Zealous
Catracho
free_cat
guest7
sportsczy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super read:  Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco Empty Super read: Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

Honestly, i didn't realize this. It's a shame that players who sign agreements years ago are basically held prisoner by them. Now i will never, ever make fun of players like Falcao, Hulk and others in this situation for where they play... they have very limited choices.

Please read this.

Also, i don't know the handle here of the person who posted this on the other site. Come here and take a bow my man. This is truly a great post from you.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Super read:  Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco Empty Re: Super read: Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco

Post by guest7 Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Great read. I don't think Falcao's situation is that bad, Monaco seem to be building a nice team for the future and his wages will be ridiculously high, seriously. Hulk's however.... That's just a horrible situation to be in.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Super read:  Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco Empty Re: Super read: Explaining the Falcao move to Monaco

Post by free_cat Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Except this article is wrong, because a player who has his registration rights owned by a third has to agree in order to move to a team.

Also, Falcao will have to pay income tax in Spain for five years if he goes to Monaco as Spanish law declares individuals who move to a tax haven as Spanish tax residents for the next 5 years.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 pm

He's not Spanish or EU free... he's Colombian. He owes no taxes to Spain once he stops working there.

Also, the player can choose to forego his approval rights if he sells it for consideration (cash).... which happens often. You can sign away things if you want to and more than a few players do.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 pm

It doesn't matter where he is from. He is now a Spanish tax resident and tax law applies to tax residents, not citizens only. If he moves to a tax haven, he'll have to pay taxes in Spain for 5 more years. it's an anti-tax haven rule, Spain has dozens of them. I can post you the article of the law if you don't believe me.

Never heard about that second point but it sounds a bit illegal.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Don't be surprised if you hear the same about Neymar in the coming years, whose 40% of his economic right is owned by DIS Agency.

This is a very common practice in South America sadly.
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm

You're wrong free. It's only if you want to maintain residency in Spain or France for example that you remain under their tax umbrella... as a non-citizen, you are not compelled to maintain residency. Once you stop working in the country, you can immediately rescind the residency at the end of the fiscal year if you've been there for over 6 months or immediately for any period less than 6 months of that fiscal year. Under no circumstance do you continue to pay taxes beyond the fiscal year in question.

I'm 100% certain of this. I spent half my career as an expat in various countries and my industry makes it very critical to understand wealth tax regulations.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 pm

free_cat wrote:It doesn't matter where he is from. He is now a Spanish tax resident and tax law applies to tax residents, not citizens only. If he moves to a tax haven, he'll have to pay taxes in Spain for 5 more years. it's an anti-tax haven rule, Spain has dozens of them. I can post you the article of the law if you don't believe me.

Never heard about that second point but it sounds a bit illegal.

This sounds like a ridiculous rule considering he is not a Spanish national. Is there a minimum time he has to be a resident for that rule to kick in? What if he doesn't owe Spain any taxes before he moves? Would he still have to pay for 5 years?
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 14, 2013 6:47 pm

sportsczy wrote:You're wrong free. It's only if you want to maintain residency in Spain or France for example that you remain under their tax umbrella... as a non-citizen, you are not compelled to maintain residency. Once you stop working in the country, you can immediately rescind the residency at the end of the fiscal year if you've been there for over 6 months or immediately for any period less than 6 months of that fiscal year. Under no circumstance do you continue to pay taxes beyond the fiscal year in question.

I'm 100% certain of this. I spent half my career as an expat in various countries and my industry makes it very critical to understand wealth tax regulations.

This makes much more sense. Also sounds much more fair.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I think you are right and it only affects to Spanish nationals.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 pm

I think you are right and it only affects to Spanish nationals.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Yeah... i had the same problem in France when they announced the 75% tax bracket (that never passed thank gawd). I had to leave for England so that i didn't get tagged with it for living here more than 6 months. I needed to get rid of my residency ASAP. Scared the heck out of me. We checked out all the neighboring countries to see what our options were. That's why i'm pretty current.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes, I checked out the law and it's only for nationals, sorry for the misunderstanding. But if Messi or Villa where to sign for Monaco, this law would apply and they would have to pay taxes in Spain for 5 more years.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 7:08 pm

As long as they're Spanish, absolutely.

Top reason why a lot of players bolt to Russia for the money... they have a flat tax rate of 13%. Spain used to have the "Bekham tax law"... but that stopped recently.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue May 14, 2013 7:22 pm

So...

what if nobody is willing to pay 60m euros for Falcao? He is 27, his value won't grow any higher. Should the owners of his rights accept a loss or keep him at Atletico and hope a 60m offer comes in later?

These third-party ownerships are really bad, by the way, I hope they get banned soon - or they banned already? If I understand this right, Atletico have a player here whom they cannot sell unless that third-party majority owner agrees to the sale.

Also, it could be that Falcao does not want to move to Monaco. A player cannot be forced to join a club against his will, although almost always they accept whatever is the best-paying move for them, so usually this isn't a problem. But I doubt that Falcao fancies playing for Monaco.

What I'm also wondering that what if a player with third-party ownership becomes a free-agent and wishes to join a new club. Does that new club still have to buy out that third-party ownership, i.e. is the player not really a free-agent after all, despite having no club paying him wages? So a third-party owned player could have his career ruined if his third-party owner stubbornly says "No, I won't sell you for less than 10m despite you currently have no club" and that 10m offer never comes in?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm

yeah... but Falcao has already agreed to the move. Mendes was in Monaco to finalize the paperwork on Monday. It will be made official at the end of the season.

Monaco is also looking to buy Hulk who is under a similar thing. Tevez is the preference.. but Hulk is the second option.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Falcao may leave for Madrid in January and Tevez would be the man after Falcao leaves.
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Not sure if we would pull the trigger on Falcao in the winter. I guess it would depend on how desperate we are by that time.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm

there is no Madrid clause in Falcao's deal with Monaco according to the lastest reports about the pre season deal he signed on Monday. It's something the player wanted but MOnaco dont want to look stupid in december
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Wed May 15, 2013 3:25 am

It's still an absolute abomination for this to happen Laughing

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 am

AVB said the reason it was hard to sign Damiao in the winter was because of "third party" issues.

This seems pretty ridiculous...
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 21, 2013 2:39 pm

Raptor... read this article. It explains the 3rd part thing.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Bumping this because i think the same article just got posted. Should probably merge.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue May 28, 2013 5:47 pm

If only the players got to choose where they could move to, then I'm sure every player would probably want to be owned by a 3rd party.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 28, 2013 5:48 pm

MERGE! Didn't see this earlier.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next