suspect
- 7M could be considered high for a Championship player
- Might deny Shelvey some playing time (though I believe he'll go on loan)

In Balance:
- If it didn't work out, we're still very likely to get at least 7M for him...

I wouldn't dance or be over the moon if he is signed...but I will understand the purchase from Kenny's POV

Last edited by Sepi on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 am

poolsupporter wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

You have to be kidding me. I'll admit his fitness has improved, but usually towards the last 15 minutes of the game he looks like he is going to die. I don't have any stats to prove it, but I'm assuming my observation is enough. Compare the last 15 minutes of Suarez and Meireles for example. Very, very different. He can play as a CM with some freedom, but as a plain old DM, doubt it would work. Well, it could work for a bit, but I seriously question his fitness and I doubt he'd be very consistent.

U cant compare Suarez to Meireles . Suarez is a forward who dont need to work hard . Meireles covers the ground more than anyone IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE .Imagine he covers more ground than Kuyt and Lucas . Ofcourse he will be more tired than Suarez . But as i said he is not replaced after 70 minutes often . Only times he was replaced that early in the matches were when he was injured .

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am

Sepi wrote:

In Balance:

Considering he was a championship player who flopped in the PL. I think we won't be able to sell him for more than half of that.

PS @ everyone- I edited the thread title. Smile
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

Adam wont be starter for us . Our first choice midfield will be Gerrard Lucas and Meireles with Adam Spearing and Henderson covering . Henderson is also versatile enough to cover for Suarez on the RW .

I already said this about half an hour ago. We have been crying for proper wingers and width. While Henderson is versatile enough to cover that position, by no means is he an out and out winger. That fact that we all complained so many times when Kuyt, Maxi, Jova and Cole did badly this season on a number of occasions is further testament that depth in positions that provide width should be a bigger priority.

If Adam doesn't get a starting place, it's safe to say he will lose out on match fitness. Counting on him to be consistent throughout a season as a sub is not ideal.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

U cant compare Suarez to Meireles . Suarez is a forward who dont need to work hard . Meireles covers the ground more than anyone IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE .Imagine he covers more ground than Kuyt and Lucas . Ofcourse he will be more tired than Suarez . But as i said he is not replaced after 70 minutes often . Only times he was replaced that early in the matches were when he was injured .

The point was to make note that Suarez does a ton of running. And I'd love to see this stat about the ground Meireles covers. I really would. He generally looks dead to me 10-15 minutes from the final whistle. Not all the time, but often.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 am

BeautifulGame wrote:

Disagree;
From what i have seen, Suarez is one of the only guys along with Lucas and Raul who actually push their limits of stamina in a game.
But yes, Suarez keeps running whether its the first min or the last, Whether he is in the box or in the opposite half.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 am

Nishank wrote:
Sepi wrote:

In Balance:

Considering he was a championship player who flopped in the PL. I think we won't be able to sell him for more than half of that.

PS @ everyone- I edited the thread title. Smile

Nishank. It's England we're talking about Very Happy

Danny Graham, a Championship striker from Watford transferred to Swansea for almost 5M the other day. Charlie Adam will carry the reputation of a man that was mintues away from single handedly saving that mediocre Blackpool squad from relegation. His stock will be high even if it doesn't work out, hence fee not a problem for me and I wouldn't consider the fee a risk.

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 am

Nishank wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

So i am guessing you mean playing Spearing at DM alone?
Then i agree he can't do it. But with Lucas or someone else at his side, He will certainly do the job.

And duh!
Spearing is not good offensively!!!!

Yep thats what i am referring too . We need cover for Lucas .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

poolsupporter wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
Nishank wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:

I already said this about half an hour ago. We have been crying for proper wingers and width. While Henderson is versatile enough to cover that position, by no means is he an out and out winger. That fact that we all complained so many times when Kuyt, Maxi, Jova and Cole did badly this season on a number of occasions is further testament that depth in positions that provide width should be a bigger priority.

If Adam doesn't get a starting place, it's safe to say he will lose out on match fitness. Counting on him to be consistent throughout a season as a sub is not ideal.

When we play 4-3-3 we dont need 2 natural wingers . I would expect us to play

Gerrard------Lucas---------Meireles

Suares-----------------Carroll----------------Left winger

Quality crosses need not only be given by wingers . We can always depend on Gerrard to drift wide on right side whenever Suarez cuts inside . Like we played against Chelsea and United when Gerrard was fit . I think Henderson is pretty good at doing that from what i have read .

We arent exactly crying for proper wingers for years more like players who can beat players and provide width .Big difference there .

I am just curious who we are buy for LW . whether a proper winger or wide forward like Mata .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 am

Lotsa talk about defensive qualities, I'd just like to say this:

Defenders (CBs, FBs) face a lot of 1-on-1 defending. DM a fair amount of it. After that it's much more about the teams joint effort, which can be influenced by good coaching. I wouldn't worry about the defensive abilities of any of our CMs nor R/LMs nor forwards. Those players need to defend as a unit and 1-on-1 situations are rather rare for them.

I wouldn't call any of Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Pedro a good defensive player on their own, but when they press the opposition together & organized like we know they can, they are a helluva defensive unit.

About squad depth still:
£ 15m+ players sitting regularly on the bench isn't wise, imo. Funds are limited, especially under FFP. I don't think there are many regular bench players in the BPL whose value is £ 15m or above, no? I know I'm sounding financially awfully strict here, but ideally depth is provided by either good youngsters (Shelvey & co.) or very good players who are starting to be past their peak (Kuyt & co.) - not by expensive players in their prime (unless you're Real Madrid or Manchester City, of course).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 am

So Juve really aren't going to sign Aqua.... I don't want him to be Milan's big midfield signing but I can't say I would be disappointed about a transfer...
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 am

Art Morte wrote:Lotsa talk about defensive qualities, I'd just like to say this:

Defenders (CBs, FBs) face a lot of 1-on-1 defending. DM a fair amount of it. After that it's much more about the teams joint effort, which can be influenced by good coaching. I wouldn't worry about the defensive abilities of any of our CMs nor R/LMs nor forwards. Those players need to defend as a unit and 1-on-1 situations are rather rare for them.

I wouldn't call any of Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Pedro a good defensive player on their own, but when they press the opposition together & organized like we know they can, they are a helluva defensive unit.

About squad depth still:
£ 15m+ players sitting regularly on the bench isn't wise, imo. Funds are limited, especially under FFP. I don't think there are many regular bench players in the BPL whose value is £ 15m or above, no? I know I'm sounding financially awfully strict here, but ideally depth is provided by either good youngsters (Shelvey & co.) or very good players who are starting to be past their peak (Kuyt & co.) - not by expensive players in their prime (unless you're Real Madrid or Manchester City, of course).

United had Anderson ( 18 mil ) , Young (16 mil ?) , Berbatov (30 mil ) , Jones ( 16 mil ) , Smalling (12 mil ) , Carrcik ( 18 mil ) all squad players for them next season . I wont even go into Chelsea or City's squad . Having youngsters without experience as squad will result in midtable mediocrity . If we want to compete with the best we need to invest into squad players . Otherwise even Spurs will overtake us .

We dont have any clue how much funds we have available this season .Do we ? I am sure the club would have thought about FFP rules before spending on squad players . FFS even City and chelsea arent bothered about FFP why would we after having a negative net spend for last three years be concerned ?

We complain when we dont have the money and then complain when spend money .

Last edited by BeautifulGame on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am

Brigate Rossonere wrote:So Juve really aren't going to sign Aqua.... I don't want him to be Milan's big midfield signing but I can't say I would be disappointed about a transfer...

Is there any credibility in the rumours to Milan ? Even if u bought him i would expect to be a squad player TBH .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
United had Anderson ( 18 mil ) , Young (16 mil ?) , Berbatov (30 mil ) , Jones ( 16 mil ) , Smalling (12 mil ) , Carrcik ( 18 mil ) all squad players for them next season . I wont even go into Chelsea or City's squad . Having youngsters without experience as squad will result in midtable mediocrity . If we want to compete with the best we need to invest into squad players . Otherwise even Spurs will overtake us .

We dont have any clue how much funds we have available this season .Do we ? I am sure the club would have thought about FFP rules before spending on squad players . FFS even City and chelsea arent bothered about FFP why would we after having a negative net spend for last three years be concerned ?

Obviously you need a few very good subs, but, for instance, if Henderson ends up being mostly a bench player after having spent £ 20m on him, I think that's too much. If you've got high quality First XI and slightly-above-average bench, I think that's already quite good. Manchester United's revenue is much higher than ours, so, in theory, they probably can afford to have a little stronger bench than we do. Chelsea & City again are posting massive losses year-in year-out.

I don't complain about spending money, I just wish we spent it clever. (Not saying we haven't so far, just, you know, Central Midfield was supposedly our strongest part, yet our first signing is a CM.)
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

Art Morte wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

Obviously you need a few very good subs, but, for instance, if Henderson ends up being mostly a bench player after having spent £ 20m on him, I think that's too much. If you've got high quality First XI and slightly-above-average bench, I think that's already quite good. Manchester United's revenue is much higher than ours, so, in theory, they probably can afford to have a little stronger bench than we do. Chelsea & City again are posting massive losses year-in year-out.

I don't complain about spending money, I just wish we spent it clever. (Not saying we haven't so far, just, you know, Central Midfield was supposedly our strongest part, yet our first signing is a CM.)

If we want to compete with the likes of United and City and win silverware we should have spend on bothsquad players and first team players . Otherwise we wont get to where we want to be . Simple fact .

Worrying about who we first sign is pointless .Just because we increase the depth of our CM doesnt mean we wont sign our priorities .

You are worrying we havent yet signed our priorities only a week into the window . Seriously ?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 am

BeautifulGame wrote:

If we want to compete with the likes of United and City and win silverware we should have spend on bothsquad players and first team players . Otherwise we wont get to where we want to be . Simple fact .

Worrying about who we first sign is pointless .Just because we increase the depth of our CM doesnt mean we wont sign our priorities .

You are worrying we havent yet signed our priorities only a week into the window . Seriously ?

Yes,
But IMHO Adam is a squad player and Henderson is a starter, Henderson has come for around 20 million while Adam would come for 8. I personally feel we should have either signed Adam or a DM [ Matuidi, M'Vila etc].

I have to agree with Art and everyone will agree with him because, CM wouldn't be the first position that would come to my mind when i think of Strengthening or Squad depth.

But still im hoping Henderson get down to business and shows what he has got on Sunday.. But anyways im happy we have made a 20 million signing without selling anyone..
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:38 am

Nishank wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

Yes,
But IMHO Adam is a squad player and Henderson is a starter, Henderson has come for around 20 million while Adam would come for 8. I personally feel we should have either signed Adam or a DM [ Matuidi, M'Vila etc].

I have to agree with Art and everyone will agree with him because, CM wouldn't be the first position that would come to my mind when i think of Strengthening or Squad depth.

But still im hoping Henderson get down to business and shows what he has got on Sunday.. But anyways im happy we have made a 20 million signing without selling anyone..

This is our front 6 .

LW---------Carroll-------------Surarez

Meireles-----Lucas----------------Gerrard

Where do u think he will start . Just because we paid 16 mil doest mean he will start . He is bought in for the future starter . He will be a squad player for now and will establish into the XI and replace Gerrard or Meireles eventually .

Again did Kenny or Comolli tell us we wont sign cover for DM if we sign Adam . Why are u jumping to conclusions ?

If we thought we should sign a LW or LB and only then look to sign squad players we will then end up with no one . United's priority is CM but they signed a CB first .Why do u think that ?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 am

BeautifulGame wrote:

A simple fact is also that United generate currently about £ 100m more revenue each year than we do. We cannot approach our spending from the point of view that we must equal what others spend.

I'm not worrying about signing the right players, I like that we got Henderson, I'm just voicing my opinion that I think - in our current position both player quality and finances wise - it's more important to strenghten our First XI than our bench.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next